Grand History of Eberron Available Now

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
For anyone interested in the lore of Eberron, especially with the new 4E campaign guide not releasing until June, I have created a compilation of Eberron lore and history in the tradition of the Grand History of the Realms, entitled (what else) The Grand History of Eberron. It contains all known Eberron history and lore available in all the 3.5 Edition sourcebooks and Internet sources, and also includes some preparations for the eventual update of Eberron for 4E. Please take a look, feel free to download the document at your convenience, in both Word or PDF format (you need to sign up for the site below but its free and does not send spam) and let me know what you think. The Grand History has been revised to drastically reduce the number of footnotes and to include new material, including a much-needed Table of Contents, a Gazeteer of the Five Nations, new pictures and descriptions of all the dragonmarked houses, the unique races of Eberron, the religions of Eberron and a set of historical maps. At Keith Baker's request, the Grand History now also includes a full acknowledgement of both his work and the work of all the others who have created the wonderful lore of Eberron and a small Bibliography is also now attached at page 3. If we could make this a sticky I'd really appreciate it.

Enjoy!

[url]www.scribd.com/doc/7469132/The-Grand-His... [url]

The Grand History is also available for free download here, no sign-up required. This is probably the easiest place to download the file:

uploadingit.com/d/YKJASW2FL6IIEM7N
HOLY !@#$%#$%^&(*^%$#$@#!@%$^%*(*& that is alot of stuff i have not read it but OMG it is sooooooooooooooooooooooo big i can not believe you did that it.
I went through the document. Have you written all of this? Or did you copy/paste historical text from the eberron book collection in this huge document?
Is there any way to download this without signing up for the site? I am starting to read it now, but would rather have it for use when I don't have internet access.
The text is drawn from all known published Eberron sourcebooks and Internet material, but has been rewritten in some places so that it now forms a coherent whole. No source currently places all of Eberron's historical information together in one source like this, and this also provides access to some of the harder to track-down pieces of information, like the name of Eberron's lost thirteenth moon (I'm not telling you'll have to read it!). However, as you may notice on the title page, this is only an editing credit, not a writing one. The credit for the material rightly belongs to the authors who originally prepared it in the sourcebooks and Internet articles. However, this document places all of this information in one place for the first time and allows a user to actually understand the full scope of the lore and the myriad connections between Eberron's past and various plots of the present. It is an invaluable resource for DMs designing new campaigns or for people who simply enjoy the world and would like to know everything about it all in one place and with a storyline that is now continuous and fully-fleshed out with the end of Edition 3.5. The Guide is meant to be very similar to the original Grand History of the Realms, which started out simply as an Internet compilation, but unlike that document this is far more than just a chronology and provides the context and full explanations for every event. And also maps, gotta love the maps!
You have to sign up for Scribd to download the document, unfortunately, however it is free and you can opt out of any email from the site, so there is no reason not to sign up if you would like to download it. And of course, you can preview the document without signing up. Please tell others on the board if you find this a useful resource; I have worked very hard on this and would like to see it be enjoyed and used by as many of our fellow Eberron fans as possible.
I am just worried that this is not considered Open Game Content, but I have already posted a link to this over on my more frequented forums (dragonavenue.com)
Thanks Talae I appreciate it. As for the Open Gaming License, there is no actual rules information in the document, and there is more original content than the initial Grand History of the Realms, which was literally just a list of chronologies uploaded directly to the Internet from 2E and 3E Forgotten Realms sourcebooks and modules. As a free document intended solely for fan use and appreciation with no intention of profit or benefit, it is a resource that should be welcomed by all fans of Eberron--and those wishing to expand the appetite among Eberron fans for new 4E Eberron material. Thanks again!
Thankyou so much for this excellent resource it really is appreciated.

For those of you with kids please check out the D&D Parents Group. http://community.wizards.com/dndparents

I haven't read the document in depth yet, but it does look great. One thing though, I'm not a fan of seeing footnotes take up half the page.
I would be concerned with the fact that by reprinting material or even rewriting material already under copyright that you might in fact be going to get phone calls from the lawyers of WotC. It seems that it could be infringement. Be warned.
not relevant any longer
I would be concerned with the fact that by reprinting material or even rewriting material already under copyright that you might in fact be going to get phone calls from the lawyers of WotC. It seems that it could be infringement. Be warned.

Meh. I'd think that if WotC took the opportunity to publish a fan-made Grand History of the Realms, they set a precedent that could support a fan-made Grand History of Eberron.
Wow, thanks for doing this. I haven't had a chance to look through it very much, but I can't wait to do so.
In response to Vael's comment about the footnotes, I agree and do apologize for the length of several of the footnotes but I made the decision to sacrifice some readability in certain cases for more information. I'm sure the true lore junkies will understand. However, despite their length, several of the longer footnotes do include information drawn from several different sources and I decided that putting the information in once place in the context of its historical development was an interesting and unique enough approach that the reader would forgive me for the added eyestrain. ;)
I also woud like to point out that I will be uploading in the next few days a revised edition that will fix some typos and poor grammar, add a table of contents to help the reader zero in on exactly those topics of Eberron history that are most interesting and a conversion to a PDF format that will also aid readability and search functions. As always, I welcome any comments and suggestion for improvements so this fan-made resource can be of maximum use and enjoyment for other fans of Eberron.
Brilliant. With some more formatting, a chapter format (and corresponding Table of Contents), and toning down of those righteously huge footnotes, this could be a definitive source for Ebby fans.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Would you be opposed to sharing the original document with us? I'd like to format this document to my own style.
Would you be opposed to sharing the original document with us? I'd like to format this document to my own style.

You can download it in pdf, word and text formats.
You can download it in pdf, word and text formats.

Yes, I know that. But that's sometimes a product of converting from PDF to Word depending on what was uploaded to the system. Such a conversion can mess up the original formatting in Word.
I am not opposed to sharing the original document here, if someone could tell me how to do so without sending quite a lot of emails;)
What's the file size of the original doc? If it's small enough, you could upload it to a Google Pages account as a file (uploaded stuff on the right side) and link to it.
You could host it somewhere else and then link to it. Think about zipping it first.
I just have to say, that this may be one of the most awesome things I have ever downloaded. :D And once there is a table of contents, like you mentioned, it will be even more awesome. Thanks for the effort!
Thats a great idea about Google Pages. Let me finish the proofreading, pare down some of the footnotes and attach the table of contents and chapter breaks tonight and tomorrow morning I will upload it to google pages and replace the original link. Then maybe you guys can help me further dissemintae it in multiple formats so people can access it however they like and also you can place the new, more permanent link on the various Eberron link pages. Thanks for all the feedback, it's been very helpful in helping me improve the work. I also want to thank Brian James, the author of the Grand History of the Realms, for his kind words about the Grand History of Eberron.
The Grand History has been revised! The Grand History has been changed to tighten the text, drastically reduce the number of footnotes and to include new material, including a Gazeteer of the Five Nations, a Table of Contents (little bit skewed in the PDF version because of the changed formatting, the Word version is perfectly formatted) and descriptions of all the dragonmarked houses, the unique races of Eberron, the religions of Eberron and a set of historical maps. Unfortunately, Google Pages is no longer accepting new members, so Scribd will have to remain the primary mode of transmission for now, but the PDF version of the file is relatively small (5MB) and I give full permission to anyone out there who would like to download it and post it in a more accessible or more oft-traveled website. Any links to the previous version of the Grand History need to be changed to the one that now is present on the initial post in this thread or at the bottom of this post. The Grand History is also available in the Running Eberron Forum.
This is the final version of the Grand History until 4E Eberron releases, so I hope it is of great use to everybody who enjoys the lore of this wonderful world. I would like to make this link a sticky so everyone could enjoy it, if that is possible. Please feel free to make any comments or offer any suggestions. Enjoy!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6120625/The-Grand-History-of-Eberron
Nice job, really like it.
In addition, because of some people who have had trouble signing up for Scribd or getting it to work the Grand History of Eberron is now also available for free download from www.rapidshare.com, a site that requires no sign-up. The Grand History is in both Word and PDF format, though I personally prefer the Word format since the PDF format changed the formatting slightly in translation. As always, enjoy and please feel free to comment or suggest further improvements or new additions.

http://rapidshare.com/files/14721542...erron.doc.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/14721542...erron.pdf.html
Hey is there any chance of getting Hellcow to comment on what he thinks of the Grand History? I heard from Brian James and one of the new Eberron novel authors. How about the Progenitor himself?
Hey is there any chance of getting Hellcow to comment on what he thinks of the Grand History?

I just went to take a look, and the two links posted above say "File not found." Is it down?
I just went to take a look, and the two links posted above say "File not found." Is it down?

this link is still up.
Just curious - am I missing an acknowledgements and/or bibliography page? Personally, given that at a quick skim I see a lot of my own work, it would be nice if someone who picked this up knew that this was the case. The same goes for James Wyatt, Ari Marmell, Scott Fitzgerald Gray, C.A. Suleiman, and all the others whose work is included here. While I think that something like this could be an excellent resource for the Eberron community - especially given the edition change, and especially if it could be done in an officially sanctioned manner - as is, there's a part of me that rankles at seeing my own words used without some sort of acknowledgement of that fact.

I'm in the midst of a major deadline at the moment, so it's going to be a bit before I have a chance to review this in detail. I also don't know the history behind the Grand History of the Realms, which I think is critical to how WotC will react to this; you're definitely dealing with some copyright issues. But it's certainly an impressive effort, and I look forward to examining it in more detail when I have time.
All of the posted links are currently working, perhaps the rapidshare ones were down before. Use the following scribd link, its always functional. If you still are having trouble I will email you a copy personally, perhaps to your Web site. Please let me know what you think Hellcow.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6120625/Th...ory-of-Eberron
Ok sounds good. I will add acknowledgements for each of the works cited. However, no authorship credit or claim of original work was taken by myself, only an editing one.
However, no authorship credit or claim of original work was taken by myself, only an editing one.

Certainly, and I noticed and appreciated that. I'm just saying that while you don't take credit, you also don't give it - and while this represents a great deal of work on your part, it also reflects years of work by other writers, who deserve to be recognized for what they've done.
Keith you make a very valid, fair and undeniable point. As a result, a full acknowledgement has been added to the cover page and a Works Cited/Bibliography page of every work and author used from published Wizards sourcebooks, Internet and Dragon Magazine Articles has been added at page 3. The URL for your Dragonshards Archive has also been added. All the links where the Grand History is available have now been converted to reflect these changes. If you feel more is needed, it will be added, as the Grand History is intended as nothing more than an homage and celebration of the extraordinary creativity and hard work that you and all the other authors at Wizards have put into Eberron over the past decade.

Now with that said, I hope when you have more time, you can peruse the Grand History in more detail and make suggestions, corrections and the like where you deem appropriate
First off, this is very useful. Great job!

Second, there's a lot of information in the Age of Giants section that I can't seem to find anywhere else--like the information about the Orbs of Dragonkind and the Moon Breaker. What's the source of that info?
That whole story is told--somewhat obliquely--in City of Stormreach. I believe the Orbs of Dragonkind in particular is on the section about the Oasis of Blood. This is why the Grand History exists, to put these obscure but incredibly important pieces of lore together in one, easily accessible place. Thanks for reading!
Second, there's a lot of information in the Age of Giants section that I can't seem to find anywhere else--like the information about the Orbs of Dragonkind and the Moon Breaker. What's the source of that info?

Canon-wise, there's a different approach to the Orbs of Dragonkind in a sidebar on page 25 of Dragons of Eberron (though one could argue that later orbs could have been created in emulation of these primal orbs).

Meanwhile, The Shattered Land presents one look at the moon breaker - but of course, as a novel, it's not canon.
The Grand History has been updated again with the addition of an organizations of Khorvaire section. Check it out if you have not yet done so!
Jeezus H... I just found this! You sir are a herculean exemplar!
In response to the promptings of some fans of the Grand History I have added several new sections, including Gazeteers of Sarlona and Argonessen and new appendices detailing the important organizations that operate on those continents. The historical events of these continents have also been added to the main timeline in greater detail. As a result, the Grand History now covers material on all of the known continents of Eberron. As always, all information has been revised to reflect 4E where the possibility of obvious translations of 3.5 Edition material to 4E material exists (for instance making Aundairian Knights Arcane into swordmages instead of duskblades). If you have already downloaded the Grand History, please do so again to get the revised material and enhance your enjoyment of this netbook. If you have not yet downloaded the Grand History, please do so. The links on the first post in this thread have been updated with the revisions. As always, I welcome your comments and suggestions for improvements and further useful additions. Enjoy!