DDI Changing - No more Character Creator/Compendium support

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ok, so I just got the DDI is changing email letting me know that they are not going to update Character Creator or the Compandium anymore.   Here is a copy of what they sent

. DDI will remain available to those who still wish to access all the great 4th
Edition Magazines and Tools as part of the DDI subscription.
. Starting in March of 2014, the DDI tool set (Character Builder, Adventure
Tools and Compendium), will no longer be updated with new 4th Edition game
content.
. Existing issues of Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine will continue to be
offered for viewing.

Does anyone know if they are going to give us access to a D&D Next Character creator/compendium/etc?    Because right now I am pretty bummed out.  My whole reason for subscribing was for the creator and compendium.    The fact that they are going to simply stop supporting it makes me want to never buy from Wizards again via subscription...   and only by software that is complete and will run on my home machine so I don't loose access if I don't want to send them a yearly fee.

If they ARE going to give access to the new D&D Next stuff for the D&D Insider subsribers then I would be happy to keep my subscription going.

Has anyone seen any official word either way?

Boojum the brown bunny

They are stopping updates because the last new crunch will be in December.

If there aren't new rules, feats, powers, magic items, monsters, etc. there is nothing to continue updating.

At least they're giving us some advanced notice on this one.

It's because of stuff like this that I stoped playing.

To me this is a clear sign that DDI will not be "updated" to Next, but more likely be replaced with something new. This announcement and the magazines going on hiatus as well makes me think that they are ending the contract with whomever was maintaining and updating DDI related stuff. They'll keep the servers running until something important breaks, but to me it sounds like an End of Life announcement for DDI.

They might do something similar to DDI for Next if Next ends up being popular and making a profit, but given the signs I don't expect any of the current DDI to be part of that.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

*sigh*  I really don't feel like paying subscriber fee's for a game system they aren't updating content for anymore plus subscribers fee's for the new game system coming out.    I hope they either make the 4e stuff (character creator, compendium, etc) free or roll it into a D&D Next subscription so that you have still have access to the old 4e stuff as well as the new Next edition.

Boojum the brown bunny

This had always been my concern about the DDI.  What happens to the people that used it only to play fourth edition?  When the updates stop, it's a clear sign that the whole system will be taken down sooner or later.  Looks like it is time for all the subscribers to download the information as quickly as possible.

I don't really know what is going to happen to the tools after March 2014. If they will stay up, and just not get updates that is one thing. If they are going to be taken down...

For one thing, the rarity info is not even in the books. I bought the hardcopy books but with all the changes including rarity, errata etc, the books are not so useful, I have to go by the compendium. But you can't "download" the compendium. If they plan to take down everything but back issues of Dungeon and Dragon mag, then I don't want to renew even a 3 month subscription.

CENTER]IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)[/CENTER]

JodyJohnson wrote:

They are stopping updates because the last new crunch will be in December.

If there aren't new rules, feats, powers, magic items, monsters, etc. there is nothing to continue updating.

If that is what they mean by "not updating" then why wait till March? What "updates" will there be in January and February ?

I remember how the last "updates" to the offline tools went. They "updated" to being broken. Will the tools still be functional after March 2014? The wording of the email is contradictory unless you take the lack of updates as simply no more added content, which past form prevents me from doing. It sounds worryingly like "you can pay to use the tools but after March 2014, they won't be there."

CENTER]IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)[/CENTER]

They probably have a schedule for release of material to the builder. That schedule most likely goes out to March. They will be supporting it as long as there are subscribers. They just won’t be supporting it with new content. Now if the subscriber number drops below a threshold, they will probably shut it down.

I do hope they don’t make the next toolset (if they make one) as online only.

Ugg...  DDI subscription ended early December.  Seems silly to renew just to get December articles.  I do use the character builder as my players level up their characters, but $71.40 seems high for just that.  Would be more comfortable renewing if DDI insider is going to remain around in some form in second half of 2014.

So, for the past year, my subscription has been maintained solely because of the Character Builder and Compendium. I don't mind continuing to subscribe for access to a character builder and compendium. So, can anyone in the know let us (me) know: Will a 4e character builder be available via subscription beyond March?

Anyone else reading this: Does anyone know if an offline CB is accessible from anywhere?

Might have to send me an email to let me know: glenn (dot) peirce (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks!

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.

They have said yes it will be available. They just won't be adding anything to it.

As far as a free alternative, there is PCGen (http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php) that has been around for over a decade I believe. Looking at the front page it says support for 4E. I have not used it in a long time. But it did what it needed to, and was quite powerful from what I remember. I used it for 3E.

That's right.  It'll still be available to use, it just won't have any new stuff added to it.  "Support" and "updates" are two different things.  No updates =/= no support.

The original post from the email is quite clear.   The DDI & Tools WILL REMAIN AVAILABLE.  They will stop updating the 4th Edition, because they will, obviously, be dedicating all their support to developing new 5th Edition Tools and Content.  Why would they do anything else? 

The hand-wringing over the "shutdown" seems very telenovella.

Personally, I'm confused that they've been updating the Character Generator.  I just signed up, specifically because I wanted to generate characters with power cards and such.  I see endless options and crap that I don't want to use -- and sticking to the books you own is very difficult to do.  Partially because the Player Handbook's content has been negated by Essentials. Builds removed, powers renamed or changed.   The multiple personalities of Core 4th Edition is a stumbling block.  I scoured the printed character sheets for my alignment. Nope not there. I don't recall what I choose, since it is only online that all the details exist, but it doesn't print out. It does on the Essentials format.  I do recall that my Cleric of a GOOD deity was able to select an UNALIGNED alignment.  Something I thought wouldn't be allowed.  I purchased multiple Rituals components--they don't show up that I have enough for 2 rituals. So even creating a few low level characters I found frustrations and errors that I thought shouldn't be there.

Boonedale wrote:

It's because of stuff like this that I stoped playing.

Same. DDI lived with 4e. We had regular updates, new content, new rules, and a great tool for making characters. Then it all slowed; less content, the content was not as interesting, and the tools that came out to compliment the builder came out very delayed (open table or whatever it was called) and didnt work as well as other easy to find (and free) options on the net.

Wizards burnt its last bridge with me, they do not know how to properly handle a RPG. They basically created their main competitor because they couldnt manage Dragon Magazine (one of the best things ever about D&D was getting my monthly Dragon Magazine). The online version never compared!

And now with this..well whats the point? What are you paying for? 5th edition content? Get out of here! Sorry but it looks terrible even this far along...