The New Eberron Campaign Setting Book

108 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ask Not what the New Eberron Campaign Setting Book can do for you...
Ask what you can do for The New Eberron Campaign Setting Book...

OK everyone, we need something new to talk about... and disembodies threads aren't helping.... SO i am starting a new thread to ask you, the Public and Fans of this Grand Campaign, this Marvel of ingenuity and imagination...

WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF A NEW EBERRON CAMPAIGN BOOK?

The reason i say this is not to speculate what will or wont be in the book, but to see what my fellow Eberron Fans want in a new book, that we didn't get in the old, or that we fear we will lose in the translation from old to new... or that we hope they will get right this time... (map scales I'm looking at you)

we have an chance to help shape a game we all love dear and true, to talk about what we need and want to make the game better then ever before... Eberron may be after Forgotten Realms (and it damn better be) and personally I'm glad because we have already shown how the Setting is far from set in stone and more so the contents of the book that let us walk in its world...

Please... Discuss away...
More Kalastar... I love the Kalastar!
More relative info on the fringe nations.

More info on the badguy organizations. (The Aurum in particular). Possibly adventure seed samples for each group.

Tips on how to run/make characters that assist in the themes of Eberron (pulp, intrigue, etc).
I think its going to be very hard for there to be significant differences between the 3e and 4e ECS given they've ruled out advancing the timeline.

They can't do `more' and `more' because they still have to cover everything basic within the physical constraints of a setting book, and they can't make very much stuff different because of no timeline advancement.

It'll be tough for them to make a 4e ECS valuable enough to be worth the rebuy.
I hope to all of The Sovergin Host that they update the Artificer to 4th Edition and as well make the Racial Talent Trees for the other Eberron Races.
:fight!:
More relative info on the fringe nations.

More info on the badguy organizations. (The Aurum in particular). Possibly adventure seed samples for each group.

Tips on how to run/make characters that assist in the themes of Eberron (pulp, intrigue, etc).

That sounds good to me.

Try to clear up Thrane's reputation -- it's a mostly good place with a few really dark stains.

Try to clear up Karrnath's reputation -- they're an urbane, sophisticated people with a few uncivilized bumpkins in the backwoods.

Aundair could use a little more character. I don't know what's missing, but the place is a bit bland compared to the other nations.

Cyre needs a past, right there in the ECS. The Cyran Who Lost His Homeland is a compelling role, and it's a lot easier to pull off if you know what the homeland was like. (If the ECS is two books, one for DMs and one for Players, "Cyre of the Past" should be a nation entry in the Player's book, and the Mournland should be in the DM's.)

Breland is just right. It's in the Goldilocks Zone.
I would like to see some more comprehensive information on the religions and philosophies of the setting. Whatever information is included about the Blood of Vol, for instance, should explain why regular people follow the faith as well as why it's a great antagonist for PCs.
Christopher Adams Religion must remain an outlet for people who say to themselves, "I am not the kind of person I want to be." It must never sink into an assemblage of the self-satisfied. - Frank Herbert, Dune
I think its going to be very hard for there to be significant differences between the 3e and 4e ECS given they've ruled out advancing the timeline.

They can't do `more' and `more' because they still have to cover everything basic within the physical constraints of a setting book, and they can't make very much stuff different because of no timeline advancement.

It'll be tough for them to make a 4e ECS valuable enough to be worth the rebuy.

Personally i don't think they will have that much problem updating the Setting to the Core Rules and Keeping the setting the same... if you really think about it... a change to how Magic casters pick spells isn't that profound after all Magewrights make up the vast majority of Casters next to the Artificer which should get its own update... arcane with Leadership role i hope, no more of this "mystery power source"... and if they change Cleric and Paladin Magic system? who cares? last i checked most churches were run by Adapts and Experts.... i can see issues with the lack of a druid class as that is a Big part of Eberron... those crazy druid sects.... and well Years and Years of Warfare... someone must have come up with a better deathtrap... i mean mouse trap...

what i personally want from a New Eberron Campaign Setting Book:
  • Better Maps with a Standardized Scale...
  • Chapter Markers
  • Airship Layouts and more designs for them... bigger and smaller
  • An Artificer Class that doesn't maker you as a Munchkin from day one for playing
  • Unique Racial Trees for Races that change drastically from Normal D&D to Eberron... Elves in Eberron don't strike me as tree hungers as they do in normal D&D... and Half-orcs aren't wild and crazy... i can go on...
  • a little more about the world OUTSIDE of the 5 nations...
  • unique class features/racial features for Different cultures (Valenar elves are different from Breland Elves, Humans from Khorvaire are much diffrent from Humans from both Argonnessen and Sarlona...
Personally i don't think they will have that much problem updating the Setting to the Core Rules and Keeping the setting the same...

I think that Haulbrands' point is that when you're asking for new racial features, more information about other countries, airship layouts, and so on, you need to look at the existing ECS and figure out what they'd take out in order to make room for the new things you want to see. Because the new ECS isn't just an update for people who have been around from day one; it needs to serve as the core foundation book for someone who's never played the setting before and who doesn't own any other book. If it's as large as WotC books get already (which I believe is the case), then if you add in four pages of airship layouts you've got to drop four pages of existing material... what would that be?
Thank you for putting that so much more clearly than I did.
... then if you add in four pages of airship layouts you've got to drop four pages of existing material... what would that be?

Optional spell components. Or at least they should rewrite them, because they are pretty useless right now. (I am not sure whether they are 4 pages, though)
Optional spell components. Or at least they should rewrite them, because they are pretty useless right now. (I am not sure whether they are 4 pages, though)

Good call. They are, in fact, only one page. But I agree - I think that's a page that could be better spent.
The special materials could also use a revisit or outright removal. It never adequately explains how soarwood becomes lighter than air for airships, but only reduces weight to 3/4 normal. Byeshk and targath, while intresting, don't really add anything to the world IMO.

The monsters included could stand to be more carefully chosen. Daelkyr and ascendant councilors, while important in to the world are unlikely to be encountered by PCs, and can probably be reduced to fluff.

I want more racial diversity. Not much information is given as to how the various nations integrate other races into their society beyond the DMH.

A Talenta that makes more sense. Talenta has militarily powerful and expansionist nations on several borders, no geographic barriers to entry, and still has a unique ecology and independence without central authority? If it seemed newly independent it wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't feel like it was ever a part of Karrnath or Cyre. It's about as plausible as dinosaurs eating grass... oh, wait...

Karrnath was already named Karrnath after Karrn the Conquerer when it was renamed after Galifar's son Karrn? That seems a little contrived.

A passing mention of how bright/big the moons are would be nice, is Eberron always in full moonlight? Did there use to be a thirteenth month, but no one knows what happened to it?
While I understand most of your complaints...
A Talenta that makes more sense. Talenta has militarily powerful and expansionist nations on several borders, no geographic barriers to entry, and still has a unique ecology and independence without central authority? If it seemed newly independent it wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't feel like it was ever a part of Karrnath or Cyre.

You've lost me on multiple points.

To begin: "Talenta has militarily powerful and expansionist nations on several borders." I assume that you're talking about Valenar and Karrnath. Now, according to Forge of War (page 26), as of 940 YK the Plains were still claimed by Karrnath. They weren't an independent nation; on the contrary, they weren't even considered to be a nation. It was a part of Karrnath that happened to have some wild halflings running around. And in fact, according to the ECS, prior to the Last War the halflings of the Plains had to pay tribute to the king of Galifar.

Beyond that, it's already been noted multiple times that the population density of Khorvaire is low - that this is where "points of light" comes into Eberron. Karrnath may have had the POWER to conquer the Talenta Plains and force the halflings to speak Karrnathi... but how much effort would it have been, and what would they have gained by doing it? It was already Karrnath on the map. The halflings were paying their king. Why devote a massive amount of military resources to conquering, unifying, and administering savage people who posed no threat?

If you're counting Valenar in the picture, it's even worse. The population of the Talenta Plains is five times that of Valenar... and Valenar itself is already far too much territory for the elves to control. The Valenar are aggressive, but they want a military challenge. What would the elves gain by conquering halflings? Given that there's no strong system of central authority in place, it would be a nightmare to administrate, and the Valenar don't want to be governors - they want to fight. Looking again to Forge of War, page 81 addresses the fact that they "don't even really want the territory they claimed under the Treaty of Thronehold. They simply required a base from which to operate on Khorvaire, and a central location that would convince others to attack them." Hellcow has echoed this, noting that the Valenar dream would be for Karrnath to attack them in Valenar... and that their raiding is both to keep their troops fit and an effort to provoke a response.

The Talenta Plains are newly independent. Their customs haven't changed because Galifar never enforced its CUSTOMS on the people of the plains. Like Droaam in Breland, the Talenta Plains were a backwater claimed by one of the Five Nations but never actively colonized by humans.

It's about as plausible as dinosaurs eating grass... oh, wait...

So... highly plausible?
My comment about grass perhaps requires some explanation. Grass requires specific adaptations to digest. Grass did not exist when dinosaurs existed. Ergo, dinosaurs do not have the adaptations to eat grass. It is a silly and peevish complaint, has no bearing on the world of Eberron, but is something that nonetheless bothers me.

What lacks believability for me regarding Talenta is three-fold.

First of all, even if there was no wholesale acculturation of Talenta, it is not feasible that there would be absolutely no expansion into the Talenta Plains on the part of Karrnath and Cyre during its thousands of years of occupation. Either the halflings resisted human incursion more ferociously than is currently portrayed or a few scattered roads and abandoned settlements should be added to provide the sense that humans once existed there.

The current Talenta/Karrnathi border seems arbitrary. From the map it looks like a line through the middle of supposably arable land with no distinguishing features. Did they just plop down a big fence with occasional "No Trespassing" signs?

Thirdly why do dinosaurs exist solely on the Talenta Plains and not spread to surrounding areas with similar environs? It runs counter to how ecologies behave. There should at least also be dinosaurs in Karrnath.

Talenta easily has the potential for an old west feel. Human ranchers having difficulty with the native Injuns (err, halflings). Ghost towns could litter the Plains casualties of the Last War or halfling raids. I'd like to see this avenue explored.
Fair enough - good points.

My point is that it's all a question of how densely you populate Karrnath as it gets close to the border. Just by the maps in the ECS, the closest Karrnathi settlement to the border of the Plains is still almost 100 miles away from that actual border. Looking at the map of the ECS, I'd assume that the vast bulk of the population of Karrnath lives west of Vulyar. Again, when you consider the low population numbers, it's reasonable to assume that the people of Galifar would huddle relatively close together - putting the major populations around Thronehold. Same principle as Droaam once being part of Breland on the maps, but Breland never actually having settlers in Droaam or the Marches... because they never needed to go that far to find open land. I'd assume that Vulyar was the de facto eastern border... with Karrnath claiming the eastern lands out of imperial pique.

Meanwhile, the Talenta Plains are hardly inviting territory. "The Talenta Plains are vast and wild... the wilderness can be dangerous, with predatory dinosaurs, Valenar elf marauders, and other threats ranging from the mundane to the supernatural." If we haven't even fully settled eastern present-day Karrnath, why press into barbaric dinosaur country?

With that said, I've got no problem with the idea of their being some ghost towns from people who tried; all I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that the land isn't littered with them. Western Breland, eastern Karrnath, the Eldeen Reaches (which used to be "Aundair") - there's a lot of open frontier land just in the modern borders, let alone the old.

Thirdly why do dinosaurs exist solely on the Talenta Plains and not spread to surrounding areas with similar environs?

They don't exist solely in the Plains. Check under the heading "Dinosaurs" in the ECS:
Dinosaurs are widespread on Eberron, particularly in Xen'drik, Argonnessen, Q'barra, and the Talenta Plains.

They are especially common in Q'barra and the Plains - in part, I would imagine, because the two have similar environments - but I'd assume that you can also find dinosaurs everywhere from southern Karrnath to Breland. "Particularly" doesn't mean "only"; it simply means that they have thrived there.

This divergence could also be explained by the presence of the Dhakaani empire in the heartland of Khorvaire. Presumably the Dhakaani - who at their height may have achieved a greater population density than humanity has - would have eliminated creatures they considered a threat. I'm 90% sure I've read somewhere that the lizardfolk were originally spread further west until the Dhakaani drove them east and into Q'barra. So it may be that there used to be as many dinosaurs in Breland as in the plains - but that they were exterminated by the goblins who lived in that land.

In any case, they aren't solely confined to the plains.

It runs counter to how ecologies behave.

I like logic with my fantasy, but I think if you try to push it too hard, things are simply going to break down. The very concept that you could have a world with as many intelligent creatures as the MMs present is mind boggling. The impact of some of the magical abilities of some creatures would be huge. On top of that, you have the fact that this is a world with magic, manipulative dragons and demons, manifest zones and planar convergences, and many other forces that we simply don't see at work in our world. So I certainly see your point, and I don't disagree with it - but unless it's so illogical as to completely break a story, it doesn't worry me too much.
I think that Haulbrands' point is that when you're asking for new racial features, more information about other countries, airship layouts, and so on, you need to look at the existing ECS and figure out what they'd take out in order to make room for the new things you want to see. Because the new ECS isn't just an update for people who have been around from day one; it needs to serve as the core foundation book for someone who's never played the setting before and who doesn't own any other book. If it's as large as WotC books get already (which I believe is the case), then if you add in four pages of airship layouts you've got to drop four pages of existing material... what would that be?

things to remove and/or simplify
  • Region of Origin in the Character Races Section, this can been simplified and move to the Geography section...
  • Since Action Points are going Core and are changing thats one page you can lose...
  • Outsiders in Eberron, in the Magic Chapter. This information is Neat and Cool but is present in Monster Manuals Currently and So i would hope in 4E they keep it in the MM and out of the ECS and thats almost 4 pages...

• those are just things on top of my head... with out any understanding of how Magic Items, Magic spells and Feats are changing i can't say if those sections are going to be shorter or longer...

Another Option is the PHB2, we don't yet know how the Players Handbooks that come out each year will relate to the Campaigns coming out each year... where the PHBs will have the Races and Classes for each setting or wither they will have nothing relating to the setting... if they do thats a good size of the book that can be taken out from Domains, Warforged, Shifters, Changlings, Artificers... and if the DMG2 will be released as well, they could put in some of the Special Materials and some Magic Items in them that don't relate too Specifically to an aspect of Eberron (like magic items that enhance dragonmarks)

Some parts of the Eberron Campaign book that we have now are important... and others are not so... they will have to figure out what is what... and i trust them...
Yeah, I don't think daelkyr stuff really needs to be in the 4EECS given they're not even meant to be around any more. Which means delaying symbionts and similar stuff to a later book.
What I want is more underwater adventure.

I Would Also like to se rules to change the base components of a warforged, like making a warforged with coral plating, or making the base structure out of stabilized Quicksilver, another cool thing.

A Dominion or religion is needed that gives the powers to heal warforged.

Psionics and Incarnum need more clases.

And also The book of nine swords needs to clear some things there is to much likeness between the clases, there are to few, and It would be great if WotC put some atention to the Monk Class and finally gave it more options (we have thousands of martial arts in real life,) really the monk needs some signature power of its own.
Quileth, you want all that in the Eberron Campaign Setting book?

On a side note, there is the crazy rumor running around in Forgotten Realms that there will in fact be three books to the FR campaign setting. The specifics are a mystery to me, but supposedly it will have a separate DM's guide to the Realms with all the juicy secrets.

How cool would that be for Eberron?
If they did so... made a Players Guide and a Dungeon Masters Guide ... that would be GREAT!!!...

that would give a players more detail and leave the stuff the DM really only needs to know to the DM...

I 100% encourage this concept
Quileth, you want all that in the Eberron Campaign Setting book?

On a side note, there is the crazy rumor running around in Forgotten Realms that there will in fact be three books to the FR campaign setting. The specifics are a mystery to me, but supposedly it will have a separate DM's guide to the Realms with all the juicy secrets.

How cool would that be for Eberron?

Hhahaha, not really what I want for Eberon is to provide basic rules on changing the plating and the base structure thats all, I just left my anxiety for changes in fourth edition carry me on hahahaha

I both agree and disagree; I want more on the Kalashtar, but I want less of the common DM's assumption that "psionics = kalashtar (or the Quori, or the Delkyr's various aberrations) only" mindset I've run across. Even the Hellcow himself has assured me that that mindset isn't the way it's supposed to be, so at least a paragraph or three in the new sourcebook would be nice.

I hope to all of The Sovergin Host that they update the Artificer to 4th Edition and as well make the Racial Talent Trees for the other Eberron Races.

Agreed, and seconded (or thirded, or whatever...)
The sycophants and EULA quoters aren't worth our time. 4E =/= Essentials; Essentials =/= 4E. To WotC/DDI: GO "SOON" YOURSELVES. Internet Rule #41. Needs moar Desu. No exceptions.
I think I'd like more on the mythologies of the religions, but maybe that could wait for the 4th ed. FoE update.
Nifty Icon courtesy of Tod.
I wana banana rules o how to make a forge that creates warforged, so I can make them everlasting yeah.
I'd like a little bit more information about Khyber and about the other continents, with adventure hooks for each of them. I'd like to see more monsters given defined roles for the setting, particularly the Githyanki and Githzerai. Again a good way to do this could be through adventure hooks, or even just mention that "X monster exists in Y region and does Z." Also, echoing a previous poster, I'd like to see more detail given to the fringe areas of Khorvaire, particularly to the Shadow Marches, Mror Holds, and Lhazaar Principalities.

Other thoughts: Artificer is obvious; there will be a rewrite of the class for 4E in either the ECS or one of the Player's Handbooks. We can probably expect gnomes to be in PH2 before the ECS comes out, as well. I think separate player and DM books for Eberron would be awesome.
Playing off of Ramses Concepts i have one to say...

Rework the Iconic Monster Section and Continue to give up great "In Eberron" sections of the MM or make this an D&DI add on... this second is kind of worthless and would see better to just list monsters and their actions like Ramses was saying... 1 page to tell us what 4 monsters are like in this world... when that can be done else where and give us more useful information...

to play with the concept of a split book (here that WotC we like the idea of spending more money : ], because it would help us)

[INDENT]things of a Players Guild to Eberron
*Artificer Class
*Races with Eberron-ish Racial "trees" I'm sorry but if they make elves ALL wild and crazy its going to taint my concept of most elves in Eberron... and if the Racial talents are going to focus on this wild wood loving side of them then its going to feel odd to me...
* Brief over view of the Nations and more Detail look at the Non-five nations nations ...

things of a Dungeon Masters guild to Eberron
* Playable NPC, Good and Bad...
* More Detailed and Verity of Air ships... Small Sloop like ones and Big Last War Like War frigate... maybe even modified sea vessels that where turned into flying ones in stressful times..
*Monsters Monsters Monsters... and not your MM kind i want my Crazy Quori my insane Daelkyr, dolgaunt and dolgrim.... and a more detailed section of how Iconic that gives them beyond a fluff style but a crunch style like alternative monster attacks and features... that will let my players know "this isn't your grandpa's Grayhawk and your Mommy's Forgotten Realm" but completely optional... my thoughts are if Mind Flayers are from the Plan of Xoriat i want them to be a little more Xoriat'ish...
*Magic Items... since i don't know enough about how they are changing i can't really same much more then they should be here and not there... [/INDENT]

While i don't want new books for everything from the Five Nations to Dragons of Eberron... there are some things that need to be reprinted so they stay in key with everything else... as the Core Campaign book was the first book out and most notedly the most used... it can use a face left in many sections that doesn't really have anything to do with 4th Edition changes...
I'd like to see:

More inclusive maps with a standardized scale.

Layouts for different Airship designs & layouts for different cars of a Lightning Rail. (Luxury, Steerage, Cargo, etc.) They had these in one of the published adventures and I use them all the time.

An easy to find standardized price chart for travel per mile for both airships and lightning rails.

A graph? or chart? of the different planes/moons and their conterminosity(sp)/phases

I also liked what someone said about cleaning up the image of Thrane and Karrnath.
I'd like to see something that was missing from the Dragonmarked suppliment (most likely on purpose): an entry on the missing 13th mark, including granted powers for all degrees from least to Syberis, which I'm assuming the infamous liche was in possession of.

I'd also like to see more on the villainous organizations. This seems to be a common desire amoung the fanbase. I've always wanted some more tidbits about how the organizations interact with eachother, seeing as most of them are big behind the scenes manipulators. How aware are the Lords of Dust of the Blood of Vol? Do any of the BBEGs know about the Dreaming Dark? Do they use eachother? I could make all this stuff up myself, and most likely will, but it'd be nice to see something from the Wizards about this.

Also,and this may seem WAY out there . . . I'd like to see something about Eberron's moons. I have a feeling they have an important part to play in the destiny of the setting. Inhabitable, maybe. Location of a giant-make spell engine maintained by a surviving clan . .. maybe. Important in the Draconic Prophecy? I think DEFINATELY
I'd like to see:

More inclusive maps with a standardized scale.

Layouts for different Airship designs & layouts for different cars of a Lightning Rail. (Luxury, Steerage, Cargo, etc.) They had these in one of the published adventures and I use them all the time.

An easy to find standardized price chart for travel per mile for both airships and lightning rails.

A graph? or chart? of the different planes/moons and their conterminosity(sp)/phases

DITTO . . .

Players would be best served by a 4E ECS book if it was well organized and easily referenced. All the travelling PCs do in the course of ONE adventure neccessitates easily accessed tables compiled in ONE book. We don't want to have to access three different books to find this info.
We also don't want to have to bring a laptop to the table to access the cosmology tool. We really don't need it to show us when a plane will be coterminous 500 years from now. How many DMs are running campaigns 500 years in Eberron's future? A nice 20 20-50 year spread ought to do it. Either that, or the times when the planes are coterminous could be shortened significantly.
DITTO . . .

Players would be best served by a 4E ECS book if it was well organized and easily referenced. All the travelling PCs do in the course of ONE adventure neccessitates easily accessed tables compiled in ONE book. We don't want to have to access three different books to find this info.
We also don't want to have to bring a laptop to the table to access the cosmology tool. We really don't need it to show us when a plane will be coterminous 500 years from now. How many DMs are running campaigns 500 years in Eberron's future? A nice 20 20-50 year spread ought to do it. Either that, or the times when the planes are coterminous could be shortened significantly.

Doesn't the chart for the coterminous planes have a random start point? There's no reason to take the approach of canonizing exactly when each plane will be coterminous; in fact it hinders the individual DM. The planes are coterminous when a DM needs them to be. The book tells you how long of a window that is, and how long it will be before the plane is coterminous again, but it doesn't give you dates because making a plane coterminous is a DM tool that should be used when appropriate, not when the publishers tell you to use it.

WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF A NEW EBERRON CAMPAIGN BOOK?

Indexes!

Seriously, though... What I need, on a game-to-game basis is this:

-Encounter Maps. It's fun to set encounters on Airships and Lightning Rails, but there's not a ~lot~ to back those encounters up. Even the Explorer's Handbook only barely fleshes things out. See also: Sharn, the Mournland.

-Character Creation help. I am an Eberron junkie, and I've pulled my play group along for the ride. They all love the flavor, but aren't so dedicated as to digest every last scrap of content. I'd like better (or maybe just easier-to-find) summaries of character options for newer players.

-A more concise Cosmology section. It's cool and all, but it feels like supplemental material.

-An expanded Eberron-specific equipment list. There's a lot of unique goodies in the world, and for players, seeing those options in one place can really spark some creativity

-Support for Investigative Campaigns. Anything from mystery-oriented adventure seeds to better Search/Spot/Perception/Investigate rules.

-Points of Light support. A lot of Eberron material is very generalized - this Sharn district is x% fabric shops, Q'Barra is y% lizardmen. Give me specific districts, towns and villages to work with. (Good D&DI or supplemental material? Could be.)

-Adapted Encounter & Treasure tables. I wouldn't use them myself, but I feel like I'm on a roll and it would help DMs fill out setting-specific encounters on the fly.

As a final note, I've seen a lot of comments regarding an Eberron Player's Handbook and an Eberron DMG. I think that's a brilliant idea.

Assuming the content is there, I will go on the record: I would buy one EDMG for myself and then gift one copy of the EPBH to every player at my table. I would love to be able to hand each of them a book that says "this is our campaign world" without handing them the part of the book that says "and here's all the bad guys, their stats and some other stuff you're not supposed to know...".

The kalashtar are why I love Eberron. So definitely like seeing more of them.
The ECS will primarily focus on Khorvaire, I assume. In this case, it'd be nice if there was more detail present for this continent. For example, I would really appreciate having the differences in the cultures of the Five Nations spelled out for players. "If you're from Breland, there's a good chance you won't be too shocked upon seeing monstrous races in civilized areas. Breland's a melting pot, so the Brelish people are more apt to adopt words from other languages, clothing styles from other cultures, and are very willing to experiment with new foods." Something like that for the Five Nations, plus Zilargo, the Eldeen, the Plains, the Holds, maybe Q'barra & Darguun.

ALSO - if kalashtar are in 4ECS (they better!), please spend more time explaining them to new players than the Inspired! Don't add new equipment or rules unless they will really add to the gaming experience! Please playtest things so we don't get stuff like the ultra-broken (and now ultra-nerfed) Weretouched Master!
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
What do I want out of a new Eberron Campaign Setting Book?

• A nice table of contents
  • No more than 100 pages of rules, dedicated to warforged, changeling, kalashtar, shifter, artificer, magewright, infusions, equipment, vehicles, and Eberron-specific monsters
  • A 200-page gazetteer/glossography/encyclopedia of the entire world, including:
    • roughly 100 pages on Khorvaire and Aerenal
    • roughly 60 pages on Sarlona (mostly Riedra and Adar)
    • roughly 20 pages on Argonnessen
    • roughly 20 pages on Xen'drik
    • the Frostfell entry from Player's Guide to Eberron and a similar entry for the Everice
    • a fold-out poster sized map of Khorvaire using a conic projection (or a better one), with random encounter tables on the back for each area (as in, "Breland Mountains", "Talenta Plains", etc.). Make sure the EL's make sense and jive with the general difficulty of the region. Khorvaire will mostly be EL 1-7, Khorvaire wilderness and Xen'drik might be more like 7-17, Sarlona might be around 10-20, and Argonnessen might be 21-30. Also put tables for monthly rainfall and temperature (low/avg/high) for each area for each month).
    • a fold-out poster-sized world map combining all the continent maps from the 3.5 ECS, Secrets of Xen'drik, Secrets of Sarlona, Player's Guide to Eberron (the Frostfell map), and Dragons of Eberron, with an Eckert IV projection. On the back, put the random encounter tables for Sarlona, Xen'drik, Argonnessen, Frostfell/Everice, and the oceans, along with weather conditions for each area
    • Two single-page polar projection maps of the Frostfell and Everice, respectively
    • NO stat blocks other than name, alignment, race, class, religion, loyalty, and then a few short paragraphs of background text (that goes for the rules sections too - no iconics!).

• No timeline advancement or major changes to the 3.5 lore - combine and reprint the currently published timelines without embellishments
  • A calendar for 998 YK, showing the phases of the moons and planes, possibly with eclipses and occultations noted
  • A good index
  • Mostly cheap black and white illustration used sparingly, except for the maps and four full color full page pictures
  • Hire the guy from the "epic campaign maps" thread that made the satellite-photo-looking maps, to do the maps. At any rate, make sure the artist understands map projections. I have an equirectangular Frostfell map if it helps any.

Basically I want nice big maps with real projections applied, a handful of rules for the races and classes, and tons of fluff glossing over the whole planet.

And if possible, give it the look-and-feel of the 1987 FR Gray Box.
I want more crazy, over the top, you-are-in-a-fantasy-action-film stuff. Incorporating the airship drops from Xendrik Expeditions would be a really good step in the right direction.
I mainly just want them to make sure they don't ruin the feel of Eberron. It is my favorite current setting and in the top 3 of my all time favorites. One of the reasons it the over the top/pulp/high adventure feel it has.
I like the idea of both the PHB and DMG, but the quality and content better be worth shelling out $40+ for both.
what i personally want from a New Eberron Campaign Setting Book:
  • Better Maps with a Standardized Scale...
  • Chapter Markers
  • Airship Layouts and more designs for them... bigger and smaller
  • An Artificer Class that doesn't maker you as a Munchkin from day one for playing
  • Unique Racial Trees for Races that change drastically from Normal D&D to Eberron... Elves in Eberron don't strike me as tree hungers as they do in normal D&D... and Half-orcs aren't wild and crazy... i can go on...
  • a little more about the world OUTSIDE of the 5 nations...
  • unique class features/racial features for Different cultures (Valenar elves are different from Breland Elves, Humans from Khorvaire are much diffrent from Humans from both Argonnessen and Sarlona...

What he said.

EK
I have to confess, while I think lots of the suggestions here are great (especially the idea of separate PHBs and DMGs for Eberron), I really love the maps in the Eberron books -- they're one of the features that jumped out at me when I was browsing RPG stuff before I knew what Eberron even was. Maps that look like overhead satellite images pull me out of the time period and setting -- maps in Eberron would made from the ground level, and drawn by hand, not photographed from space. Projections might be okay, but only to a degree; nothing more advanced than your typical medieval map.

I do understand the scaling thing between maps, but Wizards did put out that super-high resolution cohesive map of Khovaire, along with lightning rail lines and distance markers between stops. I took it to a Kinko's and had it printed in its native size on high-quality, durable paper and though it wasn't cheap (~$40), the result is a beautiful, crease-free 32"x20" map that feels like an artifact from Eberron itself. I did it over the Christmas holiday, or I might have tried doing it through my college's print shop for cheaper -- didn't think of that until I got back. Other groups might try that too, especially if they know people who work in college libraries (one GM I know who did that got a bunch of city maps printed and laminated basically for free).

And I'm totally behind a unified world map, but I'd like to see it as a PDF with varying levels of information -- PCs generally shouldn't know where the majority of cities on Argonessen are, for example, but a variety of PDFs (or, even cooler, Photoshop files with layers) would cover the groups that decide to start as 1st level barbarians on Argonessen, etc.
I am at odds with these posts. The fact is I own a wonderful ECS, and it has a lot of info for a base Eberron game, so i will say cut out the adventure at the end of it.

Eberron 4ed should be wrote to support the new ed. The frist design move is time line advance they should sneak it back in. The core dragonmarked should never be changed. The religions should not be altered. Nations should have new different fluff. Continents need expanded chapters. I hope races get a lot of info. If they include a Eberron race as PHB2 core, then I hope they add a lesser known race such as Eneko, or half-giant or other psionic race that does not make PHB2. I will for certain find the book having wasted space if it has the full race write up for Gnomes.

Airships, include new designs, and ideas for elemental based creations.

The Artificer don't dumb it down. If it borders the line of "Munchkin" so fricking what. If the class does not border the line then it is a NPC class. ( I hate reading messages on these boards that talk about a game only designers have seen as being broken!)

Why should any one buy a book that virtually no new information? A Retcon will suck! A time line advance is most logical!
Well since the Forgotten Realms are getting a DM book and a player book I don't see why Eberron can't get the same treatment. It would let us have a book with the artificer and different racial feats and the general crunch needed, and we can have a DM guide giving us all the fluff.
Sign In to post comments