Monster Builder using VMWare Fusion on a Mac

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to give some feedback as a Mac user. I purchased VMWare Fusion specifically for the character builder and now the monster builder. They're the only two programs I HAVE to have that are Windows only.

My encounter creation method is to cut and paste either custom text-based monsters or screenshots from the Compendium into Pages. Right now, the Monster Builder only slightly improves my workflow.

Where it helps is in the creation of new monsters or the modifications of existing monsters. This is useful, though without monster templates, I'm still going to have to edit the text myself.

Unfortunately, VMWare Fusion doesn't let me copy and paste the images or it would save me a lot of time. As it is now, I have to paste the image into a Windows image program like Irfanview and then somehow get those images out of Windows and into my Mac. That's too many steps. Also, doing this scales the images and makes them look bad.

What I really want is a way to print two monsters per page. I'm going to try printing out to 5x8 index cards and see if that works out.

As it is, as a Mac user, it takes a significant amount of steps to get it up and running (as I write this, my stupid XP image has to reboot after patching) and is only slightly improved over the Compendium itself. It's obviously too late at this point, but I wish both the Monster Builder and the Character Builder were either written cross-platform or, better yet, built as web apps.

As far as direct features I want:

1. Print two monsters to a page.
2. Get the monster templates in there.
3. Offer more export methods.
4. Improve performance for sorting through the lists.

Thank you.
I wanted to give some feedback as a Mac user. I purchased VMWare Fusion specifically for the character builder and now the monster builder. They're the only two programs I HAVE to have that are Windows only.

I'm largely in the same boat, though I also run Fractal Mapper in the Windows VM.

My encounter creation method is to cut and paste either custom text-based monsters or screenshots from the Compendium into Pages. Right now, the Monster Builder only slightly improves my workflow.

I tried that. Pages doesn't quite seem to get the Rich Text right. What I do is paste in to Microsoft Word (in MacOS X), then paste in to Pages. This is a completely crappy solution.

What I really want is a way to print two monsters per page. I'm going to try printing out to 5x8 index cards and see if that works out.

Printing from MB is a little screwed up. Print output is truncated to one page. I have already submitted a bug report.

As it is, as a Mac user, it takes a significant amount of steps to get it up and running (as I write this, my stupid XP image has to reboot after patching) and is only slightly improved over the Compendium itself. It's obviously too late at this point, but I wish both the Monster Builder and the Character Builder were either written cross-platform or, better yet, built as web apps.

If wishes were horses ...
I killed Aleena.

As far as direct features I want:

1. Print two monsters to a page.
2. Get the monster templates in there.
3. Offer more export methods.
4. Improve performance for sorting through the lists.

Thank you.

You're in luck. Trevor has posted a list of bug features that are on the team's radar and 1-3 of your items are on the list.

There is also a thread that gives some small advice on improving sort speed... Can't find a link at the moment, but basically, the better you filter down the size of the list, the faster the sorting will go.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Unfortunately, VMWare Fusion doesn't let me copy and paste the images or it would save me a lot of time. As it is now, I have to paste the image into a Windows image program like Irfanview and then somehow get those images out of Windows and into my Mac. That's too many steps. Also, doing this scales the images and makes them look bad.

Command-Shift-4 from the main window actually gives you a bit more control over the layout of the statblock since you can size the center column to the width of your choosing rather than being forced to take the default ~430 pixel width.

If you don't mind applying the Vulcan nerve pinch to your keyboard, Command-Shift-Control-4 will copy that right to the clipboard and save you the intermediary file.
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
My experience last night was similar. I could not paste to pages at all without going through Word as an intermediary. I suspect this may be more related to Pages' pasting than MB's copying, but I cannot say for sure.

I figure I can temporarily go back to Word for creating encounter notes, but I would like to have it working in Pages. Maybe MB could save an RTF file for an image rather than copy to clipboard? Isn't Fusion supposed to allow access to the Mac OS file system? I haven't figured it out yet, but supposedly the feature exists.

Another option would be just a plain text export that we could copy/paste and format ourselves, or one with bold text but no table formatting.

Either of those would probably paste in Pages well enough to still be a massive time saver for us Mac users.

I also with the tools were multi-platform, but I can't stand Java apps (slow, interface usually sucks), and I don't know of any other good alternatives, so I am willing to deal with it.
It's a little to late now since you have already purchased VMware Fusion but I would highly recommend VirtualBox as a VM solution.

Its FREE and When you install the "guest additions" Copy/Paste should work with no problem. You can also setup a virtual shared folder between the two OS's to transfer files easily (I believe it uses the smb protocol).
It's a little to late now since you have already purchased VMware Fusion but I would highly recommend VirtualBox as a VM solution.

Its FREE and When you install the "guest additions" Copy/Paste should work with no problem. You can also setup a virtual shared folder between the two OS's to transfer files easily (I believe it uses the smb protocol).

Copy/Paste of images or text?

You can just drag files out of the VM and onto your Mac so Fusion has that covered pretty well.
"At a certain point, one simply has to accept that some folks will see what they want to see..." Dragon 387
I figure I can temporarily go back to Word for creating encounter notes, but I would like to have it working in Pages. Maybe MB could save an RTF file for an image rather than copy to clipboard? Isn't Fusion supposed to allow access to the Mac OS file system? I haven't figured it out yet, but supposedly the feature exists.

Hit command-E from inside VMWare, click on sharing. You may need the VMWare tools installed in the Windows VM.

Another option would be just a plain text export that we could copy/paste and format ourselves, or one with bold text but no table formatting.

I'd like to keep the formatting, personally

I also with the tools were multi-platform, but I can't stand Java apps (slow, interface usually sucks), and I don't know of any other good alternatives, so I am willing to deal with it.

I think Java gets a bad rap. Both Eclipse and NetBeans are excellent cross-platform Java based tools. On the other hand, those are both written by programmers for programmers.
I killed Aleena.

VirtualBox is awesome, but it has the same problem as VMWare when it comes to copy and paste from the Monster Builder. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Monster Builder was doing something a bit unusual and our virtual machines just don't recognize it.
What I would really like to see is a Mac version of the Character Builder and Monster Builder. I'm also running VM just for those two tools. Seems like Mac support shouldn't be that difficult.