Full Version of Character Gen

150 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone know when they will be releasing the full version?

Thanks
Word is, by the end of the month.
Tales from the Rusty Dragon (http://rustydragon.blogspot.com) - A 4th Edition Conversion Project Covering Paizo's Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path
I hope so.
Insider-only I suppose? Call me crazy, but I'm guessing they'd make a pile more cash if they released it as stand-alone software with pay-as-you-go updates.

That way if I don't want the Forgotten Realms stuff, I don't have to have it. But if I want the Martial Powers stuff, I can pay $2.99 for that module.

I'd pay for that. And people who don't want to pay for Insider (i.e. most of them) are more likely to buy it as well.

Or heck, do it like Webkins. Each product you buy includes a one-use code that you can use to unlock the content for that product. OK, that may be a bit much, but it's still a good idea.
It *is* a stand-alone product, however to update it to include the latest releases, you need to be subscribed to DDI.

So once you purchase it, it never need to reconnect to the internet unless you want to update it with the latest data set.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
I have a subscription to DDI, What i'm looking for is a date. If its Jan 27, (showing as a compendium update) that is great. I can't wait to check to see if my character are done correctly. And as a DM to make character to the 1 timers who show up for delve. (or to make myself a delve character).

It *is* a stand-alone product, however to update it to include the latest releases, you need to be subscribed to DDI.

So once you purchase it, it never need to reconnect to the internet unless you want to update it with the latest data set.

I have a subscription to DDI, What i'm looking for is a date. If its Jan 27, (showing as a compendium update) that is great. I can't wait to check to see if my character are done correctly. And as a DM to make character to the 1 timers who show up for delve. (or to make myself a delve character).

If I had to guess (and I am guessing) I would predict that the CB will be released with the update to the Compendium.

i was hoping that it would be released for my B-Day tomorrow, but I don't think that it is going to happen.
If I had to guess (and I am guessing) I would predict that the CB will be released with the update to the Compendium.

i was hoping that it would be released for my B-Day tomorrow, but I don't think that it is going to happen.

Happy Birthday
Dangit! I saw the topic and thought maybe it was released today - Darn you! You got my hopes up! Haha.

Happy Birthday Mudbunny...

D.
I would pay for this.

This is the first real gem that has come out of DDI to me.

I am coding my own DM Tools since I want to be able to include stat blocks and other things but the character builder was indeed nicely done.
To see my campaign world visit http://dnd.chrisnye.net My music -> www.myspace.com/Incarna My music videos -> www.youtube.com/Auticusx
I was hoping it would be released on my birthday, but it looks like I'm getting a Sorcerer preview instead. Which is fine with me. And if it gets released the day after, that's fine too.
Rhymes with Bruce

Good enough! Many thanks!

Oh, cost...?
Good enough! Many thanks!

Oh, cost...?

At the moment, there's an open beta. So it's free, but it only goes up to third level.
Rhymes with Bruce
At the moment, there's an open beta. So it's free, but it only goes up to third level.

Right - I'm wondering how much the full version that is the topic of this thread will cost.

Thanks though!
Right - I'm wondering how much the full version that is the topic of this thread will cost.

Thanks though!

Just buy a one-month subscription and you can download it. Admittedly you won't get updates without buying another month every now and then, so that kinda sucks. IMO the content in the mags + the Compendium is well worth the eternal subscription cost, but that's really another thread.

truth/humor
Ed_Warlord, on what it takes to make a thread work: I think for it to be really constructive, everyone would have to be honest with each other, and with themselves.

iserith: The game doesn't profess to be "just like our world." What it is just like is the world of Dungeons & Dragons. Any semblance to reality is purely coincidental.

Areleth: How does this help the problems we have with Fighters? Do you think that every time I thought I was playing D&D what I was actually doing was slamming my head in a car door and that if you just explain how to play without doing that then I'll finally enjoy the game?

TD: That's why they put me on the front of every book. This is the dungeon, and I am the dragon. A word of warning though: I'm totally not a level appropriate encounter.

I assume we'll see the final version when the final version of the game is complete.

We're seeing almost every class re-written, most races re-written (see Minotaur, Warforged, etc.) Not until the entire game is revamped, that's when I'd expect the complete character generator - whent he complete game is out.

I won't call it 4.5. But I might think it.
I'll probably only run 'core' (or with 4e's redefinition of core, maybe 'first three' is more accurate), so the character generator as-is would be good enough for me. I'd feel a little guilty about only paying for one month of DDI and then canceling, just to get the Character Builder. But I might do it anyway. $8 isn't a bad price for the program.
Problem is the game is never really done. Was there not like 3 million book for 3 / 3.5. They bring out PHB2 in March and then more books .. and more. So there will have to be updates for Arcane Powers, AV2, Divine Powers and Primal Powers. And maybe even for MM2 and DMG2. Nevermind, what still could be done. They need to have a good base. Its great as it is. Just have updates when new stuff comes out. Hopefully, Jan 27 is a lucky date. (finger crossed)
The compendium has been getting regular updates (4th Tuesday of each month) with all the books that have been released that month, and they have yet to miss an update. I suspect that the updates to the Character Builder's functionality will occur at the same time.
I am very excited for the release of this program. The beta version is beautiful and easy to use. The interface is very well laid out and the overall production value is just phenomenal.

Now...they just have to RELEASE it. I've checked for it each day for the last week hoping it'd be out.

This will make character genning much quicker for me and easier for my players as well.
The compendium has been getting regular updates (4th Tuesday of each month) with all the books that have been released that month, and they have yet to miss an update. I suspect that the updates to the Character Builder's functionality will occur at the same time.

I read that they (the Character builder and the Compendium) pull information from the same database, so I would be inclined to agree with you.

Cheers!
Wollstonecraft
I really am looking forward to this tool- it's the main reason I subscribed.
Alas, I have a major issue running it- as in it won't run. And I cannot get response from WoTC on it. I am not the only one with this issue, we have an open thread on it under the CB technical issues heading.

Are you sure about that? I've read nothing to the contrary, but I would be surprised if the program didn't periodically check your account status.

My understanding is that all these DDi apps are *not* stand alone products but rather a service.
Just buy a one-month subscription and you can download it. Admittedly you won't get updates without buying another month every now and then, so that kinda sucks. IMO the content in the mags + the Compendium is well worth the eternal subscription cost, but that's really another thread.

From a business standpoint, this makes no sense to me. IMHO, people will be much more likely to buy a one-off Character Builder without the hassle (and perceived added expense) for going through Insider.

If they sold the "core" Character Builder for something like $5.99 and then marketed the fact that updates are available via Insider, they will initially sell more core product AND they will sell more subscriptions to Insider once people realize how awesome it is.

Or, just make it a loss-leader. Give away the core Builder (like they are doing right now) and offer updates via Insider.

But then again, I've been in marketing and product development for the past decade, so what do I know. ;)
From a business standpoint, this makes no sense to me. IMHO, people will be much more likely to buy a one-off Character Builder without the hassle (and perceived added expense) for going through Insider.

If they sold the "core" Character Builder for something like $5.99 and then marketed the fact that updates are available via Insider, they will initially sell more core product AND they will sell more subscriptions to Insider once people realize how awesome it is.

Or, just make it a loss-leader. Give away the core Builder (like they are doing right now) and offer updates via Insider.

But then again, I've been in marketing and product development for the past decade, so what do I know. ;)

I can't tell the difference between your recommendation and the current state of things. If you buy a one month subscription (this is more than $5.99, but the concept is the same), you get the CB. Insider is the only means of updating the CB.

Your proposal seems like a different take on marketing, but not a different actual product. Or am I missing something?

truth/humor
Ed_Warlord, on what it takes to make a thread work: I think for it to be really constructive, everyone would have to be honest with each other, and with themselves.

iserith: The game doesn't profess to be "just like our world." What it is just like is the world of Dungeons & Dragons. Any semblance to reality is purely coincidental.

Areleth: How does this help the problems we have with Fighters? Do you think that every time I thought I was playing D&D what I was actually doing was slamming my head in a car door and that if you just explain how to play without doing that then I'll finally enjoy the game?

TD: That's why they put me on the front of every book. This is the dungeon, and I am the dragon. A word of warning though: I'm totally not a level appropriate encounter.

I can't tell the difference between your recommendation and the current state of things. If you buy a one month subscription (this is more than $5.99, but the concept is the same), you get the CB. Insider is the only means of updating the CB.

Your proposal seems like a different take on marketing, but not a different actual product. Or am I missing something?

I think he's pretty clear. He wants to buy the CB as a stand alone product; ie less money then the entire DDi service since he doesn't want that.

Then he wants to update the CB, a la carte if he so chooses, again for less money then the cost of the entire DDi subscription.

I emphasize less money to let him know the reason why it probably won't happen. ;)

I have to say, again, that I'll be surprised if it's possible to use the CB without an ongoing subscription. Is that confirmed in any way?
i WAS of the opinion that only the BETA version of this tool was stand alone. I expected to have to log in to insider to use the lvl3+ content.
And from a marketing viewpoint keeping the free BETA updated allows you to tease ppl into using it - then paying once your sick of remaking characters after you reach lvl 4 ;)

Bonne fête Mudbunny !!:D
I bet on wednesday 01/28 as the release date for the full CB: it's when the new Digital Insider comes out, and major updates (like the release of beta version) always coincide with that.
They have 6 days. Lets see how it goes.
I think he's pretty clear. He wants to buy the CB as a stand alone product; ie less money then the entire DDi service since he doesn't want that.

Then he wants to update the CB, a la carte if he so chooses, again for less money then the cost of the entire DDi subscription.

I emphasize less money to let him know the reason why it probably won't happen. ;)

That, plus it's easier to actually sell. It's always easier to sell one thing than a lot of things.
To have to subscribe to DDi to get the Character Builder is not worth the hassle right now. I don't know if they fixed it yet, but the whole auto renewal and not being able to turn it off seems like a simple thing to implement but for Wizards seems to be struggling with it.

The price points are still overpriced for what you get, the useless ghosts of Dungeon and Dragon mags aside. I would hope that it wouldn't go up when everything is in place, as has been hinted at previously.

I don't want to pay even a month's service for a ransomed electronic aid for a table top game. I don't do it for Monopoly, I shouldn't have to do it for D&D.
Terms you should know...
Show
Kit Build - A class build that is self sustaining and has mechanical differences than the normal scale. Started in Essentials. Most are call their own terms, though the Base Class should be said in front of their own terms (Like Assassin/Executioner) Power Points - A mechanic that was wedged into the PHB3 classes (with the exception of the Monk) from the previous editions. This time, they are used to augment At Wills to be Encounters, thus eliminating the need to choose powers past 4th level. Mage Builds - Kit builds that are schools of magic for the Wizard. A call back to the previous editions powering up of the wizard. (Wizard/Necromancer, for example) Unlike the previous kit builds, Wizards simply lose their Scribe Rituals feature and most likely still can choose powers from any build, unlike the Kit Builds. Parcel System - A treasure distribution method that keeps adventurers poor while forcing/advising the DM to get wish lists from players. The version 2.0 rolls for treasure instead of making a list, and is incomplete because of the lack of clarity about magic item rarity.
ha ha
56902498 wrote:
They will Essentialize the Essentials classes, otherwise known as Essentials2. The new sub-sub-classes will be: * Magician. A subsubclass of Mage, the magician has two implements, wand and hat, one familiar (rabbit) and series of basic tricks. * Crook. A subsubclass of Thief, the Crook can only use a shiv, which allows him to use his only power... Shank. * Angry Vicar, a subsubclass of warpriest, the angry vicar has two attacks -- Shame and Lecture. * Hitter. A subsubclass of Slayer, the Hitter hits things. * Gatherer. A subsubclass of Hunter, it doesn't actually do anything, but pick up the stuff other players might leave behind. Future Essentials2 classes include the Security Guard (Sentinel2), the Hexknife (Hexblade2), the Webelos (Scout2), the Gallant (Cavalier2) and the Goofus (Knight2). These will all be detailed in the box set called Heroes of the Futile Marketing. (Though what they should really release tomorrow is the Essentialized version of the Witchalok!)
Funny thing is, we are being told that the Character Generator will be done, in full, by the end of January. However, this is not reflected upon the January release calendar. This tells me that WoTC confidence that this event is actually going to happen is rather low.

I will believe that the generator is out when WoTC starts using past tense instead of future tense and telling us how things will be and not how things are or were.

You guys have 5 days. Good luck, but I am not holding my breath.
I think they will have *something* out before the 29th, since there is some convention of something being held that weekend and there is supposedly a prize being offered to people who bring in their level 15 characters created using the Character Builder. I don't have links or anything; this is just what I've heard.

Also, they have said that the updates for the character builder would be stand-alone downloads, not downloads from within the program. That means that in order to get the update, you have to log into D&Di but once you have it, you won't have to be logged in to use it. I would hope that if they plan on changing this and including a log-in option in the character builder, that they would have another beta which would include this option so we can see how well the servers stand up to being hounded when an update is released....
5 days.
I bet on wednesday 01/28 as the release date for the full CB: it's when the new Digital Insider comes out, and major updates (like the release of beta version) always coincide with that.

I quote myself to say I backed the right horse. :D
Funny thing is, we are being told that the Character Generator will be done, in full, by the end of January. However, this is not reflected upon the January release calendar. This tells me that WoTC confidence that this event is actually going to happen is rather low.

I will believe that the generator is out when WoTC starts using past tense instead of future tense and telling us how things will be and not how things are or were.

You guys have 5 days. Good luck, but I am not holding my breath.

Whilst I can see where your coming from given previous delays, software development is a difficult process as you can easily be 99% done but the 1% causes you to miss your deadlines. I would suspect that its the "just incase it has to slip" rather than anything else as to why its not on the editorial release calendar.

I'd love it to be released tomorrow with the compendium update, but I'll wait, its a great product compared to the other stuff I've used.

It all depends on how long of a subscription you purchase. A year-long subscription costs $60 ($5 a month). Shorter subscriptions cost more per month. If you go to any DDI subscription-required page, the information should be fairly clear.

Are you sure about that? I've read nothing to the contrary, but I would be surprised if the program didn't periodically check your account status.

My understanding is that all these DDi apps are *not* stand alone products but rather a service.

I am pretty sure. As far as I know, the Character builder will only need you to login when you (try to) update it to the latest dataset. Other than that, they want people to be able to use it when they are not connected to the internet. At their FLGS, or at a friends' house. What they have done is to set a limitation on the number of times a month that a person can "update" the character builder.. Currently the limit is set at 5 per month, and it resets every month.

To have to subscribe to DDi to get the Character Builder is not worth the hassle right now. I don't know if they fixed it yet, but the whole auto renewal and not being able to turn it off seems like a simple thing to implement but for Wizards seems to be struggling with it.

Auto-renewal is still turned on for all accounts upon subscription. WotC has simplified the auto-renewal cancellation process somewhat. As opposed to having to go to the Contact Us tab and filling out an email, all you need to do is to go to your account page and press a button.
http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1435

It is not the final solution by any means, it is a temporary solution while WotC works on something better.

The price points are still overpriced for what you get, the useless ghosts of Dungeon and Dragon mags aside. I would hope that it wouldn't go up when everything is in place, as has been hinted at previously.

I don't want to pay even a month's service for a ransomed electronic aid for a table top game. I don't do it for Monopoly, I shouldn't have to do it for D&D.

*shrug*

Your decision. There are many others for whom a $5 (if they go for a yearly subscription) is a good price for Dungeon, Dragon, the Character Builder (that will be updated monthly with all the books from that month), plus the various bonus tools. Add in access to closed betas of the new tools (when they come out) as a bonus for being a subscriber, and a significant number of people find it very worth their while.

And, as I mentioned above, you only need to have a subscription if you want to have the Character Builder updated with the latest books that come out. If someone is happy with the character builder when it comes out, the last information I heard is that once they download it, there is no need for them to continue paying for access to DDI. They won't, like I said above, be getting the dataset updates, but for people who are happy with the basic offering, they won't be penalized for it.
I think we are going to hit the date. I hope it goes _fairly_ smoothly.
Mike Donais. Cryptozoic R&D

And that date would be?

Thanks Mike, and your final date is??