PTQ Coming Up! STRESSING!

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
DREDGE OR TRON? DREDGE OR TRON?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can't decide what to play!!! Either way I'm going to get a set of Chrome Mox but I've fallen in love with both decks so much that I don't even know what to play!!!

The Pittsburgh PTQ ins't until Feb. 14, but that leaves with me exactly one month to prep!

DREDGE OR TRON*?!

*U/B Tron
DredgeTron

You can do it; I have faith in you.
Step 1: List all possible Tier 1 and tier 2 matchups.

Step 2: Determine which deck has more favorable matchups. Also determine which deck can beat the Big 3 more reliably: Zoo, Elves, and Fae.

Step 3: Pick the right deck!
honestly? dredge > tron

Tron is easily disrupted and regardless of its really good matchups, it has pretty bad ones. If your opponent packs lots of hate for dredge, he wont see you in top 8 if you lose that one round. =]
Go with Dredge. There's nothing more fun than winning with Narcomoeba beats. Or Stinkweed Pimp beats.
Step 1: List all possible Tier 1 and tier 2 matchups.

Step 2: Determine which deck has more favorable matchups. Also determine which deck can beat the Big 3 more reliably: Zoo, Elves, and Fae.

Step 3: Pick the right deck!

There should be a step in the middle which is "after you've seen the matchups try and tweak so that you have better ones against the bad matchups." That said, I'm deciding between two decks (if i go), both of which are extremely obnoxious.
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
Dredge is what you know. Go with it.
Dredge.

I'm taking aggro loam, baby.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Legitimately laughed at this...haha
No kidding. +1 internets for a hidden gem in the standard deck help.
Could I by any chance have a link to the PTQ announcements?
NO ONE EXPECTS THE QUAGSIRE INSURRECTION! My SUPER AWESOME GregtheEgg lightning bolt: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm284/fengairen2/Scan.png pmppostchandraversion.png
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
So when UR Delver came out to win a GP, did Christian Calcano email/call you and thank you personally, or was there just a mutual understanding?
Man, that grinds my gears... the Florida one is only a week after I go back up to college. I think I'm going to miss GP: Tampa as well.
Just play Dredge. It's the better deck and you know it better.

Also, I'm really upset that I'll have to miss at least one of the PTQs in my area, and quite possibly both. I was feeling really good about this year.
Dredge it is. I'm going to be working hard over the next month to acquire all of the cards I need to finish off the deck (namely Chrome Mox).

I know this isn't a trading board, but here's what I need and what I have if anyone is interested:

Needs: 3-4x Chrome Mox
2x Pithing Needle
3x Chain of Vapor
1x Blazing Archon
4x City of Brass
3x Watery Grave
4x Gemstone Mines
2x Glimpse the Unthinkable

I think I'll be able to acquire Chalice of the Void, although I might need 2 of those as well. Ok here's any relevent cards that people might want that I'm willing to trade:

4x Stomping Grounds
4x Temple Garden
4x Chameleon Colossus
2x Bitterblossom
1x Cryptic Command
1x Cloudthresher
1x Wrath of God
1x Trinisphere

All are in nm conidition except for 1 colossus who has a tiny red star in the corner but is tournament legal and otherwise in perfect condition.

Just PM me if you're interested - although if you're not an active poster on these boards chances are I won't want to trade with you.
Makaro: Where do you live? I'm in St. Pete, and I'll be going to college either in gainesville or Sarasota in the fall, so if I want to go to a PTQ/GP:Tampa I'll be able to.
WOW. When was the PTQ schedule released? It's a real kick in the balls -- if I had known Kitchener was having a PTQ, I would have headed up there for Christmas, with what it being my hometown!
There isn't even a PTQ in my country >_<. Oh well, I only play online anyway, since 'competitive' magic means FNM std here.

Best of luck to those of you who are going!
Anybody planning on coming to the Pittsbrugh tournament?
Makaro: Where do you live? I'm in St. Pete, and I'll be going to college either in gainesville or Sarasota in the fall, so if I want to go to a PTQ/GP:Tampa I'll be able to.

I live near West Palm Beach (east coast), but I go to college at Cornell University in New York, so I'm only home during the summer and for a month in the winter.
Anybody planning on coming to the Pittsbrugh tournament?

me. i'll be one of the ******s in a Superior Sports Cards shirts: black with silver writing.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
me. i'll be one of the ******s in a Superior Sports Cards shirts: black with silver writing.

Oh wow you live in Oakland! That's only like 30 minutes from here. Any ideas on what our meta is going to look like?
Oh wow you live in Oakland! That's only like 30 minutes from here. Any ideas on what our meta is going to look like?

i know one person will take Storm, maximum ******** jr will surely be beating face with affinity, strong sad will have faeries (with which he'll reach time EVERY match), one will build something powerful like death cloud but opt to play a new deck the night before, and i'll bring aggroloam... the usuals basically.

^^from my group of friends. the meta here is almost always varied.

btw, where you from?
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
Gibsonia - out in the suburbs. Are you in college in Oakland or have you graduated?
i'm at pitt, 3rd year.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
Sweeet. I have tons of friends there. Do you usually go to Phantom of the Attic for mtg events?
I'll be at the Pittsburgh PTQ.

norbert88
I'll be at the Pittsburgh PTQ.

norbert88

What are you planning on bringing?
What are you planning on bringing?

No idea. I've been testing out a lot of decks, I still have a lot of testing to do before I figure out what deck I want to play.

norbert88
I live near West Palm Beach (east coast), but I go to college at Cornell University in New York, so I'm only home during the summer and for a month in the winter.

I live in Miami, so if you guys end up going toss me a pm so we could meet up there or something. Im down to go.
Sweeet. I have tons of friends there. Do you usually go to Phantom of the Attic for mtg events?

umm, not usually. some of the players that go are good. Those're mainly the cmu kids and moses. but generally, they're all greasy and annoying. i'll show up every now and then for a draft fnm because i hate t2. if i want to hang out with others that play mtg, i'll take a bus ride to tarentum or (i'm drawing a blank, the place near tarentum) for Superior Sports Cards or Mr. Nice Guy's.
57860688 wrote:
121183109 wrote:
57074928 wrote:
umm, not usually. some of the players that go are good. Those're mainly the cmu kids and moses. but generally, they're all greasy and annoying. i'll show up every now and then for a draft fnm because i hate t2. if i want to hang out with others that play mtg, i'll take a bus ride to tarentum or (i'm drawing a blank, the place near tarentum) for Superior Sports Cards or Mr. Nice Guy's.

Haha. I'm waiting to hear back from CMU. I swear I'm not greasy though xD. And yeah.. I hate t2 as well.
Kanti: I'll probably go to the Ocoee one on April 4, there's no way I can get to the PTQ in 2 weeks.
I see a lot of people saying you should go dredge, but I honestly think you should go tron, for two reasons-

1: A lot of people seem to be picking up the rock/ deathcloud lists which run sakura tribe elder. Getting randomly hosed by steve is pretty weak.

2: Considering the popularity of cards like life from the loam I'm thinking that there will be a fair amount of graveyard hate in people's boards.
I see a lot of people saying you should go dredge, but I honestly think you should go tron, for two reasons-

1: A lot of people seem to be picking up the rock/ deathcloud lists which run sakura tribe elder. Getting randomly hosed by steve is pretty weak.

2: Considering the popularity of cards like life from the loam I'm thinking that there will be a fair amount of graveyard hate in people's boards.

Nah. I'm going Dredge. It's a deck I've been tweaking for a long time and has already shown itself to be awesome.
Nah. I'm going Dredge. It's a deck I've been tweaking for a long time and has already shown itself to be awesome.

Good Choice. I think Dredge is the better way to go, Tron is fun, but I don't think it's good against the "T1" decks.