Ecologies of Eberron

190 posts / 0 new
Last post
I saw someone attempt this, but didn't really like most of their ideas, so I'm going to start my own. This will be completely fluff, maybe a little bit of crunch anyone is more then welcome to help I figured we could start with the MM. I want to do this in an order, but you guys are more then welcome to help out.
While I realize you mentioned you didn't like other ecologies done, I did find one that I liked, and thought I might provide a link. Nagas in Eberron. At the very least, it might provide inspiration.
I'll check that out as soon as I can. I was actually reffering to another poster who attempted to do this. They originally started with the Libris Mortis book, I just didn't like some of the things they did. I'm not sure who it was. I plan on giving a paragraph on each of the monsters that HAVEN'T been detailed in the books (giants, most humanoids, etc.).
Allip: The Allip is an uncommon undead that found accross Eberron, with most of these creatures seeming to be common in Khorvaire and Sarlona. The creatures only seem to have one thing in common, that they have died of maddness or suicide. Many, but not all, Allips in Khorvaire have been connected with the mad cults of the Dragon Below, or to the prisons of Khorvaire. An adventurer who claims to have been captured while exploring Riedra claims that in the "Rehabilitation Camp" where he was held had many of these creatures roaming the lower levels. The Inspired lords when asked had nothing to say about the alagations, other then, "If such defiled creations where to exist it would be abhorrent for a Riedran not to attempt to remove the being."

Ankheg: Commonly found across Eberron, Ankhegs are found on ever continent except Frostfell. In Khorvaire they are found within the Talenta Plains where they are considered a scourge by the halflings. The Talenta Ankheg is renowned as a dangerous beast, but more often then not it scavenges its food from the larger predators that roams the plains. It is netorious for killing and devouring live stock, which the halflings herd. Most of the time the halflings will move camp when Ankhegs appear as they are extremely dangerous even to their dinosaur mounts. They will take careful measure to ensure that the Ankhegs do not follow by killing and leaving several carcasses on the trail.
A desert more variety lives in the Wasting Plains and Menechtarun desert of Xen'drik. It lives in this inhospitipal climate, only coming above ground during heavy rains or at night. The creature is known as the Nightstalker Ankheg because of its viscousness and its dark black coloring. The creature is normally no larger then the Talenta Ankheg, but is known to group up to 14 feet in length. Also the creature has a more predatory nature then the scavenging cousin of Khorvaire.
The largest and rarest variety is found on the continent of Argonessen and is refered to as the Chromatic Ankheg, and inhabits the plains east of the Great Barrier mountian chain. They measure up to 30 feet long and feast on anything they are able to capture. The Chromatic Ankheg gets its name from the "chameleonesque" scales which are vibrant and change color as they move. Only 1 of these creatures has ever been captured and its remains can be seen in the Morgrave University.
It is unknown about the Sarlonan Ankheg, but an Inspired Lord visiting Morgrave has commented on a similar, yet much smaller, creature to the Chromatic Ankheg used by a race known as the Dromites as gaurds animals.

Aranea: (collaberated w/ Rechan) Once, the Demon Wastes was a vibrant forest of the likes of the Eldeen. However, the fell magic of the fiends had sapped the land of its very life to fuel their evil powers, turning the land into a blighted desert. The magic that used also left interesting side effects on the things that had survived. The Aranea are one such case.
After the power of the fiends fell over a few monstrous spiders as the vibrant forests of the Wastes dried up, and the creatures fled beneath the surface into Khyber to find food, the magic of the demons mixed with the natural mutative nature of the Dragon Below. It bred in generation after generation a touch of magic, that continued until the spiders reached sentience. Once they had become self-aware, they looked around Khyber, and longed for teh world above. And so they eventually emerged in the Eldeen, and continued to live.
But their magic was still there, and over time, they experimented with it, changing themselves slowly, breeding and breeding as the unique gifts developed, and over time, the once-vermin manifested the power of mimicry, changing their shape.
Claims have been made that the Aranea not only inhabbit the forests of the Eldeen Reaches, but other realms as well. It seems that the taint of the fiends was once great and powerful. In Khorvaire they are also believed to inhabbit Q'barra, some islands in Lhazaar, the Shadow Marches, and Droaam.
Aranea have also been spotted in other realms as well, ranging from Sarlona to Xen'drik. Many of those from Sarlona have long been tossed to the 4 winds by the Inspired, and now inhabbit the jungles of Argonessen and Xen'drik. The Aranea are rare, and almost each coven or group of such beings seems to be different, and many have strange powers, unlike others races. It is unkown if this is because of their demonic taint or if it is from years of evolving in some of the most hostile lands.

Assassin Vine: The Assassin Vine, or Giant Strangler is common only in the jungles of Xen'drik. Several different varieties exist, and a rare version is said to exist within the King's Forest of Breland.
This strange plant as been observed and documented, the largest and strangest version is known as the Giant Strangler is of immense size and is coated in a contact poison. The plant its poison to incapacitate victims to strangle them.
The King's Assassin found on Khorvaire is very similar in all repects to the common Assassin Vine of Xen'drik. The only difference between the two is the King's Assassin is actually a flowering plant, with beautiful flowers. These flowers actually "bloom" when touched, but react violently after the blooming. They release a sweet scent into the air when blooming and the vines directly after lunge forward choking the victim.

Athach: These creatures are very similar in mind and attitude as the Hill Giants of Xen'drik and southern Khorvaire. Beyond this the similarities stop. The Athach is rarely seen in Xen'drik, and even more so in Khorvaire. It is unknown to the origins of this species, but these hulking brutes are believed to be some attempt long ago by a Daelkyr to tranform the giants. A journel by an adventurer was recovered some 10 years ago detailing a massive battle between several hill giants and a pair of Athatch in the jungles of Xen'drik. The adventurer noted that the giants who had quite obviously seen her party ignored them and instead battled the two much larger and powerful Athach. The note detailed that during the battle the Hill Gaints would rant on calling the Athach "Tainted Ones" in the giant tongue.
Lord Ashborn, an exiled fire gaint, gave an audience with a man who discovered the journel and told him, that the Athach were mostly unknown to the giants until some 3000 years ago, when they began to appear from deep beneath the earth. But Ashborn also said those could be just the ramblings of superstitous minds at work, because the legend seems to come from the Hill Giants.
Good job!

Don't have my book with me (And for some reason the SRD doesn't have Carrion Crawlers!?) but I'd like to see Carrion Crawlers and Cloakers done. It would be interesting if either of these were not created by the Daelkyr, as every aberration seems to have been.
don't worry I will try and change some of the stuff up. Remember not all aberrations where created by the Daelkyr (aboleth's for instance). Now I will say most of them will be, but the carrion crawler doesn't seem like the aberration to have been created by the Daelkyr.
Basilisk: Commonly found in Droaam and within the Blade Desert, the Basilisk is a native creature to Khorvaire and Xen'drik, and even at one time Sarlona.
The Khorvaire Basilisks, is the most common variety but stories of large ones growing to 12 feet in length and weighing more then 2000 lbs are known. There seem to be three variety that inhabbit the lands. The largest of the Khorvaire breeds, the Scimitar Basilisk, is found in the Blade Desert. These creatures are seen as walking nightmare, and even the Gnoll usually take great steps to avoid such creatures.
Another common variety is the Khyber Basilisk, which seems to be the originating species. It is seen throughout the realm of Khyber, but only seen above ground in Droaam. In Droaam they are frequented as gaurd animals and usually fitted with special helmets that cover their face, so that normal beings have nothing to fear. These Basilisk are not much different from the Scimitar Basilisk but do not seem to grow to the large size that the Scimitar Basilisk does.
The most unusual of the Basilisk is the amphibous basilisk found in the Shadow Marches. This is the rarest of the breeds and only one has ever been captured. The creature appears like a normal basilisk except for several strange changes. This Basilisk is one of the smallest varieties of Basilisk, and its body is more streamlined then the other varieties. It lives only in deep swamps and never comes on to land, except to lay eggs. Its 6 legs have actually formed into flippers and its head is more crocodilian. Its tail and even formed a powerful flipper at the end which it uses to help propel itself through the water.
Xen'drik too has Basilisk. The most common is the Khyber Basilisk that is also found on Khorvaire, but another variety, the Menechtarun Basilisk (Abyssal Greater Basilisk). This creature is only found in the eastern portion of the Menechtuarun desert, between the Sun Pillars and Fangs of Argarak. They are the most powerful variety and most dangerous of all basilisk, and in someways seen as the most removed variety. The creature has more developed jaws and measures 12-15 feet in length. It also seems likely that the creature is more intelligent then other Basilisk. This creature has never been captured and no remains have ever been brought forth, but the person who detailed the experience and took notes on the beast is quite renowned in the area and is considered to be aburptly honest on his observations.

Behir: Not much is known about these rare and majestic creatures. They are very similar to dragons, both in mannerisms and physical appearance. Even like dragons, Behir's grow when they age, and come in many different colors, but their are also many differences between the Behir and Dragons. The Behir are an isolatated species that inhabbits a four corners of Eberron. They tend to shy away from other races and prefer to live in the wilds, where they live simple lives. Until recently it was presumed that the Behir was unintelligent, no more smatter then a lion or Tyrannosaurus.
Supposedly an unknown adventurer though has spread the rumor that he was taken in by an ancient Behir deep in the Demon Wastes. He said that the Behir helped him escape the clutches of a pack of savage barbarians. This Behir told him that all Behir are the bastard children of Eberron and Syberis's blood. That during ancient wars the Dragons fought the fiends, and the Behir only protected Eberron. The Behir cared not for either side of the conflict until the Rajahs turned on them. Once this happened the Behir fought alongside the Dragons, but because of their delay to the fight the Dragon's ostrasized them. This explains why stories of Dragons and Behirs battling in titanic clashes have been persistant throughout the years. Within the last year as well, a Behir Druid actually helped a group of adventurers escape the jungles of Xen'drik while being attacked. It seems that the Behir, of Khorvaire and Xen'drik atleast, have a more outgoing and friendly nature then originally presumed.
Many Behir now, to avoid conflict with the dragons, and some say to seek revenge, have actually delved into the depths of Khyber where they carve out an existance. Unlike the Behir above ground, these Behir are more violent and chaotic, probably due to the inhospitable realm in which they live. It is said that these Behir are rarely seen, but much more common then those that live above ground. It is unknown why they never surface but their really is no difference between the two, and so they are pressumed to be the same species.

Blink Dog: (Posted by Rechan) Blink dogs are native to the Talenta plains and the Blade desert. The Talenta leave the blink dogs alone for the most part, however they consider the ability to sneak up on a blink dog and touch it before it can disappear to be a milestone in a scout's capabilities. The Valenar, on the other hand, consider killing blink dogs a great honor to kill one (usually requiring one to two swift blows otherwise the dog will disappear) to be a statement of being with one of the great ancestors, one of fast, precise death, and to wear the pelt of a blink dog is a grand status symbol.
However, House Vandalis reportedly owns one Blink Dog kennel, as they make great hunting dogs (able to teleport around prey, truelly confusing most wild species), as well as when bred with normal dogs, manage to retain the hatred of displacer beasts.
Interestingly, there is a species that is believed to be a cousin of the blink dog, found in Frostfell. They do not retain the ability to "blink" or teleport, but instead have an innate "Blur" (as per the spell), which helps them blend better with the snowstorms that rage across the continent.
(mine) Another species of Blink Dog, native to Sarlona, has been fully domesticated since the rise of Riedra. Unlike common Blink Dogs of Khorvaire these hounds are psionic in nature, and used as gaurd animals. They also seem to be slightly larger (5-7 HD) then the more common Khorvaire breed.
Also in the western reaches of Khorvair the Vvarrak's Hound, a large and powerful breed, is considered sacred by the Orcs that follow the druidic traditions. It is considered a great dishonor among them to hunt down a Blink Dog and kill it. Legend persist among these tribes that Vvarraak created them to help in their battles against the Daelkyr.
don't worry I will try and change some of the stuff up. Remember not all aberrations where created by the Daelkyr (aboleth's for instance). Now I will say most of them will be, but the carrion crawler doesn't seem like the aberration to have been created by the Daelkyr.

The only thing I can think of for the Daelkyr to create them would be for efficiency as opposed to art. During the war with the Goblinoids, the Daelkyr likely had a lot of dead bodies. And, since you can't do anything after the body's dead, they created carrion crawlers as basically a garbage disposal. But that's very unsatisfying.
any other comments you guys, any suggestions what do you'll think?

The Behir got chopped off of your post, or were you going to fill that in next?
Yes I'm going to finish it tomarrow. I'm gonna try and post atleast 2-3 monster or more a day. Hopefully I'll get more feedback from everyone. I'm not planning on doing many outsiders or elementals, I'll be stickin to Eberron only, although I will place some native outsiders. I'll finish up the MMs and then move on from there.
I'm not planning on doing many outsiders or elementals, I'll be stickin to Eberron only, although I will place some native outsiders. I'll finish up the MMs and then move on from there.

I like what you have here very much. Thinking ecologies through is vital...

In general, I agree with you about the presence of outsiders, though I think a few work well in Eberron. I recently wrote up the Vargouille for Mournland. The MM says that they derive from Carceri; I decided that the creature was a byproduct of the Day of Mourning and instead of bat-wings, I decided that the victim's ears mutated into fleshy wings, thus enabling flight. I also decided that when the Vargouille detaches from the body of the infected victim, the spinal column goes with it. From a distance, the creatures look like bats with wings. This particular creature makes sense as one of the dread horrors of Mournland since they create more of their kind like a curse. I don't mean to jump the gun, but I thought I'd share since sometimes the ecological shifts means adjusting the physiological aspects of the creature as well.

Finally sat down to read these - I like them a lot! My favorite part is the "variant" version. Here's some I thought of (skipped a few to let someone more creative get/some didn't fit (Belker, anyone?)). Wish I had my 2e MM at my apartment - for all the great that is the 3e MM, they sure skimped on the ecology of the monsters.

Blink Dog. Blink dogs are native to the Talenta plains and the Blade desert. The Talenta leave the blink dogs alone for the most part, however they consider the ability to sneak up on a blink dog and touch it before it can disappear to be a milestone in a scout's capabilities. The Valenar, on the other hand, consider killing blink dogs a great honor to kill one (usually requiring one to two swift blows otherwise the dog will disappear) to be a statement of being with one of the great ancestors, one of fast, precise death, and to wear the pelt of a blink dog is a grand status symbol.

However, House Vandalis reportedly owns one Blink Dog kennel, as they make great hunting dogs (able to teleport around prey, truelly confusing most wild species), as well as when bred with normal dogs, manage to retain the hatred of displacer beasts.

Interestingly, there is a species that is believed to be a cousin of the blink dog, found in Frostfell. They do not retain the ability to "blink" or teleport, but instead have an innate "Blur" (as per the spell), which helps them blend better with the snowstorms that rage across the continent.

Chimera. Chimera are an old species, harkening back to the time before Dragons had gained their full sentience. Chimera were the result of near-feral dragons who, finding no draconic mate when breeding season came, took to interbreeding with animals. The chimera itself resulted from animal interbreeding in mountain regions rich with Eberron dragonshards. Once the dragons gained their full mental state, they saw the bastardized creature that was the Chimera, and learned the lesson of being more selective with their breeding. Dragons are greatly embarassed by the existance of the species, and consider any mention of them to be akin to bringing up an imbred, mentally-challenged relative. They consider it a great insult, to say the least.

Almost all Chimera can be found on Argonessen and Frostfell (with more in Frostfell, as White dragons were the biggest culprit of Chimera creation, since they were the last to reach full sentience). Every time a continent has become civilized over most of it's population, Dragons run a campaign of genocide to eradicate the species from the continent in order to hide their dirty secret from mortals - but the legends of the magical beast has remained in myths with the Dhakanni, Lizardfolk, Giants, and humans of Sarlona, but all that remain are fossils. Still, the Chimera will remain on Argonessen as a constant reminder.

Cockatrice. The Cockatrice originated in Xen'Drik - the first mage and his apprentices to propagate the Transmute Flesh to Rock spell created the birds as an experiment, and considered them fine pets and guardians. Somehow, the birds managed to escape into the wilds of the jungles, and due to their innate defense mechanism, have managed to carve out a small niche within that dangerous region, lasting long after the fall of the Giants.

Then, on an expedition, adventurers stumbled across the creatures and - after losing half their team, then returning with mages to revive them - reported the discovery, and House Vandalis showed great interest in them. Bringing some specimens over, the House began breeding them, not just as guardians, but also for their eggs, considered a delicacy (if a bit grainy, as the breeders joke). The House has also sold quite a few to Droaam, where the birds have ended up as pets for Medusas, and basilisks are considered to find them quite delicious.
I sure do like these.. keep it up!
Thanks you guys I appreciate the praise (helps stroke my ego), I like the Blink Dog one and the Cockatrice one as well. I'm not really a big fan of the Chimera (not your background, just the Chimera always seemed cheesy to me), I'll probably use some of your infor and expand on it if you don't mind Rechan. The Blink Dog was the best one, props on that. I like the Frostfell hound, thought of any nicknames for it. I would say let it keep the blink ability, but also give it blur, and make the blink ability only useable every so often. This would be the creatures attempt at way of breeding out the blink ability as blinking into a pile of snow or ice wouldn't be very "cool".
May I throw a note down on the Cockatrice, that they seem to actually be conected to Khyber and the Medusa somehow (a creature connected to the Daelkyr, but I link them and other monsters of this sort more to Khyber for the most part). Read up on the Droaam and Daask for more information, and to better help. I had to rewrite the Basilisk one when I remembered there was info mentioning them in the ECS.

PS: Don't take offense to anything I say, like I said I'm pretty picky on the ecologies. Some of them I like, but most seem like cop outs, you did a good job overall though, and I'm gonna refrense yours for the Blink Dog. The Chimera I may rework though.
Bulette: The massive predator known as the Bulette seems to have been here as long as any other creature can remember. Many ancient documents and collection have been seen describing "Land Sharks" if you will. There are many varieties, and it seems that ever land, other then the Frostfell and Argonnessen, have large populations of them. Little is known about the Bullete's origins, but much has been learned of their mind set. Buletes are nomadic animals for the most part, and only bulls have been known to hold any territory. Wherever food can be found in great abundance a male will stay and feed until it can no longer sustain itself. Females on the other hand constantly wander throughout their lives, only stopping to eat and mate. On Khorvaire Bullettes can be encounter with great frequency within the King's Forest of Breland, and southern Karnnath near the borders of old Cyre.
The largest Bulete on Khorvaire ever killed has its head actually stuffed and mantled in the throne room of King Boranel. The creature was so large that Boranel, that upon returning with the beast Boranel had to behead it, as its body would've taken up a large portion of court. King Boranel has claimed that he killed the beast with one mighty blow from his bow, but it is highly doubted.
The Karnnathi Bullete is somewhat different from others. It is said that the necromantic magic used to create their zombie and skeleton soldiers tainted the Bullette that have been known to feed on them.

Carrion Crawler: As Khyber is lord of fiends and aberrations it is know wonder that it has spawned these creatures. It is unknown if they are native to Eberron, or some half attempt by the Daelkyr. It is presumed though that the Carrion Crawler is the spawn of Khyber itself and has been roaming the depths of Khyber for thousands of years. The first note of the Carrion Crawlers was discovered in a document in Xen'drik where a giant had the misfortune of losing his slaves. The giant noted that he found a large worm-like creature in the depths of a cavern where he had left his elf slaves. The giant was shocked to find that all his slaves had been devoured or partially devoured by several of the creatures. He killed one of them and scared the others. He took the creature with him when he reported the situation, it seems he wanted to be compinsated by the rulers for his loss. Later the giant was hanged for treason it appears. Throughout history these creatures have existed in large numbers, there are numerous varieties that seem to exist.
The most famous type, the Spinetingler Carrion Crawler, which is covered in large spines, several inches in length, that are effective in detering attackers. Not only that but the spines carry the same paralyzing toxin, and they can launch them up to 60 feet away with amazing accurracy.

Chimera: A beast out of place, this creature has been documented since the dawn of time. As the Daelkyr created many aberrations, the Chimera to is a created race, but not by the Daelkyr. During the great war between the dragons and Rajahs, the Chimera came into being. This beast was said to have been created by a mad Rajah in an attempt to mock the dragons. The creature is considered a horrible beast by dragons, and usually killed outright. Extremely rare these creatures are only found within very remote locations. Infact not a single one has been killed in over 100 years. The creatures inhabbit every continent in Eberron, but it seems that they are most common in the Frostfell and Sarlona.
Dragons commonly dispose of the creatures in Argonessen where they seem to be extremely rare. It is also said that in some ancient fortress of the fiends deep within Khyber a pride of massive Chimera gaurd the gates and only let those who bear "The Mark" pass. Although rare the Chimera is found in Khorvaire with some frequency west of the Eldeen Reaches, but other then that it is rarely seen, and even then usually but a solitary creature.

Chuul: From the realm of Madness these creatures came. Unlike others from that realm the Chuul where not created by the Daelkyr lords. They however where minions to the Daelkyr and served in the war against the Orcs and Dhakaani. Today the Chuul seem to show no signs of allegience and seem to care little for the Lords of Madness. Instead they live a wild and chaotic exitence roaming the seas south of Khorvaire. They are found mainly near Shargon's Teeth, where some have attempted to live among the Sauhgin as gods. They have moved into the swamps and rivers of southern Khorvaire, as well as those of northern Xen'drik. Aerenal has had its encounters with these beasts as well. It seems that they are expanding to new seas and lands every year, claiming more and more territory. For the most part though they can still only be found with any frequency in the previously stated regions.
I like your version of the Chimera too! And the CC is pretty good.
Hey! I just found all the 2e Monster Manual entries online! They contain all the ecology/habitat stuff from the book. It gives you more to at least get inspiration from.

... Man, looking at the old rules, it's amazing how far we've come.
Kewl that will help out alot, but remember 2nd Ed is dead for a reason. The ecology will help out though all the same. Man the art work in some cases has really really improved.
I noticed you missed a few things, like the Allip. Which frankly sounds like an undead the Daelkyr would use (or is a byproduct).
No some of the descriptions I feel are ok the way they are. Allip are caused by suicide and those pushed to madness. Although a follower of the Dragon Below cult who took his own life may rise up as an Allip I wouldn't see the Daelkyr having anymore of a connection then the BoV. Now that isn't to say I'm not going to connect cetain undead..But I will place the Allip in there with previous message.
Cloaker: The Cloaker is a rare and ellusive creature, and an engimatic one at that. Little is known of them, but several myths exist. Among the Church of the Soveriegn Host it is claimed that Cloakers where created from the flayed skin of the Mockery. Some have said that the Cloakers where the creation of the Daelkyr, and that they were not considered a failed creation. Still others suggest that the cloaker was born of Khyber, much like the fiends, but it did not have the same ill intent as the Rajahs and there for did not take an active hand in the wars of the Dragons and Fiends. The greatest authority on Cloakers, an elf who studied at Arcanix has pointed out that their is a subspecies of Cloaker, known as the Shadowcloak Elder. He says that the power and abilities of this Cloaker overlord has tied them completely to being the spawn of Khyber and the realm of darkness. He further suggest that within the Plane of Shadows and deep within Khyber that their seems to be some sort of society formed by these creatures.

Cockatrice: The cockatrice is a creature that was once nothing more then a common bird. Their origin seems to date back thousands of years. The first record of any cockatrice seems to have the creatures being bred by the Medusa. The record states that the giants discovered a conclave of Medusa held up deep beneath the earth where they had been using them as pets. Today three varieties are known to exist.
The most powerful Cockatrice, known as the Giant Cockatrice inhabits the realm of Xen'drik. These large birds are the size of full grown men, and it seems that they where actually bred by the giants, using magic to increase their growth. They where reportedly used in the great war that the giants fought as shock troops. To wade in and turn their enemies to stone. Unlike many Cockatrice this bird seems to be very colorful and vibrant, as far as the males go. It has beautiful gold, silver, and copper colored feathers, and its tail is also covered in the same scintilating feathers.
The other two varieties are more closely related. The first is the most common and is found in Droamm and deep within the earth. This Cockatrice is commonly reffered to as the Keeper's Bird. The name comes from a myth that those turned to stone by the Cockatrice cannot let their spirit flee to Dolurrh, and it is forever trapped within the stone statues.
The other is found in the plains of Sarlona, it is quite common and said to have been brought their years ago by Lhazaar herself. The Inspired take great pains in trying to remove the creatures, but have come to the conclusion that it is next to impossible. Commonly the rebels of Adar capture the birds and will release them into Riedran garrisons.
So no comments you guys can put in input, what do you think of what's been posted today. I put in the Allip, Bulette, Cloaker, Chuul, etc. If there are any monsters you have already included in your game and put in alot of work let me know. Post it on here, I don't feel like carrying the complete burden of this by myself. Peace out.
Darkmantle: This strange creature is only beneath the earth in the realm of Khyber. The Darkmantle is usually found in the upper reaches of this realm and it is not uncommon to find them hunting near openings during the night. Their have been several different varieities found, but all the creatures seem to have similar characteristics.
The strangest of the breeds is known as the Nautilis Darkmantle, which actually hides within a specialized shell. The creature's shell takes on the shape and formation of stactites where it hangs from the ceilings looking for prey. The creature also has a special defense mechanism for when things go bad. The creature will spray a black vapour into the air, which is highly acidic, and usually causes temporary blindness.

Delver: Only one of these creatures has ever been documented, and even those records cannot be confirmed. The Delver as it has been dubbed is a massive creature that burrows beneath the earth. The documents on these behemoths claim that they where once a natural creature of Eberron, probably some sort of burrowing slug. But when the Daelkyr where sealed beneath the earth they discovered these gentle giant slugs and transformed them into some sort of alien beast. It also claims that even today the creatures are usually transient and passive, only fighting to defend themselves, but their burrowing ability can be quite dangerous seeing as they could move upwards within the earth and accedently collapse buildings and creating sink holes.

Derro: The Derro seem to have once been dwarves, but over the centuries have been changed and mutated into a small and psychotic race. They are only found deep beneath the surface in the the realm of Noludrun(?), where it is believed they are a faction of the lost clan of dwarves. The Derro (whose name means "Mad Blood"), seem to live in small groups, cults that worship madness and dispair. Some have been known to be cannibals, and it is quite common for them to sacrifice outsiders that have been caught within their realm. The Derro constantly hide in the shadows of Duergar estates, and attempt to corrupt and defile the Duergar. However claims persist that the Derro are building a city to their god, one filled with twisting tunnels and unspeakable horrors. Further claims exists that the Derro of Noldrun are not the only Derro to exists. That their are others that did not make the journy when the dwarves came to Khorvaire.

Destrachan: It is unknown what spawned these beast, or infact if they came with the Daelkyr, but the Destrachan was once used as a living close range artillery against the Dhakaani. Today these beast roam the darkness and are usually solitary creatures, but it is believed that many of them are still held in the shattered armies of the Daelkyr. Destrachan are dangerous and powerful creatures, and many varieties exist.
One was captured in the Demon Wastes by a Silver Flame Templar. The creature seemed to have been twisted by the delving land scape there, and this has led to the belief that maybe Destrachans true origins are bound to those of Khyber itself, and not just the Daelkyr. But either way, two things are commonly known about Destrachan, one they are inherrently evil, and two that they are inherrently dangerous.

Digester: The Digester is a strange creature only native to the darkest jungles of Xen'drik. Little has ever been discovered about the creatures, as they has very effective offensive capabilities. It is known that they never live in groups with more then 6 creatures, and usually only the largest ones are really solitary creatures.

Displacer Beast: The Displacer Beast is one of the most majestic creatures known. The creature inhabbited many of they hillside regions of Khorvaire, roaming in small pride where their numbers are greatest. In many places the creature has been hunted to extinction, and has been pushed into close by wooded areas. They are highly intelligent for animals, and in some of the more wild areas it is commonly rumored that they are man eaters. In Khorvaire two varieties exist, and one is believe to be linked to the massive "Pack Lord" breed of Xen'drik. Pack Lords have been known to sprout up within the realm of Khorvaire but it is extremely rare.
The most common is seen throughout Khorvaire in the hill country, but another breed exist in the mountainous regions, usually near forests. This breed is commonly called the Drhaaran a goblin word for "Mountain Shadow". They are slightly larger then the more common Displacer Beast, but not nearly the size of the Pack Lord. They are also solitary hunters, and rarely in groups larger then 2 or 3.
Rumors persist of another breed native to Khorvaire that inhabits the canyons of the Demon Waste. They say the creature is as large as the Drhaaran, but has a coat of crimson fur, striped with black, and that it has strange magical abilities that other Displacer Beasts do not have (Half-fiend Displacer Beasts).
The rare and elusive Pack Lord of Xen'drik. Common Displacer Beast inhabit the realm of Xen'drik to, and it is commonly believed that they are to thank for these creatures, but no proof has confirmed this. The Pack Lord is the largest variety of Displacer Beast in all of Eberron, measuring over 20 feet long. It is usually a solitary hunter, but commonly mates with the more common Displacer Beast. In prides where Pack Lords are found, only females are found, other then the Pack Lord himself. It is unknown why this bred only has males that differ from the rest, but it is known that these males are some of the most powerful creatures in the Jungles of Xen'drik.

Dragon Turtle: A sailor's worst nightmare, the Dragon Turtle inhabbits all the seas of Khorvaire, but preffers the more temperate waters. They are seen as one of the most dangerous beings in the sea, but it is not unknown for them to try and remove dangerous predators within their territory. It is unkown why, but Dragon Turtles and True Dragons seem to dislike each other, they will never fight to the death, but stories among the Seren barbarians tell of titanic battles at sea between the two. The Dragon Turtles are also considered pirates by nature, who will stop ships and demand tribute for passing through their realm. The creatures are also said to be quite found of pearls, and have been known to excort ships out of their territory in exchange for several pearls.

Dragonne: This nocturnal predator stalks many lands. In Khorvaire they inhabbit eastern hill country and the Blade Desert. They have even been known to roam the plains of Talenta from time to time. They seem to avoid contact with humanoids, and preffer to live far from civiliztion. They are however extremely territorial and in the Blade Desert constant conflicts between the Valenar and the Dragonne have occured. More often then not the creature hunt livestock if available and this has led to bounties on the creatures within the Five Nations. In the plains the Halflings usually avoid any territory known to have been staked out by the beast. In the west many orc tribes have sought protection by living in the realm of a Dragonne. They quite often leave offering of food and never taking more then what they need from their realms.
Another breed seems to inhabbit the jungles and swamps of Khorvaire and Aerenal. This Dragonne, commonly reffered to as the "Dragirre", is less lion-like and more tigger-like. Its scales are coppery and have "stripes" of black scales that line its body.
Another breed of Dragonne inhabbits the vast deserts of Sarlona and are considered one of the greatest threats by the Inspired. It also seems to be a great honor among the Riedran lords to have slayed and killed such a beasts. The rocky foothills of Riedra and Adar are said to be home to the largest and most dangerous Dragonne, an Adar monk once said, "A Khorvaire Dragonne is a house cat compared to the beasts that I have seen."
Dryad: (by Rechan) The Dryad is said to be the physical manifestation of the soul of a forest, brought to life by a touch of Thelandis. Old Seelie love ballads tell of a great druid who fell in love with an awakened tree. One day, a powerful, elusive fey witnessed the love expressed between the tree and the druid that it blessed the union of the two, marrying their souls. Since then, many forests are blessed with a single Dryad, that while is tied to one tree, is the presonification of the entire forest. If her tree dies, the soul of the forest too withers, plunging the forest into a place where anything could come in.
Forests that contain a dryad that have also been tainted by the warping magic of the Daelkyr, are too close to the prisons of the Rajahs, or are sites of great atrocities, where much blood has sank into the roots of trees has spawned dark dryads. These fey are reflections of the pollution that has corrupted the forest itself, and they are fickle, unforgiving beings who have been known to use their influence over the forest to cause travelers to lose their way, not find food, and ultimately starve, as well as bring great wrath itself down onto the heads of those that would dare defile the forests they reside in, resulting in the untimely ends of many loggers and miners.
An interesting phenomena has also been noticed by House Cannith. If a Livewood tree has a dryad bound to it, and that tree is then used as the wooden component of warforged, the Dryad is bound to the 'forged. This connection with the soul of the forge forces a powerful bond between the pair, as the Dryad sees the 'forged as her tree, and the 'forged sees the Dryad as a facet to his own soul.

Duergar: The Duergar, as they are known, are found deep beneath the Mror Holds. This group of Dwarves are sullen and mean spirited and claim to be the lost clan, Noldrun. Over the years they have been corrupted by the taint of the Daelkyr, gaining strange psionic powers. Unlike the Derro who are also members of this lost clan the Duergar detest the Daelkyr who ruined them. They seek vengence and have no wish to return to the surface. Very few Duergar have even seen the surface, and even fewwer still have returned to it permanently. They are born and live in a world of madness and war, and give little about anything other then their vendette against the Lords of Madness. The Duergar regard the Derro as traitors and the other dwarves as simplitons who ignore the danger beneath them.
It is claimed that other Duergar dwell within Khyber. These are groups that made the journey from the Frostfell but where detered or lost. They developed independently of the known Duergar and have widely different cultures.

Eagle, Giant: These splendid and intelligent avains inhabbit many regions of Eberron. Most well known is the Silver Giant Eagle that roams the temperate and warm mountains of eatern Khorvaire. These large birds of prey are admired for their grace and beauty. They are some of the largest giant eagles seen in Eberron. They get their name from their silvery feathers that decorate the inner wing. It is believed that when hunting for prey they actually blind them with sunlight from the feathers.
In the most remote lake and river country, as well as colder coastal regions, of Khorvaire their is the grandoius Skyfisher Giant Eagle. This grand bird has lightly blue feathers, trimmed in white. The most striking feature is the stark white feathers that cover it head and neck, and run down its back in a straigt line. It seems that these birds are actually native to the coastal regions of the Frostfell, as many of them move their in the summer to roost. This has led to many of the birds spreading across Eberron and the Skyfisher can be seen the northern coastal regions of Sarlona. But it does not seem to be quite as common as it is here in Khorvaire.
Aerenal's Giant Eagle is one of the oddest looking of the Giant Eagles. It roams the island nation of Aerenal. The bird is pitch black in color, and commonly known as the Death Eagle, as it has white feathers on its head that sometimes form the shape of a skull. The bird is rare and elusive and has little to do with humanoids. It is rumored that the bird is a man eater, and this is why the elves do not allow unaccompanied men to their nation.

Ethereal Filcher: It is said that the Daelkyr are the devourers of worlds, and that their conquest has not only led them to the realm of Eberron, but others as well. The Ethereal Filcher seems to be the twisted and augmented remains of such a conquest. When the Daelkyr came and waged their war in Khorvaire thousands of years ago, the Ethereal Filcher came with them. It is unknown where exactly the Ethereal Filcher came from, but many speculate on this. Today however today the Ethereal Filcher is no more a minion of the Daelkyr then a common citizen of Sharn. It seems these simple minded creatures, really have very little intrest in the plots of the Daelkyr and they roam freely doing as they wish. However many are still said to be under the lure and control of their darksides. These rumors point out that larger, more powerful, varieties of Ethereal Filchers exist, many inhabbiting the realm of Khyber itself.

Ettercap: This abomination seems to be the creation of the Daelkyr. They are found in many of the southern forests of Khorvaire, as well as roaming strange fungal forests of Khyber. These creatures are ambush predators who are very skilled in their tactics. They usually live in small groups which have the ability to work well with each other.
It is also believed that they are the creation of the giants, or their enemy during a great war. This is explained by the fact that they are also quite common within the jungles of Xen'drik. The ones that inhabbit this forbidden land though have been known to grow to greater sizes, some as large as hill giants. But this is rare, and these claims have also been made about the Khorvaire Ettercap.
Both theories on the origin of this creature could be true though. Perhaps the giants created the original creature which would most likely be larger and more powerful. When the Daelkyr came they discovered the race and used their magic to expand on it, giving it spider like features and making it smaller so that it would be better suited for their war against the Dhakaani. After all, giant ambush predators cannot move into position against well prepared foes.

Ettin: The Giants of Xen'drik were masters of magic, much like the dragons. The Ettin is believed to have been an experiment of theirs, one that may have been considered blasphemy even by the giants. The Ettin is only found in the land of Xen'drik, and even there it is rare and elusive. They two seem to know their shame and live lives of solitude with little or no contact with intelligent beings. Ettins usually react violently to such encounters and there has never been a report to suggest otherwise.
Some information suggest that the Ettin is not actually native to Xen'drik though. A scholar, Marixus Eboran of Aundair, claims to have seen Ettins inhabbiting the realm of Argonessen. He suggest that the giants are actually the creation of the dragons. That they where once normal giants, but the dragons warped them with their ancient magic. It seems unlikely, but he further claims that these Ettin are more social creatures then the one on Xen'drik. That he saw one who appeared to be a chieftain making an offering at a large cave opening, which he suspects was home to one of Argonessen's wyrms.
Ok so I need help with a few creatures on here, I've got 2 people hopefully who will help out with the board (better to have 2 or more heads working on this project as I don't want this to be just my VISION of Eberron). I noticed people constantly reading this (and you all know who you are) but don't post. So anyways, I'm gonna go paint some minis and what not, I'll post some more either l8er or tommarrow. Peace.
Frost Worm: The titanic beast known as the Frost Worm roams the lands of the Frostfell. Most of the information on such creatures is unknown, and few have even heard of it. They seem to be migratory, following the herds of Dire Rhinos and Wolly Mammoths that dwell in that region. It is also believed that a semi-aquatic Frost Worm dwells in the lands of Everice to the south. For now the Frost Worm is mostly considered a creature of legend and myth.

Gargoyle: The Gargoyle is a creature that dates back to godless times. The church of the Soveriegn Host believe that the first gargoyles was created by the Shadow. The Cults of the Dragon Below and the Church of the Silver Flame claim that the first gargoyles were created by fiendish souls trapped within Khyber shards who gave live to the very earth they where trapped in. Either way the Gargoyle has managed to make its way across Eberron, mostly inhabbiting realms where they may hide.
Most gargoyles are of the common variety, but there does seem to be some division among the species. The largest live in the mountains of Adar, usually inhabbiting ruined temples and lost monastaries, these gargoyles possess a strange abilities not like other gargoyles (large pherenic gargoyle).
Another more foul and violent breed seems to dwell within the most tainted of areas, the Mournelands and the Demon Wastes. These creatures have a more beastial appearance and strange powers (Fiendish Gargoyles). They are similar to large and powerful Gargoyles that dwell in the deepest regions of Khyber, but not quite as powerful (Large Half-fiend Gargoyles).

Ghouls & Ghasts Ghouls have existed since the rise of the humans. These creatures are believed to be the risen dead of cannibal humans. Many Blood of Vol cults seem to give rise to Ghouls, and many of their clerics usually become Ghast. Ghast are normally only found in Khorvaire, but it seems they have also been found among other continents as well. They are said to be priest who have partaken in blood rites and cannibalistic rituals. It is unknown if these myths are true but many people believe so. An aqautic ghouls, known as Lacedons, are found on deserted islands or ships where the crew turned to cannibalism to feed. When the offenders of this great sin die they usually become ghouls, but only the most foulest of beings ever truelly turn into a ghast.

Gibbering Mouther: The Gibbering Mouther is said to be the creation of the Daelkyr. Little is known or understood of these maddened creature, but what is known is they are completely and utterly dangerous. They constantly mumble incoherrently when stalking prey, and seem to have a simple intelligence. They are rarely seen above ground, and usually this is only near openings in the earth. Tales persist of large Gibbering Mouthers that are worshipped in the Shadow Marches as living testiments to the will of Khyber.

Girallon: The Girallon is a savage and violent beast found in the jungles of Xen'drik and Q'barra. Several have been captured and are on display in traveling carnivals. The most famous features the rare "Silverfang" a powerful girallon that stands some 20 feet tall. Unlike many Girallons this one seems to be peaceful and a special Vadalis house member is constantly kept on hand to appease the beast. Little is known about their social structure or habbits. They are known as dangerous predators, and have a distinct hatred of the giants, who it seems they see as compotition. The largest Garillon's are known to inhabbit mountainous terrain, and all of them seem to live in small groups, with no more then 10 members (including children).

Gnolls & Flinds: The Gnolls have been scattered across Khorvaire, long before man set foot upon its shores. During the days of the ancient Dhakaani empire the goblinoid legions advanced in all directions. They conquered lands with unseen fury and for the most part were unhindered in most of their goals. In the east, in the Blade Desert and the lands just north and south of there, they discovered a savage race of beings, Gnolls. The goblinoids at first where weary of these savages as they where tougher then orcs, and possessed an unnatural savagry. The Dhakaani lore states that they first thought the Gnolls where some sort of demon that took the form of a hybrid hyena. The gnolls mostly kept to the darkness, hunting and fighting on their terms, and as such this increased the Dhakaani's fears of the creatures. But like all things the Dhakaani simply pushed on, as the empire waits for no goblin. For years the Gnolls pillaged and raided the goblinoid encampements mostly unhindered. Once the Dhakaani overcame their fears the Gnolls quickly fell into disarray. Had it not been for the Tairnadal the gnolls might have actually been wiped out by the Dhakaani who grew annoyed by their antics. Rather then kill and enslave them, the Dhakaani made a deal with the multitude of tribes. They told the Gnolls that if they fought with the Dhakaani and helped them in their battles they would be rewarded with riches and freedom. The failing Gnoll tribes gladly excepted and they helped battle the Tainadal, striking at them for the Dhakaani when the had the truce with Valenar. Then the Tairnadal left, and the Dhakaani made a deal with more tribes, sending them to the west to help deal with the orcs that they had been fighting for centuries by now. The Gnolls once again, wishing to gain their wealth and glory turned to the west, scattering themselves across southern Khorvaire.
The Gnolls prospered and regained their numbers, many were lost, but the strong and powerful grew in the next generations. The Gnolls had no empire of their own, no one leader, but they where a force to be recognized. Their numbers had grown and they where fearless, these gnolls became known as Flind. The Flind are the prime of Gnoll heritage, they where the top of the pecking order. The Gnolls of today did not exist back in those days, for they came later in life, and only now is the Flind returning to its people.
Then the Daelkyr came, the beings who smashed the empire to pieces, and scattered their foes to the wind. The Daelkyr desimated the Gnolls in their attacks. Many Gnolls fled and hid in the wake of madness that wrought the lands of Khorvaire. It is said the last Dhakaani emporer cursed the Gnolls to be what they are today. Cowardly, decieving, and unloyal; only a Flind may command the Gnolls with any true ability and trust. Unfortunately, or more likely fortunately, the Flinds are rare, and few Gnolls contain enough of their previous ancestry to sire a Flind. That is not to say Flind no longer exist, but to say they are rare. It is even known that a Flind is more likely to sire another, but not likely enough to even make it a 1 in 4 chance.
This is a great thread! Keep it up!

on the Aranea, the Five Nations book puts a sizable population in aundair. Can't think of anything as to their genesis but i've been borrowing heavily on the tales of Anansi. Perhaps the Aranea have great love of stories, are brilliant tricksters and devoted to the traveler.

just puttin it out there
Thanks Sir Pudding. I've got the book 5 Nations so I'll check that out. If you have any other input you want to put in email me as well. I've been thinking of getting a group of posters together and start emailing each other their ideas on the monster and some different breeds, and then I'll post the finished product in the mornings. With the everyone recieving props at the end of each post of course.
I really want this to be a group project because no one person, or gaming group has the true vision of Eberron. We all see different things and stuff we like about the setting, for instance I like the mystery, but the action is 10 times better.
This is very, very well done. The entries are well written, and the variants are very interesting. I'll see if there is anything I can come up with, in the meanwhile I'm going to try and put stats down for some of the alternant types based of the SRD entries, if you’ll let me.

Drake
Go right ahead, email me what you can come up with

[email=twelvedrunkenmonkeyz@hotmail.com]twelvedrunkenmonkeyz[/email]
Or I could just post the link :D

Giant Strangler

Drake
pimp tight and out of sight Good job, every time you do one go ahead and post the link dude. I'm checking the post right now and have to say, good job. I expect more to come of this, and may edit previous posts to include new and unusual subspecies as well. If you have any questions about some of the stuff I've put let me know. I'm actually proud if this post is getting good reviews so far, lots of views, and is now spawning a subpost. Once again anyone willing to help, feel free.
Aranea: Once, the Demon Wastes was a vibrant forest of the likes of the Eldeen. However, the fell magic of the fiends had sapped the land of its very life to fuel their evil powers, turning the land into a blighted desert. The magic that used also left interesting side effects on the things that had survived. The Aranea are one such case.

After the power of the fiends fell over a few monstrous spiders as the vibrant forests of the Wastes dried up, and the creatures fled beneath the surface into Khyber to find food, the magic of the demons mixed with the natural mutative nature of the Dragon Below. It bred in generation after generation a touch of magic, that continued until the spiders reached sentience. Once they had become self-aware, they looked around Khyber, and longed for teh world above. And so they eventually emerged in the Eldeen, and continued to live.

But their magic was still there, and over time, they experimented with it, changing themselves slowly, breeding and breeding as the unique gifts developed, and over time, the once-vermin manifested the power of mimicry, changing their shape.

Dryad: The Dryad is said to be the physical manifestation of the soul of a forest, brought to life by a touch of Thelandis. Old Seelie love ballads tell of a great druid who fell in love with an awakened tree. One day, a powerful, elusive fey witnessed the love expressed between the tree and the druid that it blessed the union of the two, marrying their souls. Since then, many forests are blessed with a single Dryad, that while is tied to one tree, is the presonification of the entire forest. If her tree dies, the soul of the forest too withers, plunging the forest into a place where anything could come in.

Forests that contain a dryad that have also been tainted by the warping magic of the Daelkyr, are too close to the prisons of the Rajahs, or are sites of great atrocities, where much blood has sank into the roots of trees has spawned dark dryads. These fey are reflections of the pollution that has corrupted the forest itself, and they are fickle, unforgiving beings who have been known to use their influence over the forest to cause travelers to lose their way, not find food, and ultimately starve, as well as bring great wrath itself down onto the heads of those that would dare defile the forests they reside in, resulting in the untimely ends of many loggers and miners.

An interesting phenomena has also been noticed by House Cannith. If a Livewood tree has a dryad bound to it, and that tree is then used as the wooden component of warforged, the Dryad is bound to the 'forged. This connection with the soul of the forge forces a powerful bond between the pair, as the Dryad sees the 'forged as her tree, and the 'forged sees the Dryad as a facet to his own soul.
Good job Rechan I'll copy and post them on the front (I'm freak for order). I like those, especially the Half-fiend Dryad. Another reason I'm glad to have help on this, is it give us the ability to have fresh and new ideas. I read over some of the ones I've done it and its like I'm just repeating myself. If I have one more creature spawned for Khyber I'm going to become a member of the Cult of the Dragon Below.
Right now I'm gonna give props and thanxs to you Rechan with your help on this thread, and Flame Drake for his help with the creation of the subposts, Ecologies Adaptation. Later on I may redo the thread when it is finished, putting it in complete order, with links to the Ecologies Adaptation. You guys kick tons of ***, thanx.
Gorgon: The Gorgon is a rare and powerful beast. Its special abilities and wild nature have led the creature to do as it wishes. No true Gorgons are known to exist on Khorvaire, but they do inhabbit the plains of Sarlona, and deep within the realm of Khyber.
A strange creature very similar to the Gorgon, and usually called a False Gorgon or Mountain Gorgon, inhabits the mountainous of Khorvaire and Xen'drik. This Gorgon is not quite as powerful as the ones native to Sarlona, they are smaller in size, no larger then a man, and it seems that their petrification is only temporary (of course if something happens while you are petrified that is a different story). It usually last no more then several minutes, before it turns back.
Another type of Gorgon inhabbits the Frostfell, commonly it is reffered to as the Icetomb gorgon. This Gorgon does not petrify its victims, but inteads freezes them in a layer of ice. It is also netoriously larger then the true Gorgon. Reaching lengths of up to 20 feet or more. These creatures though seem to be exceedingly rare, and one has yet to be brought back alive, or even in one piece for that matter.

Gray Render: This powerful creatures seem to date back to ancient times when the giants ruled the lands. It is unknown if the myth is true, but the Gray Renderer as we known it, actually comes from Khorvaire. It seems that long ago before the rise of the Orc nations, that a colony of giants attempted to enslave them, as they did the elves. One of the Orc tribes is said to have given itself to free the others. Usings some primitive ritual they managed to transform into powerful beasts that would protect their bretheren and fight the giant defilers. It seems that their maybe some trueth to this as orcs and Gray Renders rarely fight, and the largest and most powerful of these beast live in western Khorvaire.
It seems that they once had great numbers, but several thousand years ago their species fell in decline. It is believed that these behemoth beast actually fought against the Daelkyr and suffered a horrible fate. The few Gray Renders that live on today inhabbit the Shadow Marches and western Droaam. Some claim that a massive Gray Render of untold preportions inhabbits the forestes of the western Eldeen Reaches. The locals call this Gray Render, Kzagaagar or Thorn. He is said to have been seriously injured by a rakashasa while defending a druid, and the Great Pine actually saved him with a ritual giving him a plant-like appearance. Many people claim to have seen Thorn, or his kin, but no evidence of such a creature truely exists.

Grick: These miscreant creatures are a horror to behold. They where obvisouly created by the Daelkyr, and there seems to be three species of Grick. The two most common are the Khyber Grick, and the Darguun Grick. Both species seem to be related, but the Hobgoblins over the years have learned to stunt their growth and turn them against their masters.
The common Grick is usually found towards the surface of Khyber where it stalks prey and can grow to large proportions, where as the Darguun Grick (commonly reffered to as the Ha'ashkul) is actually smaller but just as dangerous. The Ha'ashkul never grows more then 8 feet in length and has many of the powers of the common Grick. The difference is the Ha'ashkuul has the ability to sense other aberrations and seems to preffer the flesh of aberrations to other creatures. Also they have an uncanny ability to bypass their natural resistance to weapons and attacks, not to mention they have another ability that the Daelkyr minions find horrible. The Ha'ashkul have the ability to regenerate damage quickly, which is only overcomed by acid and fire. Another capability it has is that it can grab and hold onto opponents fairly well and rend their flesh.
The third variety seems to be one of the latest creations of the Daelkyr. The creature has never been encountered, but tales among the drow of Xen'drik speak of these Grick. They have yet to be named, but the Drow claim that this Grick is larger then most, and it mingles and breeds with common Grick to hide itself. It grows to massive lengths, up to 15 feet, and what makes it so dangerous are its innate abilities. The creature has psionic abilities, and not only that but it seems to prefer spell casters of any sort to normal prey. In light of this the creature has been dubbed the Spellbane Grick. Even some giants have claimed to encounter it and even they preffer to flee once it is known.

Griffon: Griffons are a flighty breed of creature that roams the skies of Eberron. They can be seen on every continent, and only a handful of species exist.
The smallest, and one of the oddest Griffons, known as Pygmy Griffons, are no larger then a man. These strange Griffons are known for their beautiful grey and black hides and feathers, and inhabbit the jungles of Xen'drik. They are pack hunters, much like lions and unlike many griffons are not solitary hunters. These griffons are exotic and many have been trapped by House Vadalis in an attempt to breed them as arial gaurd dogs if you will.
Another Griffon, called the Seren Griffon, seems to be a draconic in nature. It has vibrant scale-like feathers and draconic legs. They inhabbit Argonessen, but get their name from their roosting ground the Seren Island. These are also some of the largest Griffons to date, and one unique ability is their violent shriek which can shatter stone. Other then when roosting they have completely solitary lives, and are even territorial during this period, which happens during the fall every year.
In the Fangs of Argarak mountains of Xen'drik a semi-intelligent species of Griffon lives. It is believed that some angelic power has transformed these once majestic creatures. They are known for their beautiful white coats and sky blue feathers. These griffons are said to be noble creatures, and it is claimed that they have helped more then one explorer in need.

Grimlock: Grimlock are a widely spread race, in Khyber. It is said that they are almost as numerous as humans. The Grimlock are savage though and no true society of them exists. Lore dating back to the Giants actually speaks of the Grimlocks. From the statements made the Grimlocks can actually trace their lineage back to the days when fiends ruled the world. It is believed that the Grimlocks where once a surface race, powerful and strong, but fled into the darkness from the cataclysmic war that took place on the surface. They have lived in this state for thousands of years, and developed into a completely different species. Many Grimlocks worship the Dragon Below or the Dark Six. They are a war-like race, and completely nomadic.
Those that worship the Dragon Below are some of the most organized and powerful tribes. The tribes are renowned hunters, and it is considered a great success to kill your foe and feast on his flesh. Unlike many races the Grimlocks share no family bonds or fealty towards one another, only the strong rule. They grow up in a violent and deadly society, where once you can walk you are to fend for yourself, which usually means you are last to eat. It is claimed that ancient ruins once built by the Grimlock exist, but few have ever delved this deep into Khyber just to see.
Good job Rechan I'll copy and post them on the front (I'm freak for order). I like those, especially the Half-fiend Dryad. Another reason I'm glad to have help on this, is it give us the ability to have fresh and new ideas. I read over some of the ones I've done it and its like I'm just repeating myself. If I have one more creature spawned for Khyber I'm going to become a member of the Cult of the Dragon Below.

Haw. Well, pretty much when it comes to creatures, you have only a few options:

1) The Daelkyr created it.
2) The Rajahs created it.
3) The Giants created it.
4) The Dragons created it.
5) Khyber created it.
6) Humanoids created it.
7) The Quori created it.
8) The Mournlands created it.
9) It's a natural occuring creature*.

*natural meaning developed without outward influence, but it may have been influenced by say, a Manifest zone.
Yes Rechan I know this, but it makes me feel limited in my capabilities to be like, oh blah blah blah, Khyber spawned, blah blah blah blah, Khyber spawned, blah, blah, Vol, blah, All hail, blah, blah Vol, blah blah.
You know what I mean. It really helps when I read your stuff to. I was stumped with the Chimera and then I read yours, and it got me to thinking. Same with the Giant Cockatrice of Xen'drik. I read yours and started thinking. Well seeing as it already claims that the Cockatrice are creations of the Daelkyr (that is common knowledge, I would believe, those in the know, know better), why not have the giant tinker with one. So know we have the Giant Cockatrice of Xen'drik. The ones I find difficult are the humanoids. For instance with the Gnolls and Flinds, what is there history? Did they just roam around Khorvaire like lost puppy dogs, while the Dhakaani ruled the continent and where kicking arse on the elves and orcs? I mean come on, they had to be doing something?
Some of the outsiders, other then those in the MM really, I'll be posting as well. I've been putting some thought into, and many of the creatures of Carceri can actually be native outsiders. I mean heck Khyber is one big prison after all. But that's for future reference once this thread get pushed hardcore.
The ones I find difficult are the humanoids. For instance with the Gnolls and Flinds, what is there history? Did they just roam around Khorvaire like lost puppy dogs, while the Dhakaani ruled the continent and where kicking arse on the elves and orcs? I mean come on, they had to be doing something?

Not every humanoid needs a noble, powerful history. Eberron has few Barbarians (in the traditional sense). It's like the lizardfolk in Q'barra - they never had a magnificent, powerful culture that got shattered. They may have honestly been uneducated unwashed critters. Everything doesn't need to be Eberronized.
But see that's what I'm saying it doesn't even state that about the gnolls. I've noticed of all the races and what not the ones that they don't give alot of info on are Ogres and Gnolls. I mean where do they come from? did they even have tribal nations, or is their noble tradition to be mercs, working for the side they think will win (sometimes joining both sides of the battle just so they know they'll be on the winning side)? I guess this is where I may have to step up and write something completely original. I was hopin' the KB would answer but I doubt he will. This is where we need some brainstorming. Ok I did the gnolls and I like it. Plz give feed back on that one cuz I feel that is one of the best ones I've done so far.
Also I'll probably be editing some of my post to delete the messages and just post the Ecologies. peace out.
Hags: Many varieties of hags exist within Eberron, and all of them can trace their lineage back to the Nighthags of yore. These Hags still command a great deal of power and respect, and are not to be taken lightly. Many of them are renowned arcane spellcasters, and it is said that they can curse men with but a single stare. But these are just superstitions (at least I hope). The most famous hags are the Daughters of Sora Kell, the rulers (ha) of Droaam. They are the prime example of what Hags are capable of, and why one should never underestimate one.

Harpys: Harpys have long existed in Eberron. Myths date back mellinia and there true origin is lost to us. There are 2 origins that many claime and evidence points to both directions.
The first theory is that the Harpys where women gathered up from the lesser races (most likely humans, elves, hobgoblins, and orcs), these women were turned against their people by the rakashasa's, and as payment for their betrayal they where cursed. The magic that had once made them beatiful and charasmatic, was now used to turn them into hideos fiend-like beings. The evidence for this belief is found in the many fiendish and half-fiendish harpies that inhabbit the realm of the Demon Wastes and the mountains of Q'barra. This belief has mostly been upheld until recently. It is also further suggested by the Harpys fear of dragons and the land of Argonessen as well.
The other theory suggest that the Harpy is a magical creation of the giants. Created from elf slaves, of course the elves discourage this theory and consider it a vast insult. The evidence of this is a strange breed of harpy that inhabbits Xen'drik's mountainous regions. These Harpy's (Spellwarped Harpys) have strange powers.
Adventurers have claimed of Harpy conclaves that exist in the realm of Khyber, these claims suggest that they are the same common Harpy that has spread across Khorvaire and Xen'drik. Most Harpys seem to be of the normal variety but some mutations do exists.

Hippogriff: Much like the Griffon, the Hippogriff has existed for thousands of years. They originate from the lands of Sarlona, where it is said that a wizard had bred them, as they are much easier to care for then Griffons. The Hippogriff is not native to Khorvaire, but was brought here by the imigrant humans. It has successfully bred and been well kept for in Khorvaire. Different breeds exists, but none are very different from the other, with the exception of the Vidalis Hippogriff. These special bred Hippogriffs, grow to larger sizes, and are always War trained animals.

Hydra: The Hydra is a well known beast, scattered accross with the lands of Eberron. It is claimed that the first Hydra was created by a Rajah or Daelkyr who captured several young dragons, and bound them into one body. Many different varieties exist, inhabbiting Khorvaire, Frostfell, Xen'drik, and even Argonessen.
Most scholars in the know doubt that the Daelkyr created the creature, but one species seems to show that they had their hand in its creation. This subspecies only exist in Khyber, and the theory persist because of its appearance and strange abilities. Its heads are nothing more then squid-like maws, a mass of tentacles centered around razor sharp parrot-like beaks (Half-illithid Hydra). It possesses an immunity to most weapons (DR 5/byeshk), and has similar powers to that of a Mind Flayer. They are commonly called Hydrallithids or Hyrdraliths. Few samples, or cadavars have been brought back of the creature for study, so little is really known of the beast.
Another stunning variety of the creature can be found on Argonessen. These large and powerful hydras, grow to large proportions, and seem to be infused with draconic blood or magic (Advanced Draconic or Half-dragon Hydra). These beast are feared, only the most powerful dragons even attempt at challenging these creatures, and even then the battles can go either way. The Hydragon as it has been dubbed is known for its multi-colored hide of chromatic and metalic scales.

Kraken: The Lords of the Deep are an ancient race, who has been on Eberron since the rise of Dragons and Fiends. The Krakens are one of the most legendary beasts of Eberron, for thousands of years they tormented and plundered the seas. They are a widely diverse species with numerous rumored subspecies and rare speciemens.
Two different legends persist on the creation of these beasts, both of which are viable. The first school of thought is more commonly excepted in Khorvaire. That in the days of yore, when the gods where creating the races, in the Sea of Rage, the Fury blessed massive squids with the gift of sentience. He told them to strike out and take from those that lived upon the surface if they dared to tresspass in their realm. This explains the creatures highwayman-like mentallity, and their hording nature.
The other myth is more darker and it is widely believed even though little evidence is their to back it up. The myth states that an ancient race that lived deep beneath the water's surface known only as Aboleths, created the Krakens. The legends claim that the Krakens where originally used to gaurd their lairs and treasures, and over the years, the magical energies that the Aboleths used changed the Kraken into an intelligent species. Few scholars know the true origins of this creator race, and no bodies of it have ever been recovered. This legend seems to come from ancient Dwarven legends, and can be found in the reciting of their journey to Khorvaire.

Krenshar: Wild and dangerous, the Krenshar inhabbits many forests and jungles of Eberron. These strange creatures are said to have been created by wild magics that changed local creatures into their present state. The Krenshar inhabbits every continent of Eberron, and many varieties exists. From the common Krenshar to the Deathfang of Aerenal, these creatures are widely respected by local beings.
The most commonly seen Krenshar inhabbits the forests of Khorvaire, Xen'drik, and Argonessen. Several subspecies exists among them, but the differences are merely size and appearance.
The magic of the deathless that infuses the realm of Aerenal has long warped these Krenshar into almost completely different beast. Rumors suggest that the first deathless helped this breed along its way to deter vistors from making their own stops on their shores. The Deathfang (Half-vampire Krenshar) is considered one of the most dangerous Krenshar species, as it has strange powers. It is unknown, but the Aerenal claim the deathless created it as a mockery of vampires, claiming that such undead are nothing more then savage animals.
The Snowcoat Krenshar of Frostfell seems to be one of the largest varieties of Krenshar found. These creatures are known for their massive daggersized fangs and beautiful ivory coats. The only speciemen of this Krenshar ever caught is stuffed and can be seen in Fairhaven at the Wayfinder Foundation.
The most intelligent of Krenshar by far is the Sarlonan Krenshar. This desert cat is renowned at is hunting tactics and its ability to bring down powerful game. It doesn't help matters that the creature has poisonous claws with which it strikes with to bring down its game, and a number of other strange abilities as well. The Sarlonan Krenshar is commonly known as the Kl'rieonn, or Dune Cat, and several of these beast have been given to the king of Q'barra as a gift from the Riedran lords. The most striking feature of this cat is its large manes that are on the males.
Sign In to post comments