did the cancel the virtual tabletop for dnd insider?

262 posts / 0 new
Last post
havent been on for a while and I dont see that anywhere at a glance, was that scrapped?

steve
Probably.
havent been on for a while and I dont see that anywhere at a glance, was that scrapped?

steve

Effectively, yes.
There was a statement a couple days ago (after a long period of silence) that there is no active development being done on the virtual tabletop, the dungeon builder, or the character visualizer.

It's possible that developers are allowed to work on them in their spare time, but they are shelved, and IMO, as Guivre says, they are effectively (in the sense of "for all practical purposes") canceled.
that is a real bummer, that was one of the reasons I paid for one year of D&DI.

oh well.

steve
Welcome back to the forums.

I recommend reading the forums and I am sure you will find the other 100 posts about this.
The game table is not currently in active development. People who want it "now" see this as cancellation.

If you're more patient this can also read as a delay while other tools take priority.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

The game table is not currently in active development. People who want it "now" see this as cancellation.

If you're more patient this can also read as a delay while other tools take priority.

Some people who want it now see it as a cancellation.
I did find a ton of messages when I had some time to come back and read.

Id be happy with a "delay" so I hope that is it.

steve
Id be happy with a "delay" so I hope that is it.

Well prepare to be happy then, it is delayed indefinitely.
I too had originally subscribed to DDI to give wizards an incentive to complete the Virtual Table Top. However after almost a year since the launch of the game and the VTT having been effectively put on the back burner I'm done. I've cancelled my DDI account and I will likely never buy another wizards product. After 30 years of D&D I think I'm done. I will continue to play 4e with the books I've purchased, but wizards has done a lot of damage in their relationship with me and I doubt they will ever gain my trust back. I'd like to see it happen but I doubt it.
I too had originally subscribed to DDI to give wizards an incentive to complete the Virtual Table Top. However after almost a year since the launch of the game and the VTT having been effectively put on the back burner I'm done. I've cancelled my DDI account and I will likely never buy another wizards product. After 30 years of D&D I think I'm done. I will continue to play 4e with the books I've purchased, but wizards has done a lot of damage in their relationship with me and I doubt they will ever gain my trust back. I'd like to see it happen but I doubt it.

same here. i came here just to see if anything was being done with the tools that i signed up for... visualizer, dungeon builder, virtual table top...
and I am getting hosed. Congrats WotC, on hosing me for a year's subscription and not delivering the goods. Way to reward 26 years of die-hard loyalty to your brand.

I survived the corny saturday morning cartoon, the terrible line of action figures, the god-awful thora birch movie, the constant cash-grab new editions getting cranked out every 5 years, the world-of-warcraft-ification of the game, and other outrages only to get robbed by you clowns. I'm done.

It's a good thing Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax aren't alive to see this.
Remember to keep conversations here on-topic and friendly. Please consider the code of conduct when posting to these forums.

http://forums.gleemax.com/community_coc.php
only to get robbed by you clowns. I'm done.

Robbed? Really?

So, you were walking past your FLGS, minding your own business, and WotC jumped out, grabbed you, took your money, shoved a bagfull of books at you, and ran off cackling?

Don't get me wrong - if you don't feel you're getting a good value for your money, you're right to stop spending your money on the product.

But robbed is more than a little hyperbolic.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Robbed? Really?

So, you were walking past your FLGS, minding your own business, and WotC jumped out, grabbed you, took your money, shoved a bagfull of books at you, and ran off cackling?

Don't get me wrong - if you don't feel you're getting a good value for your money, you're right to stop spending your money on the product.

But robbed is more than a little hyperbolic.

It would never happen like that. First, you wouldn't be able to get the drop on me like that because my perception score is too high. You may have cackled, I don't know...

What I DO know is this is a fiasco.
You promised me upcoming functionality of those features (visualizer, table top, etc), enticed me to buy a whole year up front in order to lock in a good rate for when those additions came on line, and then cancelled developing the very functionality i signed up for.
Don't get all defensive. That is exactly what happened. You advertised services as part of a pricing package you marketed to me, I took the bait, and you bailed on me without fulfilling your promises. They're not just 6 months late, they're not even being developed anymore. I don't want any more dragon magazines. I want my money back.

Ok maybe robbed is hyperbolic. Defrauded isn't.
You defrauded me.
I'm just relieved that people like me who said this was Vaporware before 4E was even out weren't ostracized for making that claim.

Oh wait, yeah I was!

S'alright, I didn't get into 4E for the VTT, there's plenty of those out there that exist and didn't need to borrow screen shots from other VTTs to claim they had a product in development. I play 4E because I find DMing fun again, that's it.

Fantasy Grounds II, MapTools, Battlegrounds RPG, etc, etc. Calm down and go play on an existing VTT, like the rest of us already have been since the mid-90s.
Ok maybe robbed is hyperbolic. Defrauded isn't.
You defrauded me.

I promised and defrauded nothing.

I am not a WotC employee.

As for claims of fraud, depending on when you signed up for DDI you were told that you were getting what you got, and the price that would be charged.

If you signed up early enough you've had the Character Builder ADDED to your subscription for FREE.

The other tools were behind a "coming soon" banner - and yes, unfortunately, that plan changed.

Rumors circulate that a ball was dropped by their 3rd party development company. True or not WotC decided to focus on one piece at a time instead of just pushing everything out all at once.

As such, they have to pick and choose which tool is being actively developed at a time.

Unfortunately, they've chosen not to work on your favorite (or, to be honest, my favorite) tool at the moment.

That isn't fraud. That's life.

I promised and defrauded nothing.

Pretty sure the guy's not talking to you specifically, dude, but to WotC in general. Pretty sure he couldn't care less whether you're actually a paid employee of WotC or not (and it's completely beside the point anyway).

And, pretty sure you know that ;)
Pretty sure the guy's not talking to you specifically, dude, but to WotC in general. Pretty sure he couldn't care less whether you're actually a paid employee of WotC or not (and it's completely beside the point anyway).

And, pretty sure you know that ;)

Actually, because of my VCL and News Guide titles, people make the mistake from time to time. Since he replied to me directly and said "you" as opposed to previous posts where he said "WotC" it seems likely he'd made that error.

As its not an unheard-of (or unreasonable if you're not well-versed in how the WotC forums operate) mistake, we (VCLs) have to clarify from time to time.

Any chance any of those other virtual tabletops have 3D rendering and realtime lighting?

That's what I was looking forward to. Planned on using an HD projector pointing down onto a table.
I *think* that MapTool can do real-time lighting. I know that it can do real-time line of sight, so lighting shoyuld just be an extension of that, but I don't know off-hand.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
I *think* that MapTool can do real-time lighting. I know that it can do real-time line of sight, so lighting shoyuld just be an extension of that, but I don't know off-hand.

First: it will not do lighting like that seen in the demo/mockup whatever-it-was of the VTT. Light is "hard-edged" - there's no gradual falloff of light or realtime shadows or anything like that.

However, MapTool does have an extensive (and customizable) lighting system, that handles light sources, line of sight, and fog of war. Line of sight is not based on the 4E "draw lines to each corner of the target square" since that's very 4E specific (however, that is a feature being considered as an option).

The lighting and vision system is very good. It's not perfect, but it's very good.

I don't know about Battlegrounds, but IIRC it has a pretty good lighting system too - a little prettier visually than MapTool, and different options.

There are also some REALLY cool things people have done with projectors (including projecting the image onto hand-built terrain so that the image wraps onto the terrain, or using Wii remotes as an input device, etc)
I must mention that it is very amusing seeing the hasbro reps humming and hawing with excuses and denials throughout these threads. Maybe a career in politics is a future calling " if " edition 4.5 doesn't put the game back onto the table.
I must mention that it is very amusing seeing the hasbro reps humming and hawing with excuses and denials throughout these threads. Maybe a career in politics is a future calling " if " edition 4.5 doesn't put the game back onto the table.

I don't think anyone in this thread is a Hasbro rep. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone from WotC or Hasbro (actually, I've never seen anyone who professed to be a Hasbro rep) make any statements that weren't flat "this is what will happen" comments.
And this would be why I'm glad that I didn't subscribe to DDI yet. I'll just wait until the game table is operational.

Hasbro reps??
Effectively, yes.

What?!?!?! You mean they (WOTC) are not going through with what they promised us ? Imagine that.

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there.

How about "People who have waited to use it for a 1.5 years and would have liked to have used it within 2.5 years of it first being touted as a feature see this as a cancellation" ?

They have another year to make that timeline, and since it's not being actively developed, I don't see that happening.
That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there.

How about "People who have waited to use it for a 1.5 years and would have liked to have used it within 2.5 years of it first being touted as a feature see this as a cancellation" ?

They have another year to make that timeline, and since it's not being actively developed, I don't see that happening.

Because I'm one of the people that's been waiting for it for 1.5 years, would like to use it within 2.5 years, and I don't see it as a cancellation.

Wow, really Wolf?

No offense, but that's extremely hopeful and/or naive of you.

Shelved software products have this alarming tendency never to be finished. I certainly can't remember the last decent offering that got shelved, then picked back up that ended up well. At the very least it would mean any work that WAS done on it would need to be redone from scratch. Who are they going to get to pick that up?

Moreover, see the other people's point of view. Hasbro/WoTC spent the better part of a year or more now marketing a product to us that, frankly, didn't exist, and if you're saying it's shelved indefinitely, that means for the forseeable future probably WON'T exist. Yes, it sucks. Yes, people are unhappy about it. They've got every right to be. I'm sorry if you don't like whining on your boards, but that's kinda going to happen.

Hasbro has changed a number of things about the franchise, not the least of which was slamming the price of the books through the roof immediately because they knew they had a hardcore fanbase who was willing to pay to get their 'fix'. Dropping these tools that had already gone out through their marketing department as an incentive to purchase a subscription to Insider just shows more of the same. Once with this problem when the original character builder was semi-released with the books was bad enough. Now this second shortfall is just ridiculous.

While I see your point, and trying to maintain hope, I honestly have to say it looks extremely bad, and I think pumping money into D&D in it's current state is a big mistake. I won't go dramatic about it, but it is a damn shame to go through picking up this new service with overdone promises of new tools, better experiences, and GENERAL COMPETENCE OF THE COMPANY TO FULFILL CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS, only to be let down, and told that 'well. our 3rd party software developer may have dropped the ball'. or, excuse me, not told that, because I highly doubt anything I've heard on here was from a rep. Oh wait, they haven't said anything except that it's delayed. Indefinitely.

I dunno. maybe that's just me, but that sounds like EXTREMELY poor planning on the part of the officials overseeing the D&D project as a whole. Proper implementation would have had 2/3+ of this software suite done by now. Before people start saying I don't know what I'm talking about, I work in distribution sales for software and hardware implementation, speaking daily with guys who do exactly this. I've seen rollouts of software platforms intended to allow remote management of systems in the 10,000+ qty pushed faster than this.

Frankly, it's a damned shame. I think a good gaming table made by the franchise itself would have pulled people back in droves to the game, besides my own happiness. Not to mention I'd hoped being connected to a large company known for gaming products would have done some good. Ah, well. Live and learn.
Wow, really Wolf?

No offense, but that's extremely hopeful and/or naive of you.

Really and truly.

I look at DDI as an entire service package. While I'm highly disappointed in the lack of a complete suite of tools - culminating in a Game Table that will let me play with my scattered friends - I still see work on the package being done. Slowly - far slower than I'd like in fact, but progress is progress. Even if it isn't on the one piece I want most.

Shelved software products have this alarming tendency never to be finished. I certainly can't remember the last decent offering that got shelved, then picked back up that ended up well. At the very least it would mean any work that WAS done on it would need to be redone from scratch. Who are they going to get to pick that up?

Moreover, see the other people's point of view. Hasbro/WoTC spent the better part of a year or more now marketing a product to us that, frankly, didn't exist, and if you're saying it's shelved indefinitely, that means for the forseeable future probably WON'T exist. Yes, it sucks. Yes, people are unhappy about it. They've got every right to be. I'm sorry if you don't like whining on your boards, but that's kinda going to happen.

I'll give you "forseeable future" - though it's worth clarifying that I don't "forsee" most things beyond a six-month window. To use conventions as an example, DDXP isn't in the forseeable future - it hasn't even been announced for 2010 yet. But I fully expect it to happen next year, and I still expect to attend.

As for "whining" - I fully encourage people to state what they want. I just reserve the right to reply as I see fit (or not) just as you have that same right. After all, that's what a discussion forum is for - discussion. That includes the exchange of sometimes conflicting opinions and ideas.

Hasbro has changed a number of things about the franchise, not the least of which was slamming the price of the books through the roof immediately because they knew they had a hardcore fanbase who was willing to pay to get their 'fix'. Dropping these tools that had already gone out through their marketing department as an incentive to purchase a subscription to Insider just shows more of the same. Once with this problem when the original character builder was semi-released with the books was bad enough. Now this second shortfall is just ridiculous.

I'm confused. You seem to be saying that Hasbro/WotC jacked the price of the books to simply get more money. However, they then dropped the price of their online subscription model. If they were just going to be money grubbing wouldn't they have simply released half-finished tools, charged full price, and told the "hard core fix" crowd to live with it?

Don't get me wrong, the project is mis-managed, but I think there's a clear line between human error (and even plain incompetence) and nefarious corporate greed.

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your point, however.

While I see your point, and trying to maintain hope, I honestly have to say it looks extremely bad, and I think pumping money into D&D in it's current state is a big mistake. I won't go dramatic about it, but it is a damn shame to go through picking up this new service with overdone promises of new tools, better experiences, and GENERAL COMPETENCE OF THE COMPANY TO FULFILL CUSTOMER EXPECTATIONS, only to be let down, and told that 'well. our 3rd party software developer may have dropped the ball'. or, excuse me, not told that, because I highly doubt anything I've heard on here was from a rep. Oh wait, they haven't said anything except that it's delayed. Indefinitely.

It IS a damn shame that they over-committed.

But. . . WotC can't go back in time and take those original projections, estimations and over-commitments and take them away.

They CAN tell us what the current plan is (To work on one project at a time, and to not schedule inactive projects until the active piece is done).

That's a subtle difference from something being delayed "indefinately". I'll agree it isn't as easy as "we'll pick up "X" in six months" - but indefinite has a negative connotation associated with it.

It's delayed until the the current project is done. It's less about shelving the project and letting it gather dust, and more about where the current focus is.

Don't think of the Game Table as being boxed up and put into cold storage (at least, I don't) - think of it more as being right on the workbench next to the Campaign Tools, awaiting its turn.

I dunno. maybe that's just me, but that sounds like EXTREMELY poor planning on the part of the officials overseeing the D&D project as a whole. Proper implementation would have had 2/3+ of this software suite done by now. Before people start saying I don't know what I'm talking about, I work in distribution sales for software and hardware implementation, speaking daily with guys who do exactly this. I've seen rollouts of software platforms intended to allow remote management of systems in the 10,000+ qty pushed faster than this.

Frankly, it's a damned shame. I think a good gaming table made by the franchise itself would have pulled people back in droves to the game, besides my own happiness. Not to mention I'd hoped being connected to a large company known for gaming products would have done some good. Ah, well. Live and learn.

I agree. It IS a damn shame. I have high hopes (as an active RPGA gamer) that having a VTT tied directly to the D&D brand will help consolidate online RPGA games. Right now these people play on "this" VTT, those people play on "that" VTT.

While I don't think it will be as easy as 100% of the people using VTTs will switch to the Game Table - I have high hopes that a quality VTT will pickup 75% or more of the market, and offer up a consolidated place to find RPGA games.

I’ve removed content from this thread because off topic is a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code of Conduct here: http://forums.gleemax.com/community_coc.php

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
Method Actor 100% Storyteller 100% Butt Kicker 50% Tactician 50% Power Gamer 25% Specialist 25% Casual Gamer 25% The Code of Conduct is: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1916 To contact Customer Service: http://wizards.custhelp.com
Perhaps I'm just not seeing it, but does anyone know what the current tool is that they ARE working on? Not just updating the character builder, that's in maintenance mode.
Perhaps I'm just not seeing it, but does anyone know what the current tool is that they ARE working on? Not just updating the character builder, that's in maintenance mode.

Campaignt Tools.

They are currently working on a Campaign Manager.

There is a Directed Discussion thread here where people are discussing what they would like to see in a Campaign Manager. The details that we have gotten so far from WotC are fairly vague, so now is your best chance to have some influence on what they add.
I am with Wolf on this.
I have hope (due to reading some of the 'official' posts) that Wolf is truly on the mark when he points us to the direction that WotC is placing their dev's attention in one tool at a time. Hasbro/WotC is fully capable of picking up the virtual table-top software any time they chose and get it into a state that will make your head spin - I completely trust in that. In the meantime, they already have their franchise name on official products that work for versions 3.0 and 3.5 through BioWare's Neverwinter Nights and Obsidian's Neverwinter Nights 2 where the entire experience is even animated and completely customizable. This is where it makes perfect sense to work on some of the other tools first - but also (and mainly) the fact that those who answer their surveys have proven to require tool delivery in the order that they are coming.

I will truly love the day that the Virtual Table Top comes to fruition - and will get a new campaign going with friends across the globe as soon as it does. In the meantime, I must say that I feel DDI to be worth (RPG gamer-wise) MUCH more than the meager subscription fee that it costs.

For those who feel otherwise, I also agree with Wolf: If you don't want it, don't buy it - that simple.

BTW, WotC, if you want/need 3d help with VTT when the time comes, I'll work for cheep just because I love how you've shaped my games over the excellent years you've given me!

Thanks!
I don't post often, but for once...and maybe my drop in the giant bucket will be noticed...who knows?

I want to state for the record that I truly respect and appreciate the moderators and volunteers on the forums. They have a job that's incredibly hard, and they do it with a passion for gaming, and professionalism that I feel is rarely rivaled.

Now. I want to say that I don't feel that I'm one of the primary gamers that WOTC/Hasbro aims their products at. I'm in my forties with kids. I game a lot less than I used to. Unfortunately I feel after talking to other gamers that Wizards may have missed an opportunity here. Older gamers with families.

I have seen tons of older gamers quit after kids and more responsibility came along. Because they have to stay at home, they can't game unless it's on their PC. They can't spend hours away from their families.

I saw/see the DDi tabletop as a godsend for that area. When I saw the interviews and demos, I was amazed. I would finally be able to play D&D with real gamers online. I talked with more people who said that if it really happened, they loved the idea of returning to playing D&D. There's so much more it could offer them than MMO's.

Now I hear that it has been delayed for a Campaign Manager. It kills me. For me,the main draw of 4E was the online aspect. I like it, but I want to play it. (Yes I know about the online options, but they are nowhere near the same, when all factors are taken into account.)

I have friends who own almost every 2e-3.5e book out. These same friends are now playing MMO's only because they can't play D&D on the online tabletop. These people have good jobs. We have the cash to buy the new books...if we have somewhere to use them. All the money going to other companies would be paid to WOTC. Every day delayed is money lost from my point of view. (example...I have a friend who dropped over two hundred bucks on video games the other day, all the while angrily complaining about how much he misses playing D&D!)

Anyway, that's my rant. I understand business concerns, but 4E was touted as being designed with the virtual tabletop in mind. I looked forward to playing Living RPGA games on the tabletop. For now, 4E looks petty bleak to me. (Not putting the system down, but the inability to enjoy it.) For now, my buying will go on hold, at least until I can use what I buy.
I'll second that!
It would be a fine gesture of goodwill if Wizards, after making the final decision to scrap the project, would release the design files and code for the gametable and other applications to be used as open-source content by the community. Sadly, the effort of the developers will surely be discarded. I am sure the people who actually work on the project are as upset as we are that it will never see the light of day. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd try to buy the rights to it The management and business development leaders at Wizards have once again deprived us of a highly demanded product because of poor project planning and business models.
First let me throw some credentials on the table. I was a programmer on the game "Devil's Whiskey" and worked with all of the people that planned and created the game.

I also will graduate from Westwood Online with a B.S. in Game Software Development in October.

With that on the table I can tell you that if I had to work on the Virtual Game Table by myself 40 hours a week. I could have finished it in around a year with the features that were supposed to be supported.

It has been in development much longer than that, and the only thing that could have kept it there is bad planning and even worse (unmentionable lawsuits). The online aspect really was the reason I kept playing. While all of 3rd party the VTT's out there are really worth using, they all miss out on one aspect that was touted for D&DI GameTable. That feature is the lobby where you can log in and pick a game to join. That feature alone made it worth waiting. Since they haven't been able to keep their promises I've pretty much given up on serious gaming. I still play with my nephews occasionally, but its just not the same. I also want the ability to just drop in when I feel like playing. With the existing VTT's that is impossible.

Overall I have to say that they really should have gotten the game table working first, then work on all of the other stuff later. This would have allowed people to get into and try D&D and the GameTable. Then they could have had a higher fan base than how they are doing it now. They seem to be taking Atari's tact. "We'll get it out someday and it might even work!"

Really I'm just disappointed that Hasbro and WoTC don't care enough about the franchise and their customers to see where the market is. I guess I'll go ahead and create my own VTT with a lobby feature, then see if I can get enough money up to buy the use of the rules from WoTC.
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Never posted here before, will probably never post again - but for what it's worth I agree 100% with Aoibin.

I, and my friends, all with full-time jobs, lots of 'em with families, all scattered about the UK, subscribed to DDI purely on teh strength of the Virtual Table top.

Can't say how disappointed I am to be reading that it isn't even top of the 'jobs to be done' list and I, along with all my friends will be letting our subscriptions run out and simpy spend more time on WoW, where at least we can talk and group together. A very sad day indeed.