PTQ Honolulu Decklists Up

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.deckcheck.net/event.php?event=PTQ+Ho...

...I'm speechless.

Evilweevil is definitely about to say "I told you so."
Who is evilweevil and why?
I like the Faeries list. It probably will be one of the several lists I test before PTQ season.
Current decks: Type II: B/R Vampires Extended: Modern: U/G Scapeshift 1.5: Ichorid, Elf Combo
The Faeries list is good. I'm considering running something similar except maybe finding a way to mainboard Trink Mages and Chalice MB.
Who is evilweevil and why?

He's an active forum member on these boards who has been saying all along that Affinity was going to make a comeback and place first in some major tournament.
I would have liked the Faerie list better if it were to splash for a 3rd color, just so EE would be a little better. Although the Blood Moons in the sb might have been the reason to avoid that.

Still ok though.
Can't...resist...I told you so!!!!
What did you tell us?
What did you tell us?

*sigh*...I told you that affinity would do well.
You were right >_<

The Bubble Hulk list is very interesting! Seems fun.
I'm glad that Bubble Hulk did well, and that Zoo did very well even with outdated lists.
I have to say, the Zoo lists were pretty outdated.

The only really interesting thing that I noticed was that the Faerie deck was using Mistbind Clique.
I have to say, the Zoo lists were pretty outdated.

The only really interesting thing that I noticed was that the Faerie deck was using Mistbind Clique.

I'm very surprised at the lack of Chrome Mox too. That list just seems very slow if you don't have a Spell Snare in your opening hand.
He's an active forum member on these boards who has been saying all along that Affinity was going to make a comeback and place first in some major tournament.

Was that supposed to be surprising? Maindeck Canonist is different I suppose.
I'm very surprised at the lack of Chrome Mox too. That list just seems very slow if you don't have a Spell Snare in your opening hand.

Wow, I completely missed the fact that it didn't have Chrome Mox. I have to say, I wasn't really impressed by any of the decks in the Top 8. Outside of the Affinity deck, of course.

The Elves deck playing Jitte maindeck was pretty cool, I guess, though I'm not sure if it's optimal. I mean, one of the main strengths of Elves is being able to win on turn 2-3 in Game 1 pretty much all of the time, except against Zoo. If you can have Jitte maindeck and still keep that consistent turn 3 kill, then it's fine. I'm not sure if it does happen, though.
Yeah, running mistbind clique without bitterblossom was a strange choice, but I guess it must've worked. And jitte is strange md in the elf deck, he probably added them because he was expecting a lot of faeries, and other blue control. Overall, a pretty diverse top 8, but nothing that special except for the affinity and bubble hulk players.
Yeah, running mistbind clique without bitterblossom was a strange choice, but I guess it must've worked. And jitte is strange md in the elf deck, he probably added them because he was expecting a lot of faeries, and other blue control. Overall, a pretty diverse top 8, but nothing that special except for the affinity and bubble hulk players.

Bitterblossom is horrible. I would've expected Goyf first.

I'm still not seeing what is surprising about Affinity. A few months ago people were claiming that Affinity would dominate and need to be banned.

forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1075...

Granted, iamjellydonut is an idiot but there were several threads like this.
I like the fact that there are 7 different archetypes in the Top 8.

Also, that there is more evidence that people were over-reacting to Elves!
Yeah, I'm busting out the Old affinity deck for the PTQs anyhow. 4 Maindeck Canonist was confirmed right after PT Berlin. I still don't know about Atog in this format, it seems really vulnerable to Smother and Spell Snare.
Yeah, I'm busting out the Old affinity deck for the PTQs anyhow. 4 Maindeck Canonist was confirmed right after PT Berlin. I still don't know about Atog in this format, it seems really vulnerable to Smother and Spell Snare.

Yeah most two-drops are vulnerable to those spells.
It's the first Affinity list that I've seen with both Ravager and Atog. IMO Myr Enforcer or even Shrapnel Blast would be better in the Atog slot, but that's just me.
My list (too lazy to autocard)

4 Ancient Den
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Great Furnace
3 Glimmervoid
3 Blinkmoth Nexus

4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Master of Etherium
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Ornithopter
4 Frogmite
4 Arcbound Worker

4 Springleaf Drum
4 Thoughtcast
4 Cranial Plating
3 Chromatic Star
3 Shrapnel Blast (over Fatal Frenzy)
Granted, iamjellydonut is an idiot but there were several threads like this.

Haha, brilliant!

Yeah most two-drops are vulnerable to those spells.

<3

Looks like some prett... quite sucky lists there. Even the Affinity list looks... well, overstuffed with finishers somehow. Weird.
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Looks like some prett... quite sucky lists there. Even the Affinity list looks... well, overstuffed with finishers somehow. Weird.

That's usually what we get for the first few PTQs of the season. I remember the PTQ at Worlds last year where Tog actually got a Top 8 spot and the Doran deck was remarkably subpar, with only two Dorans and stuff like that.
The list for Affinity I can't say really surprised me (no, I will not make any claims to having discovered the tech before it was stolen by aliens... damn aliens stole my... wait!).

This is because it decided to integrate 2 things:
1) Speed. With all this other crap lying around, who needs Shrapnel Blast and Thoutcast when I can win turn 3 from a 20/20 Master of Etherium swing with Ravager backup? It's more surprising than the Spanish Inquisition! The 4 Drum AND 4 Star was also pretty cool, made sense to me.
2) Disruption. Ethersworn Canonist shuts down everything right now because everyone assumed "4ff1n1ty 1s t3h d3dz0rz!!1" and the fact that it prevents Combo from going off, evens the playing field against Zoo (which now can only attempt to play big dudes on their turn and burn on yours), it kills Control, and seriously harms the jank effect. I do, however, think we could eventually see it being moved to the sideboard in Affinity-heavy metagames.

In short, it was good to see the season shaping up properly.
Wow, no Thoughtcast. Didn't see that before.
That's usually what we get for the first few PTQs of the season. I remember the PTQ at Worlds last year where Tog actually got a Top 8 spot and the Doran deck was remarkably subpar, with only two Dorans and stuff like that.

There was one PTQ last season with 8 Doran decks, even though it wasn't close to the best deck in the format.
12 elf hate affinity ftw lol, splash damage to other combo decks was a bonus. Since other aggro decks were running subpar cards to deal with elves I think affinity got the ground it need against them. That and affinity was always a solid deck.
The Sig. Beta version... GG wizards -_- Complements: Originally Posted by Pete_black_killer: Wow, finally someone gets it, good job Srg.Pain. Originally Posted by Skywarp2049: Thanks for that clarity I seem to have missed a vital part of the PWN. Thank you for adjusting that for me. Originally Posted by dailymagic: wow..you owned me big time..thanks for correcting It ...typing is tech... Originally Posted by IvelenRevelation: I'm so glad I'm on Pain's team. *Does a happy because I'm on Pain's team, so I'm not dead yet dance* Things I have won! Precon Challenge...Rebels Unite; Precon Challenge! - Rituals of Rebirth; The Goat's 1st Wooden Contest; Wolfpack's Invite Game Random Quotes: Originally Posted by FunkyRatDemon: Bad cards are sexy. Originally Posted by MTG.com: So Damnation sucks where Wrath of God blows, but both of them rock. Originally Posted by WizO_Althalus: I know. I am, as all men know, a thief, a liar, an occasional murderer, an outrageous braggart, and a man devoid of even the slightest hint of honor. Bringing the pain since 2005!
12 elf hate affinity ftw lol, splash damage to other combo decks was a bonus. Since other aggro decks were running subpar cards to deal with elves I think affinity got the ground it need against them. That and affinity was always a solid deck.

Still has a terrible Elves matchup.
There was one PTQ last season with 8 Doran decks, even though it wasn't close to the best deck in the format.

I remember the one with 6 that Mike Flores wrote about because he went to it. Maybe it was 8, though; that's a long time to remember something relatively unimportant.
In testing, I've just had Elves players scoop to double Canonist. One Canonist alone buys plenty of time - if they don't already have the critical mass necessary for Chord of Calling, it takes a long time for them to build it up considering their normal blistering pace. And even if they have the [one] Shaman in hand, that's three mana down.

If they go for beatdown, they need Jitte, and if you have Ravager out, even Jitte's not a problem. Once you ice the game with Canonist, Affinity can whittle Elves down by forcing them to sacrifice their creatures in order to delay their death. I need to test post-board, but the guy at the PTQ must have been capable of beating them post-board, if he won the thing.
Sign In to post comments