How much of Sharn Floats?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I know Sharn has some stuff that floats, but just how much of it is floating? Is it just a handful of areas? If so, are these areas overly big?
Only the upper-most part of the city (the wealthiest of wealthy neighborhoods) are built on a floating chunk of rock. See Sharn: City of Towers for more details.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
Yep, although, there might have been a few individual towers too, but I don't remember. Most of the towers are on the ground, only requiring Sharn's manifest zone to stay high.
Couple of images from the Sharn City of Towers Map Gallery.

Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
See Sharn: City of Towers for more details.

Aiming for slightly more info ;)

Thanks for what y'all did post though That picture looks like its an entire district. So I'd say they'd have upperclass stores, homes, theatres, schools, etc?
Skyway is made up of two districts, Azure and Brilliant and yes they contain upper class residential buildings, restaurants, schools, shops etc. It's the most expensive place to live in Sharn so think as opulent a setting as you can, sculpted clouds, griffon riding messengers, huge estates.
How much of Sharn Floats?

Let's throw it in the Dagger River and find out.

Honestly though, Skyway is the main bit that floats. That random tower in the previous image, I've not heard of it.
I have to say I've never seen that Sharn profile as an actual depiction of the city. It always seemed too small to represent it entirely, and the architecture is way too bland for such a diverse city, it makes it look like some big fort.

This on the other hand- makes you understand why fantasy and fantastic are so similar.
Most of the towers are on the ground, only requiring Sharn's manifest zone to stay high.

This is important. While the higher towers don't float as a whole, I guess that flying buttresses are part of the construction, i.e. some towers use floating parts to keep it structurally intact.

If the floating effect could be stopped, I guess a lot of towers would collapse, because they're sort of anchored to the air.

Cheers, LT.
Aiming for slightly more info ;)

Well, my apologies, but WotC gets a little annoyed when people post entire chapters of their books for free on the Internet. :P
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
If the floating effect could be stopped, I guess a lot of towers would collapse, because they're sort of anchored to the air.

Correct. And like Grifo, I see that sketch as a general representation more than a perfect depiction. Skyway is a significant piece of the city that floats, containing two full districts. There are a handful of individual floating towers (which is where you had the Crystal Tower, which fell during the war). And the upper levels of the city are supported by flying buttresses. But Skyway and the free-floating towers are a fairly small percentage of the city itself.
This on the other hand- makes you understand why fantasy and fantastic are so similar.

That picture is gorgeous - wherever did you get it?
R Grant Erswell Geek in wolf's clothing

It's the cover of Rise of the Seventh Moon, third book in the Heirs of Ash series of novels. Philip Straub is the artist for this, although on the book cover they made it a lot darker that it was initially.

I found it on Philip Straub's site. There's some good art in there and I posted three other pictures in this thread.
Enjoy.

I have to say I actually don't really like that one, It has too much of a desert(sp?) feel to it.
Not to mention it seems way too big and floaty.;)
Sign In to post comments