Is the "Emissary" Anitclimactic

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it just me or does anyone else find the encounter with the Emissary extremely Anti-climatic. They don't even tell you his name, or the key that he is SUPPOSED to have on him until the 3rd module.

He is referenced on a note to Sinruth at the end of Rivenroar which suggest to the players that he is of some importance. I even referenced him on my own him before that in a note found on an Orcish spy snooping around near Brindol.

Come to find out he's just plopped into an encounter at the end of Bordin's watch. My players would never know they even killed him unless he jumped in with a cliche villainous soliloquy.

"MWU HA HA HA HA HA, For I am the villainous EMISSARY you have been looking for!"

I am toying with the idea of making the dark creeper "Modra" from module 3 the emissary. He seems slightly more on the ball and fleshed out as a villain to fit this role.

Anyone else thought of a way to make "The Emissary" a little more sinister.
The problem I have with The Emissary is to have the PCs know of him.
I am toying with the idea of making the dark creeper "Modra" from module 3 the emissary. He seems slightly more on the ball and fleshed out as a villain to fit this role.

That's what I'm doing. You can read my changes here. I'd also like it if you could look it over and see if there are any problems my alterations cause
I like your ideas.

i will probaby write some of that into my campaign. One Question.....

What does BBEG stand for? Who is he? are you assuming there will be a main top dog boss for the whole campaign and this is who you are refering to?
What does BBEG stand for? Who is he? are you assuming there will be a main top dog boss for the whole campaign and this is who you are refering to?

Big Bad Evil Guy. Usually. There are variations on it, but it basically means the big bad evil guy behind everything... and who is often the "end fight". The big villain.

Cheers, LT.
are you assuming there will be a main top dog boss for the whole campaign and this is who you are refering to?

Yup. There's a chance there won't be a big bad guy at the end, but I'd be surprised if this were the case.
I thought that dark one was just another member of the Emissary, which was more of a group of beings rather than one person. I haven't got there yet in the campaign, but the dark one for me will probably be dubbed "Agent of the Emissary" and will be the one who sent the message to Sinruth, but again on behalf of the Emissary as something of a guild and not just one man. The PC's can feel good knowing that they have defeated the agent that was working directly with Sinruth, but also most likely get the feeling that the dark one was part of something larger. That's where Modra and Sarshan will come in during adventure #3.

Does this sound plausible?
Does this sound plausible?

Definitely.
I did something similar to the fellow a few posts above. I had a second message (containing nothing really, but just keeping the Emissary's name fresh in the PC's minds) on an orc scout. The message was really a hint towards the weapons black market in the 3rd adventure. It made no sense during the 2nd adventure though, only serving to keep the PC's thinking about him.

One thing I did though was to put the notes in a particular font and signed with a notable mark after "The Emissary" so that both notes would match.

When the actual fight with the Emissary came up, I had him give some orders to the orcs, and his first attack was a surprise attack against the person who killed Sinruth...and he did have a line (I forget what it was exactly), but something to the effect of "this is what you get for killing my minion". Both gave the party the clues they needed that this guy wasn't just some random dark creeper.

When he got low on HP, he tried to get away and they put some real effort into stopping him. Finally, when they searched him, he did have the brass key, a few of the magic items from the adventure, a handful of other notes (again, just random junk, half-started pieces, etc....but they were all in his peculiar handwriting (ie, font) so that they would recognize it.

The end result is that they actually felt like they accomplished something by putting an end to the Emissary that they felt was unfinished from the first adventure. But they knew there was more to it. After all, an Emissary is just a messenger, an agent of someone else. So they knew that someone was behind all this and that the key was the, uh...key.

That all helped quite a bit for that sense of accomplishment, and to tie everything together and keep things flowing from one adventure to the next.

El Cucuy
That´s really nice Cucuy.

I´m gonna borrow some of your ideas :D
If only WotC had thought to tie the modules together that well...
Yes, I am disappointed in WotC's lack of an actual overview on the SoW path. But the DM has to make the whole thing flow per his own story telling sense, I would think anyway. Not just that, but also fleshed out in areas that make the most sense given the likes and dislikes of the players.

In my own game, I love making the villains personal. The players love it as well. Then, when the villain is ultimately defeated, it makes for a very satisfying victory. I'll even do this in individual battles. Make the sergeant in charge of the orc patrol hate elves and order his men to concentrate on the PC elf. For instance, in the intro Rivenroar encounter where the hobs were attacking the town, I actually had a hobgoblin take a shine to the PC wizard and try to grab her and drag her off with him. It actually made him less effective in battle since he'd probably have been more effective attacking normally, but it made the moment memorable and gave her (the player) a reason to feel personally affronted by this minor villain to make his defeat more satisfying, even though he was just hobgoblin raider #3 otherwise.

El Cucuy
Oh, wow. I RAN the module, and I didn't even realize they had killed The Emissary, just like I didn't realize they had found the brass key. What a fine, well-written, tightly-connected campaign this is...
It is revealed that that dark one from Siege is not 'the' emissary. I don't have it in front of me, but I think it was Sarshan that is actually the Emissary who was dealing with Sinruth from Rescue at Rivenroar.
It is revealed that that dark one from Siege is not 'the' emissary. I don't have it in front of me, but I think it was Sarshan that is actually the Emissary who was dealing with Sinruth from Rescue at Rivenroar.

Yeah, I just downloaded the latest adventure this week and I read that too. Wow, gotta love that! I'm really enjoying how they surprise the DM with campaign details.

Right now they're publishing adventures about two ahead of where my players and I are currently on the path. Even knowing what is happening two adventures ahead I'm barely managing to put details in to foreshadow and tie things together. And even this latest adventure tossed me a curve with the new revelation about Sarshan. So, apparently, Iranda the Emissary from Bodrin's Watch is really just the emissary of The Emissary... If the forces of evil are trying to win by confusing the heroes, they are doing a damn fine job.

I'm actually thinking of using all this confusion. Not sure if I'll be playing it straight or using it for comedy. But I may have a lot of emissary's. Maybe even make it a running joke throughout the campaign where everyone is someone's emissary.

I get the strong feeling this adventure path is written by committee. I don't have the adventures handy (i.e., I'm too lazy to open up the PDFs), but I strongly suspect these adventures are not written by the same person each month...

El Cucuy
My players were actually quite challenged by the Boiler Room encounter (with the Dark Emissary), because the way it played out, they ended up fighting two (2) rooms at once. Half the party was dealing with the "The Gauntlet" while the other party members prematurely attracted the attention of the orcs in the Boiler Room.

It's a good thing they had Kalad with them, his off-tanking and heals were much needed assets.

I had read other threads on this forum, and knew that Iranda was supposed to be carrying the brass key ... but that news errata never mattered for our group, because he escaped. During the confusion, and with the party divided in two rooms, he used his Dark Step and Cloak of Shadow abilities to escape (with 8 hit points remaining).

I made it very clear to the party that this Dark Creeper was the Emissary (even though I know he's not the Emissary referenced in the first module). When the party first enters the Boiler Room, an orc scout spots them and shouts, "Emissary! The Witch lied. There are more," pointing to the party.

Since he escaped, however, the party never obtained his Brass Key. But that's why we are DM's, right? We need to take a certain creative license now and then. I plan to have this Dark Creeper be the same one that Reniss encountered in the Clean Sheets (p.13, Shadow Rift of Umbraforge) -- and perhaps have the players pay him a visit before heading to the Happy Beggar. That will fit nicely, since he's all beat up; it's the players who beat him up. It won't be difficult to intimidate the brass key from him in his current condition.
Sign In to post comments