Character Builder Installation problems

148 posts / 0 new
Last post
Download was quick, installer hung on installing .net SP1, but I canceled it then went to the WOTC games folder on my desktop and started it again.

the downloader didn't close itself..

and now that its started i'm getting

Could not load type 'System.windows.SplashSreen' from assembly, then gives token info.

the above is in one fo those windows style crash reports (powered by {sa}) - error report sent
If you have any problems in the installation of the character builder, paste them here. Include the error that it provides.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
ah ha! it works after I close the downloader up (i sent it to the tray before)
Crashed on attempted install with the error below. Not necessarily their fault - could be some essential component missing on my machine.

But disappointing nonetheless.

ASSERT: Pointer is NULL...
(registry.c/262)

Details:

1. Windows XP, SP2
2. .NET framework 3.0 (I realize that's not the right one; I had thought I'd seen that it would attempt to update that automagically)
3. Not running as an administrator
well for mine i'm not sure... it downloaded and seemed to go through one installation. on the second install it says

Preparing to install...

installing microsoft .net framework 3.5 sp1 (web download)

it gets to the end of that and stops without completing

using windows vista (as far as i know completely up to date on the updates)

once again there is a possibility it is my system... i'm looking into it now

Edit:

Ok attempting to down the .net from Microsoft forced my computer to realize it already had it and now it's downloading correctly... thanks Elf
I am a subscriber and I can't even find a link to download to my desktop. How did you locate it. I'm signed in and nothing to find.
Crashed on attempted install with the error below. Not necessarily their fault - could be some essential component missing on my machine.

But disappointing nonetheless.

Details:

1. Windows XP, SP2
2. .NET framework 3.0 (I realize that's not the right one; I had thought I'd seen that it would attempt to update that automagically)
3. Not running as an administrator

1st off, you might want to try running it as administrator. Or setting up your account to have permission to install software.

Barring that, you might want to try getting .net 3.5 sp1 direct from Microsoft.

If you want to speed up your install, you can go to Microsoft and get .net 3.5 SP1 now, if you have Vista I recommend getting it ahead of time.

From Microsoft's website here's their min specs:
System Requirements
* Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP
* Processor: 400 MHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Minimum); 1GHz Pentium processor or equivalent (Recommended)
* RAM:96 MB (Minimum); 256 MB (Recommended)
* Hard Disk: Up to 500 MB of available space may be required
* CD or DVD Drive: Not required
* Display: 800 x 600, 256 colors (Minimum); 1024 x 768 high color, 32-bit (Recommended)

Here's a link to download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 from Microsoft.
Preparing to install...

installing microsoft .net framework 3.5 sp1 (web download)

it gets to the end of that and stops without completing

using windows vista (as far as i know completely up to date on the updates)

once again there is a possibility it is my system... i'm looking into it now

The way Microsoft's install looks it finishes the first 99.9% quickly, and then spends 1/2 hour or more on that last 0.5%. It might look like it's stalled, but just let it keep running.
1st off, you might want to try running it as administrator. Or setting up your account to have permission to install software.

Barring that, you might want to try getting .net 3.5 sp1 direct from Microsoft.

If you want to speed up your install, you can go to Microsoft and get .net 3.5 SP1 now, if you have Vista I recommend getting it ahead of time.

From Microsoft's website here's their min specs:

Here's a link to download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 from Microsoft.

Actually, it's a work machine, so I should nae be doing this anyway. I'll try when I head home, where I'd actually use the thing. My home system is already set up with the proper frameworks and so forth.
I am a subscriber and I can't even find a link to download to my desktop. How did you locate it. I'm signed in and nothing to find.

I noticed something odd with the download page. I was already subscribed and logged in, but the link said "Subscribe now!" After logging out and back in, I got the download link instead, and it worked.
The way Microsoft's install looks it finishes the first 99.9% quickly, and then spends 1/2 hour or more on that last 0.5%. It might look like it's stalled, but just let it keep running.

Thanks for this. Was about to abandon the download but checked here first to see if others were having this problem. I'll be patient and wait a little longer.
Installed okay, but crashes on start-up. Error message is:

System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight(Graphics graphics)
at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight()
at System.Drawing.Font.get_height()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_FontHeight()
at ...ctor( , )
at .. ()
at ..(Exception, Boolean )
i was able to download it without any problems and i was able to install it, but when i clicked the icon it said it could not open, i was able to send an error report, but im not sure what i should do form here, should i uninstall it then try again?
I suffered from impatience on the first install as well (thought it has stalled). Everything seemed to go just fine the second time, but when I try to open the Character Builder I get the "This program has encountered problems and needs to close" doohickey.

I'm going to try again and report back.

All around helpful simian

I don't seem to be able to download the character builder, trying both FireFox and IE. The connection to the server resets (and it's not on my end).
"could not be saved, because the source file could not be read."

from Firefox

"Connection to the server was reset"

from IE

at ...ctor( , )
at .. ()

I have the same problem. Installed ok, but can't get it to launch. Have the latest .net 3.5 installed.

at ...ctor( , )
at .. ()

Are you sure that .net 3.5 SP1 installed correctly? I'm betting it did not, if it didn't try getting it from the link I posted earlier.
I seem to be unable to load the splash screen. *scratches head*

Error reported using the built-in tool, but if Mr. Elf is reading and has any insight I'm all ears.

IMAGE(http://www.wackychaco.com/wolfstar76/ddi_cb_splash_error.png)

Tried downloading .NET 3.5 Framework manually - just in case that was part of the problem, and it made no difference.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I had the same problem during the install. I went into task manager and monitored the cpu use of the installer for a good couple of minutes and it stayed at 0 for a good long time. So, I killed it. There were actually two setup processes running so I killed both of them.

About 15 minutes later I was prompted by the installer that it needed to reboot my system, so I must have missed something. I rebooted and was able to install the application without a problem.

When I get home I am going to make sure that my .NET framework is up to date and then try to install the App. I will report the results here.

System is running Vista Home Premium SP1

Installation proceeded fine, but when attempting to launch I get a popup with the following error text inside:

Could not load file or assembly 'D20RulesEngine, Version=0.0.0.0.
Culture=neutral. PublicKey Token=null' or one of its dependencies. An attempt
was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

Error reported using the built-in tool, but if Mr. Elf is reading and has any insight I'm all ears.

Tried downloading .NET 3.5 Framework manually - just in case that was part of the problem, and it made no difference.

make sure your downlaoder has closed, and isn't just in the status bar
can I get this merged with eh main thread? we started them at the same time.

that error probly means you have .net 3.5 and not .net 3.5 SP1. Can you check your system to see if .net did install properly, I've seen cases in vista where it claimed it finished the install but when you looked if had not. Also, make sure you have a genuine version of vista.
I can download a file named DDI_CB-Beta.exe, but when I try to run it, I get the following error:

ASSERT: Pointer is NULL...
(registry.c/262)

EDIT: I solved it by running as Administrator and installing the correct version of .net (3.5 SP1).
My copy seems to be hanging at 100% on the "Publishing product information" stage.
Wishlist: -Alternate ability bonuses for pre-PHB3 races -Lots more superior implements or an official customization rule -Monk multiclass feat that grants Unarmed Combatant
I don't seem to be able to download the character builder, trying both FireFox and IE. The connection to the server resets (and it's not on my end).

Same deal here. One can watch it download, and just as it finishes, the download files disappear. With either of those browsers. Ah, well. :-)
I have a couple of requests pending, including the merge of this one with the main thread.
I've got it downloaded and installed, but it craps out upon launch. *Sigh*
I got it to DL and install, but it crashes on launch.
IMAGE(http://i33.tinypic.com/sbnfk1.jpg)

Have .net 3.5 sp 1 installed(had it installed already, tried reinstalling same problem) Vista x64 SP 1.
Bah, crashed the instant I tried to run it. Got this error message...

IMAGE(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/Sheol_v/ErrorMessage.jpg)

::EDIT:: Just realised I have posted this in the wrong thread. How do I delete a post? Don't seem to have the usual button to do so
(My campaigns log blog) http://sefotron.blogspot.com/ I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am merging this thread into the official thread in the Character Builder Beta forum.

There are a number of different threads for various times at whioch problems are cropping up, so please make sure that you are posting in the proper thread.
that error probly means you have .net 3.5 and not .net 3.5 SP1. Can you check your system to see if .net did install properly, I've seen cases in vista where it claimed it finished the install but when you looked if had not. Also, make sure you have a genuine version of vista.

3.5 SP1 you say? D'oh!

*starts a new google search and download*

Vista version is legal, or else I'll get fired since I'm the IT admin here. ;)
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

I'm having the same problem, but I'm using XP. If it's the same soluion where do I find the .net thingie?

well I have .net 3.5 trying to install then I get an error from the setup program and it crashes itself. This time I downloaded the entire 230 meg .net installer, not just the small version and I'll see if that can actually do a proper noncrashing install, if not I'll just wonder why I can't even install .net 3.5 not just the character builder.
Blah blah blah

at ...ctor( , )
at .. ()

the above is the error message I got when I cancelled the .net install before it was finished and then installed the Character Builder over the top of that.

CORRECTION: I uninstalled the character builder, and then installed .net 3.5 SP1 manually from microsoft. Then installed the character builder again. And I STILL get the above error when I try to run the character builder.

Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Vista Home Premium 32bit

The .net failed when I used the small 2.3 meg installer, downloaded the full .net installer, all 238 meg that installed without error, then ran the setup file as admin that wotc downloaded to me and it installed, and now it's working.
Blah blah blah
I received an immediate error attempting to execute the program after setup (which stalled as others have mentioned). Installation of .NET using the link provided in this thread fixed the issue.