Dungeons and Dragons Next Campaign setting will be???

I hope that D&D next will NOT be using Forgotten Realms as the campaign settingFrown They should update a classic like The World of Greyhawk or Mystara for the next campaign setting. Forgotten Realms is sooooooo played out.Cry

Considering that they have announced and even released 5e FR stuff already, I would say you can quit hoping.
I hope that D&D next will NOT be using Forgotten Realms as the campaign settingFrown 

Um, The Sundering suggests otherwise.  Sorry.
They have made reference to top 5 settings during a Gen Con seminar, and i hope Greyhawk is one of them.

My Hope would be for;

1. Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk
3. Eberron
4. Dragonlance
5. Darksun

Extras

Nentir Vale or Mystara as default setting
Spelljammer multiverse + Planescape (Sigil) as Manual of the Plane expansion
Ravenloft Demiplane as Shadowfell expansion
Al-Quadim as Forgotten Realms expansion
Maztica as Forgotten Realms expansion
Kara-tur as Forgotten Realms expansion

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Not really sure what you mean by next setting but the Forgotten Realms will be featured. It might possibly be the first prominent setting detailed in Next, like it was with 4E.

Further, with all the talk about "the Sundering" and fixing ( ) the Forgotten Realms Im almost positive its going to be a heavily supported setting.
They have made reference to top 5 settings during a Gen Con seminar, and i hope Greyhawk is one of them.

My Hope would be for;

1. Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk
3. Eberron
4. Dragonlance
5. Darksun

Extras

I always use my own worlds though I often buy other settings for ideas.   I give a shout out for Mystara.

I hope they leave specific setting details out of he core books (leave deities generic, etc.). I almost always use my homebrew setting.

Veteran of The Transfer... Add 700 to my post count... 

I hope they leave specific setting details out of he core books (leave deities generic, etc.). I almost always use my homebrew setting.

+1.  One of the great things about AD&D modules was that you could plop them down anywhere.
I don't really know if there should be a core campaign setting. Maybe a default one. However I would like to see some settings as Planescape, Nerath (with its own cosmology), Dark Sun, Eberron, Greyhawk, Spelljammer etc. To be fair, the most important for me is Nerath, reaching the status of being a possibly deal breaker that may be already broken.

Oh and please drop the "One cosmology to rule them all". Jut give the setting flexibility to each have its own cosmology. Planescape is good but is Planescape, not every other setting. Making Nerath using Planescape cosmology would be completely terrible.

Edit: Added Spelljammer.
Spelljammer, obviously.
I don't want any default setting.

PHB should be setting neutral.
Clerics should have general domains, not gods.
No reference at all to the cosmology.
Races and sub-races have generic "forest' or "mountain" discriptions.
DMG should have guidlines for building your own world.
.... think that's it really...

FR as the first setting is likely though.   Also likely that it's released as part of a set.
Clerics sub-classes in the FR book can have specific gods.
You can referecne cosmology.
You can reference where specific sub-races live.
Maybe a few wizard/fighter sub-classes as well.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

If WotC wanted 5ed's flavour to reflect its projected modular nature, the campaign worlds should also be modular. A good mix of Faerun, Oerth, Mystara, Nerath, Eberron, Athas, and the rest. Give everyone the options they want.

Instead we're getting lots and lots of Forgotten Realms, with the same characters and places from the '80s. So, yes, the flavour will mirror the mechanics. 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

They announced a LONG time ago that there will be no default/core Setting for Next. It's assume you will make your own or use the settings they republish.

FR will be the first supported Setting, but others are in planning. Likely Eberron will be the 2nd setting, but that's conjecture.
They announced a LONG time ago that there will be no default/core Setting for Next. It's assume you will make your own or use the settings they republish.

Link?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Forgotten Realms seems like the flagship setting they've chosen to default to, so...yea.

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, "Are you really sure?"

i think it will be safe to assume that the settings will be published in the order of
previous sales figures.

check out the Homebrew Campaign Setting i'm working on, my customised character sheet for the final package, and a numbered index for all the bestiaries.

Forgotten Realms seems like the flagship setting they've chosen to default to, so...yea.

But it's not the "default" setting as there will be none.

(which, while technically probably true is also just marketing speak for we're going to shove it down your throats like nothing else but then tell you it's not really) 

I have had all I can stand of the Forgotten Realms.  I for one wish they were refogotten.  I don't think the core books should have any setting to them and everything is setting neutral.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/26.jpg)

+1.  One of the great things about AD&D modules was that you could plop them down anywhere.

The forgotten realsm will be the first 5th campaign setting to be published.
But they will try to keep the core books setting nutral, a example of this is seen in the cleric moving from chosing a god to chosing a domain. 
This way they can avoid using setting specific/named gods in the player handbook.

I have had all I can stand of the Forgotten Realms.  I for one wish they were refogotten.  I don't think the core books should have any setting to them and everything is setting neutral.

I'm not an FR fan either.  The setting seems over-used to me.  I cannot deny the popularity of the setting or the fact that using it will target a wide audience.  I expect the choice in settings will be to target the widest audience, starting with a transparent core set of rules and the most popular settings released shortly afterwards, and not all at once.
Mystara!!!

My Hope would be for;

1. Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk
3. Eberron
4. Dragonlance
5. Darksun

Extras

Did they say which 5 settings they were? I ran a poll for a very long time that got quite a few votes and the top 10 are as follows:

1. Eberron (132)
2. Forgotten Realms (115)
3. Planescape (106)
4. Dark Sun (104)
5. Ravenloft (99)
6. Greyhawk (88)
7. Dragonlance (73)
8. Something Brand New (60)
9. Spelljammer (57)
10. Mystara (32)

I am curious how their top 5 compares with this list, if they announced them at all.
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?

My Hope would be for;

1. Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk
3. Eberron
4. Dragonlance
5. Darksun

Extras

Did they say which 5 settings they were? I ran a poll for a very long time that got quite a few votes and the top 10 are as follows:

1. Eberron (132)
3. Planescape (106)
4. Dark Sun (104)
5. Ravenloft (99)
6. Greyhawk (88)
7. Dragonlance (73)
9. Spelljammer (57)
10. Mystara (32)

I am curious how their top 5 compares with this list, if they announced them at all.

Keep in mind,  any poll you run here is going to suffer huge bias towards 4th edition,  if we ran the same poll on Dragonfoot,  Eberron would probably be close to the bottom.  Unfortunately,  there's really no neutral ground where you can get a good sampling of the whole spectrum of players,  any forum is going to suffer bias towards one edition or another.

What would really be needed is a poll run here,  Pathfinder.com,  and Dragonfoot,  and then the results averaged out.    That would likely get you the full spectrum of players.
Eberron..and bring back Keith Baker!
for those that are sick of the realms, you should watch the fr roundtable at gen con. they are basically wiping the board clean, bringing back all the dead gods and removing the other planet so the setting will be refreshed and like it was at the begining. the gods will become something to awe again, you wont see a god in person after the sundering its cool how they were talking about it.

My Hope would be for;

1. Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk
3. Eberron
4. Dragonlance
5. Darksun

Extras

1. Eberron (132)
3. Planescape (106)
4. Dark Sun (104)
5. Ravenloft (99)
6. Greyhawk (88)
7. Dragonlance (73)
9. Spelljammer (57)
10. Mystara (32)

Keep in mind,  any poll you run here is going to suffer huge bias towards 4th edition,  if we ran the same poll on Dragonfoot,  Eberron would probably be close to the bottom.  Unfortunately,  there's really no neutral ground where you can get a good sampling of the whole spectrum of players,  any forum is going to suffer bias towards one edition or another.

What would really be needed is a poll run here,  Pathfinder.com,  and Dragonfoot,  and then the results averaged out.    That would likely get you the full spectrum of players.

I would imagine any poll on any site would contain certain biases, but the polls turned out far different than I expected. A lot of love was given to older editions, even some that only had official support in the older editions. Eberron, Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun are the only 3 that were in 4th edition to my knowledge, and they came into 1st, 2nd and 4th, respectively. Those three being in the top five was expected by me before I started.

However, what surprised the crap out of me was the support for the older editions. Planescape, at 3rd place, only existed officially in 2e. That's amazing! While it's my favorite setting of all time, I was shocked it did so well and never expected it to outdo my second favorite, Dragonlance. Boy was I wrong.

All of the settings that weren't in 4th are Planescape, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Spelljammer and Mystara. All of them had far more support before 3.0e than they did from 3.0e and after. Some of them had no support after 2e at all. I know a lot of them were mentioned here and there in other books, but that doesn't really count. Spelljammer and Planescape have been mentioned in Manuals of the Planes, but not much info is given about the integral parts of them and no campaign setting book has been released since 2e.

I certainly would like to see polls ran on other sites as well and compare them all. And I'm not disagreeing with you about 4th ed biases on these forums, but it is interesting that so much love was given to older edition games.
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
they have stated that all settings made wil have support, the core 5 will be run by wotc and the others will have a new open licence agreement like d20 did with a pdf shop where you can get content directly and maybe in paper form too. i love that idea everyone will get their settings made and in a way if they dont include dragonlance in the core 5 that would be ok with me because weiss and hickman did an awsome job with the support of their 3rd edition version.

My Hope would be for;

1. Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk
3. Eberron
4. Dragonlance
5. Darksun

Extras

1. Eberron (132)
3. Planescape (106)
4. Dark Sun (104)
5. Ravenloft (99)
6. Greyhawk (88)
7. Dragonlance (73)
9. Spelljammer (57)
10. Mystara (32)

I would imagine any poll on any site would contain certain biases, but the polls turned out far different than I expected. A lot of love was given to older editions, even some that only had official support in the older editions. Eberron, Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun are the only 3 that were in 4th edition to my knowledge, and they came into 1st, 2nd and 4th, respectively. Those three being in the top five was expected by me before I started.

However, what surprised the crap out of me was the support for the older editions. Planescape, at 3rd place, only existed officially in 2e. That's amazing! While it's my favorite setting of all time, I was shocked it did so well and never expected it to outdo my second favorite, Dragonlance. Boy was I wrong.

All of the settings that weren't in 4th are Planescape, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Spelljammer and Mystara. All of them had far more support before 3.0e than they did from 3.0e and after. Some of them had no support after 2e at all. I know a lot of them were mentioned here and there in other books, but that doesn't really count. Spelljammer and Planescape have been mentioned in Manuals of the Planes, but not much info is given about the integral parts of them and no campaign setting book has been released since 2e.

I certainly would like to see polls ran on other sites as well and compare them all. And I'm not disagreeing with you about 4th ed biases on these forums, but it is interesting that so much love was given to older edition games.

Enworld ranked them: Planescape, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Darksun, Eberron for the top 5.  www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1111-T...

Amazon top sellers were: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Eberron when I checked their best sellers for rpg game materials.  Those were buried in a lot of pathfinder products.

I wasn't the least bit surprised about your poll.  I woundn't exactly call it proof that Eberron is the most popular or anything, but I did know Eberron is popular.

My Hope would be for;

1. Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk
3. Eberron
4. Dragonlance
5. Darksun

Extras

1. Eberron (132)
3. Planescape (106)
4. Dark Sun (104)
5. Ravenloft (99)
6. Greyhawk (88)
7. Dragonlance (73)
9. Spelljammer (57)
10. Mystara (32)

Enworld ranked them: Planescape, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Darksun, Eberron for the top 5.  www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1111-T...

Amazon top sellers were: Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Eberron when I checked their best sellers for rpg game materials.  Those were buried in a lot of pathfinder products.

I wasn't the least bit surprised about your poll.  I woundn't exactly call it proof that Eberron is the most popular or anything, but I did know Eberron is popular.

i think that these polls while fun arent really a good indicator as some sites have more players of one edition than others. i think if they did a poll at dragonsfoot it would be fr, greyhawk, dragonlance, bcemi's known world with hollow world, and blackmoor

My Hope would be for;

1. Forgotten Realms
2. Greyhawk
3. Eberron
4. Dragonlance
5. Darksun

Extras

1. Eberron (132)
3. Planescape (106)
4. Dark Sun (104)
5. Ravenloft (99)
6. Greyhawk (88)
7. Dragonlance (73)
9. Spelljammer (57)
10. Mystara (32)

i think that these polls while fun arent really a good indicator as some sites have more players of one edition than others. i think if they did a poll at dragonsfoot it would be fr, greyhawk, dragonlance, bcemi's known world with hollow world, and blackmoor

Do the poll.  I'm betting getting poll results works better that guess at what those results might be.  ;)

I'm pretty sure wizards does know what's selling and what's popular no matter what we might find.
Interesting item of note: Dndclassics.com sells PDFs of six settings, and has things from each edition. The six settings are as follows:

Dark Sun, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Planescape, Ravenloft

All 6 of these were the top 6 games on both polls, and we suspect both polls have significantly different edition preferences. 
Interesting item of note: Dndclassics.com sells PDFs of six settings, and has things from each edition. The six settings are as follows:

All 6 of these were the top 6 games on both polls, and we suspect both polls have significantly different edition preferences. 

That's because I think those are the most popular settings, but I still wouldn't rule Dragonlance out of the running.  I think Dragonlance could easily be a contender.  Planescape and Ravenloft might just end up integrated into whatever.
It's much more important in my opinion that they release products for all of the settings than for any one to be "the official" setting.  They always recycle the campaign material from edition to edition, and I think they'd preserve continuity much better, and maintain support from the fanbase, with just continuing the settings.

Just release some "cool" stuff for FR, for instance.  Forget about designating it as "the setting".
Did they say which 5 settings they were?

Nope

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

That's because I think those are the most popular settings, but I still wouldn't rule Dragonlance out of the running.  I think Dragonlance could easily be a contender.  Planescape and Ravenloft might just end up integrated into whatever.

Interestingly, Dragonlance was 7th on both polls. I REALLY want to see it released as well. I like all the other settings in both poll's top 10, but Dragonlance would be my second favorite after Planescape. Both settings have such huge followings it will be weird to not see them published in Next with their design goals.

Personal opinion...

It should also be noted that there a number of Mystara/Known World products as well, they are just not branded as such as most of the BECMI adventures were set in the Known World.  The X and CM series modules in particular were quite rich with Known World lore.

All around helpful simian

I always use my own worlds though I often buy other settings for ideas.

I'm mostly in a similar boat in that I usually run my own worlds.  The only published settings I run are Ravenloft, Placescape, and Spelljammer (and those last two see more use as travel options than they do as fully used settings).

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Personal opinion...

It should also be noted that there a number of Mystara/Known World products as well, they are just not branded as such as most of the BECMI adventures were set in the Known World.  The X and CM series modules in particular were quite rich with Known World lore.

Isle of Dread really brough back some old memories when I saw it in the playtest material.  It's been a very long time since playing BECMI and I used to run a lot of the X series modules.

Personal opinion...

That's very interesting. I was not aware of that as my BECMI knowledge is lacking. I'll have to check those out!

My feeling in general about releasing books, both new for Next and also rereleasing the old books: the more the better.
I'm hoping for
Planescape (independent setting)
Ravenloft (Also independent)
Eberron
Dark Sun
Spelljammer

It looks like I'll probably get most of those sooner or later in 5e.

Hear hear!  I've been hoping for completely modular core since the day it was announced.  Vague cosmology (leave the rest to MotP), vague races (IE halfdragon, high elf, golem, etc...  leave the details to settings), domains for clerics (Gods belong in campaign settings)

I'm still hoping this will be the case.  I don't want any setting to infect others again.  If I want Planescape in my Realms, let ME put it in myself.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
The only campaign setting I want dndnext to support is Eberron. Granted, I am aware that others may have different preferences, but it is my favorite by far.