The End of DDI?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Now I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but Chris' comments from Dragon 427 has left me wondering. He mentions about what form(s) should Dragon and Dungeon take. This is aimed at either printed, digital, or both. If they decide to go with just printed then they could quietly decide to end DDI.  See, I think 4E fans are a thorn in the side for WotC's plans for D&D Next and the so called unification of the fan base (cough, cough Paizo).  I don't think they want 4E hold outs like there were 3E hold outs with Paizo. Plus, DDI tools is all we have left as there's no Paizo for us to lifeline to.

 

 

Plus- Chris asked how much D&D content should the magazines publish.  That is a head scratcher because what else would Dragon and Dungeon publish?  I'm thinking they might go to a printed format and fatten out the magazines with MMO, board games, G.I. Joe, Legos and other such stuff.

 

 

*disclaimer- now Chris has been grumpy a bit lately. So- I'm not grumbling about any written material that I have slaved away on (ugh- as if I would bother trying to get into the biz of RPGs) and nurturing feelings of betrayal at the hands of WotC by the dealings of going dark, breaking bad, and fading to black. 

hunterian7 wrote:

Now I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy but Chris' comments from Dragon 427 has left me wondering. He mentions about what form(s) should Dragon and Dungeon take. This is aimed at either printed, digital, or both. If they decide to go with just printed then they could quietly decide to end DDI.  See, I think 4E fans are a thorn in the side for WotC's plans for D&D Next and the so called unification of the fan base (cough, cough Paizo).  I don't think they want 4E hold outs like there were 3E hold outs with Paizo. Plus, DDI tools is all we have left as there's no Paizo for us to lifeline to.

I agree that 4E hold-outs are a difficult group to deal with as I (as a fan of 4E) have seen nothing in D&D Next that makes me want to buy it so far. DDI 4E support is certainly time-limited as all the signs point to Wizards trying to deliver a game with stretched resources (bare product schedule and recycled Encounters content in Dragon and Dungeon for example). Whether that means the end of DDI is another thing but you may have a point. DDI was hardly the success that they intended it to be for 4E and the attempt to appeal to grognards (I'm also one of them btw) may dissuade them from committing resources to electronic content and tools that are doomed never to meet expectations.

I disagree that we don't have Paizo to lifeline to as I've been using Paizo content throughout 4E and now am spending the money I used to spend on Wizards books with them. It's all convertible relatively easily (if someone else out there hasn't already done it).

hunterian7 wrote:

Plus- Chris asked how much D&D content should the magazines publish.  That is a head scratcher because what else would Dragon and Dungeon publish?  I'm thinking they might go to a printed format and fatten out the magazines with MMO, board games, G.I. Joe, Legos and other such stuff.

Did not really notice this part of the editorial but that is interesting and would be disappointing. Dragon and Dungeon should be about D&D principally and RPGs entirely. To change that would, to my mind, put off fans of the mags as they used to be. That said, maybe there are internal wranglings with Hasbro that mean the mags may have to support other content in order to receive an amount of resource that makes them viable as publications. Who knows, really, and sadly I am finding myself caring less and less. I can't really see me supporting D&D with my hard-earned cash past December when the magazines go on "hiatus" (sadly the Battle of Emridy Meadows trail in the last playtest announcement has tempted me to renew for the last three months).

PS. The new forums put previews of my forum posts in illegible white text. Somebody should really fix that.

hunterian7 wrote:

*disclaimer- now Chris has been grumpy a bit lately. So- I'm not grumbling about any written material that I have slaved away on (ugh- as if I would bother trying to get into the biz of RPGs) and nurturing feelings of betrayal at the hands of WotC by the dealings of going dark, breaking bad, and fading to black. 

Why do you think Chris Perkins has been grumpy a bit lately?  Surely not because of his recent completely justified (if unprofessional) response to a whiny and ridiculous forum complaint.

Yep- that would be the one.
Sign In to post comments