Dragonlance 4th Edition

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, I am honestly surprised that there isn't already someone doing a straight-up conversion of Dragonlance. Well, let me re-phrase, one that I can find, so I started one myself. It's been a while since I've written any game material, and technically, never any for 4th Edition yet, so it's probably not very well balanced, but, that's why I'm posting it here, instead of, I dunno, printing a book about it or something. I just banged this out this afternoon, so please, don't hold back criticism, but please keep it constructive.

Races
Human, Hill and Mountain Dwarf, Kagonesti Elf, and Half-Elf all match up perfectly to their respective 4th Edition equivalents.

Dark Dwarf: As Dwarf, but replace Skill Bonuses with +2 Dungeoneering and Stealth.

Gully Dwarf: As Kobold, but replace Skill Bonuses with +2 Dungeoneering and Stealth, replace Trap Sense with Cast Iron Stomach (as the Dwarf Trait), and rename the racial power Cowardice.

Qualinesti Elf: As Elf, but replace Skill Bonses with +2 Perception and Diplomacy.

Silvanesti Elf: As Elf, but replace Ability Scores with +2 Dex and Int, replace Skill Bonuses with +2 Arcana, add Silvanesti Weapon Proficiency (As Eladrin Weapon Proficiency), and Silvanesti Education (As Eladrin Education)

Sea Elves: Not Touching.

Gnome: +2 Dex and Int, Small, Low-light vision, speed 5, Gnome Education (pick a bonus trained skill that is not on your class skill list), Gnomish Will (+2 Will defense), Gnome Training (Pick 2 skills to gain a +2 bonus to. One of the skills must be Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, or Religion)

Kender: I made one, but it was similar enough to the one on the Nexus (the one by Trampas Whiteman), that I'd just go with that one. It's probably more balanced.

Draconian: I made rules, but after overlooking them, I think they're just a tangled mess. Honestly, I don't think anyone can justify anything above Bozak as a player race (and believe me, I tried...). Hell, Bozak is pushing it, but they're my favorite Draconian. This is sad, as my next favorite was Lightning, and since its analogous to Sivak, it wouldn't work either. Oh well, let someone else work it out. The only thing is that Death Throe should not really cost anything to add, as it gives no real bonus to the player, except as a revenge thing.

Half-Ogre: As Bugbear, but replace Ability Scores with +2 Str and Con, remove the +2 to Stealth, add a +1 Natural Armor bonus to AC, add Greatclub Proficiency, Duel Heritage (treated as an Ogre and a human for all intents and purposes), and change the racial power to Warrior's Surge (as the Orc power of the same name).

Irda: As the Doppelganger, but add the feature Ogre Blood (treated as an Ogre for all intents and purposes).

Minotaur: As the Minotaur, but change Skill Bonuses to +2 Athletics and Intimidate.

Design Elements: Well, I wanted to incorporate as many elements as the Eladrin as I could, but I just couldn't justify giving a Silvanesti teleportation and Trance. I tried to tone it down a bit, I probably failed. I realized that the Kobold was a good match for the Gully Dwarf since they both fulfill the sniveling minion role. Gnome I just kinda made up, I think it might be a little weak, I dunno. Everything else, I just replaced with the appropriate skill mods that seemed to fit better. Half-Ogre, I tried to keep as close to the Bugbear as possible, but since Bugbears are also good Rogues, and Half-Ogres not so much, I tried adjusting things to make them better frontline fighters. For the Irda, I didn't feel like trying to write in their minor spell-like abilities into class features, and since Change Shape was always a big thing for them, Doppelganger seems natural.
Draconians are easily modeled after Dragonborn. You could leave the breath weapon, or substitute in Death Throes and some minor ability (since an ability only used when you die isn't as useful).

Baaz - acid breath, Kapaks - poison breath, Bozaks - lightning breath, Sivaks - the doppelganger's Change Shape ability, Auraks - fire breath.
-I don't know if you know or not, but WotC has stated* that, with 4e and all of the online support and all of that stuff, they are going to be "resurrecting" a defunct setting at the rate of one per year. I think the chances of Dragonlance being one of the first is fairly high. My bet is on either Dragonlance or Greyhawk.

*Of course, as everything else, this is open to change randomly.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
Yeah, I've got versions of Kender, Draconians, Half-Ogres, Irda, and Minotaur, I just don't have time to post it right now. Sorry.
I announced a fair while ago that I was working on an unofficial conversion of the MWP products for 4e, starting with Races of Ansalon. It (and with any luck, a more basic document covering the Holy Orders, Dragonlance classes, etc etc) should be up at the Dragonlance Nexus in a week or two.

Cheers,
Cam
That's pretty cool. The only thing I do find is that wizards and clerics have less variety of spells - less everyday utility things.
While 4e seems more into combat ready and everything, the utility/rituals powers they left behind don't really make up for it as yet.

I wonder what Solinari/Lunitari/Nuitari will do to enable the 4e magic system to work.
Okay, sorry it took me so long to get back to this...Cam kinda took the wind out of my sails there, but hey, might as well type what I've already written. The races are finished in the original post.

The only other mechanic I actually had going was the idea that you have your Power Source (Arcane, Divine, Martial, etc.), and then you had your Power Provider (Focused, Primal, etc.). So, a Wizard would be a Focused Arcane class, Sorcerer a Primal Arcane class, etc. Possibly also have some for Martial, maybe like Training or something, I dunno. Either way, it makes no difference, except certain feats/abilities/powers may affect Focused or Primal. So, we'd have feats that only Clerics/Wizards and Sorcerers/Mystics could take, as well as feats only Wizards/Sorcerers and Clerics/Mystics could take.
Dragon Lance is still alive.http://www.dragonlance.com/products/
-I don't know if you know or not, but WotC has stated* that, with 4e and all of the online support and all of that stuff, they are going to be "resurrecting" a defunct setting at the rate of one per year. I think the chances of Dragonlance being one of the first is fairly high. My bet is on either Dragonlance or Greyhawk.

*Of course, as everything else, this is open to change randomly.

I am very interested in reading where you found that, as I would love to see Birthright and Greyhawk updated and made more loved. but truly I would love for them to simply roll zakhara, kara-tur, and maybe whatever happened to Maztica into the forgotten realms core...kara tur has had NO LOVE since 1ed but is still mentioned and a part of FR.
Thanks this is a great post! Thought I was going to have to figure this out.

Any other links to any other info that's been converted? I'm going to have to figure out how to convert the adventures.
I love DragonLance. It is one of my two favorate settings alongside Ravenloft. These two settings are so much more involved, character driven, story driven, realistic, and mature by far than all other setting. This is just my opinion, but I think that it is pretty fair an evaluation.

Having said that, and seeing what 4th Ed. is actually about, I most sincerely hope that DragonLance has nothing to do with 4th Ed. Not the other way around, mind you. If it means my favorate setting ends, well yes I will hate it. However I would rather it go out this way than the watered down rediculousness that 4th would require it to be.

Personally, I love what I see has happenned to FR, a setting I have detested from the start. I feel it is the first time that I might actually enjoy it, but than again, I must wait and see if they do continue with the aspects I hated and rediculous rules and what-not. It will never replace or come near DragonLance or Ravenloft, but I see it as a complete inprovement. I mean really, (rolls eyes), who would have thought Mystra was a great liar and tyrant. . .
As long as they don't force the new races onto Dragonlance, I am sure it could do well with a new edition. They MUST NOT change Dragonlance like they did Forgotten Realms to accomodate everything in 4th Edition. 4th Edition should make Dragonlance better, not change it.
There's some proposed update rules here:
http://www.dlnexus.com/fan/rules/20555.aspx

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

Hey, I am honestly surprised that there isn't already someone doing a straight-up conversion of Dragonlance. Well, let me re-phrase, one that I can find, so I started one myself. It's been a while since I've written any game material, and technically, never any for 4th Edition yet, so it's probably not very well balanced, but, that's why I'm posting it here, instead of, I dunno, printing a book about it or something. I just banged this out this afternoon, so please, don't hold back criticism, but please keep it constructive.

Races
Human, Hill and Mountain Dwarf, Kagonesti Elf, and Half-Elf all match up perfectly to their respective 4th Edition equivalents.

Dark Dwarf: As Dwarf, but replace Skill Bonuses with +2 Dungeoneering and Stealth.

Gully Dwarf: As Kobold, but replace Skill Bonuses with +2 Dungeoneering and Stealth, replace Trap Sense with Cast Iron Stomach (as the Dwarf Trait), and rename the racial power Cowardice.

Qualinesti Elf: As Elf, but replace Skill Bonses with +2 Perception and Diplomacy.

Silvanesti Elf: As Elf, but replace Ability Scores with +2 Dex and Int, replace Skill Bonuses with +2 Arcana, add Silvanesti Weapon Proficiency (As Eladrin Weapon Proficiency), and Silvanesti Education (As Eladrin Education)

Sea Elves: Not Touching.

Gnome: +2 Dex and Int, Small, Low-light vision, speed 5, Gnome Education (pick a bonus trained skill that is not on your class skill list), Gnomish Will (+2 Will defense), Gnome Training (Pick 2 skills to gain a +2 bonus to. One of the skills must be Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, or Religion)

Kender: I made one, but it was similar enough to the one on the Nexus (the one by Trampas Whiteman), that I'd just go with that one. It's probably more balanced.

Draconian: I made rules, but after overlooking them, I think they're just a tangled mess. Honestly, I don't think anyone can justify anything above Bozak as a player race (and believe me, I tried...). Hell, Bozak is pushing it, but they're my favorite Draconian. This is sad, as my next favorite was Lightning, and since its analogous to Sivak, it wouldn't work either. Oh well, let someone else work it out. The only thing is that Death Throe should not really cost anything to add, as it gives no real bonus to the player, except as a revenge thing.

Half-Ogre: As Bugbear, but replace Ability Scores with +2 Str and Con, remove the +2 to Stealth, add a +1 Natural Armor bonus to AC, add Greatclub Proficiency, Duel Heritage (treated as an Ogre and a human for all intents and purposes), and change the racial power to Warrior's Surge (as the Orc power of the same name).

Irda: As the Doppelganger, but add the feature Ogre Blood (treated as an Ogre for all intents and purposes).

Minotaur: As the Minotaur, but change Skill Bonuses to +2 Athletics and Intimidate.

Design Elements: Well, I wanted to incorporate as many elements as the Eladrin as I could, but I just couldn't justify giving a Silvanesti teleportation and Trance. I tried to tone it down a bit, I probably failed. I realized that the Kobold was a good match for the Gully Dwarf since they both fulfill the sniveling minion role. Gnome I just kinda made up, I think it might be a little weak, I dunno. Everything else, I just replaced with the appropriate skill mods that seemed to fit better. Half-Ogre, I tried to keep as close to the Bugbear as possible, but since Bugbears are also good Rogues, and Half-Ogres not so much, I tried adjusting things to make them better frontline fighters. For the Irda, I didn't feel like trying to write in their minor spell-like abilities into class features, and since Change Shape was always a big thing for them, Doppelganger seems natural.

Any news on this topic?
Back when Wizards was accepting submissions acouple months ago I sent an idea for a 4e Dragonlance Campagin Setting, and got back a reply that we might be seeing a Dragonlance Camaign Setting for D&D Next. But Wizards have no plans on releasing it for 4e. So I hope this information gives some hope of the setting's future.
That is great news!
You Learn Something New Every Day!