D&D Insider Tools Information

300 posts / 0 new
Last post
So last week we announced that we were working on a set of Campaign Tools with the intention of helping players manage and run their ongoing games and campaigns. These tools will focus on encounters, monsters, mapping and adventures.

Previously, we focused all of our energies and effort into making the Character Builder the best tool it could be. We're going to continue that focused effort as we move forward - we're just shifting our attention to the Campaign Tools. This means that we're not actively working on any other unreleased tools, which includes the game table and the character visualizer. Once we have the Campaign Tools out and we're as happy with them as we are with the Character Builder, we'll have a better idea of what our next step is.

As far as more details about the Campaign Tools, I don't have any more information for you now, but we should have some details for you soon.
Trevor Kidd Community Manager
*cheers*

And to think I was just posting a whine about total silence on any upcoming tools.

Here's to looking forward to the upcoming details.
hopefully, they'll give out a concept for what their campaign tools should contain - since everyone on these boards here believe them to be something slightly different, which is a good and a bad sign. good, since lots of people are interested - bad, since most of them will be disappointed if they don't clear out the waters what exactly "campaign tools" are.
Here be dragons: IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cydyvkj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c54g6ac/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/csw6fhj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cbxbgmp/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cz7v5bd/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/ccg9eld/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c8szhnn/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cp68b5u/.gif)
56767308 wrote:
Sadly, I don't think this has anything to do with wanting Next to be a great game. It has to do with wanting Next to determine who won the Edition War. [...] For those of us who just want D&D Next to be a good game, this is getting to be a real drag.
57870548 wrote:
I think I figured it out. This program is a character builder, not a character builder. It teaches patience, empathy, and tolerance. All most excellent character traits.
Thank you very much. That's what I figured the survey results meant, so I suppose it's nice to be right. It's a shame that the other tools were set aside for the time being, but a) it sounds like WotC felt it was the right business decision, and b) it's nice to have a conclusive statement. Thanks.
I noticed that mapping is listed as one of the features for the Campign Tools, does this mean that it(assuming it is a single program) will absorb the previously planned tool for map making(I forgot what the official planned name was).
I noticed that mapping is listed as one of the features for the Campign Tools, does this mean that it(assuming it is a single program) will absorb the previously planned tool for map making(I forgot what the official planned name was).

Dungeon Builder
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
This means that we're not actively working on any other unreleased tools, which includes the game table and the character visualizer. Once we have the Campaign Tools out and we're as happy with them as we are with the Character Builder, we'll have a better idea of what our next step is.

So its official the original tools that many of us have looked forward to are dead (at least for now and imop probably for good).

Thats it for me for 4E, I'm going back to 3.5 until Wotc can provide me with what was originally promised. I want the visualizer, dungeon builder and virtual table top we were promised, not a bait and switch!

First they pull pdfs now this, well I'm pulling my money and I hope many others do also; it seems to be all Wotc / Hasbro understands.
So its official the original tools that many of us have looked forward to are dead (at least for now and imop probably for good).

Thats it for me for 4E, I'm going back to 3.5 until Wotc can provide me with what was originally promised. I want the visualizer, dungeon builder and virtual table top we were promised, not a bait and switch!

First they pull pdfs now this, well I'm pulling my money and I hope many others do also; it seems to be all Wotc / Hasbro understands.

It isn't bait and switch BTW, its called changing their minds. Not that that will change yours. Frankly, I dont care what you play, just clarifying the language here.

And, for the record, i didn't want the VTT or the visual, you just have to realize you don't always get your way. Some of us are going to be happy and some of us aren't. I don't really understand how this affects your ability to play 4e however. But, different strokes and all that.

PS Thank you wotc for moving the VTT and visualizer to the back burner in favor of a robust set of campaign tools for the hardworking DMs out there.
Ughhh....

While it is nice that you have said now that you are working on something, why don't you guys just go ahead and announce the cancelation of the other applications at this point? Stop dangling the carrot that some want.

Really, what is the point of not? You can even spin it in your favor by saying that the community did not appear to want those applications so that you are focusing on what they really want.

While this is not surprising, something tells me all is not right in the DDI world.

I would also like to say thanks for a CLEAR update of what is going on. Now let's get some dialog going about what Wizards see the Campaign manager as and what the fans think and go from there.

It would also be nice to get a monthly update: like, we are working of the Campaign Manager - this is a feature we are testing, this is a feature that we are talking about, etc.
WOTC Podcast: "The web is a shortcut" "Piracy was a big thing"
Dungeon Builder

Thank you, I do not know why I could not remember that.

How does the lack of these tools make a difference between you playing 4th edition and 3.5? Does it have a visualizer, dungeon builder, and virtual table top? Does WotC really care which version you are playing if you aren't buying new products? I mean if you prefer 3.5 to 4th then that is completely fine, but I wonder why you would play 4th if that is the case. However if you prefer 4th, then don't switch to a system you like less over this just stop buying new stuff so you can make your statement(although I personally doubt it will be enough for WotC to notice).
While it is nice that you have said now that you are working on something, why don't you guys just go ahead and announce the cancelation of the other applications at this point?

Because a backburner does not a cancellation make.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Talk like that will make you the first one against the wall when the revolution comes. :D
Thanks Trevor for the update and clarification. I think the community (with certain exceptions) is generally happy with direct communication, even if it isn't all good news.

I'm excited to see what you and the team envision for the next tool. Keep the updates coming, even if it is just to say something mundane or technical. Given the polish on the CB and compendium, I'm looking forward to another top tier product.

As for those that are disappointed by the VTT delay, I can understand, but I don't recall ever being PROMISED anything? I saw some plans and some promotion of the plans, but plans change. Stuff happens. Its okay. I'm only paying for what I've got access to.

Anyway, thanks for info, and good luck.
For crying out loud, guys. You wanted word from WotC on what they were working on. They told you, and you guys are still being brats to them? And you wonder why Wizards is so reluctant to share plans with its fanbase. Stop being awful.

To WotC: thank you. Assuming they are of comparable quality to the Character Builder, these tools will see a lot of use.
Tales from the Rusty Dragon (http://rustydragon.blogspot.com) - A 4th Edition Conversion Project Covering Paizo's Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path
I can understand this decision.

When they first imagined the various digital tools, way back when, they came up with the 4 things that they figured that people would want:
  • Character builder;
  • Character visualizer;
  • Virtual Game Table;
  • Dungeon Builder.

There was probably some discussion on how it would be cool to be able to take the output from one and pull it into another, especially with the Dungeon Builder and the Game Table.

The following was imagined after 3 bottles of coke and a couple bags of skittles. And semblance to reality should be considered tenuous, at best.

[INDENT]The Character builder was released, and quickly became favourite amongst many of the staff members. However there was still a significant number of holdouts who preferred the "right way" to make a character. Paper, pencil and flipping pages. "It's a fad" they said.

And then, lo, the shining voice of Chris Perkins emerged from the darkness:

[indent]There are lots of tools for players, but why not get more tools for DMs. Let them make the dungeon, populate it, build encounters and manage their whole campaign.[/indent]

There was a pause, followed by a hue and cry from the rest of the staff.

[indent]Our DMs will never stand for that! Encounters, campaigns, combat. You cannot reduce those things to electrons! They are living, breathing creations. Our DMs would not stand for that.[/indent]

Chris Perkins smiled at them with the amused smile of a father looking at his child who just told him that it would be a good idea to mix chocolate in with the spaghetti sauce.

[indent]Go ahead, ask them, those who would use our products. Ask them whether they would like this idea.[/indent]

And lo, the response came back overwhelmingly in favour of this idea, and a new path was chosen.[/INDENT]

In all seriousity, doing the campaign tools first has the opportunity to be a good thing for WotC. If they ensure that the output of the campaign manager is able to be fully intergrated into the Game table, the release of the game table will be greeted with not only the content that has been put out by WotC, but with Content that has been created by the customers.

WotC will know, with the GT, what is required due to what people are creating, as opposed to finding out afterwards what people are creating with the campaign manager. The Campaign Manager can thus become, in my mind, the central tool from which the other tools are launched for the DM. Dungeon Builder, Game Table, a tool to manage combat.

I think the old saying is "Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya"

Bye bye
Ok...clarification.

Yes...I'd like to see the game table first. That's me being greedy.

But my schedule means I can only play online now. So a tool that directly enables that is at the top of *my* list.

Campaign tools are all well and good. To me they only really come into use if linked to other tools. Direct import from a character builder...export to a game table...things like that.

So...I'm disappointed that the next tool isn't what *I* would most like.

I'm very pleased to hear solid news.
I think those of that did the initial buy-in under the anticipated production of the Visual Table Top would at least like to know that there is a back burner.

It seems by their own admission that they were working solely on the CB previously. They now announce these campaign tools, and ignore the VTT. If their attention was hard pressed with CB (to the exclusion of all other projects if I read correctly), now that they are doing campaign tool and still updating CB will there actually be ANY work done on the VTT at all?

Many of us have waited patiently for the VTT to reach fruition. We were saddened to see the VTT and character visualizer pulled from the webpage of DDI but understood that they took some heat on the delays over CB launch so those loyal fans practiced "don't ask/wait for them to tell."

But if the VTT is totally getting sidelined (more like the injured reserve as it seems it will be ignored in development as it has been in this communication), this requires some customer relations on the part of Wizards.

I talked about this on my previous rants. I was directed here hoping to see some glimmer of hope and recommitment on Wizard's part toward developing the VTT as one of the key components of the 4th edition/DDI package they used to drive initial interest in their new product line. I have yet to see that have the slightest concern over this additional delay of VTT.

If they are so cavalier about a subject that was their pursuading argument (and the hook I bit upon) then I seem to have significant differences with the folks running this company.

I am not saying that we have not gotten value for what we paid thus far (some folks keep thinking that is my point). I am saying that we were lead to believe that our support of 4th edition and DDI would lead to these products. And now those products are in limbo, not being discussed, and if Ricky Ricardo was in my gaming group he would certainly tell Wizards, "You got some 'splainin' to do." As a customer I know I am waiting for the explanation and won't be returning to the store until I am satisfied.
Previously, we focused all of our energies and effort into making the Character Builder the best tool it could be. We're going to continue that focused effort as we move forward - we're just shifting our attention to the Campaign Tools. Once we have the Campaign Tools out and we're as happy with them as we are with the Character Builder, we'll have a better idea of what our next step is.

While I really love the Character Builder, I have to take issue with Trevor's statement. I and many others are still unable to update the CB on certain computers. This problem has existed since launch and shows no signs of being fixed. If that's WoTC's idea of making the CB "the best tool it could be", then I suggest we should all be more than a little concerned about the quality of the Campaign Manager or any other DDI program presented in the future.

I'm also concerned, based on Trevor's statement, that WoTC's limited resources are being shifted so completely to the CM that the problems with the CB will be given short shrift if they are given any attention at all. A little reassurance would go a long way here. What say you WoTC?
If I was the manager of this team, I would pull a google on them, and allow one day a week that they can work on any (d&d related) project they want - including the back-burnered tools, extra bonus tools for the website, heck updating the old web based Dungeon Tile builder with all the sets.
These guys might come up with an idea that no-one knew they needed, and the other projects would slowly move towards completion.
I'm assuming a number (1 or 2) of people on the team are staying on working on the character builder (and probably the compendium at the same time) as it does have a lot of monthly needed work, so other people could pop over and pitch in if thats what they feel like working on.
While I really love the Character Builder, I have to take issue with Trevor's statement. I and many others are still unable to update the CB on certain computers. This problem has existed since launch and shows no signs of being fixed. If that's WoTC's idea of making the CB "the best tool it could be", then I suggest we should all be more than a little concerned about the quality of the Campaign Manager or any other DDI program presented in the future.

I'm also concerned, based on Trevor's statement, that WoTC's limited resources are being shifted so completely to the CM that the problems with the CB will be given short shrift if they are given any attention at all. A little reassurance would go a long way here. What say you WoTC?

I tried to make it clear that as far as unreleased tools are concerned, we're focused on the Campaign Tools and not on anything else. We will constantly be working to update the Character Builder - which includes providing new content for it as that content becomes available, and fixing the bugs we come across.

As far as experiencing problems with updating, I have heard of some issues, but at this point many of the people I've seen have either had their bug fixed or adjusted settings to allow the CB to update. Have you contacted Customer Service to see if they can help you resolve the issue?
I think those of that did the initial buy-in under the anticipated production of the Visual Table Top would at least like to know that there is a back burner.

There's been a lot of work done on the Game Table and the Visualizer, and while we focus on the Campaign Tools, we're putting those and any other unreleased tool ideas to the side. I didn't use the phrase "we're putting those on the back burner" but that seems to be an appopriate way to think about it. Once we're done with the Campaign Tools we'll have a better idea of what our next step is.

It seems by their own admission that they were working solely on the CB previously. They now announce these campaign tools, and ignore the VTT. If their attention was hard pressed with CB (to the exclusion of all other projects if I read correctly), now that they are doing campaign tool and still updating CB will there actually be ANY work done on the VTT at all?

We're not currently doing any work on any unreleased tools except for the Campaign Tools. This means that currently no work is being done directly on the Game Table or the Visualizer.

...and if Ricky Ricardo was in my gaming group he would certainly tell Wizards, "You got some 'splainin' to do." As a customer I know I am waiting for the explanation and won't be returning to the store until I am satisfied.

Through various forms of feedback, including the survey that we put up here and other sites, it was determined that people wanted something like these Campaign Tools, and that most of these people wanted them before tools like the Game Table or the Visualizer. We listened. We're focusing our efforts on the tools that our community of players wanted the most. I can't really offer more of an explanation than that.
I'm satisfied with this annoucement, and it allows me to move forward with my plans. I'm irritated that it took this long to get an official statement that the other tools are not in active development, but I suppose I'll get over it. I am curious how the new Campaign Tools will affect the Dungeon Builder, whether it will be enveloped or remain seperate.
"Man is made God's plaything, and that is the best part of him. Therefore every man and woman should live life accordingly, and play the noblest games... Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing..." Plato, The Laws.
Trevor,

Thanks for the quick reply and for the clarification. I'm very happy to hear that the CB will continue to be given the attention it deserves and apologize if I misinterpreted your post.

As for my individual circumstance, I have tried to contact CS but have not had any success. I posted another message yesterday in the appropriate forum and I'm hoping for a response soon.
As someone who's forced to play pretty much exclusively online(Well, I suppose I could visit my parents house and convince my little sister to play. And I could go downtown and promise Ryan some cash to play with me, course, he'd spend it all on booze/other 'stuff', and I doubt either of them would enjoy/be good at the game.) I was saddened by the lack of the VTT, but then there are currently a couple decent 3rd party programs that can last me until then(MapTools, Gametable, others if your group only uses windows). There's no really 'good' substitute for the campaign tools, though, other then 'the old fashioned way' of course.
Personally, I see this as good news.

I never understood WOTC spending money on a character visualizer. It adds very little to the game in any area. It'd be one thing if I could design my own miniature, but a picture of my character adds very little to the game of D&D I play. My character is in my head. If I need a picture to fill in the little box on a character sheet, I'll find one on the internet. I don't need a WoW / EQ2 style character creator - I already have those.

The same thing goes for the game table. I can see a much greater use for this tool but, if my D&D friends are far away, I'm a lot more likely to just play WoW or Left 4 Dead with them. There are a lot of good electronic co-op games out there that will probably run circles around what WOTC could produce in the electronic game market.

If they really wanted to, WOTC should license D&D 4e out to a game publisher to make a DM-friendly Neverwinter Nights style game where a DM can control monsters and build stories around a group's adventures.

In my opinion, Wizards should focus their time, attention, and money on their core interest - pen and paper role playing games. I want to see further improvements to the character builder (custom and streamlined character sheets are my big request), I want to see continuing quality products like Open Grave, Draconomicon, and Dungeon Delve; I want to see better miniatures.
Thanks for the info. I'm one of the ones who actually WANTED the Campaign Manager before the Game Table and Visualizer. While it'd be nice to have those applications (and I know a lot of people invested in 4th Edition with the expectation of using them to play again), for those of us who play table-top D&D, the tools most useful to us are the Character Builder, Compendium, and now the Campaign Manager.

Eventually, I'd like to see the VTT, but mostly as a way to hop into a game on a whim if I get bored one night... Not necessarily to start a campaign.

I think WotC has made the right decision in choosing the next application and by asking feedback from the community, I think it shows they DO care about what we have to say and feel.

Thanks for the update and thanks for the hard work. If this tool is released before my next subscription period (December 09), I'll re-up.
Firstly, thank you for replying, Trevor, both here and on the http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1178374 thread.
There's been a lot of work done on the Game Table and the Visualizer, and while we focus on the Campaign Tools, we're putting those and any other unreleased tool ideas to the side. I didn't use the phrase "we're putting those on the back burner" but that seems to be an appopriate way to think about it. Once we're done with the Campaign Tools we'll have a better idea of what our next step is.

But as per the pep-talk/demonstration/presentation that announced 4th edition the marriage with DDI (including the Virtual Tabletop) was one of the biggest oohs and ahhs. It got me to lead the pack in my gaming cliques in the switch to 4th edition. To all those fans that did join the community based on that presentation and products that were being developed, I think a new presentation with these new parameters is in order. If you all only give a fraction of the energy and production effort that went into that first sales pitch I am sure this matter would be completely cleared up.

We're not currently doing any work on any unreleased tools except for the Campaign Tools. This means that currently no work is being done directly on the Game Table or the Visualizer.

You caught many fish with that initial sales pitch. You are now changing lures and bait and still expect us to bite. Some fish may continue to bite. Others that were attracted to the old bait my stop feeding.

Through various forms of feedback, including the survey that we put up here and other sites, it was determined that people wanted something like these Campaign Tools, and that most of these people wanted them before tools like the Game Table or the Visualizer. We listened. We're focusing our efforts on the tools that our community of players wanted the most. I can't really offer more of an explanation than that.

But a more detailed should be offered. If only 5% of the energy and production effort that went into creating that initial sales pitch were to be spent communicating DDI's current major project and reaffirm those that bought into 4th edition for the VTT that it is real and on the way I think you could serve both audiences.

Personally, I think addressing the poll results to set your agenda unwise. Those that want other products that were not on your agenda would not be expecting them and so you cause no friction by making those products later. Those that have been biding their time for VTT should have been served before them.

To make matters worse, it seems that VTT is not only having other projects cut in line ahead of it, but there are no assurances that line jumping will not happen again.

Things are looking bad for VTT.

If things continue on a dismal course, I will be getting rather cynical and might speculate as to why this occurring. As for now, I am just happy that someone that is closer the situation at least understands why there is concern. I can only hope it travels further up the chain and VTTs future can be mapped more clearly ASAP.
This proves the WOTC are flat out liars. in this DI article:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/insidernews/20080917a

It was stated that after the character maker was done, they would work on the viewer. Now all of a sudden they drop that and work on a new tool when the three other main tools they promised are not ready. How do we know WOTC won't drop the campaign manager when a new survey tells them the public wants something else?
just wanted to stress again, that a "campaign manager" is a very loosely defined application, and you (WOTC) better define upfront what will be contained within it.

as can be seen in [thread=1176435]this thread[/thread], opinions on what should or should not be included varies greatly. getting high hopes up from everyone, only to disappoint like 2/3rds, will do you nothing good.

so get those previews, feature lists, and what SpawnOfMorgoth called a sales pitch back up again.

give me a proper presentation and later on a good dm-tool, and i'll for sure subscribe longer than the time it takes me to get divine power in the cb.
Here be dragons: IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cydyvkj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c54g6ac/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/csw6fhj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cbxbgmp/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cz7v5bd/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/ccg9eld/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c8szhnn/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cp68b5u/.gif)
56767308 wrote:
Sadly, I don't think this has anything to do with wanting Next to be a great game. It has to do with wanting Next to determine who won the Edition War. [...] For those of us who just want D&D Next to be a good game, this is getting to be a real drag.
57870548 wrote:
I think I figured it out. This program is a character builder, not a character builder. It teaches patience, empathy, and tolerance. All most excellent character traits.

It was stated that after the character maker was done, they would work on the viewer. Now all of a sudden they drop that and work on a new tool when the three other main tools they promised are not ready. How do we know WOTC won't drop the campaign manager when a new survey tells them the public wants something else?

I have to say that I am absolutely shocked that, over the course of 7 months, a business plan can change.

Shocked I tell you!!
I have to say that I am absolutely shocked that, over the course of 7 months, a business plan can change.

Shocked I tell you!!

and i am shocked to see, that after our long discussion in the vcl-forum, you still come up with such posts
56767308 wrote:
57870548 wrote:

Why don't you sell your books and quit the game if WotC is so evil? Situations changed, they have admitted past mistakes, they have told us before that after tackling the CB they would weight their options, they have made a survey, released the results of said survey and they will act upon them.

And as a DM, I much prefer DM tools to PC tools, so may PC's burn in hell, bwahahahahahaha.

Also, thanks Wotc for releasing this tidbit of news, I for one am hoping these campaign tools turn out as well as your previous 2 tools.
It is not the consumer's fault that we are upset about DDI. I've said this before, and I will say it again(in fact, I reposted this post before), the consumers did not advertise these programs and services, WotC did. WotC advertised it as a major selling point of the system. For many of us, that selling point is what caused us to purchase the game. If many of you don't remember, WotC offerred the following glimpse at 4th edition prior to the books being released, pay attention to the last two clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_e5wAUwdmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slLNNbcgiSs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLXuMb6WWw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj-9vMYGu0Q&feature=related

I remember how pumped up I got thinking about playing online with my friends. We are all busy irl with family and professional responsibilities and the VTT was going to make getting together for a game much easier.

Then, the core books come out and if you don't remember, the ad's in the back say the following:

"Combat Improves When You Add A Mouse" Bring even more to your game table with D&D Insider. With quick access to exclusive material and digital tools D&DI will help enhance every aspect of your tabletop game. And, with D&DI, you can take your game online, so you can play with friends anywhere-wherever they live, wherever you go.

Of course we all remember that DDI was not available upon the release of the books, but they did have lots of advertisements for it. They finally released DDI which was composed of Dungeon and Dragon magazines, the compendium, and some bonus tools.

At that point they had the words COMING SOON! written above the CB, DB, CV, and VTT. WotC came out and said, "hey everyone, we know we don't have a lot of the stuff we promised, but if you sign up now we will lock in your billing price for the remainder of your subscription, even when all the other tools come out."

A lot of people are probably in the same boat as me and thought: "You know, I really am not interested in the E-Zines and I really want DDI mainly for the VTT, but hey, it says coming soon and surely the CB,VTT,CV,DB will be out before too long, it says so right on the advertisement. I might as well buy it now."

One could argue that it was deceptive business practice. They advertised advertised advertised, got people to subscribe, then took all of it down from the site and are now saying "we have decided to work on other projects at this time."

Most of us who are upset have very valid reasons. I have no major complaints about the CB or 4th edition in general. However, I have invested thousands of dollars in D&D over the years and I feel tricked into purchasing 4th edition and subscribing to DDI.

My gaming friends are spread all over the country and we are all busy irl. The VTT was the reason we all converted to 4th edition. I know there are alternate online table-tops out there, and we will gladly use them. But we all spent money to get a product that was advertised that never came into fruition.

I appreciate the head's up from WotC that the VTT has been canned, but we could have used that information a few months ago. An apology would be nice.
Thank you for the update. Any chance you would consider letting a qualified fan or two taking on some of these backburner projects? I am sure there are plenty of fans that would be willing to work on these for the love of the game and not for profit.
Ron R. Odonus
Guys, give it time! 3.5 didn't come out all finished and complete and perfect. What makes you think that 4E would?

It's a progression, they will release things in good time. Tools and everything. They will fix things, and work on things, and update things as the game progresses. Be patient.
I am the God of Dragons! Hail Wizards and it's mighty awesomeness for finally addressing some of the issues we had with the old forums and website! It's about damn time this place got an overhaul! Wahoo!

brotherjgizmo, thanks for the link in your post that helps give credence to the implied order of development CB then CV then VTT. We now know that we weren't just imagining things.

Shocked I tell you!!

Your inability to acknowledge another's salient point (even if you think he should be flagged for excessive celebration after finding that nugget) makes me think you might need to put the Kool-Aid down.
Thanks for the update! Its understandable the direction WOTC has taken. And i applaud Trevor for revisiting the thread and clarifying in a nice, professional manner.

I, like many, are sad that the VTT is not currently being worked on. I've mentioned before how that was my sole reason for buying all my 4E books (and I refuse to use other VTTs) I can't help but feel screwed over. By the situation, not by individuals. I might dislike WOTC as a company, however, I really do like the individuals that work there. ;)

Keep up the good work. If your campaign tools are as high quality as the CB I hope you'll draw in more subscribers and then revisit the other tools sometime in the future.

Thanks!

If it DOES subsume the Dungeon Mapper, that would quiet my griping down a lot. Out of the originally promised tools, the Dungeon Mapper is the one that I was most looking forward to just because it is the most useful to me. So if these "campaign tools" do have that functionality, then I don't mind them being the next thing worked on.
P.S. I should also add that I do appreciate someone from the company coming out and flatly stating what they are and are not working on. Keep it up.:D

Yea, and Duke Nukem hasn't been cancelled yet either.

:P
WOTC Podcast: "The web is a shortcut" "Piracy was a big thing"