Early release of Starter Set at official Wizards store

I read somewhere that an official Wizards of the Coast outlet store apparently you can pick up the starter set two weeks early in-store vs online. Is that true?

akaddk wrote:
Alter_Boy wrote:
Speaking as someone who used to volunteer in an official capacity for WotC, slamming the hobbies of potential players is the first rule they emphasize you don't do. If you're serious about running D&D, perhaps you should project a more friendly and open-minded outlook. Showing respect to people you disagree with and finding common ground with them is a lesson applicable for life in general.

And speaking as someone who, like Ramzour, has repeatedly tried to start a D&D Encounters or even the previous incarnation of 4e Organised Play at several FLGS that have open tables, I can tell you that it's an uphill battle outside of the US. In every single place I tried, I approached the store owners or managers in a friendly manner and asked them if they'd assist me since it requires THEM to approve you as an organiser. And in every single instance I was told straight up that they'd be glad to have it and yet never returned emails, were always too busy (despite going into the stores and seeing them standing around doing nothing for hours on end), or ended up telling me that they didn't want to do it after all.

Worse, I even managed to get myself a fifteen minute lecture on why Pathfinder was superior to D&D 4e and why nobody would want to come and play it... from the store owner.

Wizards Organised Play is a bloody mess as well. They couldn't find their own arse with a GPS.

Hmm! Thanks for telling your story. I'm glad I'm not the only one that deals with this problem. My plan is to try again once 5e comes out, beginning with the Starter Set. Hopefully they will see it as a potential money making opportunity (sell new books!) and not just me "playtesting".

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Please introduce yourself to the new D&D 5e forums in this very friendly thread started by Pukunui!

My improvements to the Ranger: A Better Beast Master Ranger.

Make 5e Saving Throws better using Ramzour's Six Ability Save System!

Lost Mine of Phandelver: || Problems and Ideas with the adventure ||  Finding the Ghost of Neverwinter Wood ||

Giving classes iconic abilities that don't break the game: Ramzour's Class Defining Ability system.

Rules for a simple non-XP based leveling up system, using the Proficiency Bonus

I just tweeted a link to this thread to the @DnD_AdvLeague's Twitter account (https://twitter.com/etallitnics/status/475790287172669441) and asked how they're planning on competing with the likes of MtG (etc.) for $/table at our FLGS'.

Stay tuned…

Ramzour wrote:
Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Oz.

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

Magic as a game always reminded me of chess.  Not the rules of course but the competitive head to head battle.  I prefer chess when I want that sort of thing.  I can see the appeal though of a game like magic.

THIS ACCOUNT IS NOW CLOSED.  THE EMERIKOL ACCOUNT WITHOUT THE PERIOD AT THE END IS NOW ACTIVE AGAIN.  PLEASE DO NOT SEND MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT.  THEY WILL NOT BE SEEN.

I have a really good mtg deck from 1998. It's not possible to compete with anyone today and the cards combined will only get me $5. Not a game I'm willing to support anymore.

akaddk wrote:

And speaking as someone who, like Ramzour, has repeatedly tried to start a D&D Encounters or even the previous incarnation of 4e Organised Play at several FLGS that have open tables, I can tell you that it's an uphill battle outside of the US

Worse, I even managed to get myself a fifteen minute lecture on why Pathfinder was superior to D&D 4e and why nobody would want to come and play it... from the store owner.

Wizards Organised Play is a bloody mess as well. They couldn't find their own arse with a GPS.

My store is in western Canada.   It seems to do fine here, though I really only have my own place to judge by.

A store owner should really not share their own preferences (should really try not to have too strong opinions as much as they can), at least not to the extent that they insult anybody.

But there are far too many opinionated social misfits running stores for it to be avoided.

(Personally I don't mind PLAYING Pathfinder, but would never want to run it, and I quite enjoyed both playing and running 4e, but I was also privately quite critical of some of its shortcomings. Still like both of them better than 3.5, which, like Pathfinder, I didn't like running at all, and I'm primarily a DM.)

The WPN event reporter is SO bad I make an employee do all of our reporting.  I can't handle that thing at all.  Dealing with organised play (WPN) is a NIGHTMARE in general.

E-Tallitnics wrote:

I just tweeted a link to this thread to the @DnD_AdvLeague's Twitter account (https://twitter.com/etallitnics/status/475790287172669441) and asked how they're planning on competing with the likes of MtG (etc.) for $/table at our FLGS'.

Stay tuned…

Thanks! Please let us know what they say.

Please introduce yourself to the new D&D 5e forums in this very friendly thread started by Pukunui!

Lost Mine of Phandelver: || Problems and Ideas with the adventure ||  Finding the Ghost of Neverwinter Wood ||

Giving classes iconic abilities that don't break the game: Ramzour's Class Defining Ability system.

E-Tallitnics wrote:

Stay tuned…

What should they say beside "Guys, spend more $ each game day". Well, maybe they can see "OK, we convinced WotC to increase the price for D&D books to $400, that should help"

Mirtek wrote:
E-Tallitnics wrote:

Stay tuned…

What should they say beside "Guys, spend more $ each game day". Well, maybe they can see "OK, we convinced WotC to increase the price for D&D books to $400, that should help"

Well I think D&D purchases have gone way down hill in the past few years because support for 4e was mostly gone and people were playing other games. But NOW we have a brand new edition about to launch and the FLGS need to realize that this is a great opportunity to make a lot of money! They would be smart to be both friendly to us gamers and encourage more D&D players to come to their stores. If not, we'll just buy all of our books online and never come into the stores. 

So yeah, I think a little awareness (on their part) would help.

Ramzour wrote:
the FLGS need to realize that this is a great opportunity to make a lot of money!
But can they? Really?

Usually D&D players make one big initial purchase of the PHB for $40 and then play with that for months. Maybe buy one or two splatbooks inbetween, but nothing compared to what the average Warhammer gamer leaves in the shop to build and paint his armies.

D&D is a cheap hobby. That's good for us gamers but bad for the gaming stores and becomes bad for us gamers when the store has to divide his available table space according to what best enables to pay the rent

Really, just buying a pack of dice every game day, no matter how many you already have and how little you need even more, would go a step into making D&D tables more profitable for the shop. And of course showing up with your D&D books bought from Amazon should be a no go. Yeah, crazy how Amazon can provide you with this cool gaming space to hang out while selling the books with so much rebate and the gaming store can't. Hm, wait amazon doesn't provide that at all

Mirtek wrote:
Ramzour wrote:
the FLGS need to realize that this is a great opportunity to make a lot of money!

But can they? Really?

Usually D&D players make one big initial purchase of the PHB for $40 and then play with that for months. Maybe buy one or two splatbooks inbetween, but nothing compared to what the average Warhammer gamer leaves in the shop to build and paint his armies.

D&D is a cheap hobby. That's good for us gamers but bad for the gaming stores and becomes bad for us gamers when the store has to divide his available table space according to what best enables to pay the rent

Really, just buying a pack of dice every game day, no matter how many you already have and how little you need even more, would go a step into making D&D tables more profitable for the shop. And of course showing up with your D&D books bought from Amazon should be a no go. Yeah, crazy how Amazon can provide you with this cool gaming space to hang out while selling the books with so much rebate and the gaming store can't. Hm, wait amazon doesn't provide that at all

No offense, but I think that way of thinking is quite short-sighted...and exactly the same problematic way of thinking that plagues some gaming stores.

It's true that you COULD play forever in any system with just one or two core books. That's just the nature of TTRPGs and it's nothing new. The gaming store must acknowledge, accept, and adapt to their customers. There are tons of ways for the gaming store to make money off of D&D players. Selling cool sets of dice is one idea, as you mention. Another is having a reasonable membership fee to use the gaming spaces (which I am happy to pay!). What about refreshments? A D&D game lasts several hours and has half-a-dozen people at the table. They're going to get hungry and thirsty. Capitalize on that. Offer D&D tournaments to bring in more people. Who can build the most bad-ass character and fight in the FLGS's awesome battle arena? 

And none of that even includes the actual book purchases.

The more gamers you get into your store, the more money you will make. And most gamers ALSO play more than one game too, so they will be more likely to buy other products at your store.....if they feel welcome.

At least I buy all my books at an Flgs. As the one that did/does provide space for playing D&D is located in Belgium I by my books at exactly that store.

They were allways friendly and helpful, so I will buy all things at this very store including minis, Coca-Cola, coffee etc.

I guess this shows that friendlyness goes a long way towards making money for an Flgs.

Flgs only make money from the customer if they are foremost what the capital F is standing for: FRIENDLY!

As long as they suport the game I like and they stay friendly there is a good chance they will get more money from me.

If not, oh well there will allways be one Flgs meeting my standard. I will go and research and then...

A little bit of good will is a big step towards making this planet a better place

Ninjad by Ramzour!

A little bit of good will is a big step towards making this planet a better place

Wotc is going to pump out adventures for different length games and get people into stores again.

DSZ wrote:
At least I buy all my books at an Flgs. As the one that did/does provide space for playing D&D is located in Belgium I by my books at exactly that store.

They were allways friendly and helpful, so I will buy all things at this very store including minis, Coca-Cola, coffee etc.

I guess this shows that friendlyness goes a long way towards making money for an Flgs.

Flgs only make money from the customer if they are foremost what the capital F is standing for: FRIENDLY!

As long as they suport the game I like and they stay friendly there is a good chance they will get more money from me.

If not, oh well there will allways be one Flgs meeting my standard. I will go and research and then...

DSZ wrote:
Ninjad by Ramzour!

Here here! The F is the most important, for sure.

Ramzour wrote:
A D&D game lasts several hours and has half-a-dozen people at the table. They're going to get hungry and thirsty. Capitalize on that.
Yet the TCG and wargaming crowd is hungry and thirsty too and buys more gaming stuff at the same time.  There's limited space on prime time and as long as you have more applicants than you can handle, you serve the most profitable crowd

Mirtek wrote:
Ramzour wrote:
A D&D game lasts several hours and has half-a-dozen people at the table. They're going to get hungry and thirsty. Capitalize on that.

Yet the TCG and wargaming crowd is hungry and thirsty too and buys more gaming stuff at the same time.  There's limited space on prime time and as long as you have more applicants than you can handle, you serve the most profitable crowd

Or...OR....you could not turn away an entire genre of gamers. You turn away SOME of your card players to make room for TTRPG players. As a result, you don't lose customers and will make more money in the long run. And if the demand is really that high for card tournaments, then run an extra day for ones that missed the first one. Everyone wins and the store makes more money.

Mirtek wrote:

I agree with this sentiment.  I've often told gamers while in a store that if they don't support it the store won't last.   Needless to say they mostly don't listen.  I think gaming stores need to find alternate forms of revenue.   

One way is to sell food and drink.  I'd be okay if they even banned outside food and drink.   It doesn't have to be a fancy restaurant either.  Just offer drinks and frozen white castle burgers and stuff along those lines.   Have some microwaves where they can nuke it themselves.   

Offer special events where every person gets some pizza along with their D&D session and it costs x dollars.  

You also have to have the stuff.  I hate to go into a store and have them tell me they can order it for me.  Sure but why would I wait to pay more.  I came to you because I wanted it now and was willing to pay more for that privilege.   I realize you can't carry everything and inventory is risky.  I'm just saying that few think ordering through a middle man is a good idea.

You could also have some small rooms that are decked out really well.   White boards on every wall.  Stuff like that.  You could then rent those rooms.  Maybe your best customers who always buy through you get to use the rooms for free.

THIS ACCOUNT IS NOW CLOSED.  THE EMERIKOL ACCOUNT WITHOUT THE PERIOD AT THE END IS NOW ACTIVE AGAIN.  PLEASE DO NOT SEND MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT.  THEY WILL NOT BE SEEN.

Ramzour wrote:

E-Tallitnics wrote:

Stay tuned…

Their reply: "@DnD_AdvLeague: @ETallitnics Friday Night Magic, Wednesday Night D&D Adventurers League, theres room for both!"

To which several people commented that their FLGS booted Encounters in favor of Magic.

E-Tallitnics wrote:
Ramzour wrote:
E-Tallitnics wrote:

Stay tuned…

Their reply: "@DnD_AdvLeague: @ETallitnics Friday Night Magic, Wednesday Night D&D Adventurers League, theres room for both!"

To which several people commented that their FLGS booted Encounters in favor of Magic.

Yeah...WE already know there's room for both! It's convincing the FLGS of this.... oh well

Zardnaar wrote:

I use Amazon because there is no FLGS. If there was I think I would still use Amazon as paying double the US book price gets old fast. 

I always buy from FLGS, and have never paid over suggested retail. I also travel about 2 weeks per month for work and will hunt out FLGS where ever I am and purchase something, frequently some dice or the odd book that I don't have. I just like supporting the small local business and our hobby at large. 

Oh and I usually get great restaurant suggestions. 

I am trying, for the first time, to buy a D&D book from my local game store instead of Amazon - the Starter Set.  I thought if it goes well I might buy all the core D&D books from them.  It has not gone well so far.  I had to call four times to place the order as they kept telling me to call back another time.   They didn't know when the product would be released.  I told them I've seen on Wizards' website that it would be released to them (they are a Wizards Premier Network store) by July 3rd, and they just kept saying they haven't been briefed on this.  I placed an order with the store for the Starter Set anyway, after several failed attempts, and had to pay $20 in advance isntead of the $13 or so on Amazon, but I figured this item was cheap enough to be worth an experiment.  After Mike Mearls confirmed the D&D Basic rules would be available online on July 3rd as well, I called the store again this weekend to see if they could confirm when the product would be available.  The store simply repeated they don't have any info.  I told them Wizards of the Coast has confirmed premier network stores will have it available by July 3rd.  They said, "well, then, that's a whole month away, so we won't know anything for a long time."   I still have some hope they will actually have the product on or around July 3rd, and that possibly, maybe, they will actually place my order so I can pick one up around that time, but I certainly have no confidence this will happen.   If I get this from them in time I will cancel my Amazon preorder for the Starter Set, but I will have to think long and hard whether getting the other core books a couple of weeks early each is worth such aggravation and uncertainty, plus the inconvenience of having to physically go get the book from the store (it's a good ways away through nasty traffic).

zoroaster99 wrote:

If I get this from them in time I will cancel my Amazon preorder for the Starter Set, but I will have to think long and hard whether getting the other core books a couple of weeks early each is worth such aggravation and uncertainty, plus the inconvenience of having to physically go get the book from the store (it's a good ways away through nasty traffic).

I have to drive at least 50 minutes to get to any of my four "local" stores, and if during the week, it'll be through traffic (and maybe even on the weekend!). To put it succinctly, they all have various issues that make it difficult to drive all that distance, just to pay more money. It should be better in some way for me to give them my money. While I really agree with supporting the FLGS, I'm not going to do it "just because it's the right thing to do". If it's a pain to do it, like it was for zoroaster, what's the point?

-HM

Hollow_Man_42 wrote:

zoroaster99 wrote:

If I get this from them in time I will cancel my Amazon preorder for the Starter Set, but I will have to think long and hard whether getting the other core books a couple of weeks early each is worth such aggravation and uncertainty, plus the inconvenience of having to physically go get the book from the store (it's a good ways away through nasty traffic).

I have to drive at least 50 minutes to get to any of my four "local" stores, and if during the week, it'll be through traffic (and maybe even on the weekend!). To put it succinctly, they all have various issues that make it difficult to drive all that distance, just to pay more money. It should be better in some way for me to give them my money. While I really agree with supporting the FLGS, I'm not going to do it "just because it's the right thing to do". If it's a pain to do it, like it was for zoroaster, what's the point?

-HM

Yes, I am very fortunate to have three Wizards Play Network stores within 5 miles of my house. So I try to spread the wealth and support all three as well as the FLGS I visit on my travels. I realize this is not possible for everyone. So I do what I can.

Wick wrote:

Yes, I am very fortunate to have three Wizards Play Network stores within 5 miles of my house. So I try to spread the wealth and support all three as well as the FLGS I visit on my travels. I realize this is not possible for everyone. So I do what I can.

An example of the weirdness I was referring to:

I just looked up on Wizards site the Premiere stores, and one that's about 10 minutes from me popped up that I hadn't seen before. I went to their web site, and it says they're new, and that they're a LAN Center (which is odd, because I thought all those places died out years ago). Now while they also claim they do board games and Magic, I suspect at best they do Magic. They're open until the wee hours of the morning, so clearly they're catering to computer games, and there's no mention of any RPG stuff going on.

Another store within 20 minutes of me is cards and comics, so they're not dealing with board games or RPG, and the Premiere status is undoubtedly due to Magic.

So yeah, as near as I can tell, of the four I alluded to earlier, I know three are the only ones I'm confident that do anything close to what I like (because I've visited them). I'm not convinced any of them do D&D to a large degree though...when I've been there, it seems like Magic is driving their business. Which I udnerstand, because they have a right to make money, but I also have the right to say heck with it and have the books delivered to my house at 30-40% off...

-HM

Hollow_Man_42 wrote:

when I've been there, it seems like Magic is driving their business. Which I udnerstand, because they have a right to make money, but I also have the right to say heck with it and have the books delivered to my house at 30-40% off...

-HM

Yes, this is true for most FLGS I go to. The unfortunate reality is pen and paper RPG player are cheep and don't want to pay for much where as Magic (CCG) players will gladly drop $10+ on a few packs plus a tournament entry fee every weekend. Until we start spending our money we wont get the attention. Every time I go into the store I buy something, most of the time it is a small cheep item but something. That gets the owners attention! 

Hearing about all of these issue with local stores is quite disconcerting. I think these stores would be wise to not ignore their TTRPG gamers right before the release of D&D 5e. That would be a terrible move.

Wick wrote:

Yes, this is true for most FLGS I go to. The unfortunate reality is pen and paper RPG player are cheep and don't want to pay for much where as Magic (CCG) players will gladly drop $10+ on a few packs plus a tournament entry fee every weekend. Until we start spending our money we wont get the attention. Every time I go into the store I buy something, most of the time it is a small cheep item but something. That gets the owners attention! 

Yeah, I wish there was one close enough to me to do this. Then I'd be browsing on a regular basis, and I probably would buy something as well. But sadly, the fact is that none of these places are close enough to home or office for me to do it. This wasn't always the case, and hopefully there will be a swing back towards more stores soon.

-HM

Personally I think if you play a lot at the store you should show some loyalty.  If you just go there to buy and leave then honestly they should be treated like any other business.  I personally feel having a store that fosters games and provides a community space for gamers is worth helping out a little.  

Emerikol. wrote:

Personally I think if you play a lot at the store you should show some loyalty.  If you just go there to buy and leave then honestly they should be treated like any other business.  I personally feel having a store that fosters games and provides a community space for gamers is worth helping out a little.  

Well said and that is why the games I participate in or DM all take place in the FLGS. I do this for two reasons, it shows off the game (we regularly get folks observing after they have lost or won their CCG match). And It keep RPG activities in the minds of the store ownership. 

For the better part of the last year one of the owners of a FLGS that I frequent has been bad mouthing WotC and D&D in general, in favor of Pathfinder. However, when I was in last Sat. he was busy talking up 5th ed. and the fact that they were going to be getting things early. He was also putting together a pre-order/reservation list for the upcoming releases. Interesting how such a little (well not so little) thing has turned him around! 

Do you have a link to the text that says our WPN FLGS can indeed receive and sell these products before the standard release date?

Wick wrote:
Emerikol. wrote:

Well said and that is why the games I participate in or DM all take place in the FLGS. I do this for two reasons, it shows off the game (we regularly get folks observing after they have lost or won their CCG match). And It keep RPG activities in the minds of the store ownership. 

For the better part of the last year one of the owners of a FLGS that I frequent has been bad mouthing WotC and D&D in general, in favor of Pathfinder. However, when I was in last Sat. he was busy talking up 5th ed. and the fact that they were going to be getting things early. He was also putting together a pre-order/reservation list for the upcoming releases. Interesting how such a little (well not so little) thing has turned him around! 

Nice to hear some good news about FLGSs!

If they get the miniatures in the store, making sure you always buy a pack when you game there is a good way to show ongoing (after the initial book purchase) support.

We should have some online games through skype or something. I'd love to play with some of you guys. If y'all are ever passing through Memphis, I'll dust off my Gamma World tokens and make a night's entertainment.

(gamma world is the only game I can successfully DM; i'm too silly for anything else)

Paranoia

It's not paranoid if they really are out to get you, and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they ain't.

knightserpent wrote:

Do you have a link to the text that says our WPN FLGS can indeed receive and sell these products before the standard release date?

http://wpn.wizards.com/en/products/dungeons-dragons-starter-set

Look at the section that says: Early Release Date.

Magi_theKid wrote:

We should have some online games through skype or something. I'd love to play with some of you guys. If y'all are ever passing through Memphis, I'll dust off my Gamma World tokens and make a night's entertainment.

(gamma world is the only game I can successfully DM; i'm too silly for anything else)

Meh, sometimes a silly game is what's needed to break up the monotony of epic quests and such.

Have you ever played Paranoia, Teenagers from Outer Space, Toon, or various other intentionally silly games?

Azzy1974 wrote:

Magi_theKid wrote:

Meh, sometimes a silly game is what's needed to break up the monotony of epic quests and such.

Have you ever played Paranoia, Teenagers from Outer Space, Toon, or various other intentionally silly games?

It Came From the Late Late Late Show.  Awesome silly game. 

I might support my local shop but they make soo little money off of TTRGPs anyway that I really don't support them when I try to support them.  If I was into comic books, card games, and models, I would probably spend more duckets there.  I tell them I ordered the starter set and the PHB online and if the MM and DMG look good I will buy it from the shop I told them. 

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Sign In to post comments