WHO EXACTLY IS THE EMISSARRY!!?!?!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The 5th module has come out and now the writers have claimed that the Emissary is not Iranda (despite the fact that he is called out as the Dark Emissary in Bordin's Watch, and we don't even learn his name until the Third mod)....and NOT MODRA (even though he is the most likely canidate)

Now the Emissary is Sarshan the arms dealer himself. Not only that but it was HE who contacted Sinruth, even though they clearly spell out that Modra was doing everything behind Sarshan's back.

*sigh*

I have tried to stay out of the conversations about how this AP is riddled with inconsistancies. I make do when I can. But this one to me is HUGE. It seems alot of DM's here have already forshadowed the emissary being one of the Dark Creepers. And a monkeywrench has been throw into those story llines

Now we are to put another band-aid over our storylines.

Please read over this mod and see if anyone has ideas on how we can smooth this one out.

I'm sorry if i missed something in my quick scan of the new module. I'm on my lunch break and can't read into the details.
Now the Emissary is Sarshan the arms dealer himself. Not only that but it was HE who contacted Sinruth, even though they clearly spell out that Modra was doing everything behind Sarshan's back.

No. Modra supplied TUSK with weapons without Sarshan's notice, because the arms dealer refused to risk his operation by providing weapons for an attack so close to his dealings in Overlook (and the Shadowfell gate, I assume).

Sarshan's plan is obviously something of much greater significance, which he is keeping low key. Inspiring goblins to resurrect the banner of the Red Hand and convincing gnolls to ravage outlying farmlands and small villages far from the Shadowfell gate is less risky than the full-scale attack that Sarshan refused to take part in.

I think running this AP as it is released is a bad idea, as you are getting little chunks of story at a time. Give it a few more months and, when it's clear who Sarshan is an emissary OF, this will make more sense.

Crying out "Inconsistent! Inconsistent!" every time something doesn't completely make sense to you right away doesn't mean the writing is bad or that there's no direction for the AP.
Kryptonian Scion pretty much has it right. The first five adventures essentially lay out this mystery, though the PCs may not even know there is a grander plan until Den of the Destroyer. The idea is that, by Den, the heroes have gotten a few clues throughout what seem to be disparate adventures with little connection to one another. By the end of Den, they should realize that these seemingly disconnected elements are now connected. At the end of Den, the PCs should realize that the guy who seemed to be just a greedy arms dealer has been pulling a bunch of strings of people the PCs have already interacted with.

The whole Modra/Iranda thing is something of a red herring so that the PCs don't go "OMG Emissary!!!!" when they meet Sarshan in the third adventure. Sarshan is much too subtle to use the orcs, which is why he rejects their offers, and then his underlings get a bit too ambitious behind his back. Modra is a very fallible villain who has made a mistake, and it's through his mistake the PCs become more involved in the larger plot.

Rodney Thompson

Advanced Designer

Dungeons & Dragons R&D

Wizards of the Coast

Follow me on Twitter: wotc_rodney

You may be right about the intent of the storyline. But on page 44 & 45 of Bordin's watch the introduce the emissary, and even call him that in his stat blocks.

On page 6 of Umbraforge they discuss the key and Modra's dealings with the dark one emissary whose name we finally learn is Iranda.

I MIGHT accept the fact that Iranda is "A" emissary but not "THE" emissary... but that is extremely misleading, and I'm guessing that alot of DM's believed the same thing I did. Especially considering all of the posts in this forum about "The Emissary" Perhaps that thread will take a whole new direction. I'd like to hear the input of those were fell victim to the same confusion I did.

Crying out "Inconsistent! Inconsistent!" every time something doesn't completely make sense to you right away doesn't mean the writing is bad or that there's no direction for the AP.

As far as that goes, like I said, I am very forgiving and can make things work. And I realize writing an successful AP is a difficult task. I am very happy with everything so far. This was just the first thing that REALLY frustrated me, given the way I was foreshadowing The Emissary.
As far as that goes, like I said, I am very forgiving and can make things work. And I realize writing an successful AP is a difficult task. I am very happy with everything so far. This was just the first thing that REALLY frustrated me, given the way I was foreshadowing The Emissary.

Good! Let your players think they've found the guy responsible for the goblinoids' attacks at the end of chapter 2. Doesn't that make the revelation of the true level of interweaving threads later on even better?

Finding out that Iranda was just a worthless henchman after achieving a semblance of closure should make characters feel like they've been had, and inspire them to pursue Sarshan with even more relentless aggression.

Never ret-con what can be turned into a great story element. Run with it.
Well thankfully I haven't started yet so I can omit all references to the Dark Ones being an emissary to help avoid confusion. Because I can't see how Modra can be the Emissary with Sarshan dealing with the Gnolls.