King James Oath

32 posts / 0 new
Last post

King James Oath

IMAGE(<a href="http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/BGU.gif" title="http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/BGU.gif" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku...</a>)

This thread is for the discussion of all King James Oath decks.

IMAGE(<a href="http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/BGU.gif" title="http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku/BGU.gif" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee215/Hodoku...</a>)

[size="3"]What is King James Oath and how is it played?[/size]
King James Oath is your typical oath deck that utilizes Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Hellkite Overlord as its kill conditions. The addition of the overlord to the deck has decreased the clock by a full turn, which in vintage is a pretty big deal. As stated the deck is your typical oath shell, use forbidden orchard to make sure your opponent has a creature so you can activate oath of druids and get a free clock on wings. The rest of the deck can simply be dedicated to knocking your opponent off their gameplan, this means counter magic and disruptive things like duress.

Sample Decklists

Marc Corbella, Badalona

Maindeck (60):

Spells (43):
1 Black Lotus
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Duress
3 Thoughtseize
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
3 Cunning Wish
1 Echoing Truth
4 Force of Will
2 Impulse
4 Mana Drain
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Ponder
1 Rebuild
1 Time Walk
1 Gaea's Blessing
2 Hellkite Overlord
4 Oath of Druids

Lands (17):
3 Flooded Strand
4 Forbidden Orchard
1 Island
1 Library of Alexandria
2 Polluted Delta
1 Strip Mine
1 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island

Sideboard (15):
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Brain Freeze
1 Crop Rotation
1 Darkblast
1 Echoing Truth
3 Extirpate
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Misdirection
1 Pyroblast
1 Rebuild
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Research/Development
1 Trickbind

James King, Cedarburg

Maindeck (60):

Spells (43):
1 Black Lotus
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Scroll Rack
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Thoughtseize
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Impulse
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Misdirection
4 Negate
1 Ponder
1 Time Walk
1 Wipe Away
1 Gaea's Blessing
1 Hellkite Overlord
4 Oath of Druids
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Lands (17):
2 Flooded Strand
4 Forbidden Orchard
1 Island
3 Polluted Delta
1 Strip Mine
1 Tropical Island
3 Underground Sea
2 Wasteland

Sideboard (15):
2 Arcane Laboratory
1 Life from the Loam
1 Massacre
3 Oxidize
2 Simic Sky Swallower
4 Tormod's Crypt
1 Tropical Island
1 Wasteland

Matchups

Favorable:

Average:

Unfavorable
Vintage Deckbuilding-Your First Vintage Tournament
Yes, that IS a picture of me that I am using for my avatar.
what makes this better than tyrant oath builds?
what makes this better than tyrant oath builds?

I heard winning in 2 turns of beats was good....
With the loss of gush and cheap cantrips the power of tyrant has decreased dramatically. Where before it was fairly easy to beat down with tyrant just using brainstorm and gush to control your opponent's board (ie leaving them with no board), now it is easier to smash face with actual beat sticks. Also, without the huge amount of draw it is harder to assmeble the combo than before.
There's a card in Conflux that Oath might like...
Sure it's a turn slower than the Hellkite/Akroma kill, but it can't be bounced, StPed, Vindicated etc. It dies to Edicts, but when it does you can Oath it back next turn.

What do you think? Viable?
There's a card in Conflux that Oath might like...
Sure it's a turn slower than the Hellkite/Akroma kill, but it can't be bounced, StPed, Vindicated etc. It dies to Edicts, but when it does you can Oath it back next turn.

What do you think? Viable?

Beat me to it =)

Actually, unless your opponent has pained themselves, the hellkite/akroma kill is the same turn as said spoiler.
How so, hellkite/ Akroma is 2 turns after oath. This takes 2 turns to kill, so this kills 3 turns after oath with no help. This + hellkite kills 2 turns after oath if the opponent has cracked 2 fetches.

Only if you can Oath twice.

This is really good in that you can Oath it again and is immune to StP and CoV.
It ought to at least replace SB SSS in those lists that run it.
You can usually oath twice. If they can't sac the token then you can oath a second time by manaburning for one, if you really have nothing to play. I don't think it's worth the MD slot.

So if you have 2 oaths in play you can do the ability twice?
In case it's unclear, you have to have less creatures than any opponent when the oath trigger resolves in order to be able to get a creature. So if your opponent has 1 token and you have 2 oaths, unless you give them a second creature only one oath trigger will do anything.
posting at channelfireball.
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
posting at channelfireball.

What is this? You have posted it in 3 threads. Are you just spamming up the forum?
What is this? You have posted it in 3 threads. Are you just spamming up the forum?

No I was letting you know I was posting this at ChannelFireball.com
NO LOTUS MUTHA ****IN' SHOPS BURN'T DOWN THE MUTHA ****IN' GENCON
Maybe this question is ignorant, but why isn't DSC included in the win con list?
Because DSC has been outdated with the printings of Progenitus and Iona, Shield of Emeria.

In fact, King James Oath may have been outdated - most oath builds these days are Vroman Oath, or something very similar.
It's at least the one that gets the most press.
Because DSC has been outdated with the printings of Progenitus and Iona, Shield of Emeria.

In fact, King James Oath may have been outdated - most oath builds these days are Vroman Oath, or something very similar.
It's at least the one that gets the most press.

qft

got a question

is Emrakul, the Aeons Torn viable?  at least against beatdown decks?

In low-key metas, probably. At the very least, there's not much chance of a counter attack once he swings. Since most played cards (read: everything but Jace and Stax parts) can't handle him, he's pretty good in metas where they can't just kill you anyway.

Then again, Oathing in general seems to be pretty good against beatdown strategies.
I'd like to run this deck against my Oath deck I've built recently. Replacing Avatar of Might with Gaea's Revenge.

New Wave Oath

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

since im not as big of a bitch as you think i am, im going to actually respond to this post.

the idea of monogreen oath is cute.  it is definitely a solid budget solution.  the fact that hunted troll enables oath with tokens, yet is castable without it, yet is still good in multiples is a great interaction and a good core for the deck.  but there are a few issues:

hunted troll is the only decent creature in the deck.  all of the others are either counter to your strategy (useless little guys who hurt oath and ramp mana in a monocolored deck that doesnt need to ramp at all,) or are uncastable without oath even with the mana critters, yet dont offer a meaningful advantage over the trolls.

you have a grand total of zero cards that actually disrupt anything.  no counters, no sweepers, prison pieces, no targeted removal of any kind.  i would recommend beast within, ray of revelation and ancient grudge, probably, to start.

you have no way to find oath.

you have no way to draw more than one card a turn, so if your hand and/or board get disrupted, you cant recover.

elixir of immortality is just lol.  you would be such a good troll if you would just avoid things like this that put it over the top.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

You think so hotshot? Well, I don't even think the deck needs removal to win.

I've seen what the deck can do.

I don't need to search for Oath because I'll just mulligan until it's in my opening hand. Why don't you go back to that page, click Deck Analysis, then run a few test hands; see how many mulligans it takes you on average. Liege isn't in there to be cast, you're missing the purpose of the deck; it's to use Oath of Druids from the very start. Casting Hunted Troll outright is just bonus points in case your opponent is trying to play around it on the second game (or if you need to); because Hunted Troll activates Oath of Druids all by itself.

That unique interaction was the inspiration behind the deck. Liege of the Tangle is only intended to hit the battlefield via Oath. And once it does, your opponent is going to have to answer it right away. Now that may be easy to do, but if it hits them even once, their removal isn't going to matter after that since it'll turn all your lands into 8/8's. At that point, even if they did hit it with a removal, you'll be able to swing at least three 8/8's to victory. That was the whole intention behind Leige of the Tangle, it's counter-active against removal. Now Gaea's Leige is suggested in place of Avatar of Might against removal heavy theme like the OP, but replacing it with Liege instead can be an even better idea.

Avatar of Might is strategically placed in there because it works alongside your opponent having more creatures than you (which cosigns with Hunted Troll's token creating ability). You tap Forbidden Orchard, drop Hunted Troll, then you can drop Avatar of Might for two mana. Generally won't even need to use Orchard because your opponent is very likely to have cast at least one creature (and that's all it'll take). From there, your opponent is between a rock and a hard place. If they cast creatures, it'll trigger Oath (giving you another Titan). If they don't, they're doomed to be crushed by them. And that's just a single case scenario apart of the initial sync-tactics I used to develop this original deck.

I'm willing to bet you really like it, but it's a shame I'll never know for sure.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

"ill just mulligan till its in my opening hand" is a really terrible plan.  if thats really what youre going to go for, then you need 4x serum powder.  you also have no defense against wasteland and strip mine, which I hear is super secret tech.

i didnt miss the purpose of the deck, im telling you that it is not a good plan.  even if it was, there are better targets.  casting hunted troll isnt just a bonus, its the only really viable part of the deck.

liege isnt hasty and doesnt dodge removal, so he is likely to die before attacking.  how is it counteractive against removal????  it isnt at all.  what youre playing is that swingy "cheap" type of combo that you supposedly hate so much, where you just draw channel fireball and hope they dont have a way to stop it, because you have no protection.  even emrakul or something would be better and youre still mono green.

avatar of might sucks, it is only good with hunted troll out, at which point you already have 8 power on the board.  id rather play [card]roar of the wurm[card].  also, you arent even assured youll be behind 4 creatures, since you have so many mana dorks in the deck, even if they dont have a way to remove the tokens. which a lot of people do.

also, you say you wont even always use orchard?  but you expect oath to be going off?  presumably via hunted troll?  so you expect to get to 4 mana for the troll and THEN get avatar out and THEN trigger oath with no disruption of their gameplan whatsoever?  because they arent "likely to play a creature" if you drop oath on turn 2.

i said your idea was neat, which is why i gave you an honest critique.  you can listen to my years of experience and my logical points, but as usual you wont, because youre a bad deck builder and a bad player, and you refuse to see the hyperobvious flaws in everything you do.  thats why i called you a troll.  because i really hope you are.  hot shot.

also you shouldnt be posting a completely new deck in a decks to beat thread, obviously.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

The problem with your deck, GM_champion, is that you fail to include any disruptive elements for enemy combo, and your own deck isn't a particularly slow or hard to disrupt combo.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
you shouldnt have left ts, cato, its wacky and good, just dont take the razzing seriously!

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

see cato, one person thinks you're okay. 
How do you know cato so well?  He just started on this site a few days ago.
I hate dogs.
hes a new account for an older poster

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Generation=0

All of these cat related personae are related. 
Yeah, that and it's infantile.
hes a new account for an older poster

Who?

I've been on this site awhile and I should know them. 
I hate dogs.
i'm slowly puttin together an oath deck with power proxies.  i'm finding that avacyn angel of hope isnt a bad option.  i alos dont understand why these path decks arent running a 4x of enlightened tutor.  cuts down on mulligans dramatically, but does leave one a turn short when you choose to use him over mulligan down to a useable draw with an oath
Oath decks don't run E. Tutor because they tend to either be 1) Control decks, meaning they will take their time and dig/tutor for Oath while countering things, or 2) Storm variants, which are very new and have multiple lines of play without using Oath.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.