Monster Builder Beta feature requests and bugs/technical issues

206 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to encourage people to use the Monster Builder Beta bug submission form if you encounter any issues.

For those having problems installing the Monster Builder, you can also find some troublshooting tips here.

With the basics covered, I wanted to have one place where you could see the compiled list of feature requests and bug/technical issues that have been discussed on these forums. I don't want people to quibble too much on why something is a feature request or bug. I've taken a shot at putting them in the right place, but I'll let the DDI techs decide where things should end up.

Please feel free to reply to this thread with new requests or issues and I will continue to update the list.

Feature Requests
  • Add Images of the monsters in each entry.
  • Add the source for each monster, such as MM1, MM2, Dragon###, it it’s description. You can sort by source, but it doesn’t appear in the monster block.
  • Export Monsters to XML file.
  • Ability to import other people’s custom monsters.
  • More printing options, such as print multiple monsters per page, or print multiple monsters in column mode (people are aware of the export options, but would like these printing options fully integrated into Monster Builder).
  • Monster Templates, official and user created.
  • Give monsters class levels as well as raising their “monster level”
  • Ability to give monsters custom items.
  • Diseased included in Monster Stat Block.
  • Make it so you can simply hit enter when changing the level in the level filter instead of needing to click outside the box.
  • Make it so windows hotkeys work inside Monster Builder as well, such as CTRL-C and CTRL-V.
  • Collapse a monster while in the holding pen.
  • Drag and drop to the holding pen ieven if the holding pen is not opened/expanded. I.E. – drag the monster to the holding pen icon.
  • A section for Immunities is needed somewhere in the stat block – it doesn’t look right when added to the resistances.
  • Dice symbol for recharge powers to match what is in published monster stat blocks.
  • Range attack symbol on a power while it is in the creature design mode.
  • Should have “area burst” as a prefill option for attacks.
  • Keywords should be sorted alphabetically.
  • Pasting text into Mac Pages messes up the tables severely.
  • Swarm resistance – a resist entry needs to have a number, but swarms take half damage from melee and ranged attacks, not a specific number. The entry ends up looking like this: “Resist 5 half damage form melee and ranged attacks"
  • Powers from Custom Monsters should show up in the powers list.
  • Include Monster Fluff: Lore, description of the monster, terrain encountered in.
  • Space for users to add Fluff info.
  • Ability to add line breaks and italicized or bolded text.
  • Search for creature by weapon used.
  • Ability to search through monsters by power keyword. Example: look up poison breath attacks, and all creatures with poison breath attacks are listed.
  • NPC creation and stat blocks using the NPC rules found in the DMG.
  • Upload a CB file as a monster.
  • PHB powers added to be used as monster powers.
  • An aura dropdown to pick from existing monster auras.
  • Append a text descriptor to any field. Example: AC 29 (31 While shifting), Bloodied ## (see NNN power for bloodied effects)
  • Last 5 to 10 monsters viewed/edited list in the Monster Selection box.
  • The option to print Monster Knowledge and Lore DCs and results.
  • Hit point tracker with boxes that can be checked off. Example: http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=19158583&postcount=3
  • Ability to change the height/width of the stat block.
  • When downgrading a monster to a minion, the system should change the attacks to deal static damage instead of dice rolls.
  • Add general monster building guidelines as a tooltip-like feature.

Bugs & Technical Issues
  • During install when you get to the last screen where it says Finish there is a 'radial box', the box you normally check for an option. However, there is no text next to the box. It is just a random box floating there by itself.
  • Every time i try to remove a "Saving Throw" from my custom monster, the tool breaks.
  • If you cancel the update that installs the monster builder, it gives this message: "Update Failed. The update was not installed. Please click the button to launch the Character Builder."
  • If you add attack info and then remove it, it leaves behind a (); that doesn't get removed.
  • Blank lines when removing fields. Example: http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=19151333&postcount=12
  • Save to Rich Text not working on Vista 64. Unable to paste the rich text in programs such as notepad, wordpad, openoffice and web browsers.
  • Installation issues that cause the user to download the application at least twice.
  • Some instances of download issues with Vista.
  • McAfee fires off a warning targeted on Monster Builder: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225881
  • Blank space when you change a new power’s attack type to “None” http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225849
  • White text, not very visible, in Character Builder and Monster Builder: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225650
Trevor Kidd Community Manager
Additional suggestions found on the forums:

Jimmy_631: the option to print Monster Knowledge DCs and result and Lore DCs and resulsts along with the monster stats
AvonRekeas: switch the Attack Type to "None", the Sword icon disappears but there's still a bit of a blank indent in the text. I want that indent removed
G-man-IV: a drop down or ability to pick from a list of already existing Aura "powers". (auto populate data)
Feyberry: a way just to create a library[/list/filter] of [only] custom powers you can drag and drop onto monsters
Barvas: McAfee gives Malware warning on updater
TyrantLobe: make it easier to sort equipment
Lizard_SF: I would really like to be able to use the Monster Builder to create NPCs using the Monster Manual NPC stat blocks in the back, and the DMG rules for building NPCs
DocAquatic: able to sort attacks by keyword
Muktar: When you change [an existing monster's] secondary role to minion, it doesn't change their attacks to be static damage unless you create the power again. Same with dragging powers from another creature.
Avin: [Add General Monster Building guidelines as a Tooltip-like feature]
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Suggestion: Hit Point Tracker. What I do is put rows of boxes in, which equals the monsters bloodied hitpoints. I mark off as they take damage. When I get to the end, I know the monster is bloodied, and then start tracking back, and when I get to the end, the monster is dead.

IMAGE(http://www.glitchworks.com/Capture.JPG)

Also, I would like to be able to control the width of the stat block. I like to make mine the width that I can put two on a page next to each other. Like the stat block above.

I had mentioned also combining in a mini tracker, and someone from WoTC thought that was a great suggestion.
Suggestion: Hit Point Tracker. What I do is put rows of boxes in, which equals the monsters bloodied hitpoints. I mark off as they take damage. When I get to the end, I know the monster is bloodied, and then start tracking back, and when I get to the end, the monster is dead.

You nerfed your skeletons by 1 hp. >;]

Nice quick ref card. I did something very similar although I did it on a separate page from the stats. Now if only the miniatures said 1, 2, 3 on them too we'd be in all set...

And a bug/request: Sort the monster keyword combo list alphabetically.
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
I've updated the list with everything I've found/been shown up to this point. Thanks again for all the great feedback!
Trevor Kidd Community Manager
It'd be nice to be able to add text to specify when custom immediate powers occur in the title bar rather than the description text. For example here's the actual goblin tactics power and what you have to do to recreate it from scratch:

IMAGE(http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/Kamikazegerbil/goblinexample.jpg)

EDIT: Turns out you can already do this. *slaps forehead*
#1: Remove the obligatory text when adding resistance and vulnerability entries. Here's what I'm talking about: "Resist 5 Resistance necrotic". That extra word doesn't need to be there for most entries, and the spacing looks wrong when I just put a space in to keep it from putting Resistance in automatically.

#2: When entering equipment, it would be easier if we could type it in directly. This would also let us enter custom equipment such as named weapons in. The drop box is nice, but for fast typists who already know what they want to equip a character with, it's easier for us to just put it in than search through the list.
Desperately need the Preferences - > Zoom from the Character Builder in this app. The small font is difficult to see/read on high resolution monitors.
More areas to write custom ideas for lists. Like how Keywords and Languages allow custom ones. Specifically Items, Origins and Type.
A filter on searches in the text as opposed to just the name.

ie. Search each monster for the word "halberd".

Awesome tool!
1 - When you keep your finger on the down arrow while browsing through creatures, you are reset to the first creature on the list after about a second of browsing.

2 - Havn't found the exact cause, but at times when clicking through the list of creatures, I cannot go back to the filters to change the filter in the "name" field. It just wont allow the field to become active. Try right-mouse button and then left mouse button on the same monster to recreate it. This lil bug occurs through any monster/power list.

3 - You can expand either the left or right side by clicking and dragging to accomodate for more room, but if you click and drag the right side to the left you can lose the middle section making it difficult to get back since the "sides" don't start at any justifiable line. Perhaps having the "bamboo" act as an exact line for expanding the right side would help in not losing the middle.

4 - You can right-mouse button click on the top categories (level, name, etc.) and it will come up with the typical "Duplicate and Edit" menu. Choosing one of those options will cause the application to stop working.

Thats all I saw with a quick bug-check. I'll also submit this with the bug report feature.

Resident Basement Dwelling Freak of Dice

Indeed a really great tool, thanks. A few comments:

• when filtering by source, it would be very convenient to have groups of sources as a choice (similarly to the Compendium), such as 'rule books', 'printed adventures', 'dungeon magazines', 'dragon magazines', 'RPGA', 'miniatures'.
  • when filtering powers, filtering by type does not seem to work for me for type 'none' (i.e. most non-attack powers).
  • when filtering powers by action, I noticed that if I choose 'move', then not only move action powers will be selected, but all powers with the word 'move' in the action field - such as those intermediate interrupts or reactions which activate when somebody moves next to you.
  • when copying a monster as RTF, tactics, and more importantly skills are not copied to the clipboard.
  • not necessarily a bug, but a bit strange: checkboxes (like skill training, or the leader/not leader status) are checked/unchecked whenever I click in the same line where the checkbox is located, not only when clicking on the checkbox itself. This sometimes means that I check/uncheck the box even when I did not want to.
You nerfed your skeletons by 1 hp. >;]

Nice quick ref card. I did something very similar although I did it on a separate page from the stats. Now if only the miniatures said 1, 2, 3 on them too we'd be in all set...

And a bug/request: Sort the monster keyword combo list alphabetically.

Yeah, that happens when monsters have odd hit points. So what I do is just note they have an extra hit point. At first I thought, no one ever does just one hit point in damage anymore, so most likely I'll never get to the point where one hit point matters. But on several tough monsters, it has gotten down to where the creature did in fact have 1-3 hit points left, and my players were running out of options.

That of course is where they score a critical.
I would like to add the following.

A link to ecology articles in Dragon Magazine.

A space to write a little more about home grow / custom monsters outside of tactics area.
It'd be nice to be able to add text to specify when custom immediate powers occur in the title bar rather than the description text. For example here's the actual goblin tactics power and what you have to do to recreate it from scratch:

Its slightly non-obvious but you can type whatever you want in the action combo box, you're not restricted to the values in the list.

Another bug: If you clear a power's description, the space is preserved in the statblock giving you a gap.
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
Its slightly non-obvious but you can type whatever you want in the action combo box, you're not restricted to the values in the list.

Another bug: If you clear a power's description, the space is preserved in the statblock giving you a gap.

Ah so you can. I feel slightly silly now.

Thanks for pointing that out to me though.
Traps and Hazards. I know they aren't monsters, but they commonly take the place of monsters. They could just make a builder for that, but I don't know if it really needs its own. When I'm looking for a trap or hazard I look at what monsters I have and what roles I need filled, and vice versa.
When searching monsters, you cannot search by Type. Meaning that if I wanted to bring up all Beasts, I cannot.
I would like to be able to equip the monsters with magic items without having to make changes for it manually, like the character builder does with equipped magic items. I'm always afraid I'll miss changing something important.

EDIT: Turns out you can already do this. *slaps forehead*

Also, you can copy the power from an existing gobling using the holding pen.
I dont know if this has been discussed yet, but sorting creatures by terrain type or even being able to sort by campaign (ie. making your own sorting categories) would be nice.

Resident Basement Dwelling Freak of Dice

Also, you can copy the power from an existing gobling using the holding pen.

I know I was just using goblin tactics so I had an example of what I was aiming for.
The monsters and powers should be searchable by any term that shows up anywhere in the data. If I have a creature that has an attack which requires a prone enemy, I'd like to search the powers for "knocked prone" to add to his stat block and monsters with "knocked prone" to add to the encounter. I can currently do this in the Compendium, but that's just silly.
I don't know why, but most of the times, when I try to customize damage dice for an attack (custom made or copied from another creature), it doesn't work. Sometimes it does work, but after I fiddle with the number a bit, it starts "reseting" to a standard every time I try to change it! Reseting the program seems to "fix" it for a time, then it starts getting stuck at the same value again :P. When the number is "stuck", all I can do is choose the pre-made damage options in the DMG tables...

Anyone else having this problem?
Are you threatening me master jedi? Dungeons & Dragons 4e Classic - The Dark Edition
The monsters and powers should be searchable by any term that shows up anywhere in the data. If I have a creature that has an attack which requires a prone enemy, I'd like to search the powers for "knocked prone" to add to his stat block and monsters with "knocked prone" to add to the encounter. I can currently do this in the Compendium, but that's just silly.

I agree, we need to be able to search by the full text of the power not just the name.
I'm a Mac user; it'd make my workflow go more quickly if I had a right-click "Save to RTF/Save to Image" option along with the copy options. Not a big deal, it'd just be nice.
I dont know if this has been discussed yet, but sorting creatures by terrain type or even being able to sort by campaign (ie. making your own sorting categories) would be nice.

OMG YES. That would save me so much trouble. I never did like entirely random monster encounters - I think the monsters make much more sense if you see them in their natural environment.
I was about to start making an excel file to group monsters by habitat. I was that irked about it.

I like the idea of listing the source book, too. That was another suggestion, but I see its already been posted.

Also, Copy and Paste from another thread, where I posted a comment. That was before I noticed this Sticky (I've learned to ignore them, for better or worse).

=======================================================

FREQ: Let us include macros in our powers, like <$MONSTERNAME>. This way, if change the name of a monster, we don't need to manually change it throughout the power list.

Please yes!

On the MTG side, "~" is used to designate "this guy." For example, "When ~ comes int play, you win the game." I think that would be an appropriate shorthand, as its easy to remember and type, and is rarely used for anything else.

Other comments: The + and - conventions are bloody confusing. + adds a new object, while - deletes items. WTF? The entire layout of the controls looks like it should be a TreeView control of some kind, yet it acts nothing like one. This is highly confusing.

There is already a convention for things like this: x is used to delete things while + and - are used to expand/hide child controls. I keep clicking on the "-" to MINIMIZE the boxes, and nearly deleting them. Sure, I can train myself not to do this, but honestly, fighting conventions is a bad idea anyway.

In addition, I keep having to scroll down past ridiculously long lists of useless information to change things. Once I've added the keyword to a power, I don't need to see it ever again. Give me the power to minimize boxes I've added, and I'll be happy.

Proposals:
* Change the delete button from - to the more intuitive x.
* Add a "minimize this box, I know what it does" button. Make that a -.
* Add an "expand" button, using +, which would match the minimize button better.
* Change the "add a control" button to be some kind of duplication symbol. Perhaps a scroll in the process of being written? Maybe a quill? Something.

Those are honestly the only problems I've seen so far. I've encountered some random bugs, but I expect those will be fixed. I'm mostly concerned with functionality and the interface now, as those will have a longer, more widespread impact than weird random bugs floating around.

PS: The gnome icon for monsters made me lol.

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Desperately need the Preferences - > Zoom from the Character Builder in this app. The small font is difficult to see/read on high resolution monitors.

I'd just like to echo this point.
Necromancy: Friendship is Magic
FREQ: Let us include macros in our powers, like <$MONSTERNAME>. This way, if change the name of a monster, we don't need to manually change it throughout the power list.

THIS!!! THIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!

I'd like to see a whole selection of these including <$BLOODIEDVALUE>, <$SURGEVALUE>, <$MONSTERNAME>, <$LANDSPEED>, <$FLYSPEED> and probably more.
After installation I started Adventure Tools, but the [Launch Adventure Tools] button was not active.

The resolution was to start Character Builder, to let it running and then start Adventure Tools and... oops! It worked. :D The [Launch Adventure Tools] button was active. And now it works without running CB.

However, when I click "+" to create a new monster the program crashes to Windows.

Any idea? I have Dell D6400 with Windows XP 32b SP3
Just for chuckles, I put in a custom "monster", a now semi-retired 150th level human wizard just to see what he'd look like. I saved his entry, but it didn't come up on the list when I re-opened the program, although my other three custom creatures did. Is there some kind of limit in place, or did my computer just barf?

PS: Any pull-down list should be alphabetical, and a terrain-type search function should definitely be in there.

Wonderful tool! Can't wait to see what else goes into the whole shebang!
Just for chuckles, I put in a custom "monster", a now semi-retired 150th level human wizard just to see what he'd look like. I saved his entry, but it didn't come up on the list when I re-opened the program, although my other three custom creatures did. Is there some kind of limit in place, or did my computer just barf?

I think that the limit for filtering monsters is from 1st to 40th, so your 150th level monster may be out of the range unless you alter it manually.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
There should be a place to specify the distance of special vision types, such as blindsight and tremorsense. At the moment all it has is the type, but different monsters have different distances, eg. Gelatinous Cube has Tremorsense 5, but a Black Pudding has Blindsight 10, Tremorsense 10.
Print Friendly Stat Blocks

I noticed this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225780) died pretty fast, but I think it's definitely a feature worth considering, so I'm gonna bring it up here as well.
There should be a place to specify the distance of special vision types, such as blindsight and tremorsense. At the moment all it has is the type, but different monsters have different distances, eg. Gelatinous Cube has Tremorsense 5, but a Black Pudding has Blindsight 10, Tremorsense 10.

You can type 'tremorsense 5' in the combo box. Unfortunately you can't make it capitalized Tremorsense 5 unless you copy-paste the text in from some other source.

In general, the combobox nature of the controls (arbitrary text with predefined lists to choose from) could be documented a little better. Or perhaps put the lists in a dropdown next to the field so its clear that you can either type in the box or choose from the list.
Like you, this will be an attempt to split between bug (which I will count things like forgotten monsters, etc) and missing features. As always, YMMV.

Bugs/errors
Lizardfolk missing from database
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1227484

No easy way to add follow up attacks
Skills do not print when you "export as RTF".
Neither does the Tactics section.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1227108

The export to RTF feature for Vista 64 bit doesn't appear to be working
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225665
More info on this can be found here.

The de-levelling of monsters occasionally results in negative ability scores
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226787

Wisp Wraith and Moon Wraith have different stats than from Compendium
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226982

Gold Dragon stats incorrect (incorrect in compendium as well)
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226537

I want to know what kind of attack has the "Marital" keyword!
Trained Skill bonus did not change when underlying attribute did. I had to Untrain and then Retrain to see the correct modifier.
I can equip a creature with a luxury room! (Or he could be carring "Any small melee".)
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225368

Some weirdness happening when copy/pasting into MB from pdfs. Possibly due to handling of line breaks.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226069

Weird damage numbers when delevelling monsters
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226223

Tiamat not in Monster Database
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226250

Recharge options not showing up correctly in window
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226181

Feature Requests
Let us add knowledge sections, and, for that matter, free-form descriptive text.
We really need a way to add "Special" powers, such as "The MonsterRace NounVerber cannot be forced to move more than one square." Right now I'm doing it as a "No action type" power.
Keyword manager
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1227108

Follow-up attacks
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226827

Export to XML
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1227385

Copyright question on monsters created with Monster Builder
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225837

Request for math explanation upon levelling/delevelling/elitifying/soloifying
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226806

Question about legality of people posting their own conversions of non 4E WotC monsters. (eg Elder Evils)
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1226806

Should be able to sort on multiple keys -- by role, level, and secondary.
Can you store keywords you create?
Can you filter the keyword list to only those "appropriate"? For example, would an attack power ever have the "Dragon" keyword?
Let us include macros in our powers, like <$MONSTERNAME>. This way, if change the name of a monster, we don't need to manually change it throughout the power list.
Charisma modifier for a Level 5 creature with a 7 Cha reads "---". +0 would be better.
Should be able to filter power list by keyword -- to find all Weapon powers, for example, or all Fire powers.
Equipment list should draw from Character Builder, and calculate the magic item bonus limit, or whatever it's called.
You ought to be able to do a "recalc all to base", though, to reset defenses, skills, etc, to their defaults. The "Reset to X" button a)requires you to manually check things, and b)Seems a bit quirky in terms of what number it thinks you "should" have.
The use of +/- to add/delete things is counterintuitive. Traditionhally, +/- in windows are used to expand/minimize windows, not delete them.
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225368

Using Monster Builder on MAC using VMWare fusion
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1225776
I didn't see it mentioned, but I would like to see the program auto-add appropriate defense bonuses when a monster is converted to Elite or Solo. If not that, then at least a pop-up reminder that defenses should be increased for these more powerful creatures.

Love the Monster Builder, thanks for listening to our input!
I am running Vista 64 and I can use export to RTF -- at the very least, I can paste it into the program I use when editing my website. I haven't tried pasting it into other applications, now that I think of it. Lemme check that real quick-like...

Yup, I can paste it into Office 2007 and Microsoft WordPad. I cannot paste it into Notepad. (Which I know only supports plain text.) But I can select what I pasted into WordPad and then paste THAT into notepad. Based on this, I suspect something about the structure of what Monster Builder puts on the clipboard is malformed. Whatever Notepad would use to determine, "Hey, I can just pull the text out of this!" is missing or incorrect; this would probably explain any other issues with other applications.
Earth Delta!! Post-atomic mutants using D&D 4e rules. 600+ pages of mutations, monsters, and occasional sarcasm.
Alma Mater review and walkthrough!A look at the infamous early-80s High School RPG, with illustrations by the great Erol Otus.
I am running Vista 64 and I can use export to RTF -- at the very least, I can paste it into the program I use when editing my website. I haven't tried pasting it into other applications, now that I think of it. Lemme check that real quick-like...

Yup, I can paste it into Office 2007 and Microsoft WordPad. I cannot paste it into Notepad. (Which I know only supports plain text.) But I can select what I pasted into WordPad and then paste THAT into notepad. Based on this, I suspect something about the structure of what Monster Builder puts on the clipboard is malformed. Whatever Notepad would use to determine, "Hey, I can just pull the text out of this!" is missing or incorrect; this would probably explain any other issues with other applications.

Thanks. I have updated my list above to point to your post.

On a similar note, though this may have been covered elsewhere, on Vista 64 bit, the Copy to image only pastes in an image program, like GIMP. I can't past it directly to a word document (where I write up my encounters), I have to paste it in GIMP, then just copy/paste again. Dunno if this happens on other OSes.
THIS!!! THIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!

I'd like to see a whole selection of these including <$BLOODIEDVALUE>, <$SURGEVALUE>, <$MONSTERNAME>, <$LANDSPEED>, <$FLYSPEED> and probably more.

If not the whole suite of tags, then maybe they could just replace the name of the source monster with the name of your own when adding a power, and when you edit your monster's name, it could replace any instance of the old name with the new one in the statblock.