Questions on Upgrading and Extending your DDI Subscription

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the announcement of the coming price change and content additions, I wanted to have a place where people could ask quick questions if they are having problems upgrading or extending their subscriptions.

This is not the place to express feedback about the price change or content - This thread is here only for people who need help with either one of these processes.

I'll start off by supplying the relevant links in our help system:

Price Change FAQ

Stopping Auto Renew (The process has changed slightly, it's worth looking over)

Extending Your Subscription

Upgrading Your Subscription

If for some reason these don't help and you still want some one-on-one immediate help with upgrading or extending your subscription, you can contact our customer service team by sending a message through the help system or call them directly at (800) 324-6496 for US and Canadian residents, or (425) 204-8069.

With all that taken care of, if you'd like to ask a quick subscription question or answer someone else's question - this is the place for it.
Trevor Kidd Community Manager
If you have any questions (and only questions, no commentary in this threa dplease) for WotC on the price increase, please post them here. WotC will be watching this thread closely. The other thread is moving fast enough that questions *may* get missed, despite the efforts of Trevor, myself and the rest of your DDI homies.

I just noticed that the new prices aren't in the thread. Here they are:

[indent]$9.95 for 1 month
$23.85 for 3 months (save 20%)
$71.40 for an annual subscription (save 40%)
[/indent]
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
An example was given of EXTENDING a 3-month subscription with another 3-month subscription, and getting a total of a 6-month subscription. Is that right?

In that case, what happens if I extend my yearly subscription that has 7 months left? Does that mean I'll have 19 months left?

If so, then what if I extend that subscription the next day, when I have 18 months and 29 days left? Would that net me 30 months and 29 days? What's to stop me from extending until I'm locked in for 15 years? The FAQ says that multi-year subscriptions aren't supported at this time.
From my understanding, if you have a year-long subscription and 6-months in decide to extend it, the 6-months remaining on your year-long subscription are cancelled, and you have a new, year-long subscription starting the date that you re-subscribed.

Edit to add - Huh, I see from the FAQ page that they are allowing you to extend yuor subscription. That is definitely new, and I will definately poke WotC about this.

My guess is (and I would have to look at the page-by-page terms) that the renewal is done at the price of the subscription on the date that the renewal becomes active, not the date that you re-subscribe.
My guess is (and I would have to look at the page-by-page terms) that the renewal is done at the price of the subscription on the date that the renewal becomes active, not the date that you re-subscribe.

I am going to scoop WotC on this (:P Trevor).

Extending subscriptions is new!! Just added. SO if you extend now, you get an extra year at the current price!!
That's great that we can extend our subscription, but WOTC has neglected to update their software concerning this before they went live on the announcement. Extending the DDI subscription for a yearly subscription cancels the current one. Please advise when you have fixed it.
That's great that we can extend our subscription, but WOTC has neglected to update their software concerning this before they went live on the announcement. Extending the DDI subscription for a yearly subscription cancels the current one. Please advise when you have fixed it.

I'll add this to the updates section as well. The shopping cart text on extending is incorrect when it tells you it is canceling the previous subscription. If you extend, it will add the extra time on to the end of your current subscription. The shopping cart text is being updated as we speak to get rid of the contradictions.

Addition: If you're purchasing a NEW subscription from the shopping cart, not using the extend option, and you have an existing subscription, it will not be seen as an upgrade and will cause overlap issues.

You need to follow the Extension Instructionsto make sure you do it correctly.
I'll add this to the updates section as well. The shopping cart text on upgrading is incorrect when it tells you it is canceling the previous subscription. If you extend, it will add the extra time on to the end of your current subscription. The shopping cart text is being updated as we speak to get rid of the contradictions.

Addition: If you're purchasing a NEW subscription from the shopping cart, not using the upgrade option, and you have an existing subscription, it will not be seen as an upgrade and will cause overlap issues.

Okay great. But can I extend more than once? I'm willing to commit to a couple years here. My wife can actually level up and enjoy the process!

If I can't extend more than once, then I'll wait until July 1st to maximize.
While the software *might* allow you to extend more than once, you are only permitted to extend once. Any difference will be refunded back to you by either DR or WotC.
Do I need to turn off Autorenew to extend my active subscription?
Can we please get a special pricing option for Mac only, since the character builder reflects such a large portion of this "new content" and remains inaccessible to Mac users?
Do I need to turn off Autorenew to extend my active subscription?

Nope! When extending, you do not have to turn off autorenew. It will extend the end date for the current subscription and will keep whatever autorenew status it already had.
While the software *might* allow you to extend more than once, you are only permitted to extend once. Any difference will be refunded back to you by either DR or WotC.

Once per subscription period or once total?

For example if a patron has a year subscription and extends for another year can they use the extend process again after the first year subscription expires, to add another year when the second (extended) year begins?
My understanding is that you can extend once, and then can't extend again until the extended subscription expires.
Once per subscription period or once total?

For example if a patron has a year subscription and extends for another year can they use the extend process again after the first year subscription expires, to add another year when the second (extended) year begins?

I think MB and I are saying the same thing, but you must be in the extended period before you can extend again. So if you have 4 months left and want to extend a year, go for it. Now you won't be able to tack on another year until you've burned through those 4 months and are in your newly extended 1 year.
Thought as much, just wanted to be sure when I put it into the Community FAQ. :D
Nope - I was confuzzled.

So if you extended for X months (where X is 1, 3 or 12), you have to be in the last X months of your subscription in order to re-extend.
I attempted to upgrade my 3 month subscription to a 12 month subscription, following the directions in the original post. Now, when I go to my subscription history page, it lists both subscriptions, with the 12 month one starting today (the 3 month subscription ends in July). Is this correct, or am I double subscribed?
Another question: Will this resubscribe me to auto-renew (apologies if I could have answered this by Ring TFM)
I attempted to upgrade my 3 month subscription to a 12 month subscription, following the directions in the original post. Now, when I go to my subscription history page, it lists both subscriptions, with the 12 month one starting today (the 3 month subscription ends in July). Is this correct, or am I double subscribed?

This is correct. You will be refunded the difference for the time in the first subscription that you did not use and then it will be closed out on the back end.
Another question: Will this resubscribe me to auto-renew (apologies if I could have answered this by Ring TFM)

Extending will not change your auto-renew status, but I'm not sure about upgrading. I'll ping some people when I'm back in the office tomorrow.
So I saw the notice today about pricing increases and figure I'd extend my DDI subscription.

When I clicked on the FAQ about this change I read the following.

"Extend: When you extend your subscription, you’re adding the same subscription you currently have to the end of your existing subscription. (annual to annual, or three month to three month). For example: you have a 3 month subscription and you extend it with another 3 month subscription. Now you have 6 months on your subscription. To extend your current subscription now, click here."

Great I say. I've got a year long subscription that won't be up till October and then I can add another 12 months as the lower price. Sounds like a deal. I click on the link and start to follow the process. Then I get to the shopping cart where it has me set up to purchase another year subscription and I read under the notes the following.

"Extensions: Purchasing a new subscription before your old one has expired does not add time to your existing subscription. A new subscription will begin immediately, overwriting your original one and causing any remaining time to be lost. If you want to extend your subscription, please read the FAQ."

So now they don't stack!!! Even though in the FAQ it specifically says it does. Which way its it WotC? If I try to "extend" do I loose the five months I have left? Why would I do this? Or is there a special way to "extend" that I'm not seeing? I'm following all the links. What's am I doing wrong?

Wraith428
*nods* same over here.
Wanted to extend, but then it says I lose the month between now and october...
This is correct. You will be refunded the difference for the time in the first subscription that you did not use and then it will be closed out on the back end.

So this will be done automatically, or do you need to contact anyone to get this refund? And how will this refund show up, if you payed via credit card, paypal, etc?
WotC_Trevor posted this about it
I'll add this to the updates section as well. The shopping cart text on extending is incorrect when it tells you it is canceling the previous subscription. If you extend, it will add the extra time on to the end of your current subscription. The shopping cart text is being updated as we speak to get rid of the contradictions.

Addition: If you're purchasing a NEW subscription from the shopping cart, not using the extend option, and you have an existing subscription, it will not be seen as an upgrade and will cause overlap issues.

Yep, this works. Adds it on instead of overwriting (as it still says :P )
(My campaigns log blog) http://sefotron.blogspot.com/ I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am going to merge this with the stickied thread that already exists about this topic.
So this will be done automatically, or do you need to contact anyone to get this refund? And how will this refund show up, if you payed via credit card, paypal, etc?

You will not need to be contacted, the refund will be done automatically. The refund should show up as a credit to your account, from DR. I'll see if I can get an actual example.

Update:

The credit to your account will start with DRI*Wizards orderfind.comMN
Extending will not change your auto-renew status, but I'm not sure about upgrading. I'll ping some people when I'm back in the office tomorrow.

Found the information. If you upgrade your subscription from a 3 month or 1 year subscription, the auto-renew status will default to Yes/On and you'll need to turn it off if you don't want to use auto-renew for your subscription.
Hmm, whoops. I didn't see the extend information yesterday. What happens if you had a three-month subscription with a month left on it, cancelled it, then bought a new annual sub? Did I end up paying for that odd month twice?
Jim Johnson Writer!
Hmm, whoops. I didn't see the extend information yesterday. What happens if you had a three-month subscription with a month left on it, cancelled it, then bought a new annual sub? Did I end up paying for that odd month twice?

If you upgrade from a 3 month to yearly subscription you will be refunded the unused portion of your 3 month subscription automatically and your yearly will start from the point you purchased.

You can now extend that yearly subscription and get two years at this price otherwise any renewal or extension after the beginning of July will be at the new price.
Trevor,
Hey all the links in your first post wont connect for me. I read on another post about the whole cookie clean thing, so I tried and it still does not open for me. What can I do to get the information, (other than call)?
This (below) [from the sign-up FAQ] seems to contradict your other statement (further below) in another thread. What is correct here?

Extensions: Purchasing a new subscription before your old one has expired does not add time to your existing subscription. A new subscription will begin immediately, overwriting your original one and causing any remaining time to be lost. If you want to extend your subscription, please read the FAQ.

5/19/2009 12:24 PM - Example of Extending Subscription: Your subscription is set to expire in October 2009. You extend for one year at the introductory price right now. One year is tacked on to your existing subscription timeline, and will now expire on October 2010.

I would like to extend but if I do extend my subscription, which expires 01/2010, I would only extend to 05/2010. Is this statement correct?
This (below) [from the sign-up FAQ] seems to contradict your other statement (further below) in another thread. What is correct here?

Extensions: Purchasing a new subscription before your old one has expired does not add time to your existing subscription. A new subscription will begin immediately, overwriting your original one and causing any remaining time to be lost. If you want to extend your subscription, please read the FAQ.

5/19/2009 12:24 PM - Example of Extending Subscription: Your subscription is set to expire in October 2009. You extend for one year at the introductory price right now. One year is tacked on to your existing subscription timeline, and will now expire on October 2010.

I would like to extend but if I do extend my subscription, which expires 01/2010, I would only extend to 05/2010. Is this statement correct?

There is a difference between buying a new subscription (as in upgrading from a 3-month to a 1-year subscription) and extending a subscription (adding on to the end of your current subscription).

If you extend your subscription (and make sure to follow the appropriate FAQ for how to do that), it will add on to the end of your current subscription.

If you upgrade, it replaces your current subscription.
Thanks, helpful as always
I accidentaly bought a new 12 months subscription over my actual one instead of renewing. Does this mean I'm losing the remaining 40 bucks of my old subscription?

Is there any way to deal this out and simply renew?
I accidentaly bought a new 12 months subscription over my actual one instead of renewing. Does this mean I'm losing the remaining 40 bucks of my old subscription?

Is there any way to deal this out and simply renew?

Your best bet would be to contact CS (use the Contact Us link down at the bottom of the page) and explain, in detail, what happened, and what you want done. They *should* be able to fix it.
Sorry, but I tried the Email Us button on the Help page. It says there was an error and that I needed to restart my browser. So I closed Firefox and came back, and it still did this.

I tried with IE 7 and it didn't work, so I upgraded to IE 8, only to get the same message.

I'm sort of getting panicky about that, cause that's about 75$ CAD that's going down the toilet, an entire week's paycheque for me.

Any way I could contact them through direct email?
Any way I could contact them through direct email?

Post in this thread here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1133626 ) and you will be contacted by WotC CS to get help resolving things.
Thank you Mudbunny, I'm trying that right now

Bonne journée!
If you still don't get any response (within a day or two), let me know, and I will do what poking I can. ORCs are monitoring that thread regularly. Make sure that the email in your account settings is one that you can email from.

They will post in the thread when they have taken action, so pay attention to the thread.

Bonne journée a toi aussi!!