Thoughts on the Dragonlance movie now that it's out

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, went out and bought Dragons of Autumn Twilight last night and watched. Let's just say it's... interesting.

The first 1/3 of the movie really kind of drags along (part of it is the montage describing the previous dragon wars and the cataclysm, which being known is like ok-get it over and let's get the movie going). The nice thing is that the movie is only 90 minutes, so it's not insanely long, but still, I kept waiting for them to get chased out of the Inn. Once they're on their way, it moves along fairly well.

The animation is.. well.. an eclectic mix. Most of the movie is of the animation style of the old 80's D&D Cartoon (albeit with some blood). But, there is also some CGI animation in the scenes too (the draconians were especially noticeable).

Well-voiced characters: Tanis, Goldmoon, Raistlin.
Not-so-well-voiced: Caramon, Sturm, Tas.

Biggest beef: They showed exactly who Fizzban was. I would have preferred the mystery of his identity to have been more layer-of-an-onion like it was in the books.

Overall, 2.5 stars out of 4. Certainly a much better representation of D&D than the thing that came out years ago calling itself a Dungeons and Dragons movie.
Eric B. Proud member of the Knights of Columbus, Triangle Fraternity, and the Society for Creative Anachronism. Best D&D Rules Set Ever: Moldvay/Cook/Marsh Basic D&D Best D&D Campaign Setting Ever: Ravenloft Neitzche says, "God is dead." God says, "Neitzche is dead."
Well, you were far more forgiving than I was. I specifically came here today to post about the movie. While the parts that were right along with the book were great, the stuff they got wrong or left out were REALLY annoying to any true DL fan who has been waiting for a movie for so long.

Little stuff that was wrong:
Tanis with brown hair; Fizban with GREEN robes (not "mouse gray"); voices didn't match all the characters very well; Tas's outfit was not quite "loud" enough; some of the cheesy animation (didn't care for the throwback to the 80's D&D cartoon); Sturm's helm not having the horns - only a small spike on top and the "engraving" didn't show any of the symbols of the Knighthood.

Big stuff that really got me:

ALL of the Xak Tsaroth encounter - no well, no waterfall, didn't enter the front of the temple until right at the end, the disks being in some giant backpack, they never put the staff in the statue of Mishakal's hands even though they drew it properly. The only thing that was right was Goldmoon whacking Onyx with the staff.

Giving away the ident of Fizban and him personally fighting Takky.

All the Draconians were exactly the same.

Verminaard not wearing Red Dragon Armor - or anything that actually resembled the dragon armor as depicted in the books and artwork.

No White Stag chase for Sturm - a very important part of the knight's story.

The whole Sla-mori adventure being left out, no Kith-Kanan, no sword for Tanis, etc.

Everything at Pax Tharkas being chopped out and shortened into about 10 minutes - no dropping the stone gates by Tas and Fizban (that was about a 1/2 second of them falling into a pit, but at least they used the feathers - even if they were green), no encounter with the dark elf - it was all a bunch of nothing.

All in all, just the amount of stuff that was just left out for time constraint purposes - while 90 minutes might have been convenient for the children's audience they are obviously trying to market this movie to - it did us die hard fans no justice what-so-ever!!

Pleasant surprises:

Animation of Lord Toede - he looked almost exactly as pictured on his book in the Villans series.

Pronunciation of almost all of the names that have been questioned throughout the years (most were as I've always said them in my head when reading, except for Mishakal - which they said as Miss-Shack-El where I've always said it Mish-a-Kal).

At least they used the old red dragon part at Pax Tharkas who guarded the children.

For the most part, I was disappointed with the overall outcome of this movie, although I didn't set my expectations too high when I found out it was going to be animated. There were a few bright points that I was happy about; and being a dedicated DL fan I'd buy the other two movies - if they actually produce them. But I would only give this a 2 - 2.5 stars of 5.
I'm glad it was made into a movie, really. I hope they make the rest of the Chronicles, maybe even the Legends. But if they do, they really need to make them better than this one.

I didn't like the combination of CGI and traditional animation. Background characters made no sounds. Battles were nearly silence. Nearly everything went entirely too fast in the plot. Characters don't match their descriptions from the book. Oh, and not enough Bupu.
I'm actually listening to it right now. I know it's hard to make a movie based off a book, because books can be as long as they want, but movies have a time limit. I haven't seen it yet, but I want to. I'm actually listening to it right now, a friend of mine has her microphone on and is letting me listen to it as it plays.
I liked the movie. I want to thank those that took the time and effort to make this movie a reality. I have faith that they will make the rest of the series (along with Legends) and complete the story. Just put it out so that some "Peter Jackson" of the future will turn this fantastic story into the true gem that it is.
I already ranted on the 4E dragonlance forum about this travesty, but I feel it was bad enough to warrant a second ranting here.

First off, I was looking forward to this movie when I first heard about it. I loved the book when I was a kid, it was infact the first novel I rented from the library, and my first taste of DnD.

After having watched the first 20 minutes of the film I wanted to find the people responsible and throw eggs at them. Seriously. Way to take a great story and simply ruin it.

The CGI stuff wouldn't be suitable 6 years ago. it was brutal.

I mean....all I have to say to the people responsible for this travesty is this: Stop it! Cut it right out! You guys make great games and great books. You can not make movies. Or, you can make them, but not make them worth watching or heaven forbid purchasing. I am even the sort of guy who has long since lowered his standards for tv shows and movies so that I am more easily satisfied, and this tripe makes me go on the boards here and rant. I don't like ranting( ok, maybe I do a little) but man, this deserves it.

And before someone says it, I know I couldn't do a better job making a movie. But hey, I know that. It is for that reason that I don't make movies!!! But if I did make movies, or had anything to do with this movie, I could have saved a lot of nonsense on this film.

My biggest beef was the goblins....what's with the cycloptic nostril on the upper lip!? Is that some sort of straw hole so they can drink while they are talking? I mean...what the heck!!!!:headexplo :hoppingma
How/where do I get it and was it in theaters anywhere?
You can get it in Wal-mart. I liked it over all. There were things that were annoying but it is to get people who haven't read it also.....And I also hope they make the whole set. It would be really cool to see it all on film.
I think that I had too high of expectations for this movie, and yet not high enough.

As far as the story went I felt that they covered enough of the story to make it enjoyable and not lose the feel of the first book. Sure they left out some good stuff, but that happens in every movie adaptation.

Where the movie went wrong for me was the animation. I could have handled the movie done in all the retro 80's animation or all done in the CGI but the blend of the two was a little too much for me. The dracs and the dragons were done in the CGI and it made me feel like the heroes were not as important.

The voice acting was a little weak, or maybe it was not how I expected the characters to sound. In particular, while Keifer Sutherland did an alright job with Rasitlin, casting spells never seemed magical but rather more matter of fact.

In the end, I'm glad they made the movie. It wasn't horrible, heck it was worth what I paid for it. It just didn't live up to my hopes for the movie. Maybe the next one will.
How/where do I get it and was it in theaters anywhere?

Amazon has it also, for $14.99.

And, no, it was never released in theaters - it went straight to DVD, which I'm glad they did because I'd have been really peeved if I'd paid money to see this in the theater. I don't mind that it didn't live up to my perception of what the movie should have been, as long as it didn't cost me the theater $$$ to see it then the DVD $$$ (because I just can't help myself when it comes to owning DL stuff LOLOL).
I can't say I wasn't disappointed, but I can't say it was absolutely horrible. It was decent. I did not like, however, that they spoiled the surprise of finding out Fizban was Paladine and Kitiara was a dragon highlord. That, and I still think the voices I hear when I read the books are better. Oh, and the pronunciation of Mishakal. But other than that, it was...okay. Yes, the animation was cheesy (look at the scene where Tas hits Hederick with the blue crystal staff, oh God...), and the voices sounded fake, but overall, I still got chills watching the final battle and reciting the lines like, "The circle is broken, the oath denied, bad luck, bad luck," along with the characters. And the score was pretty good too.
Watching this craptacular movie I was reminded of the old D&D cartoon and the hobbit....Toede kind of looks like Gollum come to think of it and I will be surprised if they make the other two into movies now. The animation and CGI were hands down some of the worst I have ever seen and all I could think of while watching this movie is why couldn't Greg Weisman from Gargoyles have made it?
I finally watched this last night.

I should have left the wrapper on the package.

Terrible would be a compliment to this piece of crap.

This movie was supposed to be my opportunity to turn my wife and kids on to Dragonlance, and possibly D&D gaming. Thanks to this POS, I'll never get them to bother.

I see people saying they would like to see the other books done now. I'll pass. I've been waiting years upon years for this movie, and now, I hope I never see any further DL movies.

There's a freaking Dungeon Siege live-action movie hitting theaters. How in the name of all the Krynnish gods does Dungeon Siege warrant a live-action film, and arguably the best setting in all of fantasy doesn't?

How did they manage to make animated "acting" appear forced? Why did the characters speak like they were modern day Americans? Seriously, slang?

I thought I would be at least happy with Sutherland doing Raist's voice. Nope. I thought if Lawless used the Xena style she'd pull off Goldmoon, but she didn't even bother. There was a total lack of emotion in every voice, except strangely enough, Riverwind, who is the one character who could have managed to pull off a lack of emotion.

The entire film was filled with inconsistencies with the books, and many of the most tragic have already been pointed out here, but there is one that I saw that I haven't seen spoken about. In the final scene, Tanis watches Laurana kiss Elistan on the lips! WTF?!?!

Painful. Absolutely painful.
Long Live the Lance! Give us 4e DL!
In the final scene, Tanis watches Laurana kiss Elistan on the lips! WTF?!?!

WHOA - I totally missed THAT!!! I'd say I'll have to go back and check it out, but I don't know if I want to be that pi55ed off about it.

WHOA - I totally missed THAT!!! I'd say I'll have to go back and check it out, but I don't know if I want to be that pi55ed off about it.

Oh it's there, believe me. I almost went ballistic. She had a tiny part in the film to begin with, but then to do that was just unacceptable.
ACK! Double-post!
I thought the cgi was cheesy and the goblins looked goofy, outside of that the movie was alright, should have been longer..
Amazon has it also, for $14.99.

If you're going to order from Amazon anyway, you might consider ordering through the Nexus. We're set up as an Amazon associate, so purchases made through the site help to keep the Nexus in business.

:D
Trampas Whiteman ---DragonHelm---> Whitestone Council Dragonlance Nexus Long Live the Lance!
That is a bold move there DH, lol. Truly shameless. I commend you.:D

PS Not to veer completely off topic, but I finally got a copy of Dragons of the Highlord Skies, and liked your cameo in there. I thought that was pretty cool.
i liked it but it left out way too much
like the gully dwarf who frees them in the slave caravan instead of fizban casting a spell

also like not know what happen to KIT till later
PS Not to veer completely off topic, but I finally got a copy of Dragons of the Highlord Skies, and liked your cameo in there. I thought that was pretty cool.

Hehe! Yeah, Margaret even did a bump for the podcast where she introduces herself, then says, "...and not tonight, Trampas." :D

While people keep laughing that I got turned down, I remind them that there have been other nights with Kitiara, and that she doesn't pick just anybody. ;)

(That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

Back to topic!
Trampas Whiteman ---DragonHelm---> Whitestone Council Dragonlance Nexus Long Live the Lance!
Well, being a big DL fan I AM happy that the movie is out and that I have it...that being said, I didn't mind the old 80's cartoon style at all. I thought the voice acting was decent (it is just a cartoon after all). I wasn't a big fan of the huge gaps in the story, I know that they were on certain budget and time constraints, but it was the entire part in Xak Tsaroth that really chapped my a$$. But I suppose sacrifices had to be made.
The mix of CGI and classic animation I originally thought might be a good idea...but I was thinking MUCH MUCH more complex a scale, like Titan A.E. style mix of classic 2D and 3D animation. In the end, I think the CGI looked like some really cheesy crap and try to just not acknowledge it, in hopes that it will eventually go away. :P
Overall, it was a really cool project and I would definitly buy more if they made them simply because I love the story, but if they could just go to straight animation, that would be cool. Here is an idea, save the CGI for bonus content and do like an extra on the DVD which is a tour of Raistlin's tower or the Inn of the Last Home in 3D, something other than making the dragons and draconians look like drop-ins on the screen done by a really bad puppeteer.
I really did like the movie, and have watched it like 6 times since buying it a few weeks ago, but I do have one more complaint that really seemed overly obvious and way to simple a fix to me. Wasn't Tanis's beard descibed as "brownish-red", meaning that it was Red with brown tones to it....not tree-bark brown! Is it really that hard a concept..."Hey coloring dude, that beard should look red with a hue of brown, not just brown." "Oh, ok." Was that really so difficult? I mean, there are colors like that in a box of crayola for cryin' out loud. I don't know why that bothered me so much, but it did.

If I had to rate it, I'd give it 3 out of 5 black robes
I dunno but I just don't think that this movie was specifically made for existing Dragonlance fans. The fanbase is just too small to make it a viable business venture.

I think it's a kids movie based on a very popular book series. It stayed pretty close to the original storyline but no movie is exact.

I think this movie is meant to be one of those found in the kiddie section of the video store for parents who need something to entertain the kids for the evening. And for that, it succeeds.

From what I've heard, the D&D life-action movies did very well in the rental market (not so well in the theatres). I wouldn't be surprised if the Dragonlance movie achieves the same results.

All of that aside, I think there must be something very much wrong with the Chronicles story (despite what Dragonlance fans might think) that prevents it from translating into a life-action, major Hollywood release. I don't buy the fact that's it's long; I think there's probably deeper underlying "flaws" that make it very difficult, if not impossible, to translate into a true movie. I'm not a script writer or producer so I don't know what those flaws might be, but the fact that no studio has ever wanted to produce it as a movie speaks volumes. Even with the recent surge in medieval fantasy movies spawning from the LotR series.
I have to butt in on this. DragonLance has no major flaws that keep it from becoming a LiveAction movie. Its just no one has had the money to do what peter jackson did for MiddleEarth. If i ever Hit the lotto then I will make the movies myself with margaret, tracy and the whitestone council as my advisers.

but to say its because of flaws, no i do not agree with that at all. one of these days Wotc might decide to sink money into making quality movies and if they do we could see lots of dungeons and dragons settings on film, but without millions of dollars to sink into the movies its just not worth it.

Fans build you up to rip you down, thats just how it goes, i have not yet seen the DLAM (animated movie) because its not in any of the stores i go to. but i already know what to expect. i feel bad that fans dislike most of the movie but i am still glad it was made and cant wait to buy it and watch it over and over again. Also DLAM is not a childs movie. with all the blood and boob shots i think its meant for teen to adult.

I would not blame M&T if they never made another movie even if they had the support and money after reading through the harshness of these posts on these boards and the DLN boards. Its all negative, barely anything positive at all.

and yea yea i'v already heard the reasons. save it for someone else.:P
It is my opinion that Dragonlance has not been made into a movie is because there are (while I hate to admit it) more than a few similiarities with LotR, that it would probably stike many as a copycat.

We who have read the books for both would recognize the differences, but those who have not may not. This I believe is the reason that DL has not been made into a live-action film.
I am a fan of middle earth, and i have read the books and i can honestly say that besides the similarities found in ALL fantasy works LOTR and DL has nothing in common and are not even close to being copycats.

LOTR lacks flavor. its general fantasy IMHO. DragonLance is Original Fantasy with lots of flavor.

let me throw out a few things that DL offers that LOTR never even touched on.

1. Hundreds of Dragons included. DragonRiding Knights.
2. Many differant Gods that interact with mortals.
3. Flying Citadels
4.Kender and Draconians and Tarmaks.
5. Fistandantilus&Raistlin
6. Orders of Highsorcery including more than 3 wizards.
7. Very differant and unique cultures.
8. a Very Differant Storyline
9. Greygem and the return of Chaos.
10. The need for Balance in all things.

* I will say this again. MiddleEarth is not original fantasy, it is a filtered vision of ancient mytholoy. DragonLance, Darksun, Ravenloft have more Originality to them than LOTR does. and LOTR is only one story of middle earth.

LOTR and the War of the Lance share nothing in common aside from the basics of Good versus Evil. and even then WotL depends more on the balance than defeating evil for the sake of good.
Let me explan alittle my previous post.

1) Ancient evil arising to destroy the world-
LoTR-The one Ring
DL-Dragons

2) Group of 9 adventurers who seek to prevent said evil
LoTR-Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Sam, Frodo, Merry, Pippin
DL-Laurana, Flint, Raistlin, Tanis, Sturm, Caramon, Goldmoon, Riverwind, Tasselhoff

3) Each group contains 1 elf, 1 dwarf, 1 Half-Elf (or whatever they call it in LoTR) and at least 1 halfing\kender
LoTR-Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Pippin
DL-Laurana, Flint, Tanis, Tasselhoff

4) Each group contains 1 Human Knight, 1 Wizard, 1 Thief and at least 1 half-elven Ranger
LoTR-Boromir, Gandalf, Pippin, Aragorn
DL-Sturm, Raistlin, Tasselhoff, Tanis

5) Half-Elven Ranger of group is also leader of group

6) Wizard goes through transformation
LoTR-Gandalf the grey goes to Gandalf the White
DL-Raistlin the grey goes to Raistlin the Black

7) Human Knight dies defending others in order to buy time for companions

8) Halfling\Kender is always causing mischief
LoTR-Pippen
DL-Tasselhoff

9) Elf and Dwarf become or already are friends

10) Group (or at least a portion of group) go to a place frought with evil
LoTR-Land of the dead
DL-Silvanesti

11) Great weapon of the past is reforged
LoTR-Kingsword (Aragorn's Sword)
DL-Dragonlances

12) Wizards have three orders
LoTR-Sarumon is White, Gandalf is Grey, other guy is brown if I recall (even though he did not make into movie)
DL-Three orders of wizard

13) Elven nations are leaving the lands and going on ships

14) Elven princess is love interest of Half-Elven\Dunedain Ranger

15) You have characters riding dragons\wyverns (most people can't tell or would care about the difference)

16) Evil armies of non-human races are attacking good lands

17) There is a magical orb looking like artifact
LoTR-Palantir
DL-Dragonorbs

18) There is a pair of characters that come from the same area\family, one of which looks out for the other, while the other eventually turns on the caretaker
LotR-Frodo and Sam (not in book, movie shows this)
DL-Raistlin and Caramon

19) There is a friend ship built between characters of two races that cannot stand each other
LoTR-Gimli & Legolas
DL-Flint & Tasselhoff

20) Trees attack characters
LoTR-Attack on Isenguard
DL-Silvanesti forest

21) Knight is a human, Thief is a halfling\kender, Ranger is a Half-elf\dunedain, Wizard is a Human (at least ar far as we can tell)

22) Ancient race is transformed into a new race
LoTR-Elves turned into Uruk-khai
DL-Dragons are turned into Draconians

23) King of a land goes insane\corrupted by evil
LoTR-Denethor or Theoden (take your pick)
DL-Lorac

24) Companions\fellowship splits apart

25) Land of the good king is the last land to fall (or at least close to it)
LoTR-Gondor
DL-Solamnia

26) Elves join the fight
LotR-Elves fight at Battle of Hornburg (didn't happen in book IIRC, but movie shows this)
DL-Laurana leads the armies of whitstone council

27) There is a meeting of all the good nations
LotR-At Rivendell to create the fellowship
DL-Whitestone council

28) At council meeting someone tries to destroy ancient artifact
LotR-Gimli tries to destroy ring
DL-Tasselhoff destroys dragonorb

29) Someone in group carries inherently evil artifact that corrupts those who carry it
LotR-Frodo and the One Ring
DL-Raistlin and the Dragonorb (granted Raistlin was more easily corrupted)

30) There is a corrupted knight\king that is now an undead creature
LotR-Angmar
DL-Lord Soth

31) And last but not least, there is a struggle at the end of the story over an artifact of magic
LotR-The One Ring
DL-The Crown of Power

Need I go on?

I understand what you are saying, and yes there are differences, but these differences are not so much in the storyline as they are in the descriptions of the world and how things came about. In the general storyline all most people would probably see is a group of adventurers trying to prevent an ancient evil from taking control of the land.
Both (darthsylver & HuntmasterAvatar) of your points of view are quite good and valid - thanks to you both for the comparisons/differences - especially the the comparisons by darth as I am a fan of the LotR movies and an avid (some may say rabid LOL) DL fan and I never noticed the depth of the likenesses.

I personally think that DL would translate into a live action flick just as well as LotR did (I never read the books, however I'm sure there was pleanty left out as would happen to the DL books/movie translation - but that is to be expected with such huge worlds and stories), and would make the studio and WotC quite a bit of cash-ola (which Wizards seems to be all about IMO). I just hate the amount of storyline that was integral to the character-building in the novels, which W&H took so much time to create, being left out of animated film (extended single TV episode really IMO).

I only have one question regarding your comparisons darth - was Aragorn not a human? It was my impression that he was, but they never actually said that he wasn't in the movie (that I can recall), so now I'm not sure based on what you said. Thanks
Aragorn was a doon-a-dine (no idea how its spelled so bite me:P ) which is basically a human blessed with a very long life span.
I personally think that DL would translate into a live action flick just as well as LotR did (I never read the books, however I'm sure there was pleanty left out as would happen to the DL books/movie translation - but that is to be expected with such huge worlds and stories), and would make the studio and WotC quite a bit of cash-ola (which Wizards seems to be all about IMO).

I only have one question regarding your comparisons darth - was Aragorn not a human? It was my impression that he was, but they never actually said that he wasn't in the movie (that I can recall), so now I'm not sure based on what you said. Thanks

I agree that it would translate into a live-action film as well as LotR, I just believe that at this point in time it might come off as a copy of the LoTR movies.

Believe when I was first told that DL had similiarities with LoTR I was adamant that it did not. I had not read any of the LoTR books until after I saw the movies, I had not realized that LoTR was a major contributing factor in the creation of D&D, but believe me my buddies made sure that I knew after see Fellowship. The teasing didn't end for about a month.

HuntmasterAvater provided the name of the subspecies of what Aragorn was, a Dunedain. Whose original leader was a half-elf, and all descendents had elven blood. The dunedain were also long-lived (3 times as long as normal men) (in the same manner as a half-elf) men.
Hmmm, probably would have been a good thing for them to tell about in the movies (the Dunedain thing that is - unless I just missed it, then I'm sorry for being an idiot).

Thanks to both of you again for the info.

I know what you were saying Darth about it looking like a re-hash of LotR, and I both agree (now that you've provided so many well-founded similarities, I never noticed) and disagree (due to the fact that I'm more a DL fan than LotR) with you about them making the live action DL movie.

JUST DO IT YOU JERKS & DON'T SCREW IT UP!!!
LOLOLOLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D
They did mention it, but only in the extended version.

It is in a scene right after leaving Edoras. In which Eowyn mentions to Aragorn that Theoden told her that Aragorn fought in a battle when Theoden was a boy (not sure if it is actually in the book) and that he must have been mistaken. Aragorn comments that Theoden has a good memory and eventually goes on to explain that he is 70-80 years old (not sure exactly) and Eowyn states that he must be one of the Dunedain.

Later (not completely sure about this one) there is another scene between Elrond and Arwen that even with Aragorn's long-lifespan, eventually he will die before Arwen and bring pain to her by his death.

So Peter did try to get it into the story but was edited out for time.

As far as for a Live-Action DL flick, make no mistake, I want a live-action DL movie. Even if it was not of the greatest quality I would see it, just as I plan to buy the DL animated movie (despite some of the remarks about its quality on these boards).
Sturm doesn't die until Winter Night which is the 2nd book.

I don't know that I would say Flint became good friends with any of the elves.

I think Sauron would be the 3rd wizard form LoTR but I don't think they compare to the orders in DL because they don't have a focus on alignment. Its more like a rank because when Gandalf becomes the white which is the most powerful of the order thus replacing Saruman.

In DL the elves are only leaving their lands because they are in immenant danger of being overun by the Dragonarmies and while its not stated it seems as a temporary evacuation. In LoTR they are leaving for good and never coming back.

In the books Frodo never turned on Sam and that is the single worst adaption Jackson made to the story. In the books there is not a snowball's chance in hell Frodo would turn on Sam.

In the books the elves never assisted as Helm's Deep. That was another adaption made by Jackson for the movie.
You're right, Sturm dies in second book.

The three wizards that could be mistrued are:
Good (white) - Sarumon
Neutral (grey) - Gandalf
Evil (black) - Sauron

(bit of a stretch because it never says that he is a wizard, at least not that I can recall, but this could be inferred with all the magic involved)

As to the other three you list, yes you are correct that they only occur in the movie, but that is precisely what my point was. If you do DL correctly you could make these comparisons or similiarites because they were in Peter Jackson's movie.

If you will look at my post previous to the one with the list, it says those of us who have read the books would know the differences, but as movies do not always allow for such explainations, just seeing these events would seem similiar to those who do not know better.

While I love DL and have every book (and almost every D&D supplment for DL) I can acknowledge that there probably are many more people who have read Tolkien's books than DL novels. As such if a DL live-action movie is made (which I sincerely hope it eventualy is), at this precise moment in time it might be seen (by the general population) as a second-rate knockoff of the LoTR movies (especially if it is not given the resources and support it deserves).

If you saw a DL movie that was made utilizing the same resources as the two D&D movies, what would you think? I mean one of them didn't even make it to the big-screen but went directly to VHS.

Now the Dragonlance movie is released as an animted movie. Why do you think that is? Probably because someone realized that making DL as a live-action at this time would not do it justice and it would not be received as well as it should (except maybe for DL fans, who are tearing the animated DL movie to shreads in these boards).
I'm definitely going to have to agree with Darth on this one. While I also want to see a live action DL movie, the world is still enamored with what Mr. Jackson did with Mr. Tolkein's epic story.

And who can blame them? Put all three extended editions together and you have about twelve hours of cinematic masterpiece (but still no Tom Bombadil). It's a lot to sit through, but goodness gracious, is it worth it.

I can rest assured knowing that a live action DL flick would be amazing (if done properly), but the fact of the matter (and the point Darth is trying to make) is that Mr. Jackson's adaptation of LOTR was so fantastic, so stupendous, so utterly breathtaking to all fantasy lovers, that we are still fawning over it to this day.

One day, perhaps a fellow will come along and approach Mrs. Weis and Mr. Hickman, saying, "I have been a fan of your work since I was a teenager, and I have read the Chronicles trilogy at least a dozen times. I'd like to ask you about the possibility of a live-action movie." I know that's what I'd say if I ever met them, for I have aspirations of becoming a filmmaker myself.

The real trouble would be when to stop. Should I finish off after Legends, or go through Dragons of Summer Flame? If I do that, I can't leave out The Second Generation (never mind the fact that it's a collection of short stories and not one big story of its own). But then again, what about the War of Souls? What an epic trilogy that was, especially with an amazing cast of characters, and the story hopping from one to the other all the time. But, of course, you can't forget the Raistlin Chronicles and the Dark Disciple. And what about Lost Chronicles too? Oh, what a dilemma!

But I'm trailing. The point Darth seems to be making is that the world is still stuck on LOTR. Thanks to those movies, even stereotypical jocks and punks are in love with fantasy worlds. But they will never read the books. So, if they saw a DL movie, because they haven't read a book since The Very Hungry Caterpillar in Kindergarten, they will not realize that these are two totally different stories. They will think it's just someone's own LOTR.

I have no doubt that, eventually, a live action DL picture will be made. And when it's done, there will be a thread here, with all of us saying something along the lines of, "Not too shabby, if I do say so myself."
grima wormtongue is the evil wizard. corrupted more than evil.

i own the three extended versions of the movies so i got to see all the juicy extras. and its true, the movies are not exactly like the books. the movies change or add things that never happened.

flint was good friends with tanis from the begining of the wotl, and some would say he was friends with the human side of tanis because when tanis would act up, flint would throw a jibe at tanis referring to his elven heritage.

Legolis is not a half elf.

all i have time for now. til next time.:P
I can rest assured knowing that a live action DL flick would be amazing (if done properly), but the fact of the matter (and the point Darth is trying to make) is that Mr. Jackson's adaptation of LOTR was so fantastic, so stupendous, so utterly breathtaking to all fantasy lovers, that we are still fawning over it to this day.

after the hundreth time of watching the movie it loses alot of its luster. now when i watch it the flaws stand out like a battleship in the desert.

i still enjoy the movie, but its not nearly as good as it was the first 20 times i saw it. now i watch it maybe once every 6 months to a year.

and trust me when i say this. not everyone is a MiddleEarth fan.:P
grima wormtongue is the evil wizard. corrupted more than evil.

i own the three extended versions of the movies so i got to see all the juicy extras. and its true, the movies are not exactly like the books. the movies change or add things that never happened.

flint was good friends with tanis from the begining of the wotl, and some would say he was friends with the human side of tanis because when tanis would act up, flint would throw a jibe at tanis referring to his elven heritage.

Legolis is not a half elf.

all i have time for now. til next time.:P

Never said Legolas was a Half-Elf. (Sounds like you were referring to this comparison)

3) Each group contains 1 elf, 1 dwarf, 1 Half-Elf (or whatever they call it in LoTR) and at least 1 halfing
LoTR-Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Pippin
DL-Laurana, Flint, Tanis, Tasselhoff

Or possible this comparison

19) There is a friend ship built between characters of two races that cannot stand each other
LoTR-Gimli (dwarf) & Legolas (elf)
DL-Flint (dwarf) & Tasselhoff (kender)

And yes, I also own all three of the extended cuts.
They did mention it, but only in the extended version.

It is in a scene right after leaving Edoras. In which Eowyn mentions to Aragorn that Theoden told her that Aragorn fought in a battle when Theoden was a boy (not sure if it is actually in the book) and that he must have been mistaken. Aragorn comments that Theoden has a good memory and eventually goes on to explain that he is 70-80 years old (not sure exactly) and Eowyn states that he must be one of the Dunedain.

Later (not completely sure about this one) there is another scene between Elrond and Arwen that even with Aragorn's long-lifespan, eventually he will die before Arwen and bring pain to her by his death.

Thanks for the clarification. I have the extended cuts as well, and it seems that every time I sit down to watch them something interrupts my entrallment and I have to leave Middle Earth to come back another time - so I've missed that part of Aragorn's background.
It's alright. My wife and kids actually ask to watch the movies more often than I do so I have seen them many times.
I think Sauron would be the 3rd wizard form LoTR but I don't think they compare to the orders in DL because they don't have a focus on alignment. Its more like a rank because when Gandalf becomes the white which is the most powerful of the order thus replacing Saruman.

The third wizard was Radagast (the Brown.) He only makes a brief appearance in LotR, when he meets up with Gandalf with news about the Nazgul's activities. He's also the one who later sent Gwaihir to report to Gandalf in Orthanc, thus contributing (unwittingly) to Gandalf's escape.

There were two other "Blue" istari who were never named in the original book, but were mentioned briefly in "Unfinished Tales" (where they were called "Alatar" and "Pallando")

I guess you could call Sauron a "wizard" since he was technically the same "race" and the other five, but that's opening a whole can of worms. After all, Balrogs aren't considered wizards by anybody. :P