Dragon 364-Campaign Classics - Hazards of Dark Sun

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Athas, the world of the Dark Sun campaign setting, presented Dungeons & Dragons players with one of the most challenging environments ever conceived of in a roleplaying game. It was a strange and alien world populated by a myriad of terrifying creatures and unusual races. Though metal was a rarity, psionics were everywhere. The beasts that characters encountered beyond the walls of the seven city-states were dangerous, but they were not the only hazards that heroes faced.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drcamp/20080630&authentic=true
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Yay to the return of Dark Sun in 4th Ed. But less of a yay for the article. It was serving the weak-sauce.

The first two hazards were to similar in game terms (restrained with on going damage on a hit, escape check or beat the tar out of it as countermeasures.), and differed little fluff wise. All the hazards were in the heroic tier (in the first half of that tier no less). It is all about plant life??? I mean of all the things to lead off the reinvigoration of the Dark Sun campaign??? And game wise they just left me flat.
I was very happy when I saw that the Dark Sun article was up...but it's small and weak. It's not all bad. It does contain usable crunch. It's just disapointing, that's all.
I think the biggest things Dark Sun needs are iconic races and some way to work the "magic is evil and psionics is the order of the day" thing.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
I mean of all the things to lead off the reinvigoration of the Dark Sun campaign???

It's not a re invigoration, it's a plot to hopefully give you enough false hope that you might see cool stuff in the DDi when it goes pay. But, unless I missed anything, FR is 2008, Eberron is 2009, so that leaves Dark Sun when?

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Any Mention of Dark Sun is a step in the right Direction. Thank you for the touch of a flavour that I've been missing for quite some time. I'd glady trade every mention of Eberron that will ever be released for one really good piece of Thri-Kreen Art.

I say keep it up, gather momentum, release the Dark Sun campaign setting, collect my money, then start calling DiTerlizzi about working on a new vision for Planescape...in fact why wait...Tony would do a good job with Athas too!

What a beautiful dream!
It's not a re invigoration, it's a plot to hopefully give you enough false hope that you might see cool stuff in the DDi when it goes pay. But, unless I missed anything, FR is 2008, Eberron is 2009, so that leaves Dark Sun when?

Year three (ie 2010) is the date I hear - admittedly that is a rumor I heard back when the board was organized completely differently and I can no longer find the appropriate post. Perhaps someone can dig up the blog post that supports that date.
Year three (ie 2010) is the date I hear - admittedly that is a rumor I heard back when the board was organized completely differently and I can no longer find the appropriate post. Perhaps someone can dig up the blog post that supports that date.

So far I've heard that Dragonlance is 2010, or Ravenloft, or Dark Sun. It depends on who you ask.

I'm officially starting the SpellJammer in 2015 rumor here and now.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

What the heck am I suppose to do with these hazards? I'd have to homebrew pretty much all of Dark Sun just to be able to run a 4e Dark Sun game. It seems like a lot of effort. So why bother giving people 2 hazards when so few people will bother?
What the heck am I suppose to do with these hazards? I'd have to homebrew pretty much all of Dark Sun just to be able to run a 4e Dark Sun game. It seems like a lot of effort. So why bother giving people 2 hazards when so few people will bother?

I can think of various reasons, ranging from cynical to encouraging (though, I personally tend to focus on the "encouraging" aspects more).

For starters, just because these are labeled as "Dark Sun" doesn't mean they can't be used elsewhere. So they toss 'em out there as a teaser of what else may come, and those that are either still playing Dark Sun can retro-fit these new hazards to their existing campaigns, or the REALLY hard core that are doing the homebrew adaptations have something "official" to play with. In the meantime, I can see these hazards showing up in Xen'Drik (Eberron) or Anauroch (Forgotten Realms).

Later if/when Dark Sun get a full 4E treatment there will be a plethora (if something new comes out every month or two) of information ready to go for DDI subscribers.

It could also simply be a token of good faith - "Hey, Dark Sunners, we know we've abandoned you in the past, but we're really gonna make it up to you. Here's what your world has inspired us to do already."

Or it could simply be that Mr. Astleford is a Dark Sun fan and wanted to share a taste of his preferred world to those of us that never got to try Dark Sun.

So far I've heard that Dragonlance is 2010, or Ravenloft, or Dark Sun. It depends on who you ask.

I'm officially starting the SpellJammer in 2015 rumor here and now.

"Must.. stop .. sentient..hamsters!"
Evil hamster-men?!

Damn, I'm sold.
Evil hamster-men?!

Damn, I'm sold.

They weren't human-hamster hybrids. They were just giant intelligent space hamsters. And while they were vastly amusing, I think they helped kill the franchise. It was hard to take spelljammer seriously after the hamsters gnawed their way into the setting. I do think however that the space hamsters gave the designers the idea for templates as the came about in 3rd Ed. Witness the fire-breathing phase doppelganger giant space hamster.
It is certainly nice to see that the Campaign Classics feature continues. It was by far my favorite feature in the mags during the Paizo era.

Havard
I am getting this thread moved to Dragon Article Discussion
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere