NPC: The Black Dragon

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, I never did do up a full thing for my superhero, Sharn's defender, The Black Dragon. So, here he is. Statblock, gear, backstory, flavor, the whole nine yards, ready to drop into any Sharn game.

The stars are shining overhead through the patchy clouds. One of the few nights of the year when it isn't raining in Sharn, but the night is still early yet, give it time. A man takes a can of garbage to the front of his home, constantly looking up and down the street. Its not a good idea to be out alone at night in the lower regions of Sharn, but he would only be out for a few moments, then he'd be back inside with the door barred shut. A glance across the street shows the two roughnecks still standing nonchalantly in front of that door, although the illusion is rather spoiled by the fact they've been standing there for over an hour now. Neighborhood is getting worse, some bigshot lowlife must be in there, but it doesn't matter. Just keep your head down, and hope it doesn't get lopped off.

Turning to go back inside before that half-orc and the dwarf notice him looking at them, the man pauses as a wind kicks up. Ignore it, go inside. As he reaches for the door however, he is plunged into darkness for just a moment as a shadow passes overhead. Looking up, he sees nothing but Zarantyr shining fully in the sky. Except for, there! A shadow just passed in front of Olarune, momentarily block it's rusty orange crescent from view! He should go inside, where it's safe, but curiosity has him now. He follows the path of... whatever it is as the stars wink out and then back on in it's passing, until it flies directly in front of Barrakas, the lantern moon. A pair of great wings, the moonlight shining through the thin flaps of skin between the wing ribs. A long body that tapers to a point at the end, and... a pair of curved horns at the head, a dragon! Its not very big, but its getting closer!

The man hides behind his garbage cans, but pokes his head up enough to see whats going on, thinks better of it, then slaps an old issue of the Chronicle on his head to try and hide it, but keeps watching. The dragon circles overhead, but the guards aren't paying attention to the skies, just the streets. They don't notice it! The man watches as the shape swoops down several blocks away. Its hard to see, but he swears the tail split in two as the wings wrapped around the body, and next he knew, it was walking towards them as a man would.

A block away, and he can see the dragon man more clearly. The wings are wrapped around his body like a cloak, held together in the front by a single claw on each wing curled and linked together. As the wing cloak's edges billow back in the wind, glistening black scales are revealed covering it's body. Great claws where his hands should be, and a head... a head with great fanged jaws flanked by curling horns! Almost solidly black from head to toe, it just keeps striding forwards, so confident in itself that it doesn't seem to be concerned at being out of place.

There, the two thugs see him! The half-orc has a club, and the dwarf has drawn a crossbow, they're actually going to try and fight? The dragon crouches, then lunges, it's wings unfolding to carry it dozens of feet onto the top of the orc in a hearbeat. There, it lashes with it's claws, over and over! The half-orc isn't moving, and the dwarf doesn't look like he knows quite what to do. The dragon rises, and makes towards the dwarf as they finally remember the crossbow in their hands. The dwarf raises the crossbow and fires... the bolt strikes the thing right in the heart, but its still standing! As the dwarf fumbles for another bolt, it just looks down at the bolt sticking out of it's heart, then reaches up with a clawed hand, and rips the bloody thing from its chest, and snaps it like a twig! There, the dwarf has some brains after all, he's running for it! A blur strikes him in the back of the head and darts back towards the dragon, who turns to the door as the dwarf falls the ground. He's not moving either...

The dragon thing is looking at the lock on the door. Suddenly, it spits a glob of green liquid onto the lock, which begins smoking and then melts away. The man behind the garbage cans has had enough, this thing could come after him next, after all! As he inches backwards, he trips and falls over another can behind him, instantly drawing the gaze of that black thing straight to him. The man panics, he scrambles backwards as fast as he can towards the door, grobes for the handle, and is then inside as the door bolt is thrown into place. Its all the man can do to lay against the wall and pray to whichever god is listening that that thing will just go away, that he isn't worth the trouble... He stays there until sunrise before going back out. The bodies of the two thugs are gone, several of the windows of the building across the street are broken out, and people are beginning to fill the streets with normal morning traffic.

The man knows that wasn't just any dragon he saw last night. It was *THE* dragon! The Black Dragon!

---

Its just before sunrise as the warforged servant opens the doors to the hidden balcony on the back side of the high tower in Upper Sharn. The master should be returning soon. Turning his back, the warforged walks back inside the tower as the rustling behind him announces his master's arrival.

"Were you successful?" he askes without turning.
"Yes Keeper, I was. The rumors were right, the Boromor were setting up another base on the east side."

The warforged, Keeper, turns with a tray and calmly walks back to his master, as if having a dark dragon landing nearby was an every day occurance to him.

"It looks like you were injured again." He lifts a rod from the tray and begins tracing patterns over it's surface as his master removes it's winged cloak and drapes it over a nearby piece of furniture.

"Yeah, a dwarf with a crossbow got a lucky shot off. The armor is the only thing that stopped it, and just barely at that..." It grasps the claw on one arm and gives a tug as it comes off, revealing human flesh underneath. Both claws sit on the table as he lifts the stylized helm from his head revealing long brown hair and pointed eartips, then slumps into a chair and starts undoing hidden buckles on the sides of his armor. The warforged has the rod glowing now, and passes it repeatedly over the bleeding hole in the half-elf's chest.

"Its deep, and you know its not going to heal properly unless you sit still for a moment. Now stop fidgiting."

"Yes, mother" the man says with a grin, but only changes to trying to kick his clawed boots off instead.

After quickly washing, the half-elf is striding down a gilded hallway as he ties his long hair back into a ponytail behind his head with a silk ribbon.

"Well, lets see whats on the schedual today..." as he pushes through a pair of heavy doors into a room of well dressed people calling out "Master Norrin, Master Norrin, a moment of your time please!"

Jadin Norrin, The Black Dragon

Race: Half-Elf
Alignment: Lawful Good
Class: Ranger (Urban variant, Unearthed Arcana), 5 levels
PrC: Vigilante (Complete Adventurer), 5 levels
CR: 12 (10 from class levels, +2 from greater than standard wealth)

AC: 20 (10 base, +6 armor, +3 Dex, +1 Shield), up to 24 (as before, +4 from paired +2 Defending spiked guantlets)
BAB: +8/+3

Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 14
*Note: Level based stat increases, 1 point to dex at lvl 4, 1 point cha at lvl 8
Saves: Fort +6, Refl +11, Will +7
Skills: Gather Info: 10 ranks (+17), Intimidate: 8 ranks (+10), Knowledge (Local-Sharn): 10 ranks (+10), Search: 7 ranks (+8), Sense Motive: 9 ranks (+10), Hide: 13 Ranks (+18), Move Silent: 13 Ranks (+18), Listen: 0 ranks (+4), Spot: 0 ranks (+4), Diplomacy: 0 ranks (+4), Climb: 0 ranks (-1)
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (Spiked Guantlet), Exotic Weapon Prof (Xen'Drik Boomerang), Two Weapon Defense
Urban Ranger Abilities: Weapon Style (TWF), Favored Enemy (Boromar Clan, Daask), Animal Companion (none)

Major Equipment:
Armor: +2 Light Fortification Shadow Scalemail of Silent Moves
Weapons: +2 Merciful Defending Spiked Guantlets (pair), +1 Merciful Distance Xen'Drik Boomerang of Seeking
Wonderous: Wings of Flying (black dragon wings), Helm of Sending (acts as a sending stone to his lair)

Normal Attack Routine: TWF with finessed spiked guantlets at +11/+6/+11

(I know the above block is kinda jumbled, but I'm just putting it together from stuff as I go, sorry about that. If somebody really wants to take the info here and sort it out into a more readable format, I'd appreciate it.)

The Black Dragon is a costumed superhero in the tradition of Batman. A caped crusader that has taken up the mantel of the fearsome black dragon as a means to strike terror into the heart of criminals. Much like Gotham, the lower levels of Sharn are rotting away from the criminal infestation that plagues it.

During the day, Khoravar named Jadin Norrin resides in the uppermost levels of Sharn, living a life of priviledge. Constantly at his side is his warforged servant/assistant, Keeper. And while it is true that he is the one who keeps Jadin's affairs in order, his also the keeper of Jadin's biggest secret. When the moons rise, Jaden Norris dons his armor, his stylized spiked guantlets, and his cloak and takes to the night as the Black Dragon, defender of Sharn.

None outside of Keeper knows of Jadin's double life, although there are some who suspect, although they cannot seem to figure out where Jadin would have gotten the equipment needed for such a transformation, and even a close inspection of his financial records for as far back as can be tracked (which go back to before his birth, actually) simply don't show that kind of expenditure. The secret is in his "assistant", Keeper. The warforged may appear mild mannered and unobtrusive, but he is actually a highly skilled artificer in his own right, and has used his abilities to personally craft the Dragon's equipment at a cost that is far below what anyone would expect possible.

On the rare occassion that a villian has discovered the Dragon's hidden lair, none expected the warforged servant to be such a formidable defender in his own right. A single moment of weakness is all that Keeper requires to infuse lethal magics into his own fists before decimating the intruder, who never expected a simple servant to be so powerful.

Despite the Dragon's constant fight for Good, many are convinced he is a creature of darkness. Partly because it is the image he has cultivated, and partly because of an unforseen happenstance. Inside of Jadin's draconic shaped helmet is a small sending stone, allowing him to communicate with Keeper at need. Those who have over heard him asking Keeper for advice or information spread tales of the Dragon worshipping The Keeper, the god of damned souls.

Even by those he would protect, he is hated and feared.
Think of it as being like Batman crossed with Spiderman's PR problems :D
WOAH! Awesome NPC Edymnion!!!

Sweet write up and statblock... :P

...I love it! :D lol
Oh, and just because I didn't get to work it in above, when he raided the building, he was bending over looking at the lock, and he splashed it with a vial of acid. The scared commoner filled in the blanks with his imagination and convinced himself that he saw the Dragon breath acid on it (which is good, because black dragons do have acid breath).
Oh, and just because I didn't get to work it in above, when he raided the building, he was bending over looking at the lock, and he splashed it with a vial of acid. The scared commoner filled in the blanks with his imagination and convinced himself that he saw the Dragon breath acid on it (which is good, because black dragons do have acid breath).

I assumed such, though it works well as a trademark...

again, excellent work...
again, excellent work...

ty
Bump for subscribage.
As per ususal nice stuff Eddy.

Methinks I might use this one on an upcoming campaign.

Shoudl make for an interesting situation.

Have the PCs raid some Boromar/Daask site only to find they got there too late, a lock burnt off. then find the BD in the process of binding up the bad-guys for the watch to find.
Woot. The Black Dragon has officially been added to my Black Book of DMing (Eberron Edition) as a major campaign NPC and possible encounter for any party out at night in the more questionable areas of Sharn.

Supreme coolness, Edy. Supreme.

EDITUS MAXIMUS: you realize, of course, that now you have to give us stats for his sidekick, Dragonhawk...
And his enemies: the Court Jester, Panther Girl (actually a naztharune rakshasa!), the Cryptic Sphinx, and the Puffin!
EDITUS MAXIMUS: you realize, of course, that now you have to give us stats for his sidekick, Dragonhawk...

Gah, I keep trying to ignore this idea, because I like him as a loner, but I keep seeing a red and green scaled sidekick.
Gah, I keep trying to ignore this idea, because I like him as a loner, but I keep seeing a red and green scaled sidekick.

You know you want to do it... :P
I remember this NPC from a few months ago.

Whatever happened to that write up I did of Ilfred, the stately Warforged Man-Servant?

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
You know you want to do it... :P

No, keeping a young boy wearing tights locked up in a dark cave is a no-no! :P
Whatever happened to that write up I did of Ilfred, the stately Warforged Man-Servant?

You sure you didn't do it in that "superheroes/villians of eberron" thread we had a while back? I remember that the first time I put the idea for the Black Dragon up it sparked off a whole thread of people doing other heroes/villians, so maybe you put your Ilfred in that one?
You sure you didn't do it in that "superheroes/villians of eberron" thread we had a while back? I remember that the first time I put the idea for the Black Dragon up it sparked off a whole thread of people doing other heroes/villians, so maybe you put your Ilfred in that one?

Yeah, that's probably it.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
Found it!

"Will you be going out again tonight, sir?" asked the Warforged in his clipped, upper-crust Aundairian accent.

"Of course, Elfrid. My city needs me." replied Duran, already slipping into the hoarse whisper he used while wearing his costume.

"Your city can do without you for one night, sir. The War is over, after all." remarked Elfrid, picking up the silver tray carrying a meticulously prepared (and untouched) dinner.

"The Terror is up to his old tricks, down in the Cogs this time. The War may be over, but the fight goes on." whispered the Black Dragon, pulling his mask down into place.

"Yes, sir."

"Besides, Elfrid, with the War over, you're a free being now. There's no reason for you to stay with me anymore."

"Certainly not at my current salary, anyway...sir."

"Very funny, Elfrid. Will you be here when I get back?" the Dragon asked as he climbed up to the Lair's exit.

"We'll see, sir."

As the Black Dragon left, black cape billowing behind him, Elfrid watched as his employer swung from tower to tower, heedless of the hundreds of feet of empty air beneath him.

"Good luck, sir," the Warforged whispered to himself, "the fight goes on."

Elfrid , Male-personality Warforged Ftr 1/Expert 5 focusing on Profession(Butler).

Fairbanks
I personally prefer my wf, Keeper, as a mid level Artificer.
I like the idea of him charging into a fight with some sort of infusion or enhancement to his Slam attack to add Shocking damage. I just like the picture of a WF in a butler's suit with electricity crackling around his fists as he slams an intruder against the wall.

And remember, Batman's Alfred was a member of Interpole at one point, and was quite the capable fighter in his own right.
Anti-Prune
An interesting read and an excellent NPC, Edy, kudos.
And remember, Batman's Alfred was a member of Interpole at one point, and was quite the capable fighter in his own right.

We can just tell everyone that my version is Pre-Crisis and yours is Post-Crisis.:D

Fairbanks
Anti-Prune

What? You don't like prunes?
nice!
well the real question is what other 'capes' can we convert?
blur-A xeph psiwarrior/elocater who dresses in red?
4 travelers- a changeling artificer named Riccards, his druid wife named zue* very fond of her ring of invisibility* her brother, jone, a sailor wo has become a fire Elemental scion and their dear friend, Ven a maug barbarian...trapped after a failed summoning spell and deeply loyal to his freinds.
Ollin- wealthy human noble- artificer and Arcane Archer, calls himself 'Blue Quiver'
Savage- an amnesiac shifter soulknife, works for the dark lanterns as a spy and assassin
Mithril palm- a dwarven monk that's taken to hiring himself out as a merc
The Ghost of The Silver Flame- Human bard, died in cyre only to find himself travelling the roads of khorvaire as a ghost. He finds himself drawn to evil and uses his talents as both a bard and a ghost to either scare the guilty into penance or to end thier plots and lives.
Night and day- husband and wife mercs- he's a Daelkyr half-blood shadowcaster and she's a dagger wielding paladin.
'Strange' Ditko- An orc wu-jen....strong ally of the Gatekeepers.lost an eye once to a mindflayer and replaced it with an artifact eye- made by his Master- Agamotto of the clan Vishanti....
What? You don't like prunes?

There is such a thing as being *TOO* regular, you know. :P
There is such a thing as being *TOO* regular, you know. :P

eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Fairbanks
This one is pretty cool. I just had a rather amusing thought about a creation of mine you commented on. But this guy seems quite cool, very nice design and setup. I'm actually starting to think more about the idea of a few superhero types in sharn for an urban campaign I'll be running this summer.
This one is pretty cool. I just had a rather amusing thought about a creation of mine you commented on. But this guy seems quite cool, very nice design and setup. I'm actually starting to think more about the idea of a few superhero types in sharn for an urban campaign I'll be running this summer.

Eberron, especially Sharn, is perfect for a street level super hero game.
I'm upping this because of my own thread that I'm introducing.

Also, I'm actually using the character in my current game.
Also, I'm actually using the character in my current game.

Really? As what? BBEG? BBGG?
Actually, as a premise for one of the PCs. The idea being that they are Batman while the other PCs get to be various other heroic archetypes (one being Alan Quartermaine's analogue).

I also added a reference to this thread in the Batman thread on the main page.
I've had a few ideas like this kicking around in my head for a while.

Avengers:
Iron man: Human Artificer with Mitheral Whirlwind Breastplate (And about 30 other types of armor)
Captain America Breland: "Magebreed" Human Fighter with Brutal Throw, Superior Unarmed Strike, and a Ranged Shield.
Scarlet Witch: Human Warlock
Vision: Psiforged Telepath
Hulk: Half-giant Crusader
Iron man: Human Artificer with Mitheral Whirlwind Breastplate (And about 30 other types of armor)

Nah, if you want Iron Man, you need:

Mithril Fullplate
- +4 Strength
- +4 Dexterity
- +4 Constitution
- Built in Ioun Stone of Adaption

Boots of Flying

Gauntlets with Wand Slots
- Wand of Scorching Ray

There you go, a suit of head to toe armor that makes you faster, stronger, tougher, that lets you fly and shoot energy beams out of your hands.
Nah, if you want Iron Man, you need:

Mithril Fullplate
- +4 Strength
- +4 Dexterity
- +4 Constitution
- Built in Ioun Stone of Adaption

Boots of Flying

Gauntlets with Wand Slots
- Wand of Scorching Ray

There you go, a suit of head to toe armor that makes you faster, stronger, tougher, that lets you fly and shoot energy beams out of your hands.

Well, yeah. I just wanted to keep the list kinda short. I'd say wand of Magic missile personally.
Y'know, I figured that he was always an (superior) unarmed fighter, using not spiked gauntlets, but the ward cestus.

And if you're going to make him a half elf, why not throw on the mark of shadow. An exorciate as well.
Y'know, I figured that he was always an (superior) unarmed fighter, using not spiked gauntlets, but the ward cestus.

Because I wanted him to have "dragon claws", as well as sticking to essentially core material.
And if you're going to make him a half elf, why not throw on the mark of shadow. An exorciate as well.

Because I personally see him as a Lyrander lord. Where do you think he gets his stealth airship, the Dragonwing from? ;)
I have to say, you did a swell job there. Here's a cookie ;)

Batman is a favorite superhero of mine. :D
I have an idea for a superhero character that can fit into Eberron. Tell me what you think.

It was a cold and dark night in Sharn. But all nights in Sharn were cold and dark. That wasn't anything to take interest in. More accurately you could say it was a night like all the others. Death always seemed closer in Sharn than it did in other places. Mostly cause death always hung out in places where you didn't want to go and believe me when I say that NOBODY wants to go to Sharn.

Least nobody sane anyway. Sure you hear about it in all the news papers or lies of the politicians. Everyone says it's a city of opportunity and excitement. While I won't argue the latter part the only opportunity you ever get here is the opportunity to get stabbed in the back by the guy closest to you. No Sharn is what Xen'drik would be if Xen'drik pretended to act under a pretense of law and order. Least there you didn't have people who COULD rescue you turn a blind eye and walk away as you rotten in a gutter.

Oh but I'm getting ahead of myself. This is where I come in. I was cruising down upper Dura, mostly looking for a place to spend a few coins and shake a man down or two.

"Hey you!" I heard rather hastily called out by a shifter I knew all too well.

I liked to call the middle aged mongrel Scruffy. Though he was more of a groomed poodle if anything. Just another guard for another nobleman who I suspected was in league with the Arrum.

"What are you doing up here so late no-face?" old Scruffy asked me as he poked me in the chest with his elongated claw.

"Just going to get a drink," I replied.

"Drink? That's all?" he asked. Obviously old Scruffy didn't trust me. Course nobody did. Hell if I wasn't myself I'd probably be my own prime suspect.

"That's all."

"Fine. But keep that head of yours up. There's been murders here lately."

"Murders?" I asked.

"Don't play stupid. If anybody know'd about them it's you."

"Yea yea... say didn't the Watch think that some of their vital organs were stolen?" I asked. My pointless question seemingly irked him.

"That's what they think. Little girl was missing a heart, wizard was missing a brain and that sailor down at the docks was-"

"Missing a pair of lungs," I interrupted.

Scruffy seemed to nod at my words and then I remarked absently.

"Say boy. I forget what kind of shifter are you again?"

"Don't say stupid things," Scruffy snorted "everyone knows I'm a wolf shifter."

"Really?" I said "cause you struck me more of a CAT!"

I said as I produced the hand crossbow and shot at old Scruffy in the shoulder. The next moment we were on the ground, scuffling and trying to overpower one another. I knew what was coming the moment I came here so there was no surprise when old Scruff made his change from an old dog to a rather mean looking tiger.

"SPEAK UP YOU DIRTY LITTLE SNAKE!" I shouted to the demon as I wrapped my hands around it's neck. Making sure that the moment it tried to so much UTTER a spell I'd choke the verbal components out of him.

"HOW DID YOU-" it gasped as I tightened my grip.

"Those rabid dogs that attacked me!? I realized they'd gotten their food contaminated with OTHER dog meat. They liked the taste of their own flesh apparently. But I didn't see any dogs around old ir'Talen's place that'd been slaughtered! So I put two and two together. Old Scruffy was your first victim wasn't he! You took what you wanted from him then fed his fat corpse to his own damn mongrels!"

I couldn't see anything past the Rakshasa's enraged face but it wasn't laughing. I knew I was on the right track here.

"Then came the girl, then came the wizard and then that old sailor! You've been killing people all over Sharn for the past few weeks now haven't you!? But why? Why do you need those body parts!? Who are you in league with!? The daelkyr!? The Church of the Silver Flame!? The Dark Lanterns!? Answer me you pathetic little-"

Now it was laughing. I held myself steady as it started spewing out words at me.

"You think I'd ally my selves with mortals?"

"I know your kind well enough. You're manipulators and schemers the lot of you! There isn't a conspiracy in this world that doesn't somehow draw back to you in some way! Now TALK! How many connections do you have!?"

Before it could answer it raised it's arms in a vague effect to cast a spell without verbal components. I ducked back and jumped away as a massive explosion engulfed the area me and the Rakshasa once stood in.

Once the fire subsided I walked in to find that my quarry had fled. Damn. I got answers but still no solid lead. Just more-

Wait a sec.

There was a piece of paper on the ground. Charred but in tacked... it must have come from the Rakshasa... that or it was planted there. I should be careful. Not telling what this could mean. Slowly I read off the items listed.

Stomach of beast man.
Heart of innocence.
Brain of mage.
Lungs of the sea.
Skin of a doppleganger.

Just... perfect.

Exclamation

N Changeling Rogue 4, Bard 1, Master Inquisitive 5

Sren Bard was born to a changeling mother and a human father. While a very normal child and good natured boy his father was a hard gambler in the city they lived in. They were in a constant state of dept due to the fact that the father would constantly lose at games of poker. Sren noticed that his father, while level headed and none-too-ambitious. Was a horrible liar who had a thousand and one tells.

Sren eventually took over his father for a game when he was forced to use the bathroom. It was here that Sren started showing his colors and revealed the fact he was a changeling. He altered his face so that he lacked any definite features, eyes, nose, mouth or such. After which Sren proved his worth and managed to win back all the money his father lost in the game.

Things took a turn for the worse in Sren's life when his house was broken into and his parents were murdered. Now some might believe his parents were killed by a random burglar... or perhaps even an arc villain who wanted them dead for some reason involving their mysterious past. The horrifying truth is... there is no truth. Or no KNOWN truth anyway. Sren's parents were killed by a person who Sren never found out and who left only one clue behind.

A symbol. A symbol that nobody recognized and nobody understood. Thus did Sren's life as a rogue and inquisitive begin.

Sren ORIGINALLY hunted down criminals and organizations to find out what the symbol his parent's murderer means. When he realized that nobody knew the changeling began to think someone or something was trying to hide something from him. Perhaps he knew too much? Perhaps the symbol meant something greater than a simple crime organization.

Sren's eyes (or head) turned to the government and the dragonmarked houses. Soon he began to investigate them and find out all he could. Eventually taking him to Sharn, the place where ALL the corruption winds up or starts. It is here that Sren started his inquisitive operation and took the name Exclamation. To represent the time in a detectives case when everything comes together and starts to make sense.

Exclamation travels throughout Sharn and constantly shakes down various people, crime lords or dragonmarked individuals to try and find a connection in the vast conspiracy he believes life has become.

Appearance: Exclamation is most noted for the fact that he has no face. Literally he appears as a human man with no eyes, nose or mouth. Much in the way he assisted his father in Poker matches. He occasionally wears a face to try and blend into a crowded area but he much proffers to wear his faceless visage when confronting with people who he thinks know more than they let on.

Personality: Exclamation is convinced that everything is connected to everything else and that everything else is out there to preform some act of evil. He is quite simple insane to the point that he would find a way to connect the Greensingers with House Cannith if you gave him enough time.

Despite this he is actually quite brilliant in his deduction and for every single apparent crazy theory going around his head there's always one that turns out to not be so crazy after all. Because of his persistent and accusing attitude he is typically an unlikeable individual but he has shown to have a more compelling and helpful side to people he is LESS sure are working against him than others.
Yay! The Question!

That's actually a remarkably good write up for the Question in Eberron and manages to properly convey all of the weird, bizarre, and surreal elements to the character that made him so enjoyable in the DCU animated version.

So, Bravo.
He's also a bit like Rorschach from the Watchmen in that he's a sort of psychopathic nut job.

Basically if PC's meet him he's going to be giving them HUGE amounts of generally useless information or crazy theories about conspiracies between two different factions. The other thing is that within those crazy theories a smart DM will typically slip in just one TINY theory that's not quite as far out there as the others and turns out "OH CRAP HE WAS RIGHT AFTER ALL!"

Remember that Exclamation is a genius. An insane and paranoid genius but a genius none-the-less.
He's also a bit like Rorschach from the Watchmen in that he's a sort of psychopathic nut job. Basically if PC's meet him he's going to be giving them HUGE amounts of generally useless information or crazy theories about conspiracies between two different factions. The other thing is that within those crazy theories a smart DM will typically slip in just one TINY theory that's not quite as far out there as the others and turns out "OH CRAP HE WAS RIGHT AFTER ALL!" Remember that Exclamation is a genius. An insane and paranoid genius but a genius none-the-less.

Fun fact, Rorschach and several other members of the Watchmen were originally supposed to be established superheroes.  Rorschache really was The Question, Nightowl was supposed to be the Blue Beetle, etc.  DC had just gotten the rights to these characters and wanted to do a comic with them, so they gave it to Alan Moore.  Moore wanted to kill some of them off, which DC expressly forbid because hey, they just spent a ton of money on these guys, no you can't kill them off right off the bat!

So, he did quick rewrites on them all to turn them into what we see today.

And yes, this is a stealth bump disguised as a *REALLY* overdue quote so that I can point someone to this thread. ;P