Reviews on Seekers of the Ashen Crown?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just wondering if anyone's picked this up yet and had any thoughts on it?
Role-play online by joining the Virtual Table Top Group. My World of Warcraft blog: Dragonwhimsy.net.
I've only read through about the first quarter of it, and it looks awesome.

I am getting a ton of ideas for the traps.

It also has a nice new take on "skill challenges." If Ashen Crown is any indication of how future adventures are designed (I have only read KotS and part of the Thunderspire Labyrinth, and small portions of Dungeon), I am really hopeful.

An example of the "new" skill challenge format: PCs use skills to learn about the room they are in.

I was originally confused with out Encounter 3 was resolved. Please don't read the sblock if you aren't planning on running the adventure
Confusion I originally had about Encounter 3
The whole room is a trick.

1. The East doors were next locked, they only lock as part of the Trigger event.
2. The room starts trying to kill the PCs with the trigger event, and automatically stops 5 rounds later.
3. Even after the room stops, east and west doors remain locked (see countermeasures - doors section).
We won't be getting Seekers of the Ashen Crown for a while in Sydney, but I plan to run it for friends in Europe (where I'll buy the adventure) and will have to plan what minis to take (flight is on Monday).

Could somebody please, please, please send me a list of the monsters in the mod?
For those who have seen Seekers, what is the two-sided mapsheet like?
I don't have enough time at the moment to tackle the monster-list question, but I can describe the map. One side of it is a crowded marketplace district from Droaam ( http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Map_Crown/15.jpg ), and the other side is halfway split between an open road ( http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Map_Crown/30.jpg ) and a temple room of some sort ( http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/Map_Crown/25.jpg ). Warning, all of those images are gigantic and probably suitable for taking to Kinko's and asking them to print you a new copy of the map.
I bought it along with the Eberron Campaign Guide. I keep jumping back and forth from reading the adventure to reading the book.

The map sheet looks good. There are some neat cinematic sequences. Wizard's posted a preview of a great encounter where a young blue dragon attacks an airship the players are on. Wizards also posted .jpg files of all the maps to the adventure.

From what I've read, the story is interesting. It has the players traveling around a bit getting clues and recovering artifacts, which is fun. There's really a wide range of monsters; from kruthiks, to undead, to goblins, to orcs, to Order of the Emerald Claw, and more. Furthermore, there are combos - undead goblins and orcs.

I'm now trying to figure out what miniatures I'll be using. There are a few monsters that some of my existing minis will work for (such as adult / hatchling / young kruthiks) in a pinch, but there are a bunch that I have no idea what minis to use. I'm wondering if the Legendary Evils set due to be released next month will help fill in some of these holes. Personally, I hate to constantly reuse the same minis for different monsters as it can lead to some confusion amongst the players.

You didn't ask this, but the Eberron Campaign Guide has a great adventure at the back that serves as a wonderful intro to Eberron for the players. It takes the characters from level 1 to level 2, and helps give a reason why the characters are together.
You didn't ask this, but the Eberron Campaign Guide has a great adventure at the back that serves as a wonderful intro to Eberron for the players. It takes the characters from level 1 to level 2, and helps give a reason why the characters are together.

It mentions this in Seekers of the Ashen Crown. It's a great way to introduce players to Eberron since it features most of the elements that makes Eberron what it is, and it puts the party in Sharn, where Seekers begins. When I get a chance to run an Eberron game, I'm probably going to run the ECG adventure then go into Seekers.
Is it just me, or are a lot of the DCs really low?

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
Is it just me, or are a lot of the DCs really low?

They match up with the DC table for skill challenges.

I agree that they seem kind of low, but that is sort of the problem of a +5 for being trained system. Like Acrobatics DCs are a joke for Archer Rangers and Rogues (I have a +9 or +10 at level 1) and the DC is like... 5 for levels 1-3 on easy.

One way to "fix" it might be to allow multiple successes. So like if something requires 3 DC 10 Athletics checks, perhaps every 10 you beat the DC by gets you another success. So that Great Weapon Fighter that gets a 30 on the first roll gets to just "Oh Yeah!" through the wall or whatever.

FYI: As far as I know, there is no instance of needing 3 athletics checks, I just made something up. It could just as easily be thievery for a trap or whatever.
I like the maps, I like the skiff combat through the skies of Sharn, I like the goblinoid city descriptions, the rest seems like another unoriginal "find the pieces of the thing in the various dungeons and put them together to make the powerful thing" adventure.
All right, I went through and grabbed the list of all of the enemies in the encounters book. Some of these will definitely overlap with one another (you shouldn't need more than 6 kruthik hatchlings at any one point, for example), and I tried to give you enough info to make an informed decision on what mini to pick when it wasn't clear from the name. I also singled out named NPCs in case you want specific minis for them.

MAJOR spoilers for Seekers of the Ashen Crown

2 Kruthiks
3 Kruthik Young
6 Kruthik Hatchlings

1 Imp
3 "magma runners" (small elemental)
4 "fire sinks" (small animate flame)

(or more kruthiks, subset of previous encounter)

6 Kruthik Hatchlings

1 sodden corruption corpse
2 grave drakes (small undead drakes)
3 tomb motes (tiny animate remains that can't fully form into undead, I think)
1 kruthik

1 hobgoblin skeleton
1 hobgoblin specter
1 hobgoblin wight
5 hobgoblin skeleton minions

1 named elite undead hobgoblin soldier (Ashurta)
2 chainfighter wights
2 hobgoblin soldier zombies

2 kruthik adults
1 kruthik
1 kruthik young
2 kruthik hatchlings

1 young kruthik hive lord (medium)
1 kruthik
2 kruthik swarms
2 kruthik hatchlings

1 "skullborn" deathlock wight (skullborn are evil Aereni elves allied with the Blood of Vol)
2 skullborn rotwing zombies
3 skullborn zombies

5 Emerald Claw scouts

1 minotaur raider
1 gnoll priest
1 gnoll hunter
2 orc marauders

1 elite human soldier (Captain Warrik)
1 Emerald Claw necromancer
1 Emerald Claw knight
2 Emerald Claw scouts
3 Emerald Claw troopers

1 Bladebearer hobgoblin (Chib Naersaar)
2 goblin snipers
3 hobgoblin soldiers
2 hobgoblin grunts

1 hobgoblin dirge singer (Yeraa)
1 goblin (Akitani)
1 goblin (Govaan)

1 hobgoblin shadow skeleton
3 hobgoblin skeletons
8 goblin skeletons

2 force specters
1 wraith

1 deathgaunt madcaster (undead aberration, medium humanoid)
1 deathgaunt lasher (undead dolgaunt, basically)
3 goblin phantoms

1 goblin ghost boss
2 goblin phantoms
3 dolgrim warriors

1 dolgaunt
3 dolgrim warriors
1 dolgarr berserker (large humanoid aberration)

1 goblin flame vent haunt (fiery ghost, small)
2 goblin fire phantoms
1 fire bat

1 deep goblin curser (caster)
3 deep goblin stoneblades (skirmishers)
6 deep goblin wretches (minions)

1 deathgaunt madcaster
2 deathgaunt lashers
1 deathgaunt drover (small undead aberration, bites)
2 deathgaunt spiners (small undead aberration, spiky)
5 deathgaunt hordelings (small undead aberration minions)

1 undead hobgoblin (Chib Naersaar from before)
4 hobgoblin zombies
2 goblin zombie archers
3 zombie minions

1 Emerald Claw doppelganger mage
3 gnolls
2 small wraiths

1 dreadclaw darkliege - Dreadclaws are undead that can appear to be alive
5 dreadclaw goblin reavers

1 large blue dragon

1 elf necromancer, Jaenus
2 Emerald Claw "stalwarts" (just soldiers)
2 kruthik zombies
3 kruthik zombie minions

1 doppelganger rogue (Tikulti)
2 Emerald Claw stalwarts
1 Emerald Claw fireblade assassin (tiefling)
1 shadowskull (tiny flying skull)

1 elf necromancer (Demise)
1 dreadclaw soulbound (Gydd Nephret, female half-elf, I think. Based on the encounter, should definitely NOT look undead at the start)
4 skullborn ghouls
4 skullborn zombie minions
I have it, but haven't spent a lot of time reading it yet. It looked pretty good; standard Raiders of the Lost Ark type fare (which isn't a bad thing).

I didn't like reusing a certain sample NPC from the 3.5 Eberron book as the villain (said character never appealed to me in the least), but since I'm going to have to heavily modify the adventure for my campaign concept it doesn't matter since she'll be replaced anyways.

The one major thing I did NOT like is that...

Show

They have an encounter on an Airship, and didn't include a poster map of the airship. Square dungeon rooms are easy to draw; airships are not. I would have rather not have the map of the last encounter area, which is a typical tomb setup, and had a battle map for the airship instead.
Wayne M.
Formerly known as WayneTheGame

"Better that I should wrong the world, than let the world wrong me!" - Cao Cao (Romance of the Three Kingdoms)

They match up with the DC table for skill challenges.

I agree that they seem kind of low, but that is sort of the problem of a +5 for being trained system. Like Acrobatics DCs are a joke for Archer Rangers and Rogues (I have a +9 or +10 at level 1) and the DC is like... 5 for levels 1-3 on easy.

One way to "fix" it might be to allow multiple successes. So like if something requires 3 DC 10 Athletics checks, perhaps every 10 you beat the DC by gets you another success. So that Great Weapon Fighter that gets a 30 on the first roll gets to just "Oh Yeah!" through the wall or whatever.

FYI: As far as I know, there is no instance of needing 3 athletics checks, I just made something up. It could just as easily be thievery for a trap or whatever.

I like this idea a lot. It reminds me of the old Legends of the Five Rings system where a player could choose to increase the Target Number for a roll in order to achieve a greater level of success. I may have to house rule this into future skill challenges.
ObiWayneKenobi,

In regards to having a poster map of the airship:

Seekers of the Ashen Crown - Art Gallery
Seekers of the Ashen Crown - Map Gallery
Why do they never put cleaned maps up? It completely kills the use of them I get to see these huge "Rs" and such all over maps.
I know what you mean, I just finished making an 8 page poster for the airship (including making the roof section where the stairs goto). I had to copy and past to remove the monster(s)'s starting location(s). (No spoilers.)

I am only guessing that it scales to a little over 1 inch a square (I counted 23 squares, I cropped it and stretched it to 24 inches).
I would love you so much if you posted that.
First off, people should probably put spoiler-warnings in replies (the whole thread title?) that contain mention of what's in the encounters.

As for impressions, I've only read through it once (last night), but I was somewhat disappointed at the ratio of encounters to other-stuff (rp, skill checks, etc) and I'm probably going to have to do a significant amount of work putting in more RP elements. Sure, you always have to customize for your group, but I wasn't expecting to have to do so much for after paying hard cash for a module.
I would love you so much if you posted that.

You aren't even gonna buy me dinner first? Pssh.

Let me make sure I scaled the squares properly before I post it (how embarrassing would it be if they were 3-quarter inches each).

http://filefactory.com/file/ahgghc9/n/airship_zip
2 versions in 2 formats (microsoft publisher and adobe pdf). One version is split across 8 letter pages (4 by 2) and the other is for printing on a 22"x36" poster paper.
Got it, dig it, can't wait to run it. Plenty of Good flavor, some real set-piece encounters and challenges, and a really gnarly traps. I think they did a really good job of integrating the Eberron fluff and feel while providing plenty of delves.

As for impressions, I've only read through it once (last night), but I was somewhat disappointed at the ratio of encounters to other-stuff (rp, skill checks, etc) and I'm probably going to have to do a significant amount of work putting in more RP elements.

Having read it through completely, I think that there are more skill challenge and RP elements than the other wotc-published heroic-tier adventures I have purchased.