Unlock the POWER of your character sheet!

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi There, I wanted to show off some things that I found out about the D&DI Character Builder character sheet that are pretty darn neat that you might not know about.

First, here is the character sheet you're probably familiar with:

Up under the options menu, you should click both the "Unlock Panels" and "Show Panel Buttons" to follow along with me.

Now you'll notice that each 'block' of the sheet has a -/X in the upper right hand corner, and some have a C. We'll get to those in a second.

The neat thing now is that you can grab a 'block' and move it anywhere you want. In these shots I swap the location of my HPs and Racial features.

My character Quinn keeps daggers on her for mainly RP purposes. Her actual melee weapons are a pair of war picks. To show just those in the attack/damage workspaces, click on the "c" in the upper right hand corner to Customize the block.

The "X" will get rid of the block alltogether, notice my racial block is gone now on the right side. (The - will "minimize" it to the title bar for the block, great if using this in real time on your computer at your game.)

Here's my power cards. I personally don't wan't the action point cards and the stat summary, and would like to cram them onto one page.

Under the options menu, you see 'hide optional power cards.' That will trim my powers down to size.

Thats better!

Now the layout menu has some good options to check out too, a nice one is landscape mode.

In case you'd like your sheet oriented this way.

There it is, I hope you learned something new. Feel free to post questions on the forums, I learned all this by asking the great people making this app.

-Dylan "ExoByte" Mayo
Producer D&DI
Thanks for the photo-walkthrough!

Continuing in Dylan's theme -

Here is a sample of how I am using the full version of the character buidling to manage my 10 level elf ranger named Alagon.

Here is a sample of the character summary feature of the character building for posting your stat blocks to forums. Like this ...

Character Summary

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast DDI Character Builder ======
ALAGON, level 10
Elf, Ranger
Build: Archer Ranger
Fighting Style: Archer Fighting Style
Background: Silent Hunter

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 22, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 25 Fort: 20 Reflex: 24 Will: 20
HP: 71 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature, Endurance, Perception, Acrobatics, Athletics, Thievery.

FEATS
1: Light Step
2: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
4: Weapon Focus (Bow)
6: Sure Climber
8: Hunter's Aim
10: Sneak of Shadows

POWERS
1, At-Will: Twin Strike
1, At-Will: Nimble Strike
1, Encounter: Two-Fanged Strike
1, Daily: Split the Tree
2, Utility: Crucial Advice
3, Encounter: Disruptive Strike
5, Daily: Adaptive Assault
6, Utility: Weave Through the Fray
7, Encounter: Biting Volley
9, Daily: Attacks on the Run
10, Utility: Expeditious Stride

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Point Blank Greatbow +2, Magic Greatbow +2, Longsword, Dagger, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Burglar's Gloves (heroic tier), Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Thieves' Tools, Dynamic Belt (heroic tier), Elven Battle Leather armor +2, Cloak of Survival +2, Diadem of Acuity (heroic tier)

In addition, I have restructured the character sheet using the custom layout feature. I have mainly reorganized the first sheet. I have moved my non-combat information to the left hand column. The center column is focused on the defense side of combat and my offensive combat information is in the third column.

snip

you stink for having more levels than us muggles

Here is a sample of how I am using the full version of the character buidling to manage my 10 level elf ranger named Alagon.

Here is a sample of the character summary feature of the character building for posting your stat blocks to forums. Like this ...

Character Summary

ALAGON, level 10
Elf, Ranger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

Starting Ability Scores

TRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Point Blank Greatbow +2, Magic Greatbow +2, Longsword, Dagger, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Burglar's Gloves (heroic tier), Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Thieves' Tools, Dynamic Belt (heroic tier), Elven Battle Leather armor +2, Cloak of Survival +2, Diadem of Acuity (heroic tier)

In addition, I have restructured the character sheet using the custom layout feature. I have mainly reorganized the first sheet. I have moved my non-combat information to the left hand column. The center column is focused on the defense side of combat and my offensive combat information is in the third column.

No fair showing us a level 10 build :P Thats just cruel and unusual :D

Character Summary

ALAGON, level 10
Elf, Ranger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

Starting Ability Scores

TRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

Hmmm, deva avenger and deva Invoker sounds nice:D
Hmmm, deva avenger and deva Invoker sounds nice:D

good eye!

invoker and avenger confirmed!

where could avenger be from?
Thanks :D the question now is what roles those classes will fill...
Thanks :D the question now is what roles those classes will fill...

Avenger sounds like a divine striker. Invoker....a divine controller perhaps?

What happened to the class that starts with "T?"
So many teasers on those characters!
Mike Donais. Cryptozoic R&D
Avenger sounds like a divine striker. Invoker....a divine controller perhaps?

What happened to the class that starts with "T?"

...I really had my hopes up about "Inquisitor" and "Theurge".
Maybe I just went blind, but I swear those sheets are all ranger...what happened to the leaked sheets?

Edit: D'oh! there it is under allies.
D'oh! there it is under allies.

Took me a while to find it too.
very nice sheets. I noticed that if you delete rituals, though, there's no way to get that frame back without resetting everything.
So many teasers on those characters!

Like the Ranger Utility Stance... Sounds really good to say the least..
nice!
great walk-thru man. very helpfull in getting us started in the right direction!
:D
i want to echo a few sentiments

1) awesome, thanks so much!
2) I wanna be able to build to 10th level :-(

ok, i am done thanking and pouting :-)
Thanks for the awesome walkthrough!

Is there any way to customize the information in the, say, feats block? For instance, I'd really like to be able to type in the fact that taking Student of the Sword allows me to mark opponents in a limited fashion. I'd also like to be able to type up cards for the same reason.
I would really like to see line-level editing. Basically, anything with multiple lines could use a [c] so we can remove unneeded lines (blank lines, redundant info, race stuff we will never use) but still keep the other lines.

In addition, it would rock to be able to output the power cards in XML so we could further shape them with other tools.

Teos

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I would really like to see line-level editing. Basically, anything with multiple lines could use a [c] so we can remove unneeded lines (blank lines, redundant info, race stuff we will never use) but still keep the other lines.

In addition, it would rock to be able to output the power cards in XML so we could further shape them with other tools.

Teos

this!
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to save the formatting on my character sheets. As soon as I close and reopen the sheet, it returns to standard formatting.
Wishlist: -Alternate ability bonuses for pre-PHB3 races -Lots more superior implements or an official customization rule -Monk multiclass feat that grants Unarmed Combatant
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to save the formatting on my character sheets. As soon as I close and reopen the sheet, it returns to standard formatting.

you need to make use of the "save" and "load" functions under the layout menu.
you need to make use of the "save" and "load" functions under the layout menu.

What about saving customized workspaces? If you close it out and reload it, they go back to basic attacks and damage?

Any way to make the customization stick?
When I switch to landscape, all the text in the racial and class features runs off the edge of the block instead of wrapping to the next line. Is there a fix for that, or am I just an idiot and haven't seen the obvious?

Dwarf:

Half the Height
All the Whupass!
Can somebody sticky this? Took me forever to find.
Formatting will save to the character in the full version so it will be a simpler process than it is now to save it.

As for editing, we are working on some more stuff in that direction, can't promise when it will all be in though.
Mike Donais. Cryptozoic R&D
Speaking of editing. You currently have an option in the attacks and damage section to sort by attack or sort by weapon, but that is only for check marking which attacks you want to be displayed. That should extend to how they are displayed on the sheet as well. Also, it would be nice if the data shown was as simple as it appears in the selection screen.

Clean concise and to the point.

Like this:

IMAGE(http://www.homemeatmarket.com/images/yukon/Screen2.jpg)

So if you choose sort by power it should display on the character sheet the same way.
Come on open beta.

All of these teasers are making me drool. It looks better each time I see something new.
I really love the fact that you can customize the char sheet. One of the best things ever. I even like the fact that you can make them shorter or longer, but I would really like is to make them wider w/o making the entire column wider.
The character builder looks beautiful! And the Character sheet is pretty damn awesome!

My only concern is that, while the Sheet is great for your pc, some of the options aren't exactly print friendly or customizable.

The biggest thing I have noticed, due to the fact that I am a BIG roleplayer and love a great character background, is that the SIZE of the boxes in the Sheet cannot be altered. I believe this could be a big issue. While reading my Character Background section in the sheet ON my PC, I can simply scroll down to read what does not fit in the small box; however, when I print my sheet for game night more than two thirds of my story will be hidden...

This also comes into play with all the other boxes, to some extent or other. While attempting to find a comfortable layout for my first page, I discovered that, depending on where you move them, some boxes took up much more room than was necessary, or not enough room.

To me the solution is easy: enable the boxes to be sized, similarly to any "Window" type application. The ability to total customize the character sheet will definitely be useful.

Thanks for listening WotC!!
U can change the size of the boxes.
Along these same line, it would be nice to be able to link files. Word processor files for those long backgrounds/adventure logs, large pic files, and "ally" character sheets are all examples of what might be wanted.

I don't write out a lot of backgrounds (I make too many characters), but I've had as many as 10 pages (single-spaced) when a DM asked for it. Then there are those campaign NPCs that actually need a bit of background and interaction notes.

Side note: any possibility of dropping in some pre-done templates that would be better suited for minimalist characters, allies, animal companions, etc?

The character builder looks beautiful! And the Character sheet is pretty damn awesome!

My only concern is that, while the Sheet is great for your pc, some of the options aren't exactly print friendly or customizable.

The biggest thing I have noticed, due to the fact that I am a BIG roleplayer and love a great character background, is that the SIZE of the boxes in the Sheet cannot be altered. I believe this could be a big issue. While reading my Character Background section in the sheet ON my PC, I can simply scroll down to read what does not fit in the small box; however, when I print my sheet for game night more than two thirds of my story will be hidden...

This also comes into play with all the other boxes, to some extent or other. While attempting to find a comfortable layout for my first page, I discovered that, depending on where you move them, some boxes took up much more room than was necessary, or not enough room.

To me the solution is easy: enable the boxes to be sized, similarly to any "Window" type application. The ability to total customize the character sheet will definitely be useful.

Thanks for listening WotC!!

I was customizing my sheet, or attempting to, when I found that you can't customize the panels themselves. For example, to conserve space, I wanted to remove the boxes that tell you where all of the numbers come from, for example 'Ability', '1/2 level', 'Feat' and so forth, so that that panel could be shrunk. I also found out that if you want to change the size of the box:

A) You can change the width, but not the height (especially annoying when I write my characters background, because those tend to be fairly long).

B) If you do want to change the width, you have to do it for the whole row.

Now, while I understand that you probably keep columns in alignment and whatnot so that the sheet stays organized, I have spent the last 3 or 4 years designing character sheets (mostly on excel) for various RPG's (mostly Wizard's), so I know how to situate things so that the look nice. Please let me do this with your CB, as it was nearly flawless up to this point.

Thanks,
Hdier
I do not like having to change the entire row. I agree with U there!
I do not like having to change the entire row. I agree with U there!

Noticed that U was having things agreed with and was wondering who U was.

I have seen some small issues but still messing around with the making of characters. The main thing I have issues with is the Power Cards and not being able to resize them. I would also like to be able to move each card and make them bigger. I was playing with my Swordmage and a friend said could not read the Aegis of Shielding Power Card because was too small for him. He said that is probably what bothers him most about the system when I said I could not make them bigger.
U can change the size of the boxes.

you can change the WIDTH of the columns on the sheet... but you can't change the LENGTH of individual boxes. That is what I mean.
Is it possible to change what weapons are laid out in the power cards? If not, that would be a nice feature.
AWESOME!!! :D
Holy-awesomely-useful-features-that-I-never-would-have-noticed Batman!

:D

Keep up the good work guys! Every time I hear of some other feature I just get more impressed!

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

1 thing I would REALLY like is to be able to make a custom combat box to consolidate the info from the 3 boxes that are used now. 1 box that has 1 line [Hit bonus VS whatever; Damage; Crit] with a blank line underneath for effects (possibly an option for 2 for complex effects). Then, an optional line for secondaries.

To my way of thinking, breaking the info into 3 boxes is a waste of space. Especially since every PC has multiple attacks.

I'm lovin' the product so far, but this is buggin' me.

Also, there is supposed to be a way to type up your own feats so you can update your character before the builder gets updated (homebrew), but I haven't found that, yet. Is there a way to do this with the power cards?
A couple things found in CB open beta:

1) BUG - Brash Strike power does not add CON mod to damage if using an axe. Have not tested with hammer or mace.

2) BUG - On eladrin "Race Features," the "Trance" and "Eladrin Will" information is not word wrapping on the character sheet.

3) BUG - On the +2 Elven Cloak, it does not add +2 to the FORT, REFLEX, and WILL of the character. It does add +2 to stealth checks. Also, it is too long for the "Enhancement" section of the card.

4) BUG - If setting XP with the "Set XP" button, if the XP does not take the character above 1st level, it sets the XP to "0" rather than the amount I typed into the field.

5) It would be good for the program to calculate the regeneration total for the fighter utility "Boundless Endurance" which is "regeneration 2 + your CON modifier when you are bloodied."

6) Although it is good that you can hide the optional cards [play data, action point, and second wind] I only really need the action point card and second wind printed once. Play data I need every level, if it changes. Presently I must have them all on or all off. How about more options for the cards and I DO like being able to move them around, if that can be incorporated.

Now a question about CB open beta... I am a subscriber to DDI but I only have access to the free beta. How can I, as a subscriber (for a full year, I might add) get the CB that goes higher than level 3?

A few more comments on CB open beta ...

a) There is no way to turn on the RPGA Notes block so that it can be included on the character sheet anywhere. How about adding this? There is space.

b) I put my RPGA number in but that, too, shows up nowhere on the character sheets. How about adding this? There is space.

c) I, too, would like the ability to change the length of a section. As a work around, I break up longer character backgrounds and put some of it in "Personality Traits" and "Mannerisms and Appearance."

d) I find that putting anything in the "Character Background" wipes out the chosen region information from the character sheet. The regional aspects are still included but it doesn't show up on the character sheet anywhere else.

Thanks!