Dungeon Magazine Announces New Adventure Path

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Scales of War Adventure Path will premiere in Dungeon #156, July 2008, with the 1st-level adventure “Rescue at Rivenroar,” by Wizards of the Coast designer David Noonan. Scales of War will continue each month in Dungeon, taking characters from 1st level all the way to 30th over the course of 18 adventures, spanning 18 months. This is the most ambitious Adventure Path in Dungeon’s history, and will take full advantage of the versatility of the new 4th Edition D&D rules. Support articles will appear regularly in Dragon, beginning with issue #366, August 2008.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080630a
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Yep, good to see a formal announcement about it. It would be even better if the new AP kicked off early in July rather than later - seeing as there were no introductory adventures in the first month.
Yep, good to see a formal announcement about it. It would be even better if the new AP kicked off early in July rather than later - seeing as there were no introductory adventures in the first month.

Others have said Wizards may not have wanted to compete with itself, but putting a level one adventure in the magazines while a level one adventure was sitting in retail shelves with ink still wet from the printers.

It seems plausible.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Others have said Wizards may not have wanted to compete with itself, but putting a level one adventure in the magazines while a level one adventure was sitting in retail shelves with ink still wet from the printers.

It seems plausible.

Unless you think that a printed adventure is 100% better than a possible level 1 Adventure that will appear in an E-zine you have no interest in.

Ones an Apple
Ones an Orange
Although both are Fruit..you can't compare them
I'm optimistically looking forward to this adventure path.
Unless you think that a printed adventure is 100% better than a possible level 1 Adventure that will appear in an E-zine you have no interest in.

Ones an Apple
Ones an Orange
Although both are Fruit..you can't compare them

If I'm a DM and my group is only interested in running a single weekly campaign (as I imagine most groups are) and I'm on a tight budget, what do you think I'm going to prioritize? The $30 level-1 adventure, or the free level-1 adventure? On average, assuming that the quality on the free one isn't abysmal (and I don't expect it will be), I'll take the free adventure to run for my group. That $30 can buy us pizza for the whole length of it.

In short, they are totally comparable.
Tales from the Rusty Dragon (http://rustydragon.blogspot.com) - A 4th Edition Conversion Project Covering Paizo's Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path
If I'm a DM and my group is only interested in running a single weekly campaign (as I imagine most groups are) and I'm on a tight budget, what do you think I'm going to prioritize? The $30 level-1 adventure, or the free level-1 adventure? On average, assuming that the quality on the free one isn't abysmal (and I don't expect it will be), I'll take the free adventure to run for my group. That $30 can buy us pizza for the whole length of it.

In short, they are totally comparable.

A single adventure without fancy scaled battlemaps and elaborate player handouts ain't worth no $30.00..period

Paizo beats that by 14.00 for an adventure...Print Version and a Free PDF..

There are many DM's that would say that paying anything is stupid for any adventure
Well, let's put it this way. I just dropped my sixty bucks on Amazon for these core books. I would like to try the new game before buying more books. My group has been kind of anti-4e, and after several months since the announcement we haven't played any D&D at all. I have finally gotten them to agree to try it. I don't want to drop thirty bucks, or even twenty on Amazon, just to have them not like it on the first session without even finishing the adventure.

If the group does like it, we're talking about four other guys potentially buying 4e books. I am sure my situation is not unique; the new edition has struggled to win people over and the support right now is crucial. Not to mention the fact that you're also going to be charging us for Dungeon pretty soon, and you might like to prove the usefulness of the e-zine.
Well, let's put it this way. I just dropped my sixty bucks on Amazon for these core books. I would like to try the new game before buying more books. My group has been kind of anti-4e, and after several months since the announcement we haven't played any D&D at all. I have finally gotten them to agree to try it. I don't want to drop thirty bucks, or even twenty on Amazon, just to have them not like it on the first session without even finishing the adventure.

If the group does like it, we're talking about four other guys potentially buying 4e books. I am sure my situation is not unique; the new edition has struggled to win people over and the support right now is crucial. Not to mention the fact that you're also going to be charging us for Dungeon pretty soon, and you might like to prove the usefulness of the e-zine.

At the risk of playing devil's advocate here.

If you're just looking to play an adventure to judge the value/fun of 4th Edition - what's stopping you from rolling 5th level characters and running Heathen?

I know many of us want to start at 1st level and progress, but I could argue that playing slightly higher-level characters (with more powers at hand) might give a better representation of the game as a whole.

If I'm not mistaken the rules for creating higher-level characters are in the PHB.

It's an option to get you playing without any further expenditures. (Starting in August you could also download RPGA modules, assuming you and your players are RPGA members).

[EDIT]

For that matter, there's also "Kobold Hall" in the back of the DMG (page 210).

While not a super amazing adventure, it can be a good sample of the combat rules for you and your players.

You know, you make a good point. Half the time in 3e my friends wanted to start at higher levels anyway. I would think it'd be easier to learn from first level when you don't have so many powers, but with these guys they might just jump in the deep end.
You know, you make a good point. Half the time in 3e my friends wanted to start at higher levels anyway. I would think it'd be easier to learn from first level when you don't have so many powers, but with these guys they might just jump in the deep end.

I don't have my PHB in-hand (it's in the car and I just woke up) but I think the only changes between 1st and 5th level are:
  • a new Utility Power
  • a 2nd Encounter Power
  • a 2nd Daily Power
  • 2 additional Feats
  • +1 to two ability scores

So, yeah, go for it. They'll have a few extra options to play with, without being in so deep they're over their heads. Should be lots of fun.

If you go this route, I *believe* that each character would also be created with magic items of 6th, 5th, and 4th level. Plus gold equal to the cost of a 4th level item.

I, for one, would love to hear how your group feels about taking this path, as well as the general impressions of Heathen.