Dragon 376 - Playing Revenants: A D&D Insider Exclusive Race

68 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think being considered undead but lacking a vulnerability is a reasonable compromise between leaving them open to things that affect the undead, without actually causing them to lose additional hit points from those same things or from radiant effects (so, in other words, Turn Undead will hurt them and blow them back, but it won't totally shred them if they're unlucky).

I guess I can see that... and I suppose no other class has a generalized weakness... I was just looking for some continuity between undead PC's and undead monsters.
There are a couple of things I really don't get with Unnatural Vitality.
It states you can only take a standard action BEFORE your first saving throw.
There are feats that grant you a minor and a move action too.
And there are stuff to make your consciousness last over that first saving throw.
But there is NOTHING to allow you to take further actions past your first savng throw.
So, you just stand there conscious but with no actions?
Or am I overlooking something?
There are a couple of things I really don't get with Unnatural Vitality.
It states you can only take a standard action BEFORE your first saving throw.
There are feats that grant you a minor and a move action too.
And there are stuff to make your consciousness last over that first saving throw.
But there is NOTHING to allow you to take further actions past your first savng throw.
So, you just stand there conscious but with no actions?
Or am I overlooking something?

By default, you'd fall unconscious once you make your first death saving throw. That reminds me of what I need to post to the errata thread - it should be clear that if you're healed, you get your actions as normal for the next round, even though you didn't make that saving throw.
So after reviewing some stuff, nothing Technically forbids you from mixing Deva heritage with RevanantX race...so you could be a Revanant, Half-elf, Deva...right?

Yeah, if having a relatively useless feat so your undead can glow in the dark works for you...
Its primary stat is Wis.

OK, but build your druid at 16 WIS, 14 DEX, and 14 CON. You've got 16 in all the stats that matter, and, if you do things slightly differently, your 2 main stats can be through the roof. Your Guardian Druid is a force to be reckoned with with the Revanant. Plus, there's something about the image of an emaciated beast form that seems kinda cool.
There's no need for you to return with the same class. You can multiclass if you want to have the feel of your original character. But its clearly designed that revenants can and perhaps should be of a different class then their original owner.

This isn't raise dead. This is a rebirth. Its like with Devas. Just because you were a warlord in a past life, doesn't mean you have to be a warlord in this life.

What you say is true of the default revenant fluff, where they comeback in a deva like fashion with only vague memories of their past life. That works well enough for starting a new character in a new campaign, however, what the poster you responded to was likely referring to is the variant where mid-campaign a dead PC gets raised as a revenant instead of as their original race, but with their class and most of their feats otherwise the same.

Even for the default fluff, I still think fixed ability bonuses for the revenant was a mistake. Given that they could have quite literally been not only any class but any race as well, it would have made more sense to make them a flexible race (like humans). Allowing them to be equally viably in nearly any class, rather then favoring only a select few.

OK, but build your druid at 16 WIS, 14 DEX, and 14 CON. You've got 16 in all the stats that matter, and, if you do things slightly differently, your 2 main stats can be through the roof.

Kind of pointless. Like most single-primary with split-secondary classes, the druid usually only gains a benefit with powers from the associated secondary ability score if they also have the associated build feature. Revenats can be good druids in either build, but there isn't really an option to be both at the same time, so the revenant will never be as great a druid as a CON+WIS or DEX+WIS race.
Here was something I posted on another board relating to soul feats.

The Past Life Racial Feature doesn't mention any races that are barred from use. A race can be taken to qualify for other feats, paragon paths, etc. A human Revenant can take Action Surge, for example.

So, if you want a bullywug Revenant (I feel sorry for you, really I do), you can, and your DM can only really question your sanity.
Here was something I posted on another board relating to soul feats.

The Past Life Racial Feature doesn't mention any races that are barred from use. A race can be taken to qualify for other feats, paragon paths, etc. A human Revenant can take Action Surge, for example.

So, if you want a bullywug Revenant (I feel sorry for you, really I do), you can, and your DM can only really question your sanity.

In fact, note that it even strongly hints at one of the sample characters being a dragon in a past life!

It makes for a great story hook, but doesn't provide any mechanical benefits outside of any special considerations your DM might give you, or any abilities you might attain on your own through feats and powers designed to fit with your special background.

Like with the Deva, I think this is a race with a tremendous amount of story potential, and I'm quite a fan of how they've gone about implementing it.
So... in the back of my mind something's been bugging me hard core about this new race and I finally figured out what it was.

Does anyone remember "The Crow"? :D
So... in the back of my mind something's been bugging me hard core about this new race and I finally figured out what it was.

Does anyone remember "The Crow"? :D

My wife is a big fan of the Crow comics and the Brandon Lee movie (we were dating when the first movie came out). She's never taken any interest in D&D though. I've hit upon the idea of letting her see the Revenant article, see if she takes the bait :D.
/\ Art
That works well enough for starting a new character in a new campaign, however, what the poster you responded to was likely referring to is the variant where mid-campaign a dead PC gets raised as a revenant instead of as their original race, but with their class and most of their feats otherwise the same.

I wouldn't mind using the revenant to have the same character return with a different class (if I was the leader and the party still needs a leader, I could come back as a Shaman or a Cleric or an Artificer).
In arguement for the revenant, those that are saying that setting the stat bonuses in dex and con was a mistake are missing an important point. The revenant is its own race crafted by the Raven Queen and only have the souls of their past lives and not the body. Plus, the +2 to dex and con make it so they aren't perfect for any class but are good for alot of them. Which class wouldn't like a bonus to con or dex, even though other races could be better at it?

Another thing id like to point out is that the revenant can use his unnatural vitality to use his second wind if no healing is available, thus keeping him from having to make death saves and getting back the rest of his round. I'd say this kind of makes up for the mixed stat placement and if you take the dwarf soul and death's quickening (which allows you to use minor actions as well when using unnatural vitality) you could have bolth your move and standard actions back.;)
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
In arguement for the revenant, those that are saying that setting the stat bonuses in dex and con was a mistake are missing an important point. The revenant is its own race crafted by the Raven Queen and only have the souls of their past lives and not the body.

While true, nothing about having a variable stat boost excludes being it's own unique race (works quite well for humans). Arguing that the revenant should get the exact same bonuses as the race chosen for its Past Life racial trait would be ignoring its unique identity. Wanting the revenant to have some human-like versatility (weather the same +2 to any one stat, or +1 to any two stats as someone else suggested) is about wanting the race to be as versatile as its background fluff and even racial feats suggest it should be. Instead, as it stands now, some race/class background choices are just more viable than others, and that's probably not how it should be.

Plus, the +2 to dex and con make it so they aren't perfect for any class but are good for alot of them.

Untill WotC makes a class that use some combination of CON and DEX for both its primary and secondary ability scores.
Haha! My DM just suggested I login to Insider and check out the most recent Dragon article. Lo and behold I find a race that effectively mirrors the backstory of the Drow Avenger I've been playing since April. He was imprisoned by Lolth for trying to escape the Underdark and killed himself in desperation. The Raven Queen brought him back to life to be a sort of executioner, putting people to death who have managed to avoid it unjustly.

I'm sure no one else finds this the least bit amusing, but I thought it was a hilarious coincidence.
I still think +2 to one of choice would have been a better fit. I mean, the article itself suggests the possibility of an entire TPK'd player party coming back as revenants, but that doesn't work so well given the limited functionality of the Dex/Con pair for many classes.

That aside, I really hope we see more support for the Revenant in the future. The feats and Path available already are great, but this is one race just begging for some Avenger love, what with the race's divine-themed background and striker-leaning class features. Also, former Shadar-Kai Revenants would make sense for some extra feats or other toys, what with the fluff synergy there.

For instance, I could imagine a couple new Raven-Queeney avenger powers, with an extra benefit if you're a Shadar-Kai, a different extra benefit if you're a Revenant, and both benefits for characters who are both Shadar-Kai and Revenants.
I didn't think of it before, but a paragon tier Revenant can get tiefling superior fire resistance - the Dragon 366 warlock article's Bael Turath Born gives Fire Resist 8 + level, with the only requirements being Paragon, Tiefling, Warlock. Past Life covers the Tiefling part, so .....
Something I noticed that just wrong.

Revenant Warforged + Fierce Vitality. Never fall unconscious. Gets worse in epic with Ghostly Vitality. The ability to stay up until you are dead. And the ability to add bloodlines makes it even more wrong

Revenant Warforged Drampyrs anyone?
What happens when you do raise dead on a slain Revenant?
What happens when you do raise dead on a slain Revenant?

Same thing as when you use it on any other character. They get raised just as they were - Revenant.
While I like the article, I was really disappointed to not see any sidebars for how to fit revenants into Forgotten Realms and Eberron.

THIS.

I love the race, but I only run Eberron games.
Yours, Dave the Brave
THIS.

I love the race, but I only run Eberron games.

Then you might enjoy this thread.
Ah, but what if you cast Gentle Repose on a Revenant? :D You then have to wait 30 days or whatever to raise it?

Is it me or do Drow Revenants have a bit of tough luck if you're playing an Underdark campaign?  My GM's going RAW for his game in which everyone's a straight-up Drow except my returned-from-the-dead Revenant Assassin and in a world where everyone has Darkvision, it's a little awkward (especially given my class choice) to be the only guy who has to tote around a light source.  I'd be fine with even just a feat choice in heroic tier for Drow to regain their darkvision or, ideally, if it were merged with Drow Soul.  

But it just seems thematically weird for revenants from darkvision-enabled races to lose their darkvision, especially when it's the goddess of the Shadowfell sending them back.

What I'm still kinda curious about, there is a soul feat for every PHB(2) race except for one, the Deva. I could easily see a Deva's sacred rebirth place being turned into a cemetery and the new incarnation being half dead as a result.

Doing a bit of thread necromancy here, I know, but I think that's appropriate here.

What part of "Exclusive" is not clear here? I believe it was stated that the Revenant would not be published in a book, making it "Exclusive" to DDI subscribers.

I didn't really expect it to remain exclusive for long, but the fact remains that they did renege on this.
Hello Community,

If you notice in the Character Builder, the "Soul" feats associated with Revenants are not selectable. Please help me correct this error so that players can add Racial powers to their Revenants, report the bug to Wizards.

Thank you!
Hello Community,

If you notice in the Character Builder, the "Soul" feats associated with Revenants are not selectable. Please help me correct this error so that players can add Racial powers to their Revenants, report the bug to Wizards.

Thank you!

When the Revenant was reprinted in Heroes of Shadow, the Soul feats were almost all folded into the Past Soul feat, which does the same thing, without printing new Feats every time a new Race is released.

The only Soul feats that are still relevant are the Half Elf Soul and Human Soul Feats, since they do something not referenced in the Past Soul Feat.