Problems updating the Character Builder - Post here

551 posts / 0 new
Last post
So far, the most common problem with the character builder seems to be the updating from the demo version to the full version. If you have followed the steps below, and are still having problems, post in this thread.

• Uninstall the old character builder (beta version).
  • Make sure you completely uninstall the new Character builder.
  • Delete any WotC folders left over from the uninstallation.
  • Delete the files you have downloaded.
  • Restart your computer to make sure that there are no installations/uninstallations hanging around.
  • Re-download the files and try again.

A more accurate list of instructions can be found in the posts here and here.

If that doesn't work, contact WotC CS, and once you have done so, post in this thread with your OS as well as the incident number (which you should get when finished submitting a ticket to CS).

If you are having problems accessing the WotC CS Help system, there is a central thread that is being closely monitored by ORCs here. Post in there with your problem and you should be contacted by WotC CS.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
One thing to note:

I install programs as Admin and run as a regular user (windoze is soooo much safer that way.) The level 30 update (not just the reinstall) also has to be done as Admin.

I don't have Vista, but I understand that Vista has improved user access privilege features. It might be that you have to run the character builder as an Admin (like you are installing something) in order to do the update.
Mudbunny

You should reverse steps 1 and 2. It is very important to uninstall the New version with the Beta already removed.

The problems primarily occur when the beta stops the full version from uninstalling properly.
I've uninstalled/deleted/restarted twice over now, still getting a message stating "Update failed. Files did not verify correctly."

Windows XP(SP3), Incident number 090127-000349
I had to do the install/uninstall a few times (I think it was the third time that worked properly). As a failsafe, I manually deleted the Wizards folder from the C:/program files directory and when prompted to save the ddisetup.exe I deleted the one that was sitting in there from the last download.

All I can say is third time's the charm.
IMAGE(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/SoulCatcher78/techdevil78.jpg)
Even when signed onto my DDI account, I can't get the Character Builder to update. It says, "Files did not verify correctly." My firewalls are turned off completely, so I have no idea why this isn't working. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

The update worked on my computer at work (don't tell anyone), so I'm at a loss.
Yeah, I got the same problem. I'll try uninstalling everything and reinstalling as per the directions. I can run the CG, just can't go past third level.
Same thing is happening to me, I just contacted Custserv. I'll post if I get anything back.
"So shall it be! Dear-bought those songs shall be be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil yet be good to have been." - Manwë, High King of the Valar
Same thing is happening to me, I just contacted Custserv. I'll post if I get anything back.

Thank you.
Hey, I just noticed there's a sticky for this. I'll post there if I solve my problem.
"So shall it be! Dear-bought those songs shall be be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil yet be good to have been." - Manwë, High King of the Valar
I've installed/reinstalled 3 times now. Following the steps detailed above as well as deleting all registry entries I can find related to DDI/WOTC. I still can not update. Windows SP 3. 090127-000444.

I now can not even attempt to update now as I have "reached my five updates" although not a single one was succesful.
I searched out all files with the keyword "ddi", and deleted them. This solved my problem. Good luck to all in your battle with the electronic menace!
I am merging this thread into the main updating problem thread stickied above.
I can't begin to count how many times I have uninstalled and reinstalled.

My OS is Windows Vista (64 bit OS)

I downloaded the Net 3.5 SP1 last night.

my reference number is 090127-000467
The most frustrating part is that after failing a few times, you get locked out and can't even continue trying to fix it. I wonder if it would be possible for them to temporarily remove the liimit of update attempts until these issues have been resolved.

I have deleted everything multiple times, and still no luck. Now I am locked out.
Have you submitted a help ticket??
Are you getting this error when trying to install it on a 2nd computer by chance?
I am also having problems updating. ("Files did not verify correctly."). The steps listed above did not solve the problem.

* I am running Windows XP.
* My reference number is 090127-000479.
* This is my second install of the character builder (my home computer; the install on my work computer had no problems updating).
Also having the files did not verify correctly issue, tried deleting everything I could find, rebooting, etc, hasn't worked. Last time I deleted I found some character builder files in the temp directory in the Application Data directory tree, so I cleared that out completely. But now I'm at my update limit so it won't let me to try update anymore, even though none have been successful. And when I go to the email tab at their support site I get:

A technical error has occurred. Please close your browser and try again.

Tried closing the browser and such, didn't help. So I can't even submit a ticket.
Whenever I start up or try to update the CB I get the following error:

Dungeons and Dragons Insider: Updater: RealCharacterBuilderUpdater.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL

If anyone could tell me what's wrong, I'd be thrilled.

Reference number: 090127-000506
Also having the files did not verify correctly issue, tried deleting everything I could find, rebooting, etc, hasn't worked. Last time I deleted I found some character builder files in the temp directory in the Application Data directory tree, so I cleared that out completely. But now I'm at my update limit so it won't let me to try update anymore, even though none have been successful. And when I go to the email tab at their support site I get:

A technical error has occurred. Please close your browser and try again.

Tried closing the browser and such, didn't help. So I can't even submit a ticket.

Try the direct link here.

Whenever I start up or try to update the CB I get the following error:

Dungeons and Dragons Insider: Updater: RealCharacterBuilderUpdater.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL

If anyone could tell me what's wrong, I'd be thrilled.

I would try uninstalling everything, deleting everything, restarting your computer, and then try downloading the file again. If that doesn't work, fire off an email to CS at the link I put in just up above.
*sigh*

I've reinstalled 4 times, with 2 computer restarts and it doesn't let me download updates. And on top of that, I'm getting the same inability to submit the ticket as has already been mentioned...
Anyone from DDI here?

Please lift the limit of 5 updates. Better yet, program your server to differentiate between a failed attempt at updating and a successful update.

I'm PAYING for this service. I shouldn't be prevented from using it because of technical difficulties in the installation process.

I, as others, am having the same difficulty with updating. I keep getting the "Update failed. Files did not verify correctly." message. I've uninstalled the demo, then uninstalled the full version, then searched for and deleted all files/folders pertaining to WotC/DDI. Then, I rebooted, re-downloaded, and reinstalled the program.

Still, I got the "Update failed. Files did not verify correctly." message.

So, I decided to install on my laptop instead, but I'd reached my update limit. Now, I don't know that it would've updated on my laptop... I couldn't even try.

I understand that you're trying to keep people from distributing your software to too many others. You have every right to do so. But, right now, you're preventing me from even attempting to use the program that I've been paying you for the right to use.

Please... please, do something about that.
Yeah, even the direct link above from Mudbunny gives the same technical error.

I get the same "files won't verify" error when trying to install on both an XP and a Vista 64 machine. Even after trying all the tips related above.
I have tried installing the character builder on two different systems, an XP laptop at work and a Vista laptop at home. Whenever I go to update it begins downloading the update then fails with the error:

"UPDATE FAILED. Files did not verify correctly"

Just as others have stated above.

I did not participate in the beta at all. I actually signed up for Insider on Friday just so I would be ready for this launch.

I followed all the support instructions in this thread and others, including wiping the installation clean, restarting, and installing again. After 3 installs, I am still not able to update.

I am going to stop my own fiddling there, as I see that others have had their update limits maxed even though the updates failed.

I have submitted a support ticket: 090127-000547
I just sent a ticket in to Customer Service.

[Incident:090128-000055]
Getting unable to verify error also and same steps to fix have failed. (redundant post in case WotC is reading/cares)

I'm using Win XP 64 os and have all updates installed. I have uninstalled, rebooted, cleaned registry, cleaned all files/folders I could find, redownloaded, reinstalled... to get same error 4 times. I'm not going to try again now so that hopefully I can use my 5th attempt when WotC bothers to help us. I opened a trouble ticket with CS...
Update Failed. "Files did not verify correctly". Win 64.

The limit of 5 updates is the fail. You should probably make sure a PAID for program is working before instituting more restrictions.
Added to OP

If people are having problems accessing the WOtC CS Help system, there is a central thread that is being closely monitored by ORCs here. Post in there with your problem and you should be contacted by WotC CS.
Ticket number: 090127-000499

If I start it outside the firewall, the update button never comes up.
If I start it inside the firewall, the update button comes up, I enter my password, and then it just sits at "Downloading..." and never does anything.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times and rebooted each time.
Anyone from DDI here?

Please lift the limit of 5 updates. Better yet, program your server to differentiate between a failed attempt at updating and a successful update.

I'm PAYING for this service. I shouldn't be prevented from using it because of technical difficulties in the installation process.

I, as others, am having the same difficulty with updating. I keep getting the "Update failed. Files did not verify correctly." message. I've uninstalled the demo, then uninstalled the full version, then searched for and deleted all files/folders pertaining to WotC/DDI. Then, I rebooted, re-downloaded, and reinstalled the program.

Still, I got the "Update failed. Files did not verify correctly." message.

So, I decided to install on my laptop instead, but I'd reached my update limit. Now, I don't know that it would've updated on my laptop... I couldn't even try.

I understand that you're trying to keep people from distributing your software to too many others. You have every right to do so. But, right now, you're preventing me from even attempting to use the program that I've been paying you for the right to use.

Please... please, do something about that.

This^

I did the exact same thing over and over and kept getting the files couldn't verify message. Once I got the message about exceeding my maximum number of updates, I contacted customer support (via the use of this post here: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1133626

I had previously tried contacting customer support via the help system and found that it is utterly useless. However, I did get an email response from CS after posting in the above thread. They gave me 1 more chance to update, and of course it didn't work. I have sent multiple emails requesting additional assistance but I have yet to receive a response.

WotC really needs to remove this 5 try limit until they can verify the attempts were actually successful. This is getting ridiculous.

Not trying to sound like chicken little, but if they can't even get an update system to work properly, I can't imagine the problems we will see with the table-top.
I got mine to work finally!

1. Uninstalled old beta (and bad installs)
2. Removed every directory and file I could find associated with WOTC Character Builder.
3. Removed any "WOTC" or "Wizards of the Coast" or "Character Builder" in the registry. (See microsoft or any other tech website for instructions)
4. I have Vista (I already know, please don't tell me how bad that is) so once I downloaded the second file (not the quick download file you download first .. but the second "Full" download) to my desktop, I then stopped the install. I restarted and right-clicked on the ddisetup icon on the desktop and selected "Run as administrator"

These worked for me, but in my time as a tech support agent i've learned that it's not gonna fix 'em all.

Hope it helps some of you.
Tried three times, even down to searching for DDI files and deleting them. All fail with the can not verify files error, using XP.
Hello

I am sorry that some of you are having problems installing the Character Builder. We will continue to monitor the issues posted.

Please know that the Beta and the Full Version are 2 different program and the Full Version does not update from the Beta in any way.

If you are having problems downloading or have tried too many times, please contact us via email at www.wizards.com/customerservice or call us at 1-800-324-6496 (option #2). We are open M-F 9Am-6Pm and starting this weekend Sat/Sun 10Am-4Pm.

If you are having trouble installing please try the following:

• Make sure you have uninstalled the Beta/Demo.
  • Double check to make sure all files and directories have been deleted. The default location for these files is: The default location is at C:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder
  • Remove any Registry Entries on your machine regarding the Character Builder
  • If you are concerned about doing a regedit, please contact us otherwise see below
  • Click Start --> Run --> type in the word regedit
  • In the Registry Editor open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Wizards of the Coast
  • You will see any Wotc entries like Magic Online and the Character Builder will show up as a long string of numbers/letters
  • Right Click on the folder and select "delete"
  • Reboot your computer
  • Download the character Builder Launch File
  • This .exe file will create a folder on your Desktop called "WotC Games" which will contain the ddisetup.exe folder which is your installer.
  • Double Click on the ddisetup.exe folder to start your process

If you encounter any further or different error messages, please contact us or post them here. We will continue to monitor this thread and help with any issues that come up.
The steps listed by MudBunny should solve most problems where users have previously had the beta installed.

For those of you who feel technically comfortable running regedit, you may also wish to ensure the following registry key has been removed by the uninstall before you reinstall:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wizards of the Coast\2a1ddbc4-4503-4392-9548-d0010d1ba9b1

Some additional notes to keep in mind when running the installer:

1. The updater will require admin rights when updating from demo mode to full version. If you are on Vista, try right clicking the Character Builder icon and selecting "Run as Adminstrator" when attempting to update the application.

2. If you login but the update fails almost immediately, your subscription to DDI may not have made it from Digital River to our system correctly. To test, log in to the D&D web site and go to a bonus tool page () and see if it asks you to subscribe. If so, then contact CS and they can very easily fix this issue.

3. If you having problems with the initial installation of the application, please be patient, especially if you do not have ".NET Framework 3.5 SP1" installed as the Microsoft component that installs this dependency is very very slow and provides almost no feedback as to its progress.

In addition, the computer will require a reboot after this phase completes. On Vista you may have to manually restart the installer after the reboot in some cases.

If you are comfortable doing so we highly recommend installing ".NET Framework 3.5 SP1" before running the installer .

4. If you do have to uninstall using the steps suggested by mudbunny, pay particular attention to ensuring the "Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder" folder is removed.

I hope that these steps help everybody to get the Character Builder installed successfully. We are all very proud of the product and I feel the frustration of those of you who are having problems.

I will continue to monitor this thread and others as I notice them to help where I can. If you reach a complete impasse, our Customer Service provides excellent help in diagnosing and fixing more specific problems.

Information on how to contact CS is found here:

Customer Service
So can some of us get additional attempts to update our cb? I have already been given one extra attempt, but it didn't work. Now I am not getting responses from cs.
I also am getting the issue where the downloader will say it is downloading and no file is ever downloaded. I am going to try from home and see what it does, but the Demo downloaded and installed fine. I am not sure why the Update will not.
If you are having trouble installing please try the following:

• Make sure you have uninstalled the Beta/Demo.
  • Double check to make sure all files and directories have been deleted. The default location for these files is: The default location is at C:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder
  • Remove any Registry Entries on your machine regarding the Character Builder
  • If you are concerned about doing a regedit, please contact us otherwise see below
  • Click Start --> Run --> type in the word regedit
  • In the Registry Editor open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Wizards of the Coast
  • You will see any Wotc entries like Magic Online and the Character Builder will show up as a long string of numbers/letters
  • Right Click on the folder and select "delete"
  • Reboot your computer
  • Download the character Builder Launch File
  • This .exe file will create a folder on your Desktop called "WotC Games" which will contain the ddisetup.exe folder which is your installer.
  • Double Click on the ddisetup.exe folder to start your process

If you encounter any further or different error messages, please contact us or post them here. We will continue to monitor this thread and help with any issues that come up.

I have done EVERYTHING on that list. Three times. Same error.

My dxdiag.txt is attached to trouble ticket "Incident: 090128-000009" so you can review my system information.
Hey guys. Some of you are asking about getting extra attempts to install your CB and I just wanted to make sure that people knew how to do this. In order to get help with this, you need to contact customer service and they will be able to give you extra attempts.

If you haven't recieved a response please understand that they are moving through all their contacts as quickly as they can while still providing excellent service. They're generally pretty quick at getting back to people, but in high volume times it can take longer. They also state that it can take up to two business days to get a response.

Now I know two days is a long time to wait for getting an extra key, and I also know that this is one of their highest priorities right now. I wouldn't expect it to take even close to that time. It's much more likely that they'll be able to get back to you same day if you're having this issue, if not within the same hour.

So to reiterate the basics, the CS team is aware of this issue and is perfectly prepared and capable of helping people get more access attempts. If you need more, contact CS and they will be able to help.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

For those people who are still getting the error, "Unable to verify files", if you are comfortable with running regedit, could you post if the following registry key exists on your computer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wizards of the Coast\2a1ddbc4-4503-4392-9548-d0010d1ba9b1\af3e0f75-65a5-4fc7-95a0-dcdfd77f80af

In addition, I'd like to find out the contents of the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder\CharBuilderFull_p

Finally, I just wanted to highlight that when this error occurs, there is the option to click "Try Again" which I'm sure most of you have tried. Clicking this button does not consume additional key usages.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wizards of the Coast\2a1ddbc4-4503-4392-9548-d0010d1ba9b1\af3e0f75-65a5-4fc7-95a0-dcdfd77f80af

It does exist on my system.

In addition, I'd like to find out the contents of the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder\CharBuilderFull_p

I don't have that folder. The only folder I have below Character Builder is SampleChars.