Links to Scales of War Battle Maps

134 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am providing some links to the Scales of War battle maps for Rescue at Rivenroar and Siege of Bordrins Watch. I am currently working on completing the Siege of Bordrins Watch maps and will add to them as I get them done.

Rescue at Rivenroar
Battle Maps

Here are some pictures of what the lvl 2 part of the dungeon looks like after it is printed and put together.
IMAGE(http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z194/nickverto/DSC_0200.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z194/nickverto/DSC_0201.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z194/nickverto/DSC_0202.jpg)

Siege of Bordrins Watch
Battle Maps
Wow. These are schweeeeet. Thanks.
These are amazing! Please keep these going! Great job!
Yeah, these are awesome! I'd love to pull these out on my group, I just wish we weren't so far ahead at the moment. Keep up the good work, SJ!
Yeah, these are awesome! I'd love to pull these out on my group, I just wish we weren't so far ahead at the moment. Keep up the good work, SJ!

Which adventure in the Scales of War series are you on? I should finish up Siege of Bordrin's Watch this week.

Nick
So do you print these out on regular paper or on something heavier? My experience tells me regular paper will curl up if too much ink is printed on it (for example, the Scales of War adventures themselves do this to me). They sure look cool though. Great job.
So do you print these out on regular paper or on something heavier? My experience tells me regular paper will curl up if too much ink is printed on it (for example, the Scales of War adventures themselves do this to me). They sure look cool though. Great job.

If you glue the printed parts to semi-stiff card board using adhesive spray it doesn't matter too much what thickness the paper is you print on.

The issue I ran into with using photo paper is you can't overlay the cut out parts to get a perfect seam if you don't cut it perfectly. Using thinner paper lets you overlap the parts some so you can correct minor mistakes.

I recommend trying Kodac's glossy 38 lb. photo paper that comes in 100 sheets for $7.99 at Best Buy. It lets you print a nice image and still thin enough to do overlaps.

If anyone else has experience with this please post what has worked for you.

Nick
We finished Shadow Rift of Umbraforge last week, though it'll be a bit before we play again. The guy playing the wizard in my group is expecting the birth of his first child any day now, so we're taking a hiatus from the AP for awhile. It'll be two or three months before we start Lost Mines of Karak, so I look forward to seeing the awesome maps for that fortress!
Added Map05 to EN World post.
I'll be using these maps for the first time tommorrow night....What a great addition to gameplay! THANKS!

How close are you to completing the Nexus Map?

Those do look great. As for this issue, I've gone lots of different routes, but ultimately settled on just printing out my maps on regular paper, trimming them down, and then, after spreading out what I need, plopping a 3' x 4' piece of clear plexiglass over the top. This eliminates curling and jostling, and has the added bonus of providing a surface that I can draw effects etc onto with dry erase markers.
I'll be using these maps for the first time tommorrow night....What a great addition to gameplay! THANKS!

How close are you to completing the Nexus Map?

I hope to finish up the Nexus map tonight or tomorrow. Will get them posted up asap.

Nick
I hope to finish up the Nexus map tonight or tomorrow. Will get them posted up asap.

Nick

AWESOME!!

I'm going to be using the Monestary maps tonight! I can't wait.
Thanks
Added maps to EN World post.
... These are awesome, but how did you make them. I'm interested in creating ones like this for my home campaign, because I find dungeons tiles are a bit limiting.
... These are awesome, but how did you make them. I'm interested in creating ones like this for my home campaign, because I find dungeons tiles are a bit limiting.

I bought Profantasy Software's Campaign Cartographer 3 with the Dungeon Designer 3 add-on.

www.profantasy.com
Nick..are the enworld servers down?
Nick..are the enworld servers down?

They were but are back up now. Hey, I fixed the map that you pointed out that had an issue and I also added a picture to Map04. Thanks for finding the problem with the PDF and please let me know if you find any other issues.

Thanks,
Nick
I have completed the Siege of Bordrins Watch maps and uplaoded them to the ENWorkd forum post here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/247294-scales-war-part-02-siege-bordrins-watch-battle-maps.html#post4596961
I bought Profantasy Software's Campaign Cartographer 3 with the Dungeon Designer 3 add-on.

www.profantasy.com

Yeah.. Looks great but very expensive...
Yeah.. Looks great but very expensive...

Trust me I know. Certainly the software isn't for everyone. Not only is it expensive but the learning curve to use it is VERY large. It takes a lot of practice and time to get very good (which I consider myself only a moderate user...not an expert by any stretch of the imagination). I would warn anyone before they bought it to be serious about spending time to learn it. It is not very user friendly and almost backwards in the way it works in comparison to other photo editing software you have ever used.
These maps are *awesome*. I had already printed out the inn & street maps for the first two encounters, and was not looking forward to doing the rest.

I have access at work to a plotter that prints in 24"x36" sheets, big enough to fit the entire Antler and Thistle to scale on a page. I was able to take your maps and glue them together in GIMP and get some REALLY nice printouts, a million times easier than grabbing individual rooms out of the PDF. During play I took pieces of black construction paper and laid them over the map, and slid them out of the way as players moved around. It was so much faster than using tiles.

If you can get your hands on one of these I highly recommend it

--K
hey this is gunna sound weird but is there any way i could get these maps all put together already i have a wonderful thing called a plotter at my school i could print the whole map on which would be very awesome
hey this is gunna sound weird but is there any way i could get these maps all put together already i have a wonderful thing called a plotter at my school i could print the whole map on which would be very awesome

I just used GIMP to copy the images and paste them into a single large image. Getting the edges to line up was pretty easy with the grid lines. Worked out fine for me.

Be careful - if I were caught 'abusing' the plotter back when I was in design school I'd have been in serious deep doo-doo. Costs way more for ink than you might realize.

But it would be freaking awesome. Go do it.
I just used GIMP to copy the images and paste them into a single large image. Getting the edges to line up was pretty easy with the grid lines. Worked out fine for me.

I use a projector to display my maps down onto the table top. So a full sized map of the whole dungeon level as one huge JPG would be perfect for me.

Kutula, any chance (with Steeljaw's permission) you could make the combined Dungeon Level maps available? I'm sure there would be a lot of people interested in this.

Cheers
Blakey
Kutula, any chance (with Steeljaw's permission) you could make the combined Dungeon Level maps available? I'm sure there would be a lot of people interested in this.

Someone else also asked me just today for these, I will see if I still have them.

Just as an aside, GIMP printing in Windows is pretty useless -- it seems to have no concept of print scale or DPI. So my typical process is to make the .xcfs, flatten them to PNG, take them to work on my USB key, print them out, and delete the images. But I don't always delete the images, so I'll see if I still have them around. If I do find them I'll ask Steeljaw if I can put them up somewhere.

--K
I don't mind if you post them.

I plan to release all of the maps in full jpeg and Campaign Cartographer 3 format files soon.

SJ
I don't mind if you post them.

I plan to release all of the maps in full jpeg and Campaign Cartographer 3 format files soon.

SJ

Do you mean all linked together as one big jpeg? That's what I'm really after...

Blakey
Do you mean all linked together as one big jpeg? That's what I'm really after...

Blakey

I've posted the rivenroar maps, one jpg per level, on the enworld form under steeljaw's original post. I don't have the final bordrin's watch ones but I did find some of my intermediate files on my pc, so I'll just finish them up and post them. Probably later this week.

--K
Thanks for the maps Steeljaw. I am halfway through Rivenroar adventure with my players when I found these. They are great and the players are very impressed. Keep up the great work and hopefully we will keep seeing the other adventures.
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the maps. I find them to be of an excellent quality, and I hope we will see more as well.

love,

malkav

PS.

Is there a link to a full list of the maps you have made? Like an index?
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the maps. I find them to be of an excellent quality, and I hope we will see more as well.

love,

malkav

PS.

The first 3 adventures are done. This is the best link to follow which has links to the first 2 adventure sets at the top of the page.

Link Here

If you want the A4 versions or the CC3 source maps go here.

I will begin work on adventure 4 maps soon. I am currently working on a side-trek adventure for my players that will take them briefly to Sigil. Nothing beats waking up in the Mortuary in the Hive being pushed to the incinerator by a zombie because they thought you were dead

love,

malkav

PS.

+1

I wholeheatly agree with you, the maps are great! Goodwork Steeljaw!

I don't use all the maps, but whenever I don't have the tiles to reproduce it, or there are some elements that I love in the map, I print those sections and use them to enhance our games.
Thanks for comments guys. It's appreciated and I am happy others use them. Next week I should have some Adventure 4 maps complete.
These look awesome unfortunately I am for some reason unable to access any of the links that have been posted. Anyone able to tell me if it is just me or if the links are messed up for some reason?
These look awesome unfortunately I am for some reason unable to access any of the links that have been posted. Anyone able to tell me if it is just me or if the links are messed up for some reason?

Try the link below. It goes to Shadow Rift of Umbraforge maps but at the top of the page are link to the first 2 adventures.

Click link here!
Thanks very much. That link actually works for me.
Steel.. thesse are Amazing!! We will be entering in the Temple IN Between soon.. Looking forward to those maps for sure!!

You.. are .. FULL of Awesome!
Thanks! Not sure how long it will take me to get to the Temple Between maps. They start getting much harder to make after Part 4.
Thanks! Not sure how long it will take me to get to the Temple Between maps. They start getting much harder to make after Part 4.

Does this mean that part 4 is complete?