World speculation!

71 posts / 0 new
Last post
What archetypes will perform the best in Worlds? What will perform the worst?

Winner-Zoo
Most played-Elves
Archetype that will do the worst(DtB)-Affinity
Zoo, Elves, and Faeries seem like locks to do well. Tezzerator, NLU, and Storm should also put up some results. If Death Cloud is played, it will do very well; it is a very strong deck right now. Angelfire, MWC, and RDW/w are all powerful but under the radar decks that would be successful if played.
Dredge is going to come across the bridge from below and take at least 1 top 8 spot. I'm feeling Tezz taking first or second, Faeries taking 2 top 8 spots, Zoo taking one, and Swath taking one as well. The other two are up for grabs in my book, although with the right cards I think there might be an affinity top.

Elves! will definitely do the worst, followed by Death Cloud.
I have a feeling this thread is going to be a funny read after Worlds, just like the "Elves: is it viable?" thread was hilarious after Pro Tour:Berlin.
I have a feeling this thread is going to be a funny read after Worlds, just like the "Elves: is it viable?" thread was hilarious after Pro Tour:Berlin.

Ok.

What do you think will happen at Worlds, other than everyone else being wrong?
Mono Green Control FTW!:P
Archetype that did the worst(DtB)-Affinity

I love how wrong you will be. Seriously, it's so under the radar it's ridiculous. go around these forums. Every two posts mntwins is telling people to cut artifact removal in their sb :P. I mean c'mon. In the last round of the tourney (against lynx) he had 4 sb slots dedicated to affinity (only grudges too). I mean, c'mon, FOUR. It's uncalled for.
I love how wrong you will be. Seriously, it's so under the radar it's ridiculous. go around these forums. Every two posts mntwins is telling people to cut artifact removal in their sb :P. I mean c'mon. In the last round of the tourney (against lynx) he had 4 sb slots dedicated to affinity (only grudges too). I mean, c'mon, FOUR. It's uncalled for.

Playing artifact removal is fine, but only once you have stuff for other, more popular decks. Affinity might beat some decks if they don't have artifact hate, but it can't beat Elves, barring a huge amount of Elves hate in the sideboard. Zoo is also tough, especially since a lot of Zoo decks still play artifact for the Tezzerator and NLU matchups.
Playing artifact removal is fine, but only once you have stuff for other, more popular decks. Affinity might beat some decks if they don't have artifact hate, but it can't beat Elves, barring a huge amount of Elves hate in the sideboard. Zoo is also tough, especially since a lot of Zoo decks still play artifact for the Tezzerator and NLU matchups.

Fool! I run canonist maindeck. The thing about affinity is it's just much more resilient to the hate than a lot of these other decks so if you're only running a tiny bit of hate, sucks for you.
weevil is right. The top8 is going to be rife with Affinity.

Affinity and TEPS are going to be the dark horse winners.
weevil is right. The top8 is going to be rife with Affinity.

Affinity and TEPS are going to be the dark horse winners.

The Top 8 is Standard, but I know what you mean.

TEPS isn't exactly dark horse, people have known about if for a while now and it did have several Day 2s at Berlin.

As for Affinity, I'll believe it when I see it.
I played Four SB grudges, because I lose to Shackles, as well as needing to awnser affinity. Never the less, I only drew one grudge in the two games we played Post board.

I disagree. Affinity will have a presence, but I doubt it will be a force. It's definatly a deck to beat, but it's a known quantity that can be planned for.

They most definatly will not be Dark horse winners as there not dark horses. There known quantities, and not dark horses.

Lynx don't lie. I played affinity and you were just like "OH NOES!!" ;).
Yeah. I was totally like Oh Noes!!!

Very crappy aggro loam is not a common archetype though.

Meh, it didn't look that crappy. I also got really good hands. I liked the cool interactions in your deck although maybe it needed some more removal, or something.
I'm not running bob. Jittes are in the board. It's a really crappy list. All the cool interactions are part of the way aggro-loam works.

Well obviously i knew loam and cycle lands and stuff, but there were some other ones that i can't recall right now which i hadn't seen before. Also, why no MD bob?
// Lands
1 [ON] Lonely Sandbar
1 [CS] Snow-Covered Mountain
1 [CS] Snow-Covered Forest
1 [SHM] Mountain (2)
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
4 [ON] Wooded Foothills
2 [ON] Forgotten Cave
2 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
1 [DIS] Breeding Pool
3 [GP] Stomping Ground
3 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
1 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
1 [TSP] Forest (1)
2 [DIS] Blood Crypt
1 [RAV] Watery Grave

// Creatures
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
3 [MOR] Countryside Crusher
4 [CHK] Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
1 [FD] Eternal Witness

// Spells
3 [10E] Seismic Assault
3 [RAV] Life from the Loam
2 [MR] Chalice of the Void
3 [MR] Chrome Mox
2 [EVE] Worm Harvest
4 [DS] Trinisphere
2 [RAV] Putrefy

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [FD] Eternal Witness
SB: 3 [FD] Engineered Explosives
SB: 3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
SB: 3 [ALA] Jund Charm
SB: 4 [TSP] Ancient Grudge

Basically it started as a rip off of chapin's list, using the standard R/G aggro loam fare with gifts. Then I realized how bad the blue was and cut it for some black, but I kept some of the disruption instead of the really good cards that black offers.

Yeah, the main problem i saw was barely any removal. I'd say up the putrefy count because assault really only counts once you get going. Maybe with your massive CA you don't need bob? I would test the deck if I actually knew how to play it =/...
Lynx, I can help with that.
I've yet to see anyone running gravehate except Tormod's Crypt in their s/b. I think it's crazy to think that Dredge won't be a contender. With s/b cards like Pithing Needle and Chain of Vapor, I doubt dredge hate will be able to stop the combo.
extended Reveillark will take second.

yup...

random rogue for the almost win.
extended Reveillark will take second.

yup...

random rogue for the almost win.

Extended Reveillark? Is there such a thing?
for the sake of my prediction, I hope so.
Well then, since we are on the topic of making predictions obviously not grounded in reality, I predict that Extended @ Worlds will be dominated by the [C]Donate[/C]-[C=Illusions of Grandeur]Illusions[/C] combo.
I like the Reveillark Combo too, and considering most people are taking their GY hate out for Elves Hate then it could show up. It was a major contender last PTQ season anyway, and it didn't lose anything to rotation.

You are without a doubt the most obnoxious person around here.

First of all you can't ridicule others when you don't participate in predicting yourself. Secondly the Elf deck that won at PT Berlin was not the one that was posted on the boards. Unlike you and many other gloating retards, I had actually played the initial list (and it was a total joke). That would be like me gloating about people shooting down my Jund Rock list if I managed to top 8 with a totally different and heavily modified list. Sure, there were similarities between the list, but it was A) far less explosive and B) didn't have the combo kill(s).

Personally I think we will see the usual choices do well, but I honestly can't predict this round's Tezzerator/Elf Ball, but it will most likely be something that can dodge the current hate.
They see me trollin', they hatin'. Only 31.0% of the playerbase actually prefers Standard to the other formats, yet it is the format that gets the most attention. PATHETIC. If you had millions of loyal customers who adore and admire you, and you could raise your middle finger at them, wouldn't you? **** YOU TOO, WIZARDS. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I say the usual suspects from DtB will show up and do well. Footsteps Hulk would be my bet as a dark horse, it's just straight up better than Dredge in my experience. As a more theoretical rogue deck that will do well, I say AngelfireSwans.
First of all you can't ridicule others when you don't participate in predicting yourself. Secondly the Elf deck that won at PT Berlin was not the one that was posted on the boards. Unlike you and many other gloating retards, I had actually played the initial list (and it was a total joke). That would be like me gloating about people shooting down my Jund Rock list if I managed to top 8 with a totally different and heavily modified list. Sure, there were similarities between the list, but it was A) far less explosive and B) didn't have the combo kill(s).

1.) I did post my predictions for Worlds. Scroll up. I threw my hat into the ring this time.

2.) It was said before, and I guess I have to say it again. The core of the Elves combo deck was in the original link. The idea was all there. The point of the question posed in the "Is it viable" thread was if the idea was viable and if it should be streamlined. You and many other people scoffed at the idea. The pros saw potential and streamlined it.

You and many other people were wrong and you ended up looking stupid for it. Get over it.
Ideas Unbound is like a super Careful Study, and enables turn two and three wins like nobodies business in Hulk/Lark. I believe it is the fastest deck in Extended for pure speed, and it's only vulnerable to graveyard hate. I'll show a list soon if you want.
My predictions:

1) Someone in this thread will be made to look a complete fool when the results are in. Possibly me.

2) Elves! will do well but not well enough to justify bannings.

3) The best deck will be one which no one in this thread predicted to do well.
hey, extended lark has Gifts Ungiven, and I can't think of a better card for that deck haha

huh, I'd actually like Hulk to do fairly well, kinda forgot about that deck

EDIT: hey avenged, feel free to pm a decklist to work with, I'd messed around with Lark for extended, but I didn't really take it seriously due to lack of extended tourny's around here

SUPER EDIT: and I'd prefer mogg fanatic than Redcap due to the versatility of Fantastic. I would never run Redcap
Please do. I know how good hulk is, but it seems like it's just too inconsistent. Is the basic plan hulk up some body doubles+ lark eventually then just go through a lark loop with Murderous Redcap to win?

Yeah, except Mogg Fanatic instead over Redcap.
Avenged: I spent quite a bit of time trying to get Hulk to work, but never got it to the point where it was faster than Storm (or Elves now, I suppose). Are you using Through the Breach, Footsteps, or both?
Footsteps are better in my opinion.

As for the speed of Swans, I envision a RWU control deck with the PlasmaSwan combo as a subtheme, not the entire point of the deck. I think it might be feasible and it seems like something a pro would play ;)
Are we really going to set ourselves up for failure?? Well I'm a loser so what the heck.

Affinity and Death Cloud will pop up and put some people into the Top 8. Elves! is way to on the radar and Zoo is as well. Dredge might make a showing but we will see.

And as always, I suck
Avenged: I spent quite a bit of time trying to get Hulk to work, but never got it to the point where it was faster than Storm (or Elves now, I suppose). Are you using Through the Breach, Footsteps, or both?

Footsteps.

I think it is the same speed as Storm while still being able to combo while there is an Ethersworn Canonist/Gaddock Teeg in play.
Footsteps.

I think it is the same speed as Storm while still being able to combo while there is an Ethersworn Canonist/Gaddock Teeg in play.

Actually, this is a surprisingly relevant piece of criteria when judging the viability of a combo deck now that everyone will be running these guys maindeck because they are just so good at fighting Elves and Storm (Canonist) and Engineered Explosives / a lot of the other >4cc bombs in the format (Gaddock).
Check it out! Looks like Dredge is actually really viable after all!

wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?...
i think deathcloud will do suprisingly well
i think deathcloud will do suprisingly well

It wouldn't surprise me. Deathcloud is a really good deck, though it doesn't seem to be very popular.

Archetype breakdown for Extended is up. Some interesting things:
-Faeries is by far the most played deck.
-Elves, while still popular, only makes up 10% of the decks, far less than at Berlin.
-Burn is actually pretty prevalent.
-10 players choose to go with Goblins, even though it was almost entirely absent from Berlin.
-NLU and Storm were only played by one player each. This is very good news for Zoo and RDW, considering that those were both bad matchups.
Burn decks are the 4th most popular archetype? Spark Elemental is being played by Jon Finkel?

WTF.
It wouldn't surprise me. Deathcloud is a really good deck, though it doesn't seem to be very popular.

Archetype breakdown for Extended is up. Some interesting things:
-Faeries is by far the most played deck.
-Elves, while still popular, only makes up 10% of the decks, far less than at Berlin.
-Burn is actually pretty prevalent.
-10 players choose to go with Goblins, even though it was almost entirely absent from Berlin.
-NLU and Storm were only played by one player each. This is very good news for Zoo and RDW, considering that those were both bad matchups.

Yup at least 1 RDW, hopefully he can do well.
And Red players are called nubz. Go Finkel!

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Statistics from Extended, the Day 3 wrap up video said there were 5 faeries, 1 Zoo, 1 Burn, and 1 Affinity.

Hoping for a Zoo or Burn win.
Sign In to post comments