Character Builder Beta FAQ

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
This will be the FAQ for the Character Builder Beta once it goes live.

Link to Official WotC FAQ

Where can I get the Character Builder Beta??
[indent]From the Character Builder Website.[/indent]
What is this .net I hear being talked about?
[indent].net is a background or framework upon which WotC has built the Character Builder tool. The latest version of .net is 3.5 SP1. You can get it here.[/indent]

I run Windows Vista 64, but can't get the CB to work.
elf;17220947 wrote:
From what I can understand it sounds like it needs to run in x86 compatibility mode. I'm looking into a fix right now from our end. I'll update you when I have more information.

To suggest things to go into the FAQ, please post here.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Also reserved
You knkow what, I will reserve this one as well, just for the heck of it.
reserved for thanks when stuff is filled in.

Reserved so I can cheer when i can run it on 64 bit vista
Are there any plans to make a non-windows only version, that doesn't rely on proprietary windows specific libraries?
This NEEDS to be in the FAQ:

There are only two choices right now for stat generation, either rolling randomly(and having to accept the stats where they lie), or the standard 22 point buy.

There should be an option to enter custom stats, as some campaigns either roll in person, use a nonstandard point buy, or some alternate method.

Just type them in. Click on the box and type in any number you want.

...whatever
Will there be a Mac-Friendly option. I see all these people gush about the Character Builder and I feel sad and left out as a result.

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

I will move as much of this thread to the Character Builder Technical forum as makes sense. If I can't move it, I will duplicate it.
Note, 64bit issues resolved, please get the latest version of the installer, details here: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1112308
What are your plans for Mac support?
Do we have a tentative date for full version?
Hoping to hear from a WotC staff on this, but will conditional (but assumed to happen) bonuses be applied?

I'm asking because I have a Smashy Fighter who plans on stacking Iron Vanguard abilities, Dragonborn Arrogance, and a couple of other feats, then using Tide of Iron to push people around.

I realize the push is quite conditional, but that's the primary use of the power. If I can't push them, I might as well just use Cleave or something.

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Does WotC have any plans to release Linux builds of the Character builder? or any of the future insider programs. It's really disappointing to see that they are only supporting Windows. Damn proprietors.
Like many others, I want to know if Character Builder will be made available for Mac users. My other friends who have Windows have told me wonderful things about it, I just want in now. Any tentative plans?
I haven't heard anything about a Mac version, but when your hardware makes up less than 1/20th of the computer world, it would make sense for them to focus on Windows, especially when Macs can run Windows now.
I haven't heard anything about a Mac version, but when your hardware makes up less than 1/20th of the computer world, it would make sense for them to focus on Windows, especially when Macs can run Windows now.

I have a PC Desktop which I enjoy the CB on, but it would be awesome if it would run on my MacBook Pro. No, I really don't want to install Windows on my Macbook just to run a hand full of Windows base programs.

1995 has gone. Cross-platform programming solutions abound (i.e., Java, Python, OpenGL) and there's no need to "focus" anymore. Look at PCGen in the open source or at World of Warcraft, just to name a small commercial game around these days. Solutions exist also to make native Windows software natively run on Mac OS X, like Transgaming's Cider Engine. To produce cross-platform software requires just a Will check today.

By the way, Mac presence is about 1/16 nowadays. I guess 1/5 of browsers visiting Wizards are called Firefox now and Wizards' Webmasters don't work just for Internet Explorer.

Anyway, I didn't read anywhere "Playing D&D requires Windows". Manuals are sold to anyone so, please, do the same for tools. Lack of support for Macs (and Linux too) today just spells out second-class developing capabilities and I don't expect that from a first-class vendor like Wizards.

lux
1995 has gone. Cross-platform programming solutions abound (i.e., Java, Python, OpenGL) and there's no need to "focus" anymore. Look at PCGen in the open source or at World of Warcraft, just to name a small commercial game around these days. Solutions exist also to make native Windows software natively run on Mac OS X, like Transgaming's Cider Engine. To produce cross-platform software requires just a Will check today.

By the way, Mac presence is about 1/16 nowadays. I guess 1/5 of browsers visiting Wizards are called Firefox now and Wizards' Webmasters don't work just for Internet Explorer.

Anyway, I didn't read anywhere "Playing D&D requires Windows". Manuals are sold to anyone so, please, do the same for tools. Lack of support for Macs (and Linux too) today just spells out second-class developing capabilities and I don't expect that from a first-class vendor like Wizards.

lux

this isn't the thread for this.

You aren't the one who can say it, for that matter. Support for Mac was the topic.

lux

Sure is, the FAQs that need to be answered are:

When will Character Builder be supported on OSX?

Why isn't the Character Builder supported on OSX?

and What kind of brain dead ninny decided to build the character builder as a desktop application instead of a web one in this day and age?

But to those who want to know what to do when WotC refuses to acknowledge the Mac, or linux users in who play D&D* stop paying for DDI and make it clear why you aren't in the feedback form when you disconnect your account. If they won't listen to your voice they may finally start listening to your money (and the lack there of.)

*Considering D&D appeals to geeks, who tend to be 1) more computer savvy, 2) more likely to be more then just windows users you would think they wouldn't make a bone head move like this, but on the other hand that whole knee-jerk idiocy with the pdfs....
the question needs an asnwer, and mudbunny has links to the exact answers to why. This needs to discuss the FAQ, not OMGWTFNOMAC?! Just say "mac info plz", and be done with it.

All your questions have been answered in the hundreds of other OMGWTFNOMAC threads.

I'm a linux user primarily myself, so I'm also effected by this. I understand why the app is and will probably always be windows only, and Why it wasn't done as a webapp. MB, do you have that Elf quote on hand? I'm curious if mac should be addressed here or if we need a separate Mac/linux FAQ to answer all the possible questions.
I understand why the app is and will probably always be windows only, and Why it wasn't done as a webapp.

So I understand why it will probably always be windows only, that being they made a arbitrary decision to develop on a windows only platform, and not just a windows only platform, but the most recent release of said platform blocking even the few community efforts to make .net work on non-windows. Since that choice was made, and money spent to make it so, your right they are probably never going to rewrite it in a different language now. Too late, so sad... My question is why?

As for why is wasn't done as a webapp? Again I don't see a good reason why not, and actually it is possibly the only possible path forward at this point. As they could make an asp.net front end to the app and not have recode the whole damn thing.
MB, do you have that Elf quote on hand? I'm curious if mac should be addressed here or if we need a separate Mac/linux FAQ to answer all the possible questions.

It is something that will be put in the FAQ that is in development here.

And here is the elf quote:

This is from one of the (ex)-devs on DDI and macs:

I would have love to have done a mac version. I have a mac. I also have an iphone.

When I originally joined the project though I was given a 6 month time frame to full release, 3 months to beta, and by the way, that includes the time I could spend hiring a staff. Staff was, fortunately, hired in short order, and I was lucky to get some great people on the team. With the short schedule though we were making decisions between releasing it as a web app, or perhaps winforms. We mocked up a web app and it wasn't responsive enough, we mocked up a winforms prototype, and it was slow and lacked the ability to do all the things we wanted to do so we ported to WPF which set us back a week but was so worth it. We were able to do more things, have better control of the UI and development time was very fast.

Given the short schedule that we had it wouldn't have been reasonable to make a multi-platform version. Once we were done with the initial build I did cost out what it would take to make a mac version, as I think it is short sighted not to make one. The problem being that Wizards just doesn't have enough mac customers yet. They would need something like 10 times as many in order for it to break even, and that's not counting the fact that the majority of mac users can run windows apps in some sort of vm setup.

It's also entirely possible that by the time there are enough mac customers there will also be either native osx support for wpf, or some sort of rapid development tool for mac/iphone that could be trivially ported too. It's also possible that with the coming release of windows7 that XP will drop in price so much that it doesn't make sense not to have a copy running in a vm with your mac.

It is something that will be put in the FAQ that is in development here.

And here is the elf quote:

We mocked up a web app and it wasn't responsive enough, we mocked up a winforms prototype, and it was slow and lacked the ability to do all the things we wanted to do so we ported to WPF which set us back a week but was so worth it.

This is from one of the (ex)-devs on DDI and macs:

So what he is saying is "We mocked up one window proprietary interface, it didn't work so well so we mocked up another windows proprietary interface?"

So the remained of his quote goes on to assume that customers should suck it up and pay 150 for windows just so they can run one piece of software (Or is Hasbro endorsing that we Pirate windows to keep costs down), or wait for Microsoft to build a CLR implementation for OSX? The later is naive, and the former is presumptuous.

At this point they could embrace creating an open API into their system, it would still require individual users to have subscriptions, but then allow third parties to build tools so that avid Mac/Linux users could just build their own tools.
I agree, the reasoning was horrible. It all has to taken into the context that the entire project started last January. Basically the rush killed DDI's chances of multiplatform.

to be specific as to why it wont port

so we ported to WPF which set us back a week but was so worth it.

WPF is a mono killer.
WOTC - you have lost my business on D&D insider.

I was extremely distressed about your cancellation of Dragon & Dungeon magazines, but making D&D Insider unavailable to Mac users too...you won't be getting a dime from me.

A very disgruntled gamer of 30 years.

Darin

I'd also like to express my disappointment that the Character Builder is Windows only.  It seems like WotC had some reasonable rationales behind making it the way they did, but at this point I can just hope that they'll take into account the wide success of the character builder (I DM for two groups of five, and everyone who has a windows is thrilled with the program), and try to get a conversion underway soon.

Aside from that issue, however, does anyone know of a way to either save character sheets as images or otherwise move them in a format that I can open and print from a separate computer?

Aside from that issue, however, does anyone know of a way to either save character sheets as images or otherwise move them in a format that I can open and print from a separate computer?

I use a mac, and im so i have not had the opportunity to use the builder. However, it is my experience that most operating platforms (including windows) allow printing to a file of some sort. My mac allows printing to a .pdf, which is basically an image of the file. Windows also support a .pdf format or similar though their document writer printer. Check your available printers in the drop down menu to see if you have access to it. These files are usually fairly small and should be easily transportable... most are small enough to even send in an e-mail attachment. Hope this helps.

If you have as a "printer" a write to file program (such as PDF) you should be able to use that

as your printer.

Is there a way for the Character Builder to handle player-created and -edited powers?

Is there any word on whether or not a Mac-friendly version of the Character Builder will be made available??
The Character Builder user tips said something about "Show Panel Buttons" but then I've never seen an option for that in any dropdown menu. When I asked customer service about it, they said that there's no way to customize power cards other than by showing what weapons they use. So my question is, who's the yahoo who thought there was a Show Panel Buttons option? Is that a feature currently being worked on that they just hadn't put into the previous installation? Currently waiting for the server to go back online so I can get the latest update-I'll be pretty happy myself if the panel buttons actually exist this time around. If not, hopefully the user tips'll be modified-I feel like they're taunting me.

Let's hope that this insipid question of mine draws attention away from the inferno rage of mac users.
I just recently switched from a Mac to a PC, and promptly downloaded and installed the character builder.  I'm loving it so far, but I've started noticing that some of the feats and powers introduced in Dragon magazine articles aren't included in the lists on the character builder.  I just installed the program this past weekend and downloaded last month's update as soon as i could.  I know the next update is supposed to be released next week, but I'm curious - are the all the options introduced in the two magazines included in the character builder updates?
I just recently switched from a Mac to a PC, and promptly downloaded and installed the character builder.  I'm loving it so far, but I've started noticing that some of the feats and powers introduced in Dragon magazine articles aren't included in the lists on the character builder.  I just installed the program this past weekend and downloaded last month's update as soon as i could.  I know the next update is supposed to be released next week, but I'm curious - are the all the options introduced in the two magazines included in the character builder updates?

the dragon/dungeon content always makes it into the builder, but it's often delayed by a month or two. 
Come to think of it, is there some problem with the Radiant One epic destiny? The 26th level power is still in the builder, but last time I tried to build a character with said destiny, it wasn't in the list-not even after I used "Show Illegal Elements."

'course, I tend to stray a bit away from Dragon Magazine content, as it tends to be immune to the wrathful hand that is errata.
I'd like to be able to create items and have them reflected on the character sheet stats. For example I had my PC's find a bear skin rug in one of the dungeon delves adventures. It granted a +2 to all defenses while they stood on it. The PCs decided they wanted to take the rug and have it made into Bearskin Boots that would give them a bonus to their defense. I thought sure, why the heck not.

Anyway, I added a pair of boots to the character's items and tried to "customize" it, but all I can do is change the name and add notes. There is no way for the item to have attributes added to it and reflected throughout the character sheet. I want it to add the +2 to all defenses as a misc +2 bonus.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but if there is no way to do this this is an tool that would be great to have as a DM.

Let me know what you guys think or what the deal is with custom items.
Really, I'm not sure why the builder has yet to implement some basic "Building blocks" for that sort of thing. DnD's game rules are already basically a programming language in themselves (definitions for item bonuses, feat bonuses, power bonuses, etc), it seems like you'd be able to use an app that could create fairly basic traits for items... I don't know. I guess it's not high priority. Oh well.
Hi all. How about moving this to a full web based app so those of us not running windows can play? Would make distribution a bit easier too.
Wouldn't that require an internet connection to use? I like to use the builder on my laptop so I can develop characters while in the car or on the road and otherwise without internet.
I have a question does the full version include more races, can you multiclass with it and do some other stuff that isnt on the demo or does the demo have everything but the levels?