Dragon 371 - Zombies!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon 371
Zombies!

By Daniel Marthaler

They're dead! They're zed! They wanna eat your head! Where zombies are concerned, Billy Idol got it right -- "Too much is never enough!" Just remember to keep telling yourself, "It's only a game ... it's only a game ..."

Talk about this Article here.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/371_ci_zombies.jpg)
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

The top image on page 45m is not a flayed crawler.
The flayed carwler is depected on the wall in the image on page 40.
The creature depicted on page 45 is the lasher zombie.
I like it. I think the Monster Incarnation articles have been some of the best so far. Love getting new monsters and expanding on commonly used foes to shake things up is a great idea.

Keep them coming.

The slavering maw and shambling nexus are great. Also the flayed crawler finally gives mechanics to my super wallcrawling undead. My favorite creature incarnations article yet.
I enjoy the Monster Incarnation articles. The zombie features charts was nice. I would have like some mechanic part to it like the Kobold victory chart but still it was a good addition to the article. The different powers and abilities make for nice mix ups in combat.
This article comes at a perfect time for my campaign, as my low-to-mid level heroic PCs have twice met with the undead... a new variety or four will definitely keep them on their toes.

At a quick glance, the zoms look good.
Hm. Not sure if this is errata or not, but does anyone else find it odd that the Shambling Nexus is still vulnerable to radiant? It doesn't benefit from it's own aura cause that only effects allies. (As per the PHB, in 4e you're not your own ally.)
Planes Wanderer
I'm enjoying the Creature Incarnation articles too, and this Zombie article is great.

I think this is one of the first (is it the first?) Dragon article written by someone outside the WotC team. Daniel Marthaler did an excellent job. I hope this means Dragon will be allowing more 'outsiders' to write again, though with careful oversight by WotC/Chris Youngs as editor to make sure unbalanced or broken material doesn't find its way into it.

I also hope this means we will be able to get more than 5 articles/month with outside writers.

Verys.
I love this article. This is my favorite Creature Incarnations article yet and it's awesome. I have eagerly awaited this article because well, I like zombies. Undead are by far my favorite monsters and zombies are the top. I can't wait to throw a Slavering Maw at my players! :D

Best. Article. Ever.
The Creature Incarnations articles are easily some of the best and most useful Dragon offers; I wish they'd include one every month. I could definitely use more orcs, goblinoids or lizardfolk.
Very good article! The descriptions were a bit graphic for my tastes (flayed crawler...) but the crunch is delicious.
I'm enjoying the Creature Incarnation articles too, and this Zombie article is great.

I think this is one of the first (is it the first?) Dragon article written by someone outside the WotC team. Daniel Marthaler did an excellent job. I hope this means Dragon will be allowing more 'outsiders' to write again, though with careful oversight by WotC/Chris Youngs as editor to make sure unbalanced or broken material doesn't find its way into it.

In reference to this, the article is indeed great but it's worth noting that I don't know who wrote the slime and ooze article a while back, but the azure ooze is truly ridiculous. That thing almost TPKed a level 5 party by itself without any assistance at all.
In reference to this, the article is indeed great but it's worth noting that I don't know who wrote the slime and ooze article a while back, but the azure ooze is truly ridiculous. That thing almost TPKed a level 5 party by itself without any assistance at all.

Off topic, but a valid comment. That thing is more powerful than the typical level 7 solo by a significant margin.

The zombies, however, look to be at least reasonably well categorized in terms of level and power.
Yay, zombies! You can never have enough zombies, and these look very nifty. The zombie features list is also a nice touch; I'll certainly be using it the next time I use zombies in my campaign.
Sign In to post comments