Dragon 372 - Deities & Demigods: Bane

135 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon 372
Deities & Demigods: Bane

by Ari Marmell

Called the Black Hand and the Iron General, Bane stands as the god of war and conquest. Bahamut fights for justice, Kord as a show of strength, Gruumsh for love of carnage, but Bane fights with the world as his prize.

Talk about this article here.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/372_bane.jpg)
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

They delayed the Shadar-Kai article for this? Its nearly all fluff, the stat block for Bane himself is notably absent though we've seen Venica and Tiamat. There is a mediocre channel divinity feat and equally mediocre paragon path but aside from that all I see is fluff. Rather dissapointing given what we expected to see today.
I am actually GLAD there were no stats for Bane - I honestly don't like stats for gods.

I am alittle disappointed that the core Bane looks like a Ares from Greek Myth. I can understand why Core Bane and FR Bane would have different histories but why can't they look the same?? I like how the FR Bane looks.Oh well - just a minor thing I guess.

It was nice to finally see the Channel Divinity feat for Bane though. Good article though!

Glad to see the Deities & Demigods article back - it is one of my favorites.

Okay time to bring on an article about Sehanine or Selune now! :D
I am actually GLAD there were no stats for Bane - I honestly don't like stats for gods.

D&D has seen stats for dieties since the AD&D 1e days of TSR, and people have used them since then. Some of us actually like to have them, and the problem that most people who don't like gods having stats usually stems around the belief that anything with stats becomes killable, which isn't true, try killing the terrasque as it appears in the monster manual. It never dies for good, and if you read the side bar with Tiamat you'll see that she is hard to kill permanently as well. I for one would have much rather seen stats for Bane.
I for one would have much rather seen stats for Bane.

James Wyatt, Chris Youngs, and I discussed whether or not to include stats for Bane, and the decision was not to do so.

Here's the thing (and one of the developers--though I forget, at the moment, who it was--has talked about this online before). Only some of the gods are of a level that can be battled by mortals. Characters cannot rise above 30th level, after all. So a god that's 35th level--like Vecna, for instance--can be fought. If a god is, say, in the upper 30s or even the 40s in terms of level, then it is not possible, by the rules, for the PCs to face them personally. Gods of those levels don't require stats, since those stats don't serve any purpose.

As far as the rest of the article, I'm sorry you didn't care for it, but I appreciate your thoughts.
Ari Marmell aka Mouseferatu --Rodent of the Dark www.mouseferatu.com Twitter Facebook
Excellent article, Ari.

I was a big fan of the Core Beliefs articles by Sean K Reynolds in Dragon. This kinda puts me in mind of that series. I enjoyed this immensely. Hope to see more Deities and Demigods soon ;).
/\ Art
I also say: Excellent article, Ari.

I love the channel divinity feat (a first I belive...for an evil god), I also like the way you handled making it "I can't belive it's not bane" instead of trying to wedge FR lore into the POL base.

The only complaint I have is a I do feel there was a missed oppertunity here...I think Bane should have a cool taclord/angle type hybrid that runs the oaragon level to go with all the epic stuff

However since you brought it up, I assume you feel bane should be over level 35...how high would you rate him? It was tossed around pre launch that moradian was a Solo 37 or 38 or so...iin your mind what level would bane be???

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

However since you brought it up, I assume you feel bane should be over level 35...how high would you rate him? It was tossed around pre launch that moradian was a Solo 37 or 38 or so...iin your mind what level would bane be???

Well, keeping in mind that this is entirely personal opinion, and not any sort of official answer...

I think it makes sense that the various martial/war gods are among the most powerful of the pantheon, at least in terms of combat ability. So if we assume that Moradin is 38th level, I would probably place Bane somewhere between a 38 and a 40.

Of course, by the time you get to numbers that high, they're basically meaningless. ;)
Ari Marmell aka Mouseferatu --Rodent of the Dark www.mouseferatu.com Twitter Facebook
Maglubiyet is, by far, the strongest exarch to date. Level 32 and a solo? I would have preferred him to be around Baphomet's level (28). Or keep him as 32, but maintain him as an elite like Doresain and the other exarchs. Nothing a little level reduction won't fix. :P

In any case, I absolutely love Inescapable Death. Slowed while bloodied! Woohoo!

And the rest of the article is also very good. I liked how Bane manages to have two aspects, and I could use them as basis for real Bane's stats if I decide to make him a campaign big bad.

My only major problem with the article is: Why the heck does Bane look like King Leonidas? @__@
Me Kruzko, me bard... And me sing song for you! Explore Philippine Mythology for your 4E game, and visit us at Nosfecatu Publishing!
Maglubiyet is, by far, the strongest exarch to date. Level 32 and a solo? I would have preferred him to be around Baphomet's level (28). Or keep him as 32, but maintain him as an elite like Doresain and the other exarchs. Nothing a little level reduction won't fix. :P

My only major problem with the article is: Why the heck does Bane look like King Leonidas? @__@

Maglubiyet doesn't serve a wannabe like Orcus, though. He was a deity in his own right until Bane decided that he wanted the goblinoids' worship.

And Bane looks Spartan/like Ares because the Spartans would have been a wonderful match to Bane, considering their traditions of killing any unhealthy children, forcing them to fend for themselves for a time, having every adult male be a soldier first, foremost, and only, and having most of the work done by slaves. They weren't necessarily evil, but they were ruthless, harsh, and disciplined.
James Wyatt, Chris Youngs, and I discussed whether or not to include stats for Bane, and the decision was not to do so.

And in this instance I find myself in perfect agreement with you.

However I will say that it's a real shame that the core "Bane" hijacks the name of the longstanding FR deity Bane. But that's a 4e design team decision and no reflection on your article (which I can't comment on since I'm not paying for DDI access).
Shemeska the Marauder, Freelancer 5 / Yugoloth 10
Pffft, I LOVE the Ares-esque picture of Bane. Completely fits imo.

That's a cool pic :D.

As far as stats for Bane: I've seen the stats they gave Tiamat and Vecna. I'm not an opimizer, and I'm prolly missing something. I can't see how any level 30 PC would ever be able to touch these guys though; not without a whole lot of luck.

So, optimizers, I've got a quickie for ya (off the top of my head) ;): Assuming a primary stat of 16, a +2 racial bonus, that starts you with 18. Then, assuming you focus and pump it up by eight points over a 30-level career, you'll max out at 28 (+2 if you choose Demigod epic destiny).

At 30th level, you get +15 to hit, a +9 ability bonus, a +6 magical weapon bonus; this totals up to +30 bonus. Assuming you get lucky and roll a 10 on the d20, that gives you a result of 40. Vecna's got an AC of 49. So, how do ya do it? I really want to knock Vecna out (some day ;)). Not to derail the thread, but since the issue of deity stats came up, I'm curious ;).
/\ Art
I like the idea of Bane as a Knight Templar: he's evil and ruthless, but he sees that those are the only ways to a stable universe, and to prevent a second Primordial War. It makes his goal of universal domination rather believable, rather than the generic "Rawr! I be evil! Universe is mine!"

Very nice article! :D
"Rawr! I be evil! Universe is mine!"

That would be Bane the Lol-Cat. ;)

"I can haz bloodshed nao?"

Very nice article! :D

Thanks.
Well, keeping in mind that this is entirely personal opinion, and not any sort of official answer...

I think it makes sense that the various martial/war gods are among the most powerful of the pantheon, at least in terms of combat ability. So if we assume that Moradin is 38th level, I would probably place Bane somewhere between a 38 and a 40.

Of course, by the time you get to numbers that high, they're basically meaningless. ;)

*immediately sets to work spreading the "It's official! Bane is level 39!!!" rumor on the Internets.*
I really enjoyed this article. It actually made me want to play a soldier of Bane. Bane having two aspects was a nice touch.
So I guess this is the first paragon path that is legal in LFR but that nobody can qualify for ;)

Gomez

Here's the thing (and one of the developers--though I forget, at the moment, who it was--has talked about this online before). Only some of the gods are of a level that can be battled by mortals. Characters cannot rise above 30th level, after all. So a god that's 35th level--like Vecna, for instance--can be fought. If a god is, say, in the upper 30s or even the 40s in terms of level, then it is not possible, by the rules, for the PCs to face them personally. Gods of those levels don't require stats, since those stats don't serve any purpose.

While I dislike the lack of stats, I can certainly understand that reason. However I have to ask, why didn't you include an aspect or avatar(I forgot which is the proper term) of Bane then?
While I dislike the lack of stats, I can certainly understand that reason. However I have to ask, why didn't you include an aspect or avatar(I forgot which is the proper term) of Bane then?

There were two aspects in the article. Both the Centurion and the Imperator are aspects of Bane, just ones that each fulfill a different purpose.
Gods of those levels don't require stats, since those stats don't serve any purpose.

I was afraid the design team was thinking this. The absolute lack of all but one good creature in the MM was a tip off. Clearly 4e is desigined so good aligned monsters, creatures, and gods don't help the players. However if you have several primordials rise up, like Imix and Olhydra and/or any of the other bigger primordials which should also be over lvl 35 you'd need something like Bane (and his stats) because you can't convince me that should these primordials come back out and make a make another attack on the astral sea Bane wouldn't think twice about helping. All the fluff and history you are putting out on this Gods vs Primordials war just begs for an epic campaign ending with the players fighting along side gods but your refusal to give stats to the gods (or any other intelligent good being for that matter) just kills that.

Actually, it's anything BUT meaningless. Sure, it's meaningless for those players and DM's who choose to follow the Core rules exactly as they are, but some of us enjoy the idea of perhaps having our players eventually face a dilemma where the gods themselves come into contact with a considerable danger against their very existence, or where a god is clever enough to come up with a plan to rule the astral sea and it's up to the players (with DM design), to defeat that god, regardless of level. Or as Verbrandsson said, perhaps the actual war of primordials vs the gods erupts again in a particular campaign and you need the gods stats to determine the outcome of battles.

The monsters and characters WotC makes for the game shouldn't be limited to what the CORE rules say a player group can statistically fight at their maximum level. They SHOULD be limited to monsters and opponents you think your players might want to actually use, regardless of level.

You did write an exceptional article, at least IMO, but the exclusion of Bane himself kills all of the enthusiasm I had to read the article in the first place, having had the precedent set for god stats with the Draconomicon and Open Grave. And seriously, PLEASE don't ever say they "don't serve any purpose". That's going against the very principle of D&D game design WotC has touted for over a decade. Like I said prior, even if the Core rules don't give that monster design purpose (because honestly, Vecna and Tiamat are RIDICULOUS to fight against, even at lvl 30), some DM's WILL find a home for those stats, and very much appreciate having the stats available for them.

I hope you take all of that into consideration, and hope that you perhaps release a stat block for Bane along with the full release of Dragon at the end of the month, and that WotC continues to release more god stats, regardless of level. Yes, some of us don't want god stats; but many of us do. Thanks for listening.

EDIT: P.S. As an idea for god stats, WotC should take into consideration a level limit for gods and primordials in general, even if they can't normally be fought by mortals or demigods. After all, if their THAT much more powerful than some of the evil gods and primordials they have trouble facing, those very same evil gods and primordials wouldn't still be holding those seats of power. As an example, Moradin, Pelor, and Bahamut wouldn't have had as much trouble with Mual-Tar as his article suggests if they were, stat level wise, 40+. They would've destroyed the serpent, not imprisoned him.
Just a housekeeping issue, but the "Playing Shadar-Kai" link in the Dragon 372 table of contents also leads to the Bane article.

Didn't know of any other way to contact you guys, so there you go
THIS! IS! SPAARTAAAAA!

IMAGE(http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7837/gurrendanavatar80x80gi6.png)
-Joni
There were two aspects in the article. Both the Centurion and the Imperator are aspects of Bane, just ones that each fulfill a different purpose.

:embarrass I feel like an idiot. I skimmed the article before I posted and noticed that none of the monsters had Bane on top of the stat blocks. A shame I didn't look to the left of the first stat block.

EDIT: P.S. As an idea for god stats, WotC should take into consideration a level limit for gods and primordials in general, even if they can't normally be fought by mortals or demigods. After all, if their THAT much more powerful than some of the evil gods and primordials they have trouble facing, those very same evil gods and primordials wouldn't still be holding those seats of power. As an example, Moradin, Pelor, and Bahamut wouldn't have had as much trouble with Mual-Tar as his article suggests if they were, stat level wise, 40+. They would've destroyed the serpent, not imprisoned him.

It was heavily implied in the article on Mual-Tar that he had weakened tremendously over time. So his current level is not a representation of his power at the time of the Dawn War. Additionally, I believe the gods are suppose to have gotten stronger since that time period.
That's a cool pic :D.

As far as stats for Bane: I've seen the stats they gave Tiamat and Vecna. I'm not an opimizer, and I'm prolly missing something. I can't see how any level 30 PC would ever be able to touch these guys though; not without a whole lot of luck.

So, optimizers, I've got a quickie for ya (off the top of my head) ;): Assuming a primary stat of 16, a +2 racial bonus, that starts you with 18. Then, assuming you focus and pump it up by eight points over a 30-level career, you'll max out at 28 (+2 if you choose Demigod epic destiny).

At 30th level, you get +15 to hit, a +9 ability bonus, a +6 magical weapon bonus; this totals up to +30 bonus. Assuming you get lucky and roll a 10 on the d20, that gives you a result of 40. Vecna's got an AC of 49. So, how do ya do it? I really want to knock Vecna out (some day ;)). Not to derail the thread, but since the issue of deity stats came up, I'm curious ;).

Well as for weapons you're not including the prof. bonus, so that's another +2 or +3. Most everything that hits AC uses a weapon.

Add in also that there are feats that grant attack bonuses when used correctly and you've got yourself another +1 or +2. Also most people that attack AC are martial and it's a good chance that they started with a base 20 in their primary attack stat (for striker at the least, it's less likely the fighter did).

So by my calculations that +30 to attack is really closer to a +34-35. That means you only need to get a 14-15 to hit Vecna's AC and that's pretty fair in my opinion of most the early battles I've fought in. We're still not calculating in all the powers, potions, abilities, and statuses that can increase that (such a flanking).

So yeah, were I given the forewarning that I'd be fighting Vecna before I built the character, I believe I could hit his AC about 25-40% of the time.
:embarrass I feel like an idiot. I skimmed the article before I posted and noticed that none of the monsters had Bane on top of the stat blocks. A shame I didn't look to the left of the first stat block.

It was heavily implied in the article on Mual-Tar that he had weakened tremendously over time. So his current level is not a representation of his power at the time of the Dawn War. Additionally, I believe the gods are suppose to have gotten stronger since that time period.

Although that is true, the idea that evil deity's roam around at the levels we've seen them at whilst good deity's of power exceeding them by more than 5 levels exist is rather ridiculous. Evil deity's don't protect each other, so why shouldn't Bahamut and Moradin get together and kill Tiamat so that Bahamut can do his job unperturbed? It's just an example, but you can see the various similar situations all around.
I have been developing an urban campaign and I wanted the city to have a 50's East Berlin feel. Something where people were afraid to speak up and everything is dark and shady, but it functions. When looking at major diety options I struggled with the options available. I am not a fan of developing my own Cosmology. I liked Kord, but he just was not dark enough...

BAMMM!! Problem solved.

Thanks!

While I can understand your point I nonetheless have to say that this is or might be a reason why people complain about 4e - WotC's halfheartedly way of doing things. At first with the fluff (I think this is pretty clear), the alignment (PCs are supposed to be the shiny hereos and all), and stats (good monsters get no stats or just a few of them), and now again (and even more so) with the stats. Imo you should either give deities stats or don't. But not deciding for for the players who they're supposed to be and whom they're gonna fight.
That said, keep on stating out deities. I appreciate any new stats for any of them.

Sorry to say that but this makes no sense at all, to me, at least. Just because 4e stats represent combat abilities exclusively doesn't mean that the war gods are the most powerful or even among the most powerful deities floating around. And even less sense if you put in martial gods. I mean why should a 'martial god' necessarily be more powerful than a 'non-martial god' or 'arcane god'? It's a little bit controversial since battling with martial abilities isn't the only way of participating in combat.

Anyway, lvl 38 would be the lvl I placed Bane, too. Well, of course, the FR Bane ;)
Someone saved a thread with my old signature by accident? Please PM me!

Although that is true, the idea that evil deity's roam around at the levels we've seen them at whilst good deity's of power exceeding them by more than 5 levels exist is rather ridiculous. Evil deity's don't protect each other, so why shouldn't Bahamut and Moradin get together and kill Tiamat so that Bahamut can do his job unperturbed? It's just an example, but you can see the various similar situations all around.

Well, for one, if you take a look, there's a lot more evil/chaotic evil gods (8, 9 if you count Tharzidun) than there are good/lawful good ones (4) - and if the G/LG gods started banding together to bash the E/CE gods, you can bet that the E/CE gods wouldn't be stupid enough to not form some sort of alliance, even if they ended up betraying each other later on.

Second, while the lack of Bane stats irks me, I suppose I understand why they weren't there if Bane is of such a power level as to be unkillable by PC's. But that just brings up another issue to me - why are some gods killable and some not? Hm. Seems arbitrary to me, but whatever. "Oh, well, if you'd chosen to **** off Vecna in your campaign, then you could actually have an epic fight against the big man himself at the end. But since you were silly enough to pick a different god to fight, you don't get to do anything to him directly, because he's just too awesome." I get that evil gods are of differing power levels, but I also think that its silly to have this fantastic BBEG category of "Evil God" and have only some of them killable (or at least defeatable), but others not.

Well, the rest of the article was quite good. I like the PC options, and seeing a Channel Divinity for an evil god is nifty.
I am sorely dissappointed at the lack of Bane's stats. It's not just Bane's either, it's the implication that we'll never see Level 35+ statblocks for exceptionally powerful beings.

What's the point of the Monster Builder bonus tool even going up to level 40 if no official stats at the level are going to be released? To give us the option of houseruling the stats ourselves? WELL! Then level 35+ statblocks aren't so "useless" afterall, if you acknowledge that people are going to use them anyway.

There was another thread on these boards talking about how Vecna, as a level 35 Solo LEADER, would require a level 36 encounter to at least function properly (I.E. to get any use out of being a Leader, he would require sevitors and minions, who's very pressence ups to XP total of the encounter to beyond level 35). It was suggested there that if you're intention is to fight a god higher level than 35, it would require a kind of "arms race" where the party adventures at level 30 for a while, and the DM keeps dolling out tiny bonuses, essentially advancing in power even if you can't level, until the party can confront the god.

...Regardless of whether this kind of campaign is supported or not (needing to be entirely houseruled), it goes to show that the player community is more creative than the designers are currently giving us credit for.

Give us God Stats. We will figure out how to use them.
Planes Wanderer
Since 4e statblocks are so much shorter than 3.x statblocks I think Bane's stats should have been included, even if he would have been a lvl 38 solo (as if that would stop the people on the char opt boards to solo him within a few hours after the stats becoming avaible )

Too bad, I was really considering to indeed buy a one month subscription just to see Bane himself. The first time I was truly considering spending money on an e-zine, even if only temporarily for a single month.
Second, while the lack of Bane stats irks me, I suppose I understand why they weren't there if Bane is of such a power level as to be unkillable by PC's. But that just brings up another issue to me - why are some gods killable and some not? Hm. Seems arbitrary to me, but whatever. "Oh, well, if you'd chosen to **** off Vecna in your campaign, then you could actually have an epic fight against the big man himself at the end. But since you were silly enough to pick a different god to fight, you don't get to do anything to him directly, because he's just too awesome." I get that evil gods are of differing power levels, but I also think that its silly to have this fantastic BBEG category of "Evil God" and have only some of them killable (or at least defeatable), but others not.

Two things. The stated gods so far are weaker than true gods. Venca isn't a true god. He was a powerful human who got his ascension ritual interrupted by his right hand man. So it makes sense he would be weaker than all the other gods. Same for Tiamet, she's just half of a broken greater god.
The other is that if you want an evil god BBEG I would think that a quest line to grab a Mcguffin to weaken him enough to be beatable. Like temporarily break Bane into his two aspects.
What is the purpose of an article about Bane... with no Bane stats?! Don't decide for the DMs and players what's good for them, please.

Actually, my players wanted to kill Bane at 30th level ever since Rich Baker stated that it should be possible for the players to do so (these words of his are probably one of the commonest quotations concerning 4e gods). We wanted to acquire some items that wood boost our stats and enable us to challenge such a foe. It is what an epic adventure is about - mission impossible... and yet it turns out to be possible.

I hope for an errata, REALLY.
I think if they don't errata something soon, I'm going to use the Monster Builder to MAKE a level 39 Bane and post it on this thread.

Seriously. Don't tell us what's good for our game.
Planes Wanderer
Anyone can generate a stat block. It's the lore that makes this article shine. Kudos Ari.
Brian R. James Freelance Game Designer
Anyone can generate a stat block. It's the lore that makes this article shine. Kudos Ari.

Anyone can generate lore as well. Creating a balanced solo monster is actually more difficult for me than spinning stories.

If WotC provides statblock for gods, let's stick to this policy and include all gods. For me it's cooler to fight Bane than Vecna or Tiamat, since I find the former more intresting.

I have the same problem, but my choice Greek icon would be Ares.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
Anyone can generate a stat block.

Seriously. For the 2-3 campaigns in which it might come up, it would take nearly no effort at all to extrapolate 38th-40th level stats based on the Centurion and Imperator. Or, even more appropriately, you would develop the story in such a way that the final confrontation is on the heroes' terms (perhaps through the blessing or aid of another divine being or the use of a relic or an appeal to the god's twisted sense of honor) and downgrade Bane to a more manageable threat.

Instead of people focusing on how to use the material we got, this thread turned into a "Bad DM Convention" pretty quickly. If you need the stats, do it. If you're not willing or able to put together your BBEG for a so-called "epic confrontation" then you don't have a lot of room to throw stones. It looks to me like people are just complaining because they need/want something to complain about. Errata? Please. That's a bit dramatic (plus, even if it were included it wouldn't technically be errata anyways, because its not a mistake. They just didn't include what you wanted). And if you're willing to do all the work to break the game out of the 30-level box, writing up a stat block is the least of your worries.

If you like high level stat-blocks, that's fine. I like them myself, if only because I enjoy being able to compare and contrast godlike powers. I don't think anyone here really believes that there won't eventually be a Deities and Demigods style book at some point. That's a cash-cow that's gotta be milked every edition, and I can't imagine that 4e will be any different. But to act like that stuff "has to be included" is absurd. Most people, even the people who actually like reading that kind of stuff, will never ever use it.

As it is, I think that the material we got was very usable. It's the kind of material that could be dropped in, nearly whole cloth, regardless of campaign or setting. I 'like' the paragon path and Channel Divinity feat, but I am not enamored with either.
Since 4e statblocks are so much shorter than 3.x statblocks I think Bane's stats should have been included, even if he would have been a lvl 38 solo

I'm sure the word count isn't the reason the stats were excluded. Building stats--good stats--for a god is probably one of the most daunting parts of writing an article like this.

I'd rather have no stats than stats that are merely an afterthought. Doing them this way allows the writers to approach the problem when they have the time budget and epic-tier experience to do a real bang-up job.

Have we actually seen any good dieties that are five levels higher than any evil dieties? So far I believe we have an evil demigod at 32, two evil dieties at 35, one good diety who is theoretically level 37-38, and one evil diety who is theoretically 39-40. I realize that there are a lot of dieties left to be statted out, but I doubt that there will be too much favor for the good aligned dieties in the long run as far as levels go. Besides killing a diety requires you to overcome discorporation. Maybe the good dieties just don't know how to permenantly kill any of the remaining evil dieties.

Sorry to say that but this makes no sense at all, to me, at least. Just because 4e stats represent combat abilities exclusively doesn't mean that the war gods are the most powerful or even among the most powerful deities floating around. And even less sense if you put in martial gods. I mean why should a 'martial god' necessarily be more powerful than a 'non-martial god' or 'arcane god'? It's a little bit controversial since battling with martial abilities isn't the only way of participating in combat.

Anyway, lvl 38 would be the lvl I placed Bane, too. Well, of course, the FR Bane ;)

I would imagine that "martial" gods would be more powerful simply because they would have more followers and worshipers. It could obviously be different in different campaigns, but I think it is safe to say that a large percentage of the population in most worlds would be using the martial power source(well assuming that they even get up to the point of utilizing a power source). I mean which is easier, throwing armor on a person and teaching him to swing a weapon or teaching a person how to tell physics to shut up and sit in the corner?

Heck even non-martial characters would have a tendancy in certain circumstances to worship those dieties because they tend to be the ones associated with victory in war.