Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle: Who has it?

GenCon has been finished for a couple of days, and I haven't heard much from fans concerning this con-exclusive product. I saw some photos posted from the con on the interior, but I haven't heard anything from anybody else.

Who here bought GoDC? What do you think of it? If you were at GenCon, did you see people buying it? 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

There was a review here within the past few days.  Check this forums list for it.
They were selling copies at the WOTC bazaar as well as pre-orders picked up at the GaleForce9 booth.  After a day or two they were basically gone.

I played through the whole thing and am getting ready to run it for my home group.  Maybe.  They might want to do Murder in BG first and save GODC for when the final packet comes out. 
This thread was more of a sound-off, for people to proclaim that they own it. Apparently, not many forum goers were able to get it.

@ritorix: how large was the adventure? About 4 sessions? 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

No, it's definitely campaign-length.  We played for like 28 hours and only got to level 5 (and that may have been generous by the DM).  In the last few hours  of the con we set ourselves at level 8 for the final battle and finale.

For a home game it could be much longer.  There's a ton of side quests, NPCs and random encounters.  And most of those aren't just 'you see 5 orcs', but stuff like finding a washed-up pirate ship to explore.  

I realized once I'd gotten home on Monday that I'd forgotten to seek this out at the con (along with a few other things).
I was literly having too much fun gaming for 16 hrs/day to notice I'd missed things on my own shopping/to-do list. 
So.... I guess that makes it a great GenCon?

There is a fairly extensive review of it here: http://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=2078

Make me sad that I don't have it to be frank, almost went on ebay and baught it for 100$... :/

Warder 

My Ignore List: blacksheepcannibal

lokiare

englishlanguage

verdegris_sage

Polaris

Too bad they won't make copies available for those that didn't go to GenCon. I know some people that wanted to go but couldn't and they would have loved to get their hands on it.

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, sticking appendages in the mouth of a leering green devil face, accepting a dinner invitation from bugbears, storming the feast hall of a hill giant steading, angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, "Are you really sure?"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/13.jpg)

Too bad they won't make copies available for those that didn't go to GenCon. I know some people that wanted to go but couldn't and they would have loved to get their hands on it.

Well, it's a collector product, the fact that it scarce makes it valuable.

Warder 

My Ignore List: blacksheepcannibal

lokiare

englishlanguage

verdegris_sage

Polaris

I preordered and got my copy at Gencon.  While they did appear to sell out by the end of the show, there were plenty of copies to be had, preordering wasn't necessary.  I have read through about half of it and have found it to be a well textured adventure. i am putting a group together to play it in the next couple of weeks.  We will see how it goes. 
I would have preferred giving my money to WotC to get this adventure.  Alas, I'll have to use "second-hand markets."
I came home with five copies, but I haven't had a chance to read through it yet. A few of my local gaming friends expressed interest so I made sure to procure the extras necessary. There were 3000 printed copies but only 781 were pre-ordered so there was a good supply at the Con if you wanted one.

If you want a Con exclusive, then go to the Con or at least find someone reliable who is. Lord, I hate people whining about not getting a Con exclusive when they don't go to the Con.
I came home with five copies, but I haven't had a chance to read through it yet. A few of my local gaming friends expressed interest so I made sure to procure the extras necessary. There were 3000 printed copies but only 781 were pre-ordered so there was a good supply at the Con if you wanted one.

If you want a Con exclusive, then go to the Con or at least find someone reliable who is. Lord, I hate people whining about not getting a Con exclusive when they don't go to the Con.

Some of us don't live in America.Wink
There is a fairly extensive review of it here: http://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=2078

Make me sad that I don't have it to be frank, almost went on ebay and baught it for 100$... :/

Warder 

You should be able to get it for significantly less than that. That's what I did. And I'm pretty sure I paid more than I would have had to if I had been a little more patient. 

There are these things called airplanes you may have heard of? The gal in the hotel room next to us was from London, I sat next to a guy from New Zealand in a game, another guy I saw was from Croatia, etc., etc. If it's that much of a priority, save up and make the trip.  
The book has decent production values for the most part.  I think the inclusion of some of the old black and white art was fantastic and there are some funny jokes sprinkled throughout the book.  The rules section of the book is worthless in my opinion (mainly because of the changing nature of the rules set).  The adventures themselves are meaty though.  I suppose you could run them as four seperate adventures but it's better to use this book as a campaign.  It's suppose to take a group from 1st to 10th level but a good GM can easily get more out of material here while still maintaining the overarching plot.  This can be done because there are plenty of intriguing story seeds planted throught the adventures that are not at all fleshed out.  I'll use one example:  Early on in the first adventure the PCs are in a dense swamp and they run accross a mysterious, half-destroyed sea vessel miles from the nearest coast.  The book offers no concrete answers as to the who, why or how of the ship which leaves plenty of room for a GM to improvise or construct an adventure.  Overall, I'm glad I picked this book up because it'll make a great early-to-midlevel campaign book for my playgroup who have been talking about starting with some new characters.

>SNIP<

You should be able to get it for significantly less than that. That's what I did. And I'm pretty sure I paid more than I would have had to if I had been a little more patient. 

Despite early auctions ending at 100+ US$, completed listings on eBay are already settling into the $60-70 range, with a very few at $50-some. Given the current trend, I wouldn't be surprised to see random copies go here and there for $50 (or a tad less) over the coming weeks -- if nothing else, there's always an auction or two that get lost in the shuffle surrounding a hot item like GoDC.
This community is awesome! I was able to buy an extra copy from one of the D&D community member  and ship it to me in Montreal! Having playtested the adventure a few months ago, i can say we had a blast and that Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle a good mini-campaign that can give groups many hours of fun. We found it was more railroady than Murder In Baldur's Gate though, but still very good, with neat quests, NPCs, locations and magic items. The Daggerford area section reminds me a lot of the AD&D supplement Under Illfarn.

Again, TBSS, why should they make it available to everyone? It defeats the purpose. The reason they have products like this is to help draw people to the Con.

It's like all the people whining about the Doctor Who 50th Trailer that was a ComiCon exclusive. Sure, I'd have loved to see it but ComiCon isn't my thing so I didn't go. That's on me, not the Beeb.
This community is awesome! I was able to buy an extra copy from one of the D&D community member  and ship it to me in Montreal! Having playtested the adventure a few months ago, i can say we had a blast and that Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle a good mini-campaign that can give groups many hours of fun. We found it was more railroady than Murder In Baldur's Gate though, but still very good, with neat quests, NPCs, locations and magic items. The Daggerford area section reminds me a lot of the AD&D supplement Under Illfarn.

Perfect!

Maybe I'm just weird, but I got copies for those that wanted them and asked rather than trying to grab some for a quick eBay buck. I'd like to think a lot of people are the same. 
Thanks to everyone who responded!
I'm glad to see that some forumites managed to get their hands on it, and that people are happy with their product. 

Again, TBSS, why should they make it available to everyone? It defeats the purpose. The reason they have products like this is to help draw people to the Con.

That sounds like the argument for not selling the Encounters adventures. ;) Oh WotC, your left hand doth not know what thy right hand doeth...

There are these things called airplanes you may have heard of? The gal in the hotel room next to us was from London, I sat next to a guy from New Zealand in a game, another guy I saw was from Croatia, etc., etc. If it's that much of a priority, save up and make the trip.  

Yes I am sure people who have much bigger incomes than me can afford to go on the short notice that WOTC gave us with this book, I don't. Plus I have a big fear of flying so short of doing a Mr T on me I cannot fly.
To be honest it is not the adventure I have an issue with myself, it is the lore inside on Daggerford, after the 4th ED disaster of the Realms we have been drip fed new lore, then WOTC anounce this new book with new lore inside but it's limited edition and only available at GEN Con why do people who can travel that distance and afford it have access to that lore, why not a PDF  in Dragon magazine? I don't feel that is an unfair request from people like myself.
Yes I am sure people who have much bigger incomes than me can afford to go on the short notice that WOTC gave us with this book, I don't.

Then get a better job or learn to save. It's not like we don't know the Gen Con dates for the next seven years. Like it or not, money talks and businesses are out to make money, not be our friends. One of the ways they do it is through startegic/target marketing. 

Plus I have a big fear of flying so short of doing a Mr T on me I cannot fly.

Either face the fear and break through or don't get upset when you miss stuff you need to fly for. FTR I hate it too. My ears don't pop and landing is extremely painful. But sometimes it's what one needs to do. There was no other way for me to get to Eurpoe in under a week, for example.

To be honest it is not the adventure I have an issue with myself, it is the lore inside on Daggerford, after the 4th ED disaster of the Realms we have been drip fed new lore, then WOTC anounce this new book with new lore inside but it's limited edition and only available at GEN Con why do people who can travel that distance and afford it have access to that lore, why not a PDF  in Dragon magazine? I don't feel that is an unfair request from people like myself.

"People like yourself" aren't entitled to everything you want. No one is. Everything material in this world is for "people who can afford it". They have Con exclusive content for a reason. It may seem cold (and in some ways I'd even agree) but I'm also good with people who go out of their way and make the effort getting a benefit also. 
I'm glad to see that some forumites managed to get their hands on it, and that people are happy with their product. 

That sounds like the argument for not selling the Encounters adventures. ;) Oh WotC, your left hand doth not know what thy right hand doeth...

Murder in Baldur's gate is the first time they're doing this and I'm thinking it might be an experimental product as well. It's actually a full module and has conversions for 3E, 4E and Next. I picked up a copy at Gen Con also, though again I haven't had a chance to read it yet. If they actually understand that a large number won't convert to next but still want to sell them product, one good module with conversion stat blocks is a good way to try and make some more money on that product than from just the Next players.
Yes I am sure people who have much bigger incomes than me can afford to go on the short notice that WOTC gave us with this book, I don't.

Then get a better job or learn to save. It's not like we don't know the Gen Con dates for the next seven years. Like it or not, money talks and businesses are out to make money, not be our friends. One of the ways they do it is through startegic/target marketing. 

Either face the fear and break through or don't get upset when you miss stuff you need to fly for. FTR I hate it too. My ears don't pop and landing is extremely painful. But sometimes it's what one needs to do. There was no other way for me to get to Eurpoe in under a week, for example.

"People like yourself" aren't entitled to everything you want. No one is. Everything material in this world is for "people who can afford it". They have Con exclusive content for a reason. It may seem cold (and in some ways I'd even agree) but I'm also good with people who go out of their way and make the effort getting a benefit also. 

Please stop patonising me you have done it twice now, it's very rude, I am not a half wit but you need to learn some manners, you have no right to tell me to "Either face the fear and break through or don't get upset when you miss stuff" if you have met someone who has a genuine phobia to something you would not be saying this to them actually it is

Normal

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

precisely

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}

the wrong thing to say hence why I am upset, I have a friend who is terrified of birds and I would never think of saying such a thing when she runs off screaming because one has got into a room.
I don't consider myself entitled to anything and I never said I was, I simply have a request which I feel is fair, I don't except them to follow it, I understand basic buisness but I have the right to request it. If people don't ask for things nothing gets made and companies miss out on other ways to make money, I wouldn't be getting it for free either I have a DDI account but if they don't I could get a PDF

Normal

illegally

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable

and not pay a penny, I would rather give WOTC my money and I am sure they would like to

Normal

receive

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable

it, by making a PDF we both get our wishes.
Removed personal attacks, some baiting - both of which are against the Code of Conduct.

company.wizards.com/conduct

The "Encounters" folks still get perks,  I hear. Not sure what it adds up to. Heard something about fancy dice; anything beyond that? I don't know.

I live in Western Canada, so pretty close. And going to GenCon last year cost me $1500 before I hit the dealer's room. And I picked a cheaper hotel and roomed with two other people. That's simply not something I can afford to do every year, not with a small child.
(Plus other expenses such as using vacation days, passport, food, luggage fees, dealing with the TSA, etc.)

A minority of gamers goes to GenCon. Having actual content as an exclusive is uncool. Because it's not just the book but four adventures, tied into the Realms and likely the Sundering event. We're missing out on the story.
While I think collectible items are a nice perk, it would be easy to limit these to alternate covers, repaints, dice, minis, and the like. Or make it a PDF. That let's everyone get the content but keeps the books collectible. 

As a final point, imagine if TSR had done Convention Exclusive. Former con "exclusives" would include the Slavers series, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Ghost Tower, Tomb of Horrors, and the Giants series. So a good chunk of the content WotC just reprinted. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Considering that WotC do not actually make any extra money on 'collectables' but they would by having a larger distribution it appears that they are not out to make money.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours

Two things.
One, they announced the book in late May if I recall. Well too late to realistically start planing a GenCon trip.  I went last year and got dice. They didn't warn me to start saving... 

Two, keeping the customer happy is good business. In many ways, they should be in it to make friends. The hobby is small and you want to support your fanbase and give them what they want, not just the lucky 0.5% that went to that particular GenCon. 
Every time they go head-to-head in the ENnies Paizo tromps D&D. The quality of the products is the same and both draw from the same pool of fans. But Paizo has a great relationship with their fanbase. 
This isn't to say Paizo doesn't so con exclusives. They have alternate covers, shot glasses, repainted minis, buttons, and other things. This year they had fun goblin masks. Really cool, and I'd love to have one, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on a part of the game by not getting a paper mask. I'm not missing out on lore, and story, and the world.

Please stop patonising me you have done it twice now, it's very rude, I am not a half wit but you need to learn some manners, you have no right to tell me to "Either face the fear and break through or don't get upset when you miss stuff" if you have met someone who has a genuine phobia to something you would not be saying this to them actually it is precisely the wrong thing to say hence why I am upset, I have a friend who is terrified of birds and I would never think of saying such a thing when she runs off screaming because one has got into a room.

It's not patronising, it's reality. I've dealt with people who have severe anxiety and depression as well as phobias. Getting to the point where one can break through that wall is a very big step, and an important one for them to get more enjoyment out of their lives. It's hard, nobody is saying otherwise, but it's what we strive for. For example, I have a family member who was terrified of flying and she got a great job that later became one that required her to fly all over the world to be on-site rather than work remotely. She had to find a way to break through the wall, and she did with help. She still gets nervous some times but she's developed skills to cope with it and feels more empowered because of it. She didn't have to give up a job she really enjoyed and now enjoys it even more as she gets to visit diverse countries/cultures.

I don't consider myself entitled to anything  never said I was, I simply have a request which I feel is fair, I don't except them to follow it, I understand basic buisness but I have the right to request it. If people don't ask for things nothing gets made and companies miss out on other ways to make money, I wouldn't be getting it for free either I have a DDI account but if they don't I could get a PDF illegally and not pay a penny, I would rather give WOTC my money and I am sure they would like to receive it, by making a PDF we both get our wishes.

Again, you're the epitome of feeling entitled while trying to find a cheap justification to feel you're not. Go to Gen Con or do without (or eBay if you are willing to pay extra). What you feel is "fair" is the entitlement part. You want access to something you didn't put in the required extra effort for as it was an incentive to go to Gen Con.  

One, they announced the book in late May if I recall. Well too late to realistically start planing a GenCon trip.  I went last year and got dice. They didn't warn me to start saving... 

Gen Con is the premier gaming convention and a big place for releases, information and promos. It always has been. When there's big changes we know are happening then it's pretty obvious if it's that important then you should get there.

Two, keeping the customer happy is good business. In many ways, they should be in it to make friends. The hobby is small and you want to support your fanbase and give them what they want, not just the lucky 0.5% that went to that particular GenCon.

It is, but it's also a balancing act. What kind of message does it send to say "thanks for shelling out to come to our special event and be part of a public experience we're trying to build. You know those cool exclusives we offered as incentive? Yeah, well they're really not and anyone can get them." 

Every time they go head-to-head in the ENnies Paizo tromps D&D. The quality of the products is the same and both draw from the same pool of fans. But Paizo has a great relationship with their fanbase. 

WotC shoots themselves in the foot a lot, nobody denies that, but Con exclusives don't fit that bill. Paizo also rides their coattails and can more easily look like the hero even when they're doing what's legally required rather than an act of "kindness". "They offer the rules for FREE!!!" Yeah, because they legally have to.

This isn't to say Paizo doesn't so con exclusives. They have alternate covers, shot glasses, repainted minis, buttons, and other things. This year they had fun goblin masks. Really cool, and I'd love to have one, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on a part of the game by not getting a paper mask. I'm not missing out on lore, and story, and the world.

You're not really missing out on anything. Anything important will be in the FRPG or whichever product they put out for the setting. You'll just have to wait for that product.
The designers interact with the fans at GEN CON, really from the whole gaming industry.
They do, and they run pretty hard while they're there. If you really like to game it's something everyone should do at least once. Heck, I'd much rather it still be in Milwaukee rather than Indianapolis but because I want to go I travel the extra distance to a city I care less for. These are the choices we make.

Again, I was got multiple copies as people had expressed interest in them. I'm not the only one who got them for others by any stretch either. I also picked up a board game for someone that hasn't been "released" yet. Sure, there are some people who just want to make a quick eBay buck, but I refuse to believe I'm some sort of Super Minority in getting things for friends that ask.  

Gen Con is the premier gaming convention and a big place for releases, information and promos. It always has been. When there's big changes we know are happening then it's pretty obvious if it's that important then you should get there.

WotC has not had a GenCon exclusive like this in... well, a really long time. So premier gaming convention or not, this was unexpected. 
And while GenCon is the premier gaming convention, this doesn't mean it's fully populated by D&D players. Card games, board games, tabletop games, war games, and non-D&D RPGs take up a large chunk of the audience.

50,000 people went to the last GenCon, which was record breaking. Compare that to the 150,000 playtesters of D&D Next. And the 3000 copies they printed of the book, suggesting how many they expected to sell. 
That's a tiny segment of the audience. 

It is, but it's also a balancing act. What kind of message does it send to say "thanks for shelling out to come to our special event and be part of a public experience we're trying to build. You know those cool exclusives we offered as incentive? Yeah, well they're really not and anyone can get them." 

Now, yes. But the fact they didn't even think about the nerd rage is a little telling. 
Really, if they released the adventures (but not the rest of the book) as free PDF adventures I don't think anyone who actually got the cool exclusive would be upset. (Especially as it's only a matter of time before someone scans the book and puts it online anyway.)

Plus, this is a bit of D&D history. The first 5th Edition product. And there's only 3000 and they're softcover. They're going to get lost and destroyed and vanish in number. We don't want this legacy item to vanish save for bad scans from some amateur's printer/scanner.

WotC shoots themselves in the foot a lot, nobody denies that, but Con exclusives don't fit that bill. Paizo also rides their coattails and can more easily look like the hero even when they're doing what's legally required rather than an act of "kindness". "They offer the rules for FREE!!!" Yeah, because they legally have to.

They're obliged to offer (most of) the Core rules for free but are no more obligated to offer the secondary rules than any other 3rd Party Publisher. They could easily declare most of their books the intellectual content of Paizo. Yet all their books are open.

You're not really missing out on anything. Anything important will be in the FRPG or whichever product they put out for the setting. You'll just have to wait for that product.

That remains to be seen. Maybe. But maybe not.

We haven't seen a lot of lore resulting from D&D Encounters and the Rise of the Underdark which was a BIG event for the Forgotten Realms. But the only way to get ahold of that major event in the recent Realms was to be one of the lucky few with a nearby store. There's not even any real information in the Forgotten Realms wiki.

The designers interact with the fans at GEN CON, really from the whole gaming industry.

The designers interact with 0.15% of the total fanbase at GenCon. It's not a very representational sample. 

That might be because not everyone can go. 

At the very least they should have a PDF available, so that way the adventure can still keep its collector's value of $3 when it finally goes on EBAY as a collectors item.

It would be smartest to put it on EBAY NOW.  Don't wait, it will never go up in value.  Like most game products.  Your lucky to get $70 for the rare Deities and Demigods.

I don't care about getting the physical copy, I care about getting the adventure.

Con exclusives are pretty stupid.  All I care to get is the physical adventure.

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!

Ok what about those that can't take time off from work for whatever reason?

Or those with Children that are too young?

Sometimes people have health issues?

Some people just can't afford it.

Do you have a sarcastic reply for those people as well?

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!

So make it available on PDF.  If it was a preview or an early release that is fine.  The DOctor Who trailer you mentioned?  WHo cares, the actual episode will be available whether you go to the con or not.

A whole adventure though?  They can make more money by selling it as a PDF.

For those that are not so fortunate to go to GENCON.

Then the elite can still have their fancy copy that will be worth thousands one day, and the plebians can have a simple PDF that will not encroach on the collectors value at all.

If it was a matter of waiting that would be fine.  According to Gale Force 9 they are not making it available at all.  That is the difference.

If it was going to be a later release, I could care less if someone gets it before me.

Murder in Baldur's gate is the first time they're doing this and I'm thinking it might be an experimental product as well. It's actually a full module and has conversions for 3E, 4E and Next. I picked up a copy at Gen Con also, though again I haven't had a chance to read it yet. If they actually understand that a large number won't convert to next but still want to sell them product, one good module with conversion stat blocks is a good way to try and make some more money on that product than from just the Next players.

My point was that the Encounters adventures were supposed to be incentives to get people to come out to the FLGS. It was "exclusive" for the local gaming store, meaning you couldn't get it if you don't go to your FLGS. 

GoDK is meant to be an exclusive for attendees of GenCon, presumably to reward the people who make it to the convention. It's exclusive to the con, meaning that you couldn't get it if you don't go to GenCon.   

I'm not sure there's a coherent marketing strategy going on here. On one hand, they're removing exclusivity perks for game store who promote D&D all year round; and on the other hand, they're giving exclusivity perks to one convention that promotes D&D for one weekend a year. If they were selling exclusive products at all the big cons (Origins, DragonCon, PAX), then it would at least be coherent (promoting conventions as a touchstone for the community). 

The most I can make sense out of it is that they want to stop giving away free adventures, and want to promote sales at conventions.   

Sign In to post comments