One Edition to Rule Them All...

All for one edition... and one edition for all!

The edition for the many outweighs the editions for the few. 

Half 3E. Half 4E. Better than both.

Me fifth edition... supreme edition... me entertain you.

Fifth edition is gold, Jerry! Gold!

Unite the players! Unite them! 

Where there is life there is hope... But for the truly faithful there is always hope, and it is not determined by either death or life." -- Tleilaxu Master Scytale.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Is it wrong that my main concern with this is the "Half 4E"

Now there is some 4E in there, subtly disguised, hidden within the math and under different names.

I still think the edition will turn out well though and make an absolute bucket o' cash at launch even if Hasbro don't consider this a big enough profit margin.

Though I am starting to feel ashamed now for posting in a topic which is basically cheesy quotes.
*Goes in to check the forum and found this thread*

Yup, I know where this is going.

I would say 5e is the best edition, but I was disappointed with the last packet.
I am going to need to wait til the last packet before passing judgement.  
Are you not entertained [by this edition] !?
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
...is not what Next will achieve.

(I assumed the thread title needed completion)
Keep dreaming.
doesnt that phrase end with "And in the darkness bind them."
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Azg-burzum-ishi Krimpatûl!
You are not prepared [for this edition]!
One does not simply be nearly prepared enough to handle the truth about the Twinkie of this edition.
The edition is coming.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
Sean Connery voice: "There can be only one!"
"What if I told you an edition could unite all D&D players?" -- Morpheus

"I want to believe." -- a poster on a wall in an office somewhere 

Tornado Party: a roleplaying game theory blog

Systems ran: 2e, 3.5e, nWoD, cWoD, SW (West End)

Systems played: 2e, nWoD, cWoD, MET, Ironclaw, Rifts, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun

Entirely too many serious minded people in these forums. Glad some people got it.  Tongue Out

Now more levity!

“One edition, one player base . . .
Let’s get Next and feel all right”

"The first rule about Next is that you do not gripe about NEXT.
The second rule about Next is that you DO NOT gripe about Next!" 

"There are only two forces that unite players: advantage and disadvantage."

"And now here's an edition we hope you'll really like."

"Love, friendship, and respect do not unite players as much as a common hatred for Next."

"I'm going to make them an edition they can't refuse."

"If we build it, they will play it."

"I love the smell of Next in the morning."

"There's no crying in Next!" 

Where there is life there is hope... But for the truly faithful there is always hope, and it is not determined by either death or life." -- Tleilaxu Master Scytale.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Unite the playerbase... Unite the world
Once upon a time there were four little editions.

The first little edition is now a ratty, tattered mutant that smells a bit of spit up and urine, but it was our first, there from birth and we still look at it fondly for it introduced us to simple pleasures. 

The second little edition gave us the glowing tummy to comfort us in the dark and provide enough light to find the candy we stashed at Halloween and Easter. It seems archaic because, well, it is, but we still look at it fondly because somehow we still have a functioning pancreas. 

The third little edition was something new, and it was made by a new company. It was like a Mister Potatohead with a rocket engine. Sure, it blew up after a while but until it did we could fiddle with it to our hearts content and remember it fondly.

The fourth little edition didn't blow up like the third little edition and all the parts actually worked. Some people didn't like that though as they were used to being the ones with the working parts. Still, it is remembered fondly because it was finally the toy many of us wanted.

Then came the Nextikin. It wasn't going to be called teh fifth little edition because the Big Bad Marketingwolf thought that was a bad idea. It tried to engender all those fond memories of teh four little editions but so far it's Frankenwhitebread.  Maybe someday it will be fully developed and we can develop fond memories of it too.
"Ask not what [this edition] can do for you, but what you can do for [this edition]."

"Here we are Next, entertain us."

Also perfect opportunity for someone to make use of the, "I Have a Dream" speach.

NEXT, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you my friend will see
You've got a friend in me
(You've got a friend in me)

NEXT, you're always running here and there
(Here and there)
You feel you're not wanted anywhere
(Anywhere)
If you ever look behind
And don't like what you find
There's something you should know
You've got a place to go
(You've got a place to go)

I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"

NEXT, most people would turn you away
I don't listen to a word they say
They don't see you as I do
I wish they would try to
I'm sure they'd think again
If they had a friend like Ben
(A friend)
Like NEXT
(Like NEXT)
Like NEXT
You Learn Something New Every Day!
Very funny thread.  Bravo.

D&DNext...go ahead, make my day.

Here's looking at you, Next.

WotC, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a Next.
Personal opinion...

By your editions combined, I am D&D Next!  The Edition is yours!

Laughing   

All around helpful simian

You see, it will be a great success!
I roll dice with a little help from my friends...
I play Next with a little help from my friends...

Its D&D for everybody!
I need an edition to love.
Will it please anybody?
I want an edition to love.   

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of any failed saving throw, including but not limited to petrification, poison, death magic, dragon breath, spells, or vorpal sword-related decapitations.

You want to play DnD Next?

You cant handle DnD Next!

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
KHAAANNNN, I mean NEEEXTTT!
Hello, My name is D&DNext! You killed my father...
"Why are you just standing there, you idiot? I'm not speaking English am I? Wouldn't it make sense to find someone who could talk to me so you could find the person that set me on fire, perhaps? He is the Devil.
You've never seen anyone like Keyser Soze in all your miserable life you idiot. Keyser Soze. Do you at least understand that? Keyser Soze. The Devil himself. Or are you American policemen so stupid that you haven't even heard of him? Keyser Soze, you ridiculous man. KEYSER SOZE!"

Guess who plays D&D Next? We should round some of these guys up.
One thing is clear, D&D Next will deliver on quality.  The latest publication, Murder in Baldur's Gate, is really high quality.  The new game shows intelligence and maturity.
One edition to rule them all.

One edition to find them.

One edition to anger the players.

And in edition wars forever divide them. 
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
Once upon a time there were four little editions.

The first little edition is now a ratty, tattered mutant that smells a bit of spit up and urine, but it was our first, there from birth and we still look at it fondly for it introduced us to simple pleasures. 

The second little edition gave us the glowing tummy to comfort us in the dark and provide enough light to find the candy we stashed at Halloween and Easter. It seems archaic because, well, it is, but we still look at it fondly because somehow we still have a functioning pancreas. 

The third little edition was something new, and it was made by a new company. It was like a Mister Potatohead with a rocket engine. Sure, it blew up after a while but until it did we could fiddle with it to our hearts content and remember it fondly.

The fourth little edition didn't blow up like the third little edition and all the parts actually worked. Some people didn't like that though as they were used to being the ones with the working parts. Still, it is remembered fondly because it was finally the toy many of us wanted.

Then came the Nextikin. It wasn't going to be called teh fifth little edition because the Big Bad Marketingwolf thought that was a bad idea. It tried to engender all those fond memories of teh four little editions but so far it's Frankenwhitebread.  Maybe someday it will be fully developed and we can develop fond memories of it too.

I lolled. Too true.

People assume that editions are a strict progression from traditional to modern, but *actually* from a non-edition waring, non-subjective viewpoint - Next is more like a big ball of advantagey disadvantagey... next-y wext-y... stuff.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

One edition to rule them all.

One edition to find them.

One edition to anger the players.

And in edition wars forever divide them. 

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Two editions diverged in the fandom-hood,
And sorry I could not play in both
And be one character, long I stood
And read through one as well as I could
To where it fell to the bloated growth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was mathy and needed care,
Though as for that the writing there
Had made them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
With rules broken well out of whack.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two games diverged in a store, and I,
I took the one none thought to try,
And that has made all the difference

(appologies to Robert Frost)

Edit: None of this is intended to be realistic. "none thought to try" was the only thing I could come up with that fit both rhyme and meter, even though it doesn't really fit any editions. No edition warring, please.