SPOILER Brindol under attack

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I decided to expand the first part of the adventure and instead of two encounters I made it a full blown attack on Brindol.

Background:

Brindol is practically under siege because of constant attacks of hobgoblin and goblin bandits on the trade routes.

Brindol authorities "discover" the leaders of this assaults and plan an attack on them.

They rally some militia to keep watch on the town while the army is out.

This is part of a distraction made by Sinruth to make a deep strike on the city.

While the army is out, various ogres, hobs an gobs attack Brindol.

They take control of the Brindol Market (area 5 on the map).

From there, Sinruth and 8 hob fighters, 2 archers, 3 Ogres and 20 Drudges take The Hall of Great Valor (area 16)

4 groups break to the east into the city:
- a pillage force
- a property destruction force (ogre with cart and 2 hobs)
- a property destruction force (2 blackblades and several drudges)
- a... ¿?

The party have the first two encounters detailed in the adventure.

Then, they are free to move about the chaos the city is in, and engage in as many encounters as they desire.

I put the Anthler an Sistle in front of The Laughing Manticore (area 12).

After dealing with these encounters the PCs see two columns of smoke, one from the Market, and the other from the Hall of Great Valor.

So far, the two groups I ran this made the same decisions:

Go cautiously to the market.
There they see the hobgoblin force, 100 approx., holding the Market, while 3 ogres move carts into and out of the city through the bridges.
To the west some hob groups are holding the line against militia forces.
After a while, they encounter somo militia scouting their side, the eastern side of the Market, to see how much resistance there is.
They inform the PCs of a militia leader near area 4, Shank's Shivs (Weapon Shop).
Both gropus went to this guy and he told them two more groups are left on the East side, and may be a threat to civilians.

On of these groups is the Pillage Force I detailed above, but I havent decided which could be the other group/encounter.

I thought some kids and women trapped and besieged by an elite goblin lurker.

Or something more foreshadowing of the Rivenroar dungeon encounters.

Any thoughts?
That sounds like a great way to make Sinruth's attack much more sinister. You could even hit them with a few waves of drudges when they are out/low on surges and dailies. That should scare them. :evillaugh

-Blackivarr
That sounds like a great way to make Sinruth's attack much more sinister. You could even hit them with a few waves of drudges when they are out/low on surges and dailies. That should scare them. :evillaugh

I like the "push them" idea.

But at the beginning of the adventure, and specially, the campaign, I want to be easy on the players.

That´s why I let them have almost absolute control over the encounters they face.

Another thing I forgot to mention:

Since the party isn´t quite sure about the alignment they´re going to have, I´m using this attack as an opportunity to test their alignments.

Every encounter they have brings the opportunity to make themselves richer at the expense of the city (with a great deal of impunity) or to be the selfless heroes the campaign expect them to be.