Dragon 426 Compilation

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D Insider ArticleDragon 426
Compilation

By Steve Winter, Adam Dray, Tim Eagon, David Noonan, Alexander Gersh and Ed Greenwood

D&D and mystery don’t mix—or do they? This month, tales of fantastic mystery, a library of useful locations, the improviser's cheat sheet -- plus, the courtier, the spy, and the vigilante added to your library of character themes.

Talk about this magazine here.

This is the most solid issue they've published in at least a year.  Not that much crunch, but all of it's flavorful, and some of it's also decent.  Articles of use, with good advice.

Well done. 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I don't know if I love or hate the fact that the Courtier Theme centers around giving you Advantage (DDN style) on Diplomacy rolls and then every feature thereafter is basically "instead of X, roll Diplomacy."  Seems a little one dimensional and my girlfriend was really hoping for more out of the theme.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

The Themes are great during non-combat interactions.

Also i look forward to Dragon 427 article on the Sundering by Ed Greenwood;

The Sundering:
To Rule Two Worlds
By Ed Greenwood
As Abeir and Toril move apart, there are a few
fell entities who seek to rule parts of both worlds,
and maintain (or create anew) linkages between
the two worlds so they can move back and
forth between them. A handful of heroes have
discovered these ambitious evils and seek to thwart
them, but they need help—and fast.

The Themes are great during non-combat interactions.

I guess, but as I said above, they are pretty one dimensional.  At least two of the themes were basically just a way to get Advantage even more on the brain as a setup for when we switch over to DDN next year. 

Like I said, telling someone "you get Advantage on Diplomacy rolls...oh, and all of your social skills are now actually just Diplomacy" isn't what I think of when I am looking to non-combat interaction.  It really just feels like they're pandering to that one person at everyone's table that loads up on a single skill and, now that they have a mighty skill hammer, tries to make every skill interaction a nail.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

By Steve Winter, Adan Dray, Tim Eagon, David Noonan, Alexander Gersh and Ed Greenwood

Adam Dray   =D
Adam Dray   =D

Oops sorry Adam, typo fixed  

Got a question for Alexander Gersh, the author of the Urban Intrigue themes, or one of the editors.

The Courtier's level 6 utility power Call for Capitulation says:

Trigger: You would make an Intimidate check to force an opponent to surrender.
Effect: In place of the Intimidate check, make a Diplomacy check with a DC equal to the target’s Will defense +5.

Should the monster still receive the +5/10 bonus to Will for being unfriendly/hostile?
Svendj -- I believe the wording is meant to indicate that the normal unfriendly/hostile modifier doesn't apply. The DC is a flat Will +5. Otherwise, this power would net you nothing. That's my read of it, anyway. I'll check with the developer when he's back in the office, but if I don't post any followup confirmation, assume this interpretation is correct.

Steve 

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Svendj -- I believe the wording is meant to indicate that the normal unfriendly/hostile modifier doesn't apply. The DC is a flat Will +5. Otherwise, this power would net you nothing. That's my read of it, anyway. I'll check with the developer when he's back in the office, but if I don't post any followup confirmation, assume this interpretation is correct.

Steve 

Thanks.  See this post and following for CharOp discussion of the rule as written, including my reasons for thinking (somewhat diffidently) that the bonus for being unfriendly / hostile doesn't apply.  Part of the issue is that the power seems too strong without the +10 bonus to Will DC but too weak with it.  Finding out the intention behind the rule would be useful too.
Thanks a lot for replying & checking!
Devo confirmed that the listed DC of Will +5 entirely replaces the (Will + hostility modifier) DC applied to Intimidate checks. 

Steve 

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Cool, thanks for checking!
Sign In to post comments