Warforged Artificer Racial Substitution Levels Class Features Questions.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I guess I'll post this here in a last ditch attempt.

In regards to the Racial Substitution Level's for Warforged Artificers in Races of Eberron, I'd like to be clarify some things regarding the Craft Weapon Familiar class feature, particularly the share infusions ability.

1) As I read it, if I where to cast Bull Strength on my character, who is a Warforged, my weapon familiar would be effected by it also, and it would become the equivlent to a Belt of Giant Strength (AKA, Belt of Strength +4), and my character would have a +4 enhancment from Bull strength, meaning he would get a +4 to Strength (because enhancement bonuses don't stack, correct?).
2) That would mean that even if the infusion was dispelled on my character, he would still get a +4 from his Belt of Giant Strength Weapon Familiar, Correct?
3) Now, the +1 CL from the Infuse Self, would it carry over to the Weapon Familiars infusion? As I read it, I believe yes, but...
4) Now again, Let say the Warforged casts the Infusion Spell Storing Item on himself, that too would carry over to the weapon, effectively making it as if he casted the Infusion twice for the cost of one right?
5) But the two Spell Storing Item Infusions would have to emulate the same spell right, or could one emulate Magic Missile, the other Fireball?

If you have any questions regarding this, or are just plain confused, just post here, and I'll see if I can answer or help.

Also, thanks for any replies =3
1) If you cast Bull Strength on yourself, you get +4 Strength. If you cast it on an item, that item gets +4 Strength. Essentially, this gives the item a higher attack bonus, higher damage, higher grapple, etc. Turns out Items, as long as they aren't animated, don't get motor functions, i.e. attacks and the like.
It doesn't turn the item into a Belt of Giant Strength. It doesn't turn the item into anything. An item gaining +4 strength grants it no bonus, nor does it grant a bonus to the user of said item.
This class feature is more potent for things like Repair Spells, and things like Weapon Augmentation.
2) No, because your item does not become a magical enhancer, it's just got +4 strength itsself
3) The ability reads any Infusion you cast on YOURSELF gets a +1. If you're wielding a sword, it's not a part of you. If you're using it on your Slam attack, it is.
4) Technically, yes, but a Warforged can't simply say, "Self" he has to target a WEAPON for a WEAPON buff. He can, for example, enchant his Slam attack, then enchant his Sword with it, however, there's a hitch. The Weapon Augmentation spells all specify Natural or Manufactured weapon. At your DM's discretion, you can count your Slam as Manufactured, but if you cast Spell Storing on your Slam with 'Personal Natural Weapon Augmentation' your sword is NOT a Natural weapon, so it won't get the bonus.
5) They can emulate seperate different spells.
Sorry for ressurecting a very old thread, but this exact issue came up to me too now.
And the answer is TERRIBLE and almost totally wrong. Phelot doesn't seem to understand how Artificers work.

Normally an Artificer cannot cast an infusion of Bull Strength on himself or others. He casts it on an item. Like their helmet or armor. Only exception is if the target is a Warforged (or other construct type), then it can be cast directly on them. So yes, your weapon familiar would give +4 Str enhancement bonus, but you can't really let others wield it easily (Ego check) so the only bonus is redudancy to enemy dispels.

Repair Spells only work on Constructs so your weapon isn't normally affected, but Share Infusions says:
"The weapon familiar must be held at the time of casting to receive the benefit, and the creator and his weapon familiar can share spells even if those spells don’t normally affect objects."
You could argue that your weapon gets repaired too, but most DMs would say they aren't constructs, the spell affects it but does nothing.
Unless you have Tools of War (at 4th lvl) which gives you the ability to repair the target object of a number of points of damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
But both these bonuses only apply when sunder is in play and that is a much hated mechanic for obvious reasons, rarely used. Same with resist energy type effects that only give benefit to your weapon if it's directly attacked (and you're not wielding it, or your resist has been dispelled).

Note that infusions you cast on your weapon do not get "shared" back to you. So you don't get the Tools of War repair benefit on your warforged if you cast Weapon Augmentation on your weapon. And you can't cast it on yourself because it has target "weapon touched" (not object/item, but weapon specifically), and a warforged is not a weapon unless a Giant wields it as a club or something :p
Can you make a Weapon Familiar Battlefist? If so then Natural Weapon Augmentation might work with Tools of War mini-repair bonus.

So, where does that leave us? It's obvious that this ability was not well thought out. Another indication is that it says:
"This ability otherwise functions identically to the share spells ability (page 53 of the Player’s Handbook)."
It's obvious that normal familiars are a lot more affected by shared spells. Unless you can make a (permanently?) dancing weapon familiar and argue it's a creature now, which is a moot point (you get no benefits if you're not wielding it). Also note a weapon familiar (normally) only shares infusions and not spells or other effects. A very limited list. You can't even use wands and scrolls and stuff.

Then comes the Spell Storing Item infusion. By RAW* you're allowed to cast this on an object or construct. So you would be able to cast it on yourself and store a spell and store the same spell on your weapon familar too and then use them each as a wand with 1 charge. But I find this terribly abusive and not RAI.
You could also argue that using the "holding the charge**" rules you could cast a Repair Spell on yourself, use your free hand to touch yourself and heal, and hold the charge in your weapon familiar (it can deliver touch spells) for a heal on the next round. That seems a bit abusive too.

How about Infuse Self +1 caster level? How does that apply? It says:
"This caster level bonus applies only to effects that target the warforged artificer, even if an effect can be made to target other creatures simultaneously."
But with Share Infusion you could argue the effect isn't targeting other creatures like for example a Mass Cure Wounds spell, it's simply shared to your familiar after it's cast on you and only you.

What would a smart DM do? How to rule on all this? It's either OP cheesy doubling tricks or almost worthless stuff. How to find a proper middle road?
I'm thinking allow the +1 CL from Infuse Self (it only marginally affects duration usually). Also allow Tools of War usage in every way (even allow Artificer to cast Weapon Augmentation and Magic Weapon on himself and still affect his weapon familiar). But not to allow double dipping (Repair/Damage infusions or Spell Storing Item infusion). But also allow it to share spells and spell-like effects and not only infusions (subject to DM approval to avoid cheese). Also allow Warforged Plating to count for Infuse Self, so spells like Armor Augmentation and Magic Vestment get +1 CL.
How's that?

(Hmm, I just remembered about Item Alteration, lvl 4 infusion. That complicates things a bit)

*= "An artificer’s infusions can only be imbued into an item or a construct (including warforged). He can not, for example, simply imbue an ally with bull’s strength. He must instead imbue that ability into an item his ally is wearing. The item then functions as a belt of giant strength for the duration of the infusion. He can, however, imbue bull’s strength directly on a construct or a character with the living construct subtype, and infusions such as repair light
damage and iron construct function only when imbued on such characters."

**= Touch Spells and Holding the Charge

In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can’t hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell.