Environments for failed installed

67 posts / 0 new
Last post
In order to help us diagnose the common issues that people may be having, I'd like to ask those who have had problems installing and have time to do so, to post the following information in this thread:

Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version:
Windows Operating System:
Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc):
User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc):
User mode when running Character Builder:
Changes to default options when installing (ie different location):
.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install:
Beta installed at some point:
Beta uninstalled before installing release version:
Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc)

Thank you for your continued patience. While the installation seems to be working for the vast majority of people, we are very keen to identify as many of the corner cases as possible that are causing problems for our customers.
In order to help us diagnose the common issues that people may be having, I'd like to ask those who have had problems installing and have time to do so, to post the following information in this thread:

Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version

Unknown. I get no errors when installing.

Windows Vista Home 32 bit

PC (Acer Laptop)

Admin

Admin

I have tried different locations on multiples attempts. Mostly the default location, but also a different location on a different partition of the drive. Result was the same either way.

Both. I have tried to uninstall 3.5 totally, installed from both a stand alone install and as part of the CB dwwnload, and have restarted my machine more times than I can count.

Both. I tried to install the Beta, but it never installed correctly. I have also tried the new installer. Both have achieved the same result every time. I see the splash screen and the "beginnings" of a new window that is totally blank (no buttons or controls of any kind)
Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc)

Nothing that I can think of. I've tried turning off my anti-virus program, etc. I should also point out that I have installed the software successfully on a desktop machine that is running almost identical software. I have tried to think of any potential software differences and I have yet to find any.

Thank you for your continued patience. While the installation seems to be working for the vast majority of people, we are very keen to identify as many of the corner cases as possible that are cause problems for our customers.

shakespeareguru

Is the updater window coming up in this mode, or the character builder itself?

Although it shouldn't be a problem, I'm wondering if this is an older laptop that is just having trouble rendering the application. WPF applications use the 3D hardware to render, and I'm wondering if your laptop has poor driver support.

It might also be worth ensuring that all the video card drivers are up to date.
Please help, I am not able to get this Character Builder to install, I actually can't get it to download. I first get the initial file "700_DDI_CB.exe", and double click it.

I get the splash screen that shows the image and says "D&D Insider" on top, the download bar at the bottom never starts to fill up, and I get the error message "Unable to connect to the Network. Please try again later."

I have been 'trying again later' for a couple of days with no luck. I have the .NET stuff installed correctly and I uninstalled the beta (which worked fine), I have also tried this on two other computers in my house (my son's and my wife's laptop), all three give the exact same error. We all use Visa Home Premium, 32 bit.

It almost seems like I can't get the download of the actual program to start? I have tried to disable the firewalls and virus protection as well, so that is not the issue.

Here are the answers to your question:

> Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version:
see description above.

> Windows Operating System:
32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium

> Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc):
PC

> User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc):
Admin (and I tried to also do this with properties set as "launch as admin" and also "xp compatible mode"

> User mode when running Character Builder:
When I had the beta (which worked fine), it was run in Admin mode.

> Changes to default options when installing (ie different location):
Can't get that far, won't download past splash screen

> .NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install:
Installed fine, worked fine with beta, even uninstalled and then put back on again to see if that was an issue and it was not, also tried this on 2 other machines in the same house and got the same probelm, all have the current .NET on them.

> Beta installed at some point:
Yes, and uninstalled before trying to install this, the other two systems in the house did NOT have beta installed on them and I got the same problem.

> Beta uninstalled before installing release version:
Yes

>Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc)
Home system using broadband, have no problems accessing anything on the internet in the past, even tried this with firewall disabled and virus disabled with no luck, same error.

Thank you!
D.
Given all the things you've tried I'm at a bit of a loss. I believe the setup downloader from the Solid State CDN is just using regular port 80 the same as http traffic.

The only thing I can think to suggest, is that if you are using a router it may be faulty and causing the problem since it is a consistent problem for all machines on your home network.

Although I know it is a pain, you might want to try connecting one of your computers directly to your modem and see if that helps. If you do this, make sure that your regular browser network is working before you try again. You may need to reboot your computer to get the network running in this mode.
I will try that and let you know (wont' be until later this evening), thanks for the info...

One other question, if this does not work, is there a way I can bypass the 700_DDI_CB.exe file and download the program directly? I have never had problems downloading anything in the past.

I am also not the only one with this issue, there are post from a few other people I have read with the exact same problem as me.

Thanks,
D.
Ok, I had some time now and took your suggestion. I disabled the router and hooked my main system directly into the modem. In order for it to work, I had to reprogram all of the IP addresses in manually, but once that was done, the D&D Character program (ddisetup.ext) downloaded perfectly (it was a 40 some odd meg file).

In anycase, I also double checked all of the router settings (It is a standard Linksys router) and they all appeared to be fine, although I am not a professional, I do know what I'm doing as far as computers go, so if you need to know anything specific from me to help address this problem, please feel free to let me know and I will do what I can to assist you. As I had said, I've read posts on the net from other's with this same problem, so there may be something preventing the program from downloading through some routers that are configured a certain way?

Even if this problem is not technically on your end (if it is the 'fault' of certain routers/networks/configurations/etc.) it should probably still be addressed in an FAQ to let people with the problem know what to do as a temp bypass, and possibly figure out what needs to be done to correct it in the future.

Thanks,
D.

P.S. I will switch everything back the way it was and see if it updates through to router as well, this will let you know if it is a problem with only the 700_DDI_CB.exe file when it attempts to download the ddisetup.exe file, or if it is a general problem on both... if it is, that is going to be a pain to disconnect the router each time I need an update, so let's hope we can iron this out soon and figure out specifically what is the cause.
Excellent news CardboardCarnage. And yes I will be very interested to see if you are able to patch to the full version through your router. If you are then on Monday I will talk to CS about whether whether they can provide a one off direct link for the "ddisetup.exe" to customers who call in with this issue.

The downloader is designed to keep the heavy lifting off our internal network and on to the high throughput servers of Solid State, however for one off fixes we may be able get the file to customers with this issue.

One of our Operations guys did tell me that he has had problems using VPN on some cheaper home routers where the router truncates the packets of information causing issues. This may be causing problems with Solid State's download.

I will also be investigating with business the feasibility of making the "ddisetup.exe" file more widely available on other file sharing sites in the future. We also need to evaluate and mitigate the risk of exposing our customers to false versions of the setup that contain viruses or Trojans.
Ok, I just wanted to give you a follow up... the file "ddisetup.exe" (the 40-ish meg file) works fine setup over the router system, the updates downloaded perfectly on the first attempt.

The problem appears to only occur with "700_DDI_CB.exe" is run while hooked through the router. I don't know if my router information will be helpful, or if I am using the same router as others with the problem, but I'm available if you have any questions, just reply here or send me a Private Message with the info you need.

Thanks,
D.
Yeah, I had assumed the reasons for having the initial file had something to do with not bogging down servers and being hit with a huge surge of downloads all at once. It never occurred to me that people may post bogus versions of the actual ddisetup.exe file if it was made public.

I am all set now, and it is working perfectly with the router, but it may be good to have a secret link you could provide the subscribers who can't get it to work, I had no problem switching the IP numbers around to hook directly into my modem, but I'm sure some people won't have a clue how to do that.

Again, if you have any specific questions for me that I can answer to help you with this, just let me know.

D.
Thanks for the very useful feedback CardboardCarnage.
> Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version:
Updater hangs (RealCharacterBuilderUpdater.exe) doing nothing, before it attempts to do anything. Stops responding to OS at all - won't even paint.

> Windows Operating System:
Vista Ultimate 64

> Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc):
PC (Thinkpad laptop)

> User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc):
User (before UAC elevates the installer)

> User mode when running Character Builder:
User

> Changes to default options when installing (ie different location):
None

> .NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install:
Preinstalled. Also fully patched, via WindowsUpdate.

> Beta installed at some point:
Yes, though thuroughly uninstalled - including full FS and reg searches, run as admin able to see everything, as well as manual inspection of all AppData, Program Files, and similar areas.

> Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc)
I run as a non-admin user. UAC, therefore, asks me for my admin user's credentials in order to elevate privs. I assume that the installers / elevated apps thus run as a different user from the one that started them.

CB couldn't deal with being started as a non-admin user, then elevating to a different user once it asked for elevated permissions. When I dug up my root password and logged in as that user, it was able to update. Please don't ever make me do that again (well, once more, when I get next month's patch, which should fix the problem)!

You should be able to repro this fairly easily. Just get a Vista box, and set up a second user as a regular user. Do all of your testing from that second user.
Koltec

Vista 64 has been the most troublesome OS for us in testing, although many users including our internal testers have managed to get it to work. We do request elevated permissions as you would expect to install registry keys and write files to the "Program files" directory.

Although you shouldn't need to, you may have success by right clicking CB icon and using "Run as Administrator" for the process of updating. If this works, you shouldn't need to do this until the next time you need to update.
When i first download the program and it goes to install it tells me that it cannont find the setup file. It is exactly where it is supposed to be. The when i manulally click the file to install(run as administrator) it installs fine until i do the update. At that point it says it cannot verify files.

Windows 7, also have exact same problem on windows vista

pc on both instances

admin

admin

none, i always run programs at default locations

preinstalled

yes

yes and system reformatted as well.

nothing special.

I have uninstalled reinstalled reformated and anything else i can think of. on 2 sepereate computers i have hte exact same problem.
Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version: Install aborts with error message "Error 1317.An error occurred while attempting to create the directory D:\Documents and Settings\Mikael\My Documents\My Pictures"
Windows Operating System: WinXP Pro sp3
Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc): PC
User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): admin
User mode when running Character Builder: N/A
Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): None
.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: preinstalled
Beta installed at some point: Yes
Beta uninstalled before installing release version: Yes

Thank you for your continued patience. While the installation seems to be working for the vast majority of people, we are very keen to identify as many of the corner cases as possible that are causing problems for our customers.

Problem: After it decompresses the Character Builder.msi file, I get a message:

"The Feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder contining the installation package 'characterbuilder.msi' in the box below."

Said box ends up with me in the same place I started.

Machine: PC
User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): Personal? Not sure what you mean.
.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: Yes.
Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc): Recent issue with ZoneAlarm causing me to do a heavy system restore.
"1152: Error extracting." When I download the demo version (not full), I click on the "installer" within the folder that was put on my desktop, and this error occurs.

Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

PC

Admin

Admin

None

Yes (I am pretty sure, at least)

No

N/a

Funky antivirus thing my college requires me to put on my laptop to use their internet, but nothing I think would interfere with this.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
Wizardmon

If you haven't already done so, just re-downloading may solve the problem. Also are you saving the installer to a network share. If so, you could try copying it to your local hard drive.

Finally, although it mostly causes the download to fail to complete, some users have had experience with their routers clipping packets of data. If you have a router between you and your modem, you might try connecting to the modem directly to see if you get an uncorrupted download.
You are correct; thanks The Architect! I re-downloaded the app, and there was no problem!
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
Error 1327 Invalid Drive E:\ It never asks me what drive to install it in, it always tries to install it in e:\
XP
PC
admin
unable to install
Tries to install to E:\
yes
no
never installed
Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version: Screen loads fine, but then gives me the message "Unable to connect to the Network. Please try again later."

Windows Operating System: Vista Home Premium

Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc): PC.

User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): Admin

User mode when running Character Builder: Admin

Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): Never got there...

.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: Preinstalled, did a full update.

Beta installed at some point: Yes, but fully uninstalled

Beta uninstalled before installing release version: Yep.

Anything you think might be unusual about your environment: I am at a university that may be firewalling me. I'm not sure. I don't have trouble normally with such things. I disabled my personal firewall, virus protection, and secondary virus protection to try to install it.

Thanks for any help.

Windows Operating System: Vista Home Premium

Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc): HP PC laptop

User mode when running Character Builder: admin

Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): yes

.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: part of Beta install

Beta uninstalled before installing release version: yes

Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc) wireless router

Curt Duval

Games Plus Mt. Prospect, IL

www.games-plus.com

After trying to run the initial download;

Internal Error: ASSERT: Pointer is NULL...(registry.c/262)

If I close this and try to download again, the information bar continually comes up warning that the download was blocked. If I click to allow the download, it just blocks the download again.

Windows Operating System: Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc): ASUS PC laptop

User mode when running Character Builder: admin

Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): no

.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: preinstalled

Beta installed at some point: No

Beta uninstalled before installing release version: No

Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc) wireless router
Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version: I get an error saying :characterbuilder has ancountered a problem and needs to close"
Windows Operating System: XP pro
User mode when running Character Builder: cannot load character builder
Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): tried different locations with no change.
.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: yes
Beta installed at some point: yes, but presently deleted/uninstalled
Beta uninstalled before installing release version: yes
Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc) I have tried all the steps listed on the forums as well as all the steps listed in my case # 090118-000310

I do run a comodo software firewall. the only unusual thing that I have noticed is that the client still operates despite showing no active process, IE I could not run any download until I reinitialized and ok'd the download through the firewall.

Also, in the past, I was able to access the beta. I then upgraded from XP home to XP professional, and could not load the beta or the current full revision of the builder. I did pugrade for service pack 3 as requested by the support team with no change.

The splash page loads up from loading and then I get message saying Character builder has had a problem and wants to send an error report to Microsoft.

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : realcharacterbuilderupdater.exe P2 : 1.0.204.0
P3 : 4979024a P4 : presentationframework P5 : 3.0.0.0 P6 : 4938d608
P7 : 625a P8 : e1 P9 : system.windows.markup.xamlparse

Windows Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 3
User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): Admin
User mode when running Character Builder: Admin
Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): None
.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install:Pre-installed
Beta uninstalled before installing release version: No
Anything you think might be unusual about your environment: Download started fast, but crawled to a halt at 97% completion (about 3 megs), does become quick again if download is paused.
Keep getting error message when trying to update builder that I can't connect to the update server so the builder works like the demo
1. OS: WIndows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
2. PC Laptop
3. Logged on as administrator
4. Disabled all firewalls, virus/spyware scanners, UAP, Nat filtering on computer and router(note i can only use wifi on my laptop so I can't bypass my router)
5. ran program as administrator
6. had the demo installed but uninstalled, deleted files and cleared registry several 30 times now(note I have noticed that no registry entries have been entered)
7. .net was installed during the demo and i forget if the demo installed it or if i did it
8. haven't change the install path for files
9. been back and forth with tech support (Incident: 090131-000359)
10. tried some of the things in the community message board here and still nothing
11. Netgear WNDR3300 N router, DSL connection, tried downloading the builder thru both firefox and internet explorer(logged on fully to the DDi), and I didn't a single problem on my desktop machine(WIndows XP Home, PC Desktop,also had the demo originally, uses the same router, used firefox to download everything)
12. a dxdiag and screen shot was attached to my incident ticket
13. was wondering if I can get the full builder on cd or something, losing faith in DDI
Everything installed properly, but when I try to run the Character Builder, the splash logo appears up but nothing happens after that. No error, no feedback. It just hangs. After pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE and looking at the "Applications" tab in the Windows Task Manager, it says that the Character Builder is "Not Responding."

Windows Operating System: Windows XP, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): I've tried both

User mode when running Character Builder: I've tried both

Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): I've tried downloading 700_DDI_CB.exe both to the default location (on the Desktop) and moving it to a different location.

.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: pre-installed

Beta uninstalled before installing release version: Yes, cleaned everything out, and rebooted.

Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc): Not that I know of. I even tried bringing my firewall completely down.

Thing I have already tried:

- All steps found here, here, and here, uninstalling and cleaning multiple times. (There was no "Wizards of the Coast" folder in my Registry Editor either before or after the install.)
- I could not do the steps described in here, because the application never even has a chance to create the CharBuilderFull.version file in the first place.
- I can start the CharacterBuilder.exe executable just fine (though it still only lets me build a character up to lvl 3). It's only when I try starting the application from the shortcut on the desktop (which fires off the updater first) does it hang.

I think I pretty much exhausted everything suggested on the forums, but if you think I missed something, I would gladly like to hear more suggestions. Thanks so much!
agent

If the CharBuilderFull.version file is not on your computer, then you almost certainly need to perform the second set of steps on my earlier post http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=17747517&postcount=85.

This will require you to make a small change in the registry using RegEdit. If you are not comfortable doing this, you may want to call our Customer Service and have them talk you through the issue.
agent

If the CharBuilderFull.version file is not on your computer, then you almost certainly need to perform the second set of steps on my earlier post http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=17747517&postcount=85.

This will require you to make a small change in the registry using RegEdit. If you are not comfortable doing this, you may want to call our Customer Service and have them talk you through the issue.

Thanks for your timely response, Architect.

As I stated before, when I open RegEdit, there is no "Wizards of the Coast" folder located under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\." Whether I have the application installed or uninstalled, the key never appears. So I cannot execute the second set of steps you mentioned, unless there's something I'm totally missing.
agent

This is incorrect. I have installed the software on 2 different PCs, one of which never had the installed beta and another that had everything deleted. The characterbuilderfull folder does not appear on either PC after the download and I still cannot update or connect to the server to update.
Everything installed properly, but when I try and update, it just sits there, no progress is made whatsoever.

Windows Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium, service pack 1

User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): I've tried both

User mode when running Character Builder: I've tried both

Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): My problem is not with the installer, so I just had it on the desktop.

.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: pre-installed

Beta uninstalled before installing release version: N/A

Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc): Not that I know of. I'm on a wireless internet and can't get direct. It's pretty good connection though.

Thing I have already tried:-
Reinstalling it, disabling background programs, disabling firewall, making sure .net uses all program options, enabling full permission for install folder.
Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version: Internal error... ASSERT:Pointer is NULL... (registry.c/262)
Windows Operating System: Windows XP-64 (with latest updates)
Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc): VM on Mac (VMware Fusion 2.0.2)
User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): user*
User mode when running Character Builder: Didn't get that far
Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): Didn't get that far
.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: Preinstalled
Beta uninstalled before installing release version: NA
Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc): Multiple external IP addresses through different broadband networks, load balanced and firewalled.

* - worked when run as administrator.
It says install complete successfully, but never goes to install Framework. When I try to launch app it says:

CharacterBuilderUpdater.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Windows Operating System: Windows XP Home SP1

Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc): VMWare Fusion on new macbook

User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): admin on both windows and mac

User mode when running Character Builder: cant

Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): Tried shared folder, shared drive, default. No results.

.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: part of install

Beta installed at some point: nope

Beta uninstalled before installing release version: N/A

Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc) Nope
Not showing the app even attempting to access the registry. showing the initial download accessing the registry, but not the app itself. I jhave no localmachine/software/wizards entry
>Exact problem that stops you from updating to or running full version:
Gives me a "Character Builder has encountered an issue and needs to close"

>Windows Operating System:
Windows XP

>Machine Type (PC, VM on Mac, VM on unix etc):
PC

>User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc):
Admin

>User mode when running Character Builder:
Admin

>Changes to default options when installing (ie different location):
It never asked me to install it to a particular folder.

>.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install:
Done as part of the installation

>Beta installed at some point; Beta uninstalled before installing release version:
Never tried the beta

>Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN,
dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc)

Nothing I can think of.

The install seemed to be fine, the problem is launching the program. The Welcome screen comes up and says that "the updater is checking for an update", but it doesn't stop doing this. I have let it search for up to 45 minutes just to see if it would ever stop searching. Whether I wait or hit Launch Character Builder immediately seems to make no difference. Either way that screen disappears, the Character Builder logo appears in the middle of the screen and then the software closes. - No error message (or any other message)

OS - XP
Machine - PC
User mode - Admin
No changes to default
.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled
Beta was installed
Beta was uninstalled prior to downloading full version
Nothing in particular is unusual
Whenever I try to run the program (it installed fine) I get, CharacterBuilderUpdater has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Windows Operating System: XP SP2

User mode when running installer (admin, guest etc): Primary User, no additional users on the computer

User mode when running Character Builder: Primary User, no additional users on the computer

Changes to default options when installing (ie different location): I have my HD partitioned so I tried to install it on different partitions with the same result

.NET 3.5 SP1 preinstalled or done as part of install: pre installed

Anything you think might be unusual about your environment (Active VPN, dial up, behind corporate firewall, etc): Computer connected wired to router.

Thing I have already tried:-
Installed, reinstalled, cleared everything associated with DDI and WOTC and then installed again. Currently I have removed all instances of .NET framework and running the install again though it seems to hang on the install of the .NET, we will see how this goes. I also know that the program works because it works on my wife's laptop.
UPDATE

It worked on this reinstall. Once I cleared out all .NET Framework instances and installed from scratch it worked fine. Just had to give it like 20 minutes to install. heh

Upon launch, every application that the builder contains, including the updater and the sheet viewer crash, returning a "(Program) has stopped working" error message.

32 bit Vista Home Bsic

PC; Intel 2.0 ghz duo core processor; 2.0 gb RAM

Admin

Admin

no changes made. all options left at default

preinstalled

No

Never installed

at home, broadband, using Trend Micro firewall

The Character builder launches fine, but after about 5 seconds my entire system freezes up requiring a reboot to do anything.

Windows XP

PC

Admin

Admin

None

As part of install, then added XP service pack 3, then re-installed .NET 3.5 SP1

Yes

Yes

Nothing