Someone has the book...Changelings confirmed!

115 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's here, folks :D

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/257022-i-have-eberron-players-guide-kingdom-ghouls.html

The book is divided into 5 chapters:
1. Life in Eberron
2. Races (Changeling, Kalashtar and Warforged)
3. Classes (Artificer, 9 PP's, 13 Dragonmarked PP's, 4 Epic Destinies)
4. Character Options - around 50 heroic feats (dragonmark, channel divinity, artificer and racial feats) but only 4 paragon and 4 epic feats. Also equipment, magic items, rituals and the like.
5. The World of Eberron

The Dragon Above - Eberron news and new content for both 3E and 4E. Home of the Eberron Bestiary.
I want to know how they are going to nerf the changling. I mean seriously the 4e Doppleganger is basicly the 3.5 changling. I figured they were just going to get ride of changling and replace it with the doppleganger. If they are going to actualy keep changling as an offshoot of Doppleganger then it's going to have to be seriously nerfed.
Why do I never get books 'accidentally' early?
I'd like the names (and descriptions) of PP's and Epic Destinies.
Dragonborn originally originate from Aragonnessen, where it is rumored that there are dragonborn city-states ruled by their dragon overlords, warring with each other over interpretations of the Draconic Prophesy. Otherwise, they are associated with Q'barra, where it is said they for a brief time had an empire which was on the brink of becoming a big player - but then crumbled for unknown reasons.

Most tieflings come from the corrupted bloodlines of Ohr Kaluun (Sarlona), from before the Inspired struck.

Just a quote from the ENWorld thread regarding Tiefling and Dragonborn origins...

Personally, I'm curious about Aberrant Dragonmarks...
Already asked that... waiting for a response.

I got a really good idea in my head for an Elf Rogue of House Tarkanan, but I'm waiting to see hwo they do the Aberrant Marks...

Otherwise, I got a Half-Elf Bard House Lyrander sky-captain-to-be.
EDs
Mourning Savior

Discuss/Speculate :P
I don't have the slightest clue but it sounds awesome. Healing the land and recreating Cyre or founding a new realm where the Mournland used to be? Going back in time and preventing the Mourning?

The Gatekeeper Mystagogue, and the Exorcist of the SF are back! I was expecting the latter but not the former. Wait, there's the Alchemist Savant too!

It's good to see a Ghorad'din paragon path.

I suppose Chameleon and Lightwalker are the PPs of Changelings and Kalashter respectively.

I wonder what the "dispossessed champion" is.
Resident Prophet of the Reformed OTTers We offer free desserts and second helpings.
from the above post...

Changelings get +2 dex or +2 int, +2 cha. +2 bluff, +2 insight, +1 will, changeling disguise at will (change self) and changeling trick (minor action, get CA until the end of your next turn)

Kalashar - +2 wis, +2 cha, +2 insight +2 skill of own choice, save at the beginning of their turn against daze and dominate effect, and a racial encounter power that gives you and all allies in a close burst 5 a +4 bonus to Will as an immediate interrupt.

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

I never really doubted the changlings (or dopplegangers) would be in the EPG. I like that each of the d'marked houses get PPs. Notice that they're stressed as being part of the house. Its not the 'Mark of the Storm Wind Rider' its the flippin Lyrander Wind Rider.

So even though the prophecy will be able to mark PCs not of the proper line, the houses are still the Dragonmarked Houses, and they are badass.
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
I will take this opportunity to laugh at WotC for attempting to keep the Races, Classes, Lore, and Feats a secret until release day! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

See, that's what you get for those terrible previews. Now we know all about those Tieflings and Dragonborns. ... Obvious histories, but they'll do.

Yours,
Lord Dreadman
from the above post...

Wow! The kalashtar rock!!
Someone always breaks street date, maybe someone in the print facility picks up a 'bad book' out of the recycling, maybe someone durring the shipping decides to make a crate light, maybe someone at the store recieved early shipping and breaks open the boxes before street date. Not surprising that someone got the EPG early.

Still I don't see why you'd be upset with WotC if the release date was the 1st you'd have been whining about lack of information a month ago. They don't need to preview material.
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
Because I can.

Yours,
Lord Dreadman
I just extracted all the details from the thread so far to post on the Dragon Above blog. Here's what we know so far:

Races

"Changelings get +2 dex or +2 int, +2 cha. +2 bluff, +2 insight, +1 will, changeling disguise at will (change self) and changeling trick (minor action, get CA until the end of your next turn)"

"Shifters get 3 new feats, from what I can tell."

On Kalashtar: "+2 wis, +2 cha, +2 insight +2 skill of own choice, save at the beginning of their turn against daze and dominate effect, and a racial encounter power that gives you and all allies in a close burst 5 a +4 bonus to Will as an immediate interrupt."

"Devas: Former allies of the couatls in the old battles against the demons and rashakas, persisting despite the couatls being long gone."

"Eladrins: Have always been there, but kept to themselves, only coming out of their 7 great cities when they occasionally world-falled. But after the Day of Mourning, they found themselves severed from the Feywild and stuck on Eberron. From what I read, they are still trying to get back."

"Goliath: Originate from Xen'drik, but left when the giants rose to power. They exist as always, spread out in the mountains, living as they always have, with traditions etc etc."

"Genasi are extremely rare and no one knows what they are, not even themselves! They could be everything from dwarves warped by the volcanic eruptions of the fist of Onatar or creations of the Arcane Congress. They have no homeland and live on the frindge of society."

Artificers

"The second Artificer build is called the Tinkerer, a build that focuses on building constructs. From a quick glance, he works much like a summoner."

"Only 4 at-wills, sorry mate. As for the artifices, they follow the rules of summoned creatures."

On healing:
"Curative Admixture: target regains hit points equal to its healing surge value + your wisdom modifier, scaling up to surge + wisdom + 10 at level 26.

Resistive Formula: taget gets +1 ac until the end of the encounter. The target can end the bonus and gain temporary hit points equal to its healing surge value + your constitution modifier, scaling to surge + 3 times your constitution modifier."

Dragonmarks

"Take the appropriate feat, gain benefits. Benefits include some bonus (roll twice for perception rolls or extra shifts under certain circumstances) and the ability to cast certain rituals, no matter your class/skills or ability to otherwise cast rituals."

"Mark of passage gives a +1 bonus to all shifts and teleports granted by a power. The Orien Swiftblade has quite a few teleport powers, including a daily that lets you attack, teleport to another target, attack and then teleport again to a third target and attack that."

Paragon Paths

Alchemist Savant
Battle Engineer
Chameleon
Clockwork Engineer
Exorcist of the Silver Flame
Gatekeeper Mystagogue
Lightwalker
Self-forged
Warforged Juggernaut

Cannith Mastermaker
Deneith Protector
Ghallanda Sanctuary Guardian
Jorasco Jadehand
Kundarak Ghorad'din
Lyrandar Wind-rider
Medani True-seer
Orien Swiftblade
Philarlan Phantasmist
Sivis Truenamer
Tharashk Wayfinder
Thuranni Shadowkiller
Vadalis Griffonmaster

Epic Destinies

Champion of Prophecy
Dispossessed Champion
Mourning Savior
Sublime Flame
The Dragon Above - Eberron news and new content for both 3E and 4E. Home of the Eberron Bestiary.
How do Dragonborn in 4e mesh with the Dragons of Argonessen book? Is that pretty closely in line with how the continent is depicted? Or can it at least be incorporated into 3.5e Argonessen with very little if any contradictions?

[u]BRAND NEW INFO[/u]
Mourning Saviour
Your destiny is to remove the Mourning

Chapters 1 and 5
19 pages for Chapter 1 alone. 38 pages for Chapter 5 as well.

[u]My Comments.[/u]

Dopplegangers
Interesting how they get to choose between a +2 Cha or a +2 Dex. They seem pretty identical to Dopplegangers so while I don't understand why they've gotten a name change (it could be they actually haven't and the Enworld poster is simply calling them Changelings because the first person to ask about them did), they're not a distinct race.

Kalashtar
How many saves would a Kalashtar Warden get at the start of their turn if they're dazed? 2?

Devas
Huzzah! I was right (at least to a degree) as to my speculation on how Devas fit into Eberron :D Although I proposed they're humans advanced into Devas. It could be their angels modified to devas.

Eladrin
Now that's interesting. Why can't they simply travel to the Eldeen Reaches and head back to Thelanis?

Genasi
I'm surprised Genasi were even mentioned. Those proposed origin stories are fairly obvious.

PPs
I'm glad they didn't try to do a generic Dragonmarked Paragon Path. That would have satisfied no-one.
Mourning Saviour
Your destiny is to remove the Mourning

Which, btw, is the most exciting thing to me.
Which, btw, is the most exciting thing to me.

Eh. First campaign someone takes it, it doesn't matter how much you've featured the Mourning in your current campaign, you'll never be able to use it in future ones. So if it isn't something you're going to stress and highlight in your first campaign, you might lose the chance to use it at all.

Having said that, I'm not particularly heartbroken over that (although it could be because I will heavily feature the Mournlands in my first campaign. Who knows ;)). But I can see where some DMs might be annoyed by it.
Eh. First campaign someone takes it, it doesn't matter how much you've featured the Mourning in your current campaign, you'll never be able to use it in future ones.

Well I don't foresee myself playing many follow-up campaigns. We usually don't make it to epic levels as it is. I guess it would be less exciting if you planned to use the same world as a multi-campaign sort of thing. Even then it can be interesting for the future campaign to feature the rebuilt cyre.
Otherwise, I got a Half-Elf Bard House Lyrander sky-captain-to-be.

What, you don't already have one? I've got one alrdy in play, with DM's permission to change whatever feats/background need changing once the book is out. :P

Questions: What is the prereq for Lyrandar Wind-rider? Mark of Storm info plz!

Thank you, thank you very much.
I want to know how they are going to nerf the changling. I mean seriously the 4e Doppleganger is basicly the 3.5 changling. I figured they were just going to get ride of changling and replace it with the doppleganger. If they are going to actualy keep changling as an offshoot of Doppleganger then it's going to have to be seriously nerfed.

The changeling and doppelganger is the same. Its just that the doppelganger name is reserved for the changelings you don't like. So its sort of a racist thingie stuffy. At least that was Keith Bakers take on it when the MM was first released... who knows it might have changed.
More notes from the thread:
* Changelings and Dopplegangers appear to be used interchangeable. Possibly an editing mistake.
* Aberrant marks appear to be limited to 3 feats. Each apply a penalty on an enemy when you hit the enemy with a daily power.

I'm intrigued by aberrant marks. It looks like the Spellscarred powers, Dragonmarks and Aberrant marks will each be a distinctive mechanic. I'm all for that as it means more stuff for players to choose from. Although I'm somewhat surprised.
Eh. First campaign someone takes it, it doesn't matter how much you've featured the Mourning in your current campaign, you'll never be able to use it in future ones. So if it isn't something you're going to stress and highlight in your first campaign, you might lose the chance to use it at all.

I also feel that one of the charms of Eberron is the very fleshed out starting point that you can keep starting from over and over and over again. That way, your players get to know the world better and they can challenge you as a DM coming up with new and logical things that happen according to their actions.

It's a bit like starting again in a good Bioware RPG but with more choice than a computer game can give ya :P
On the Mourning Savior,

After the good-savior game, make your players play an evil game where they have to create another Mourning. Or make it a long Delve where in the end, another huge or world-wide catastrophe occurs.

Maybe the Prophecy said something about the Mourning being a thing that when healed/prevented it only comes back worse? Or, by healing the Mournland, the PC activated some sort of series of events that will lead to something else. Example, heal the Mournland, who gets the territory? New Cyre? Warforged? 4 Nations? Darguun? Valenar? Maybe healing the Mournland is what will start the Next War. Maybe Eberron or Khorvaire is cursed that to preserve the peace, you need a Mournland?

Rekko
The following were posted on rpgnet.Here's the link.

Superior one-handed weapons:
Cutting Wheel, +2, 1d6 | light blade | defensive, off-hand.
Drow long knife +3, 1d6, 5/1 | heavy blade | heavy thrown, off-hand.
Talenta tangat, +2 1d8 | heavy blade | high crit, versatile, can be used 1-handed by small characters.

Superior 2H weapons:
Talenta sharrash, +3, 1d8 | heavy blade, polearm | high crit, can be wielded two-handed by a small character.

Superior Double Weapons:
Double Scimitar, +2, 1d6/1d6 | heavy blade | defensive, high crit, off-hand.
Zulaat +2, 2d4/2d4 | heavy blade, polearm | defensive, off-hand.

Superior one-handed ranged weapons:
Talenta boomerang, +2, 1d4, 10/20, | light blade | light thrown
Xen'drink boomerang, +2, 1d6, 6/12 | light blade | light thrown

There are also cool heroic feats:

Aerenal Arcanist: Elf, any arcane class, Aerenal background.
Basically spellbook for any arcane utility powers.

Aerenal Half-Life: Elf, Aerenal background. +1 feat bonus to damage rolls with necrotic powers. +2 at paragon, +3 at epic. In addition, spending an AP gives you this bonus to attack rolls until end of next turn.

Master Crafter: Artificer. Create magic items of your level + your Int mod or lower with the Enchant Magic Item ritual.

One really powerful Dragonmark feat is the Mark of the Storm:
Benefit: Whenever you hit an enemy with a thunder or lightning power, you can slide that enemy 1 square. You gain +1 bonus to speed when flying. You can master and perform the Endure Elements, Enhance Vessel, Summon Winds and Water Walk rituals as if you had the Ritual Caster feat.

Mark of Hospitality:
Benefit: Whenever you or an ally within 10 squares of you uses a healing power during a short rest, that power restores the maximum number of hit points possible. You can master and perform the Eye of Alarm, Fantastic Recuperation, Secure Shelter and Travelers' Feast rituals as if you had the ritual caster feat.

Resident Prophet of the Reformed OTTers We offer free desserts and second helpings.
So, any word on fastieths, clawfoots, or any other Talenta mounts sized for Small people?
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Mark of Hospitality:
Benefit: Whenever you or an ally within 10 squares of you uses a healing power during a short rest, that power restores the maximum number of hit points possible. You can master and perform the Eye of Alarm, Fantastic Recuperation, Secure Shelter and Travelers' Feast rituals as if you had the ritual caster feat.

Aw, man, I was hoping I could continue to go through life pretending that heal powers couldn't be used during short rests, just to avoid turning a "5-minute" rest into a 25-minute rest as everyone waits for the cleric to continue re-popping Healing Word... but I don't want to screw over the Mark of Hospitality. Maybe I'll just assert that healing out-of-combat, at least without the Mark or the Restful Healer feat, always restores half of the maximum possible for each die (so every d6 becomes 3 hp.) That way we can at least avoid rolling the dice repeatedly.
rpg.net has a lot of info... Same thread Ellorin linked above.

Lots of Artificer stuff, Aberrant marks, a Channel Divinity feat for il-Yannah (i.e. the Kalashtar's "Path of Light")...
No Paragon Path for the Mark of Siberys? Really? What the hell.

Is there any info on the Mark of Siberys?
Planes Wanderer
Well, well, well, somebody has the book.

So far these leaks are pretty exciting. Even more exciting than the previews, which have pretty much been blah.

Weapons: looks pleasing. I'm really interested in this Drow Longknife. I can’t wait to have a Lyrander ranger multiclass watchamajig with one or two Drow Longkifes. Lets you maximize the ranged abilities of a ranger and the melee.

Dragonmark feats: Ehh. It's all right.

You know I have the same question as Avon. Any info at all?
No Paragon Path for the Mark of Siberys? Really? What the hell.

Is there any info on the Mark of Siberys?

Personally, I've been rather hoping that they did away with the whole tiered marks and special mark system that was in 3.5. I always felt constrained as both a player and a GM when a level minimum was forced on certain marks. I never got why if I wanted a teenager to have a mark of Siberys he had to be level 13 or higher. Now some of these problems have been alleviated for the GM since NPCs don't follow the same rules as players, but I really don't like it all around.

For me I have been hoping for one benefit, one feat, flavor is up to the player/GM. Who knows how it will actually be, but that's my personal hope.
Speaking as someone playing a paragon-tier artificer right now, I can't tell you how excited I am about the info in that thread. I was always mildly unimpressed with the 4E playtest artificer implementation - there really wasn't enough to distinguish it from all the other leaders. It sounds like they've significantly improved it, and I can't wait to get the book and put the improvements to use.
Looks like my wallet is going to get a bit lighter in the coming days... But, this is excellent!!! I loved the artificer in 3.5 (meleeficer is what I mademost of the time), and now there is finally the official one for 4th.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Druid (5th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength-16
Dexterity-13
Constitution-17
Intelligence-15
Wisdom-16
Charisma-14

Alignment:
Neutral Good A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. He works with kings and magistrates but does not feel beholden to them. Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias for or against order. However, neutral good can be a dangerous alignment when it advances mediocrity by limiting the actions of the truly capable.

Race:
Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Class:
Druids gain power not by ruling nature but by being at one with it. They hate the unnatural, including aberrations or undead, and destroy them where possible. Druids receive divine spells from nature, not the gods, and can gain an array of powers as they gain experience, including the ability to take the shapes of animals. The weapons and armor of a druid are restricted by their traditional oaths, not simply training. A druid's Wisdom score should be high, as this determines the maximum spell level that they can cast.

Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus (e-mail)

Not at all. Basically the dopple is the changling in 4E. They may just refluff it a bit.
I love that no one, including Hellcow on the enworld boards, is like "This is piracy this madman must be stopped!"

Guess that's the reaction for giving us rehashish and fluff and then calling it a preview...

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

It isn't piracy. A store may have broken its contract by releasing the book early (I can't seem to get a straight answer whether or not stores get WotC's products with a street date or not, let alone whether they've entered a contract with WotC to honour that street date). But that isn't piracy.
I love that no one, including Hellcow on the enworld boards, is like "This is piracy this madman must be stopped!"

Guess that's the reaction for giving us rehashish and fluff and then calling it a preview...

Why would it be piracy? The poster there is from Holland and international Amazon.com's tend to send the books earlier than in America. Over at the Star Wars RPG forums someone in Japan always gets the book 1-2 weeks early and previews it.

Just because someone has a book before you doesn't make it piracy.
Just because someone has a book before you doesn't make it piracy.

Exactly. Its not piracy. Thank you for reading what I said carefully. ;)

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

Exactly. Its not piracy. Thank you for reading what I said carefully. ;)

Sorry. I mistook what you said as sarcasm. You know how it is on the internet. I read it:

[sarcasm]I love how...[/sarcasm]

Again sorry for that.
Its okay. John did the same thing but he gets off for being a Governor.

So it's true then. No racial restrictions on the dragonmarks.

And behold... I appear from an internet hotspot at UK Games Expo to attempt to soothe fears.

There are no racial restrictions on the dragonmark feats themselves. However, both the EPG and ECG have a lot of text discussing the significance of race, highlighting the fact that the marks are tied to race, but "as a player character, you can choose to be an exception, because player characters are uniquely significant individuals." The ECG goes into this in more detail, noting that such a character might be one of the first in history to develop such a mark, and could potentially be targeted for extermination by the houses. So if you take the marks in isolation - stripping setting away - they have no restrictions. However, within Eberron there ARE racial connections and consequences for ignoring them.

In short, what you're getting now are just glimpses of a big picture. People posting things often haven't read through all the information or are only presenting part of it. I won't say any more, because *I'M* under NDA and because I'm traveling and really don't have the time. But bear in mind that brief spoilers may miss the greater depth of the book.