D&D 4e Online Tools

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi there,

 

How long will the D&D 4e online tools continue to be available after D&D Next is released?

 

Thanks!

WoTC didn't give any info on this yet.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

That one is gnawing at my heart... The online tools make 4th edition really easy to DM. Everything up to this point leads me to believe that 5th edition will not contemplate my playstyle - plugging off the 4e tools would be a severe blow to my 4th edition game :P.

I'm anxious to some kind of annoucement in the future, hopefully, for the best...

Are you threatening me master jedi? Dungeons & Dragons 4e Classic - The Dark Edition

Vinicius_Zoio wrote:

That one is gnawing at my heart... The online tools make 4th edition really easy to DM. Everything up to this point leads me to believe that 5th edition will not contemplate my playstyle - plugging off the 4e tools would be a severe blow to my 4th edition game :P.

I'm anxious to some kind of annoucement in the future, hopefully, for the best...

Me too. 
 

Yeah I'm there too.  

 

After all the other things WotC have done with DnDi (failure of promised goods, the horrible update schedule, and constant breaking of links wherever they update), the canning of the D & D magazines can only be solved one way: release the character builder and compendium as downloadable, computer-run entities.  Or at least give us the option to download and use the information in our own creations. The price point has been severely overinflated for the last year or two, but there's not a chance that I'm paying current prices to continue to use a poor, incomplete, and not updateable compendium / character builder.

 

WotC - please, you've messed us 4e fans around for long enough.  Just give us the tools, and we won't expect anything more from you...please?

My money is on that they quietly kill the 4th edition DDI tools as soon as D&D Next launches.

I would really miss them as well.  Sure they have their faults, but it so much easier than having to go through all of the various sources of power, feats, monsters, items, and such one at a time.

it's likely too good of a cash cow to kill completely

 

at least i hope so. but yeah, with the magazines basically dropping out of the DDI subscription content and no word of subscription price being changed, refunds, etc it does feel like they're working their customers over in a dubious manner.

 

especially when they don't tell you there aren't going to be any more magazines if you subscribe or renew. found that out the hard way...

adambomb76 wrote:

it's likely too good of a cash cow to kill completely

 

Even if it's making money, corporate politics aren't that simple.

 

If an old project is making X in profit each quarter, but if somebody thinks that by killing it they can get a new project to make >X more money per quarter, they'll kill it.  This would generally be because the old project is eating up a resource the new project needs such as man power or office space, or they might be worried that the two projects are competing with each other for the same customers.

That's not corporate politics; it's just opportunity cost.

Actually very early on Mike Mearls addressed this.  He said support for 4e would continue past the release of Next.  He didn't give any specifics about what that means, but there seems to be evidence in other areas of WotC business strategy that support for older editions of D&D will increase, or at the very least remain after the release of Next.  Now things may have changed since Mike made this statement, but we won't know for sure probably until after the new year .  It is my personal opinion based on what little evidence is available, that DDI may be expanded to include all past versions of D&D, at least as far as the CB and MB go.  I wouldn't expect much more in the way of new magazine content for past editions though.

 

YMMV

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Kalex_the_Omen wrote:

Actually very early on Mike Mearls addressed this.  He said support for 4e would continue past the release of Next.  He didn't give any specifics about what that means, but there seems to be evidence in other areas of WotC business strategy that support for older editions of D&D will increase, or at the very least remain after the release of Next.  Now things may have changed since Mike made this statement, but we won't know for sure probably until after the new year .  It is my personal opinion based on what little evidence is available, that DDI may be expanded to include all past versions of D&D, at least as far as the CB and MB go.  I wouldn't expect much more in the way of new magazine content for past editions though.

 

YMMV

 

Shortly after Mearls made this statement, a Wizards representative backpedalled and clarified that they "would like to continue to support the 4E tools after Next releases"