Feedback Thread: Digital Insider #7

208 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi folks,

Setting this feedback thread in advance for Randy's Digital Insider #7, due to go live later today.
It's nice to have some good, solid answers to questions that have been going 'round the forums.

Thanks! :-)
After we launch our D&DI subscription service, the Character Builder will become our #1 priority. First up will be a public Beta test, then a commercial release, and then our development efforts will move onto the Character Visualizer. The way the Beta will work is that we will first make the application available to a select group of special testers (including folks who signed up to be Beta testers at D&D Experience) and then we will make it available to the general public. Everyone who wants to will get the chance to participate for free.

I thought they already said it was top priority. It hasn't been top priority?

The Beta version of the Character Builder will have full functionality, but it will only have rules content that covers level 1-3 characters. The same thing will be true of the free demo version of the Character Builder which will be available for folks to sample after the full version goes on sale: it will have everything you need to build a level 1, 2, or 3 character. We have not yet announced a release date for the full version of the Character Builder.

Cool news. But when will the BETA be availiable? How can we sign up? I don't intend to buy the subscription to DDi at all, I don't know what makes them think it is worth $7.95 a month but w/e thats up to them. They won't be getting my money until they release the full package. Not worth it at all.
Great update, as usual, since these started. i'll be buying at $4.95 a month...
The article doesn't address my biggest concern which is wha will happen if you buy the year long web content pack and then you decide you want to upgrade to the client pack when that pricing scheme becomes available.
I'll be polite, and say that it's a bad idea to charge right now, for several reasons:

1) The promised Barbarian playtest, which got pushed back without explanation. This is going to be taken as Bait and Switch.
2) The apparent inability of WotC to release timely content for Dungeon and Dragon.

Between what's going to be interpreted as dishonesty, and what looks to me like borderline incompetence, how in God's name do you expect a lot of the wavering customers to be willing to pay right now? At least release the promised articles and demonstrate one month's ability to produce what the customers are paying for without problems first.
First thing for people working on providing new features should remember: People hate change for the sake of change. They usually don't mind genuine improvements, but change just because it's change and therefore cool tends to get hackles raised. Second thing for people working on providing new 'improved' features should remember: It shouldn't be hard for users to figure out how to turn them off if they don't like them. Just because the programmer thinks he's had a great idea doesn't mean everyone else is going to agree with them.
We probably will not be done testing our Ecommerce and Entitlements system in time to launch by October 1st, so you’ll probably get a couple of extra articles for free as we continue to publish three times per week, but here’s the short version:

How do you "continue" something you have not done in two weeks, sir?

Editorials are not content.
I'll be polite, and say that it's a bad idea to charge right now, for several reasons:

1) The promised Barbarian playtest, which got pushed back without explanation. This is going to be taken as Bait and Switch.
2) The apparent inability of WotC to release timely content for Dungeon and Dragon.

Between what's going to be interpreted as dishonesty, and what looks to me like borderline incompetence, how in God's name do you expect a lot of the wavering customers to be willing to pay right now? At least release the promised articles and demonstrate one month's ability to produce what the customers are paying for without problems first.

I have to agree on the barbarian playtest article. Everyone is eagerly awaiting for this thing to be released in september after us seeing it in the original table of contents and from that gencon video of the article being made available in september. I will be taking this as a bait and switch to get us excited and to grab hold of a subscription.

But some of the wording said "Last free FULL month" so i'm wondering how to take this.

Either way if we have to pay for the playtest now I said I will make a thread on it and write to them a complaint. It will be really shameful of them to pull such stupid and dishonest crap. I don't care what explaination they give me. So it wasn't ready for september so you just decided to put it into paying october? RIIIIIIGHT. Again it's all about money. I will be kind and hold my tongue on others things I would say that may have been less than kind to say which I had to delete of lot of this post because of it.

Edit: Also says something about a few more free articles... lets just hope it's something thats worthwhile and not just as the above poster said an editorial. If the barbarian playtest is among those you will at least renew a little faith for me. Show me you're listening to us.
Hm. I won't be buying in. I think it's very unwise to start the subscription service before even one of the long-awaited D&DI tools is available. The magazines alone (especially with the haphazard release stuff, delays, and so forth) are not worth the subscription cost. The D&DI tools might be, if they were ready.

I'll scavenge what I can for free, and check back in a few months.
The article doesn't address my biggest concern which is wha will happen if you buy the year long web content pack and then you decide you want to upgrade to the client pack when that pricing scheme becomes available.

This was answered.

If you pay for a year now and full package goes live before then, you will be credited with unused potion to the cost of the full package.
Plans are always subject to change.

It's been stated elsewhere that if you've paid for a year of the "online-only" content, and they go live with "D&DI Full" in six months, you will still ride out your six months of web-only content - with the option to upgrade to the full package if you so desire.

Hope that helps.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I thought they already said it was top priority. It hasn't been top priority?

My thoughts as well.
I believe it's been their top development priority, but it may not be the top "team" priority - in favor of getting paid (which is reasonable).

Perhaps "focus" would have been a better word.

Then again, maybe it has been temporarily bumped in the list while they work on getting linked up with Digital River. ~shrug~

My thoughts as well.

WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

More of a technical comment. I subscribe to the RSS feeds, and this is the only feed that publishes itself twice. Any ideas why?
I concur with others who say it is too soon to take this seriously.

$60 for a magazine subscription for which I have to invest additional money in printer supplies if I wish to have copies of the articles that can be used away from my computer? No thanks.

I may be willing to pay for the tools once they are available. But WoTC needs to demonstrate to me that they actually have the software development skills to pull this off before I'm going to start paying them for it.

Your priorities are also out of sync with my needs, which suggests you may be on a path that isn't going to satisfy me.

Just to summarize what we have now, and on the immediate horizon, and to explain how I feel about it as a customer:

Dragon and Dungeon Content: Excellent quality. But not worth the price of admission if the only thing I am going to receive is content in a digital form.

Compendium: Great idea that will probably be more useful as more splat books accumulate. But the interface is klunky, and you haven't worked out the kinks in the mechanism by which updated content gets added to the DDI compendium. Some of the PhB content in the compendium has been a welcom correction to the content in the PhB, but some of it consists of modifications to the wording of the PhB that, when taken at face value, break the mechanics. The Pact Boon powers that have been added to the compendium are an example of the latter. Whoever added that seems unaware of the fact that wording the pact boons in that way is inconsistent with the rules for Immediate actions. So quality control on the compendium seems to be spotty, at best.

Bonus Tools: these tools have no value. seeing these tools released lowered my faith in this effort rather than increasing it.

Character Builder: this will be good to have if it works. seeing that you want to start charging before you are even able to provide a date for when this core tool will enter a beta stage suggests to me that WoTC lacks the software resources to pull this off, unfortunately. I hope that isn't true. But seriously...you want money before you even have a date for a beta?? That's how software projects which are doomed to ultimately fail begin. I hope I am wrong, because I'd like this to succeed.

Character Visualizer: this is going to be about as useless to me as the current bonus tools are. The fact that you have this so close to the top or your priority list suggests that developing useful tools that will aid DMs and players in actual play is either not a priority for this project, or beyond the capabilities of the resources the company has comitted to the effort.
More of a technical comment. I subscribe to the RSS feeds, and this is the only feed that publishes itself twice. Any ideas why?

I think it is published twice, because the message is ob to seperate wed addresses.

Maior question: How I can pay for my subscribtion? It isn't ususal in my country to own a credit card.
I'm happy for the answers to some of my questions but this bugs me:

...so you’ll probably get a couple of extra articles for free as we continue to publish three times per week...

Granted, articles for Dragon have been posted three times a week but the only thing posted for Dungeon this entire month has been an editorial. Where's the content?!
Well, this is a huge disappointment. I really do wanna join on with DDI, but at this point it's too beta for me to pay anything for it. Last month's end was a disaster when it came to deadlines and I'm not expecting too much more from this month. Even if they do pull it off with good content + meeting deadlines, one month isn't enough to think $5 is worth it given wizards' track record.

Guess I'll wait for some reviews, but it'll take some strong words and likely the rest of the tools before I'll consider buying.

And I was pretty much sold on doing so back in May...
I don't care what explaination they give me. So it wasn't ready for september so you just decided to put it into paying october? RIIIIIIGHT. Again it's all about money.

I'm a little disappointed as well by the decision to start charging so early into this, well before it seems there is a solid grasp on consistently producing content for the mags... having said that, let's not fool ourselves about WotC's intention to make money. Of course they want to make money, they're not running the Benevolent Order of the Merciful Mindflayer, they're a business. While I'm sure the people that work for WotC and create products for it love what they do, they expect to buy groceries and feed families at the end of the week, and in order for them to get paid WotC has to charge for their product.

Still, I'm unsettled by the chaos that is emanating around so many of their products right now...
I admit that I'm going to be paying regardless simply because I find the magazine content to be worth the money on its own for the moment, but I've really not been impressed with the way the "three times a week" content updates have been handled. Every month it slips and slips and there's a rush in the last week to get everything out from the table of contents for that month, one or even two articles a day.

While the idea of Insider is good and the tools would, if they behave as promised, be very nice to have for the most part, I have to agree with the general sentiment that it has not been handled well at all. If nothing else, promising it would be launched concurrently with the 4th Edition core books was a bad idea. I would almost have to suggest that each new component should have a free trial period as they come online, because I don't really envision many people willing to pay for it without making sure it works as advertised at this stage.

I applaud the idea, but abhor the execution.
I'd pay for the subscription of the magaizines $60 per year if it was the paper version. Unfortunantely, I can't afford myself this price for PDFs as far as worsen of my vision looking through the digital version costs more to pay for the oculist's services.
Indeed, I agree that work of designers and writers costs this 60 dollars.
To my regret, IMHO WOTC team made the greatest mistake when gave up in publishing of gloss magazines.
Hm. I won't be buying in. I think it's very unwise to start the subscription service before even one of the long-awaited D&DI tools is available. The magazines alone (especially with the haphazard release stuff, delays, and so forth) are not worth the subscription cost. The D&DI tools might be, if they were ready.

I'll scavenge what I can for free, and check back in a few months.

I wholeheartedly agree. Making us out here pay for things that aren't available is robbery, unless it's list as a pre-sale, which this can't be, as they're selling a service.

WotC needs to get it's stuff together before they start charging for anything in the Digital Initiative.
Damn.Maybe these prices are okay for US,but 1$ is about 23-30 Russian Roubles..I wouldn't spend all my money for 1 month of subscription.
I'm interested in the Character Builder, so until that's out, I'm out as well.

I'd pay $7.95/mo (on a month by month basis) for the e-zines and the builder, but the rest of it has no value to me.

Until then, the e-zines can be acquired elsewhere, and nothing else out at the moment warrants payment.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Disappointed is an understatement. I was looking forward to subscribing to the magazines only (not interested in the tools. If I find that I do need them, there are open source / free versions that will do in a pinch and if I really need more in depth tools, I can build them myself).

Originally Posted by Randy Buehler
Non-subscribers will be able to launch the Compendium, search for things, and see what results are returned. However, non-subscribers will not be able to click on the name of the rules element in order to see what it actually does.

So the Compendium is pretty much going to be useless now unless you have a subscription? I thought it was going to be free? Oh wait, not a useful version just the marketing version. Lame. I wouldn't care so much but that is not what we were originally led to believe if not outright told. Actually, I'm still not sure why it bugs me since I don't need the Compendium (that's what I use the books for). I'm sure others would've used it but not sure now that it's been nerfed.

Originally Posted by Randy Buehler
In other words, non-subscribers can see what things exist and what book they should go buy if they want to read more but don’t want a D&DI subscription.

Man, I'd like to lay down a whole boatload of cuss words for the way that was worded. Makes it seems like all we are is money to them. I understand businesses need money. Who doesn't? He certainly couldn't be accused of being tactful. Is this basically a table of contents? Sounds like it from the description.

As far as Dungeon & Dragon online magazines are concerned the quality is a bit dubious at best (to be fair, there have been a few, but not enough to pay for). And timeliness seems not to be too important.

$4.95 for a mostly mag subscription is a bit much for something that has no printing cost to wotc and little to no marketing cost beyond what is already in the budget for DDI (the mags are just a great face for the product. well the old ones were).

I also agree with not wanting to pay for editorials. If I'm paying, you can keep your marketing news / updates to yourself. That doesn't mean that I would be ticked of they are included in the mags (a few have been interesting), just that I wouldn't want to pay for a whole mag where there are more editorials than content.

I know that there will be people who will subscribe (I may end up one of them if wotc can deliver quality, value, and if they can follow through on promises. rather poor track record so far), but at this time it doesn't seem like it'll be worth my while.

Other questions:

If people are paying what happens if the site is down? Or if the tools are buggy / broken? Or if the Compendium isn't updated in a timely manner.

Also, what happens if I decide to subscribe in December? Do I get access to October & November's articles (full archive)? And what happens to my subscription if they promise content for a specific month and it gets pushed to some later time? Do I get a credit / refund? An extra month added to my subscription?

I love the 4e setting (minor issues, but so far a great update overall), I just feel that the 3rd ed version of this site had better written and more consistently useful articles.

I wish wotc luck (not that they need me for that), but I hope they step up their game if they intend to start charging.
Quite simply 60 dollars for a subscription to a trade magazine is unacceptable. I can get 12 issues of Cosmopoliton for 15... and they print it out and ship it to me. Even Asimov, which is HEAVY written content, charges only 40 for a year, and they STILL print it out and ship it to you.

You don't have the overhead of print. Electrons are cheaper by a HUGE portion. Even paying your writers the way you do, you still don't use that much money.

So no. Unaceptable. Go back and think about it again.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Quite simply 60 dollars for a subscription to a trade magazine is unacceptable. I can get 12 issues of Cosmopoliton for 15... and they print it out and ship it to me. Even Asimov, which is HEAVY written content, charges only 40 for a year, and they STILL print it out and ship it to you.

You don't have the overhead of print. Electrons are cheaper by a HUGE portion. Even paying your writers the way you do, you still don't use that much money.

So no. Unaceptable. Go back and think about it again.

Ah, but Aasimov and Cosmo combined are $60/year. Don't forget that Dungeon and Dragon are two separate magazines.

I don't know if that changes the value position or not, but it's a point worth considering, I think.

Hafta speak up as a fan of the on-line mags, as I feel that a lot of the criticism on this thread is undeserved.

Firstly, $60 a year for two monthly magazines is a very fair subscription rate. How many other hobby magazines do you know of that produce the amount and quality of substance found in Dungeon and Dragon, complete with beautiful full-color art and no advertisements, for $30/year? I don't know of any.

Format is in part a matter of preference. I understand the dismay of those who prefer to hold paper copies--at the same time, I myself vastly prefer the digital format, and I am sure others do as well. Less mess around the house, easier for me to find stuff. Oh, and if anyone at Wizards is reading this, an annual digital index would be smashing!

Digital publishing has another advantage, which is that Wizards can deliver content to us in a more timely fashion. Granted, the M-W-F schedule hasn't worked out, but even if there is a rush at the end of the month (and in publishing, there is always a rush come press time), the bottom line is that the content is there. Wizards isn't failing to release material, and keep in mind that even the articles released on the last day of the month are in your hands two weeks earlier than they would be if Wizards had to wait to publish everything in a print version and send it through the post.

And for those who resent Wizard's decision to start charging "so soon," please go take a look at the PDFs of the complete issues of Dungeon and Dragon that have been released for the past three months. There is nothing half-baked about those issues. Every one is print-quality material, and every one has been given away for free. Take $25 and multiply it by the number of people who have perused any of those articles over the past few months to get an idea of how much material Wizards has presented to its fan base free of cost as a show of good faith as they get DDI off the ground. It's practically the equivalent of mailing free PHB's to every D&D fan in the world. Whether the material is a worthwhile investment to you is, of course, a personal matter, but describing Wizards' business model as "robbery" or money-grubbing is just plain wrong-headed.

Lastly, the much-maligned Bonus Tools. Here I am most in agreement with other posters on this thread--they're not up to snuff. But given that the basic DDI subscription is already perfectly justified by the magazine content, I regard these tools exactly as they are described: as a bonus. Maybe they're not all they could be, but I'm not one to turn my nose up at free extras, and I think they have potential. I know in my 3E game I used the Hypertext d20 extensively during play; if the Compendium can give me similar functionality (which I think it will in the near future), I'll be thrilled to have it.

In closing, never forget that the folks at Wizards aren't just working for the $$$. Yeah, they have bills to pay like the rest of us, but more than that, they are also this game's biggest fans. They want to make this stuff good and make it available even more than we want it. Keeping that in mind, we may find a little more patience while we wait for the next free content release.
Ah, but Aasimov and Cosmo combined are $60/year. Don't forget that Dungeon and Dragon are two separate magazines.

I don't know if that changes the value position or not, but it's a point worth considering, I think.

And both of those mags are still printed and shipped to you, another point worth considering. Dungeon and Dragon still cost more (or about the same)and deliver less.
And for those who resent Wizard's decision to start charging "so soon," please go take a look at the PDFs of the complete issues of Dungeon and Dragon that have been released for the past three months. There is nothing half-baked about those issues. Every one is print-quality material, and every one has been given away for free.

No resentment from me if they start charging. WotC put themselves in this situation. They could have been charging from day one of the roll out if they had their act together.
So the Compendium is pretty much going to be useless now unless you have a subscription? I thought it was going to be free? Oh wait, not a useful version just the marketing version. Lame. I wouldn't care so much but that is not what we were originally led to believe if not outright told. Actually, I'm still not sure why it bugs me since I don't need the Compendium (that's what I use the books for). I'm sure others would've used it but not sure now that it's been nerfed.

I am fairly certain that it was announced last year that only paying members would have access to the full compendium and others would be able to look at the items listed but not see descriptions.

As far as this all goes I love the pricing. The pricing is great, once you have the DM Table, Visualizer and DM Tools up.

I agree with everyone else $5-8 bucks a month for articles that are CONSTANTLY late it not acceptable at all. Especially when you factor in the cost of paper to print and the cost of ink as well.

Not to mention the inconsistency as someone mentioned before with things not being worded properly to mesh nicely with the core books is a headache. I look forward to eventually using the tools and the pricing will be nice when they are available. But a few lame bonus tools is not enough to make up for what we are NOT getting. My money will be staying in my pocket for the time being.
Feel Free to add me as a friend. I am always looking for more of those around here The Pathfinder Archives: A WotC community dedicated to Pathfinder and the conversion/creation of new Feats, Races, Classes, Prestige Classes, Equipment and more. Haynz Designs: T-Shirts and more Designed by Fallensbane. Roleplaying Inspired merchandise available. Fallensbane on Deviant Art: My Deviant art page. I upload Photography, Photo-shop work and sometimes RPG Maps and Resources
I just have to say I question the wisdom of level limits on the beta test, I think when the point of a beta test is to work out the kinks, locking out part of the program just limits what gets tested. In effect, instead of a beta, a couple of people are getting a demo.

And of course, how does one go about becoming one of the select few to get in on the beta?
This was answered.

If you pay for a year now and full package goes live before then, you will be credited with unused potion to the cost of the full package.

Oh....well awesome that is exactly what I wanted. I'll definatly sign up the day it goes live then. Whoo!

I'm interested in the Character Builder, so until that's out, I'm out as well.

I'd pay $7.95/mo (on a month by month basis) for the e-zines and the builder, but the rest of it has no value to me.

Until then, the e-zines can be acquired elsewhere, and nothing else out at the moment warrants payment.

Not going to happen. The character buiilder is part of the client package. As such you either have the options of only getting the magazines for 7.99 or getting everything for the higher price(14.99?)....unless you are willing to pay for longer periods of time.
Firstly, $60 a year for two monthly magazines is a very fair subscription rate. How many other hobby magazines do you know of that produce the amount and quality of substance found in Dungeon and Dragon, complete with beautiful full-color art and no advertisements, for $30/year? I don't know of any.

That is a fair point, but it's also worth noting that there is a reason there are no hobby magazine's purchasable for yearly subscriptions that lack advertising: the business model of such a venture probably wouldn't work.
I'm not a regular poster of late, but was when the trial mags were really struggling. I was not a happy camper then, but really see things as much improved now, in no small part because I do actually like the new edition.

A couple points:

First off, Randy I love your updates. Direct, full of actual information, and apparently with an ear towards the forum mob. Good stuff, I hope you stick with the job because you're the only one imo who's delivered solid customer information in the last year or so (with the exception of volunteers like Wolf, et al).

Secondly, although the magazine quality and quantity can certainly improve, I see the $4.95 a month price point as just about right, and will be subscribing. I do hope the editing and accuracy (maps, etc...) improve, and I really hope you borrow more AP mechanics from Paizo, but overall I'm fairly satisfied. I can't help but see this as the equivalent of a couple cups of coffee, and that just isn't very much money for the content we're starting to see.
I'm assuming the "new articles three times a week" is between both magazines...

So I guess the question is: if they continue to be late with the articles, do we get our money back? I don't really want to sign up for a subscription that doesn't get delivered.

I'll probably pay for a month, see if they're on the ball, and if so get the full subscription.

That said, I personally think if they continue to deliver, the price is about right.
I need to say that those who are defending the magazines as beeing worth the price have every right to. Doesn't change the fact that I think you're wrong.

Consider the content that is delivered in the E-zines compared to Cosmo or other printed magazines... (using this because its been used in this thread)

Consider the amount that we're getting in these magazines compared to the other magazines mentioned in the thread.

Need I say more?
I need to say that those who are defending the magazines as beeing worth the price have every right to. Doesn't change the fact that I think you're wrong.

Consider the content that is delivered in the E-zines compared to Cosmo or other printed magazines... (using this because its been used in this thread)

Consider the amount that we're getting in these magazines compared to the other magazines mentioned in the thread.

Need I say more?

In the case of Cosmo one could make the argument that a blank sheet of paper has more content....:P

But yes you do need to say more because you didn't provide any facts to back up your opinion. How many pages are in a standard magazine these days? How many of those pages are full page ads(or half page ad that stretches accross two pages)? How does Dragon(or Dungeon) compare when you subtract the ads from the standard number of pages? I'd check this stuff myself, but I don't have any magazines immediatly available myself.
Not going to happen. The character buiilder is part of the client package. As such you either have the options of only getting the magazines for 7.99 or getting everything for the higher price(14.99?)....unless you are willing to pay for longer periods of time.

See, this is where I know you're wrong. It fully well has the ability *to* happen. Hasbro, and Wizard's, have a figure they have already attached to the DDi. There is a successful figure, a "we can live with that" figure, and (just like we saw with the GSL and 3pp) a "we need to re-evaluate" figure.

If enough folks speak with their wallets, the pricing structure and model will change.

There are still many tools out there that can cover the character builder, it's a nice to have, not a necessity. Same goes with the table.

I've love to use the official one, but nothing is forcing us to.

Wizard's took the wrong approach with books and magazines already. They could have hit a cash cow with print and electronic versions if they would have looked beyond the corporate sand in hand box. Perhaps they might still someday, but for now, I feel that opportunity has passed.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

I've been holding my peace for a while now when it comes to these DI "updates". I put that in quotes, because for the majority of June, July, and August the "updates" consisted primarily of "nothing's ready yet, and we have no timetables." Is there really any question as to why so many of us doubt WotC's alleged prioritization of DI? Like many other D&D players, I was looking forward to building my own dungeons and playing D&D with distant friends using the online content back in June.... which we were told for TEN MONTHS was going to be the release date for Digital Insider.

Secondly, the only articles I've found useful whatsoever have been the stand-alone adventures. Even the other articles that LOOK appealing are massacred by internal inconsistencies; for instance, take the Mithrendain city article. While it seemed really cool at first glance, actually reading it ruined it for me. The fact that the city's only been around for a hundred years or so and generations of Eladrin have came and passed since? Really? I could have sworn I read in the PHB that Eladrin live to be 300 years old or so. And the fact that the city was built on a passageway to the Underdark, but somehow nobody but a select few are aware of this? I guess that has something to do with the nine generations of mysteriously short-lived Eladrin that have been inhabiting the place, huh?

Thirdly, the editorials are terrible. I'm sorry, but I couldn't care less about whatever's happening at your gaming table at corporate. I have my own game sessions that I go to, and quite frankly yours are boring by comparison. In contrast, the old 3rd. edition editorials were actually informative and gave me perspective on what elements to use in a game.... remember the old Sibling Rivalry articles? Those were usually relevant, frequently informative, and always entertaining.

(and don't say i'm bashing 4th edition on this one, either. i love 4th edition, it's smoother and has faster gameplay, but the webcontent is LACKING.)

I'm not about to pay for content that's lacking in the extreme. That is, if your development team even HAS the direction to actually implement this price plan. If the "progress" of DI over the past 4 months is any indicator, I don't think anyone's going to be asked to pay a nickel until February '09.
I'm surprised, even for the internet, at the hatred in these posts. Why would they give away all the rules in the compendium for free? That just makes no sense to me at all. Of course they should charge for the compendium that has the rules content.

I like the bonus tools, and having them offers no pain to the rest of the organization.

I like dragon and kind of like dungeon so far. I'm disappointed that the content doesn't come out consistently like I expect, but if it comes out a day late or something that doesn't really change its value to me.