The Penny Arcade D&D podcasts

170 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I really like listening to the PA guys' take on KotS. But did WotC really have to post a live run-through of a current module. I had intended to run KotS as is, that's not going to happen now, though because in their infinite wisdom WotC has spoiled it for the group because they all seem to be enjoying the series as well. Thanks alot for helping me waste $30. I won't be buying the next one either, you'll probably just spoil that one too.
Ok, I really like listening to the PA guys' take on KotS. But did WotC really have to post a live run-through of a current module. I had intended to run KotS as is, that's not going to happen now, though because in their infinite wisdom WotC has spoiled it for the group because they all seem to be enjoying the series as well. Thanks alot for helping me waste $30. I won't be buying the next one either, you'll probably just spoil that one too.

Tho there are some similarities, I would think it different enough that you could compensate for it. Irontooth and Balgroth (sp) were basically merged into one character. My DM (assuming we ever get around to playing) was thinking about using KotS but changing it to make it his own.
Yeah, this isn't the exact module. They have skipped alot at the beginning and completely changed the combined two of the main baddies into one incarnation. They've also changed the location and type of alot of the monster. So, if you were to play the module some things would be familiar but by no means the same.
Plus you should remind your players there is a huge difference between player knowledge and character knowledge.
Episode 5 is up. They've jumped forward quite a bit and promoted everyone to 3rd level. As part of this they've fast forwarded to just before the climatic showdown at the end of the module.

Even at third level they got owned pretty hard by the ghoul, zombies, and clap construct. The Cleric even went down. I'm going to be interested to see how they handle, or how the DM has modified, the climatic series of events.

My only complaint would be that the action seemed to be a little less funny during this combat. That might have been part of the PA guys thinking they were about to be owned. Hopefully things pick back up in episode 6.
I think the point being made byt he OP is they should not have charged for something for people to want to play only to ruin/spoil it in some podcast posted on the WotC website.

IF I had purchased this, and had players talking about it in ANY way I would have wanted a refund for KotS as well.

Why is WotC even having another sites podcast listed on ITS D&D website anyway?

Player/character knowledge aside, some players prefer to NOT know anything in advacne because they like to be surprised by something as well. WHOOPS! there goes that for them.

spoiler tags/bbcode = [ sblock][/sblock]

It exists for a reason, but WotC wasn't even decent enough to think along those lines.

Not everybody wants to hear about something before they experience it for themselves like modules, movies, books, etc.
This isn't another site's podcast. They went to the Penny Arcade folks and asked them if they wanted to play for a series of podcasts. It's publicity to try and get the news about 4E out to a broader audience of geek.

Also, as I pointed out before they have changed the adventure pretty fundamentally and even skipped most of it. Monsters have been moved around and even renamed. This isn't Keep on the Shadowfell.
Yeah, this is not KOTS. It's more like Kobold Hall with three or four rooms from KOTS.
Is it me or does the link in the Dragon features page offer up podcast 4 instead of 5? I refuse to load itunes and want the 5th one. Anyone have a work around?
Is it me or does the link in the Dragon features page offer up podcast 4 instead of 5? I refuse to load itunes and want the 5th one. Anyone have a work around?

Not just you, Im getting #4 as well.

Bludvayne...sorry, but that is just a rediculous statement. Now I haven't listened to #5 yet, but NOTHING in the first 4 have done anything to spoil a run thru of KotS, except maybey the trap in the first room. And with that, you can just swap it out for a different one.

Don't be so melodramatic sheesh. ;)
Not just you, Im getting #4 as well.

Yeah, I am getting the 4th episode as well.

And I think with regard to spoilers, the Irontooth encounter is supposed to be a lot bigger and a lot harder in KotS. It was probably adjusted for only having 3 players.

Cheers, Simon.

*EDIT*
I emailed about the link, and it all seems to be fine now.
Yes, the Irontooth encounter in the actual adventure is completely and totally different. In every way imaginable. From what I've been reading he's been the most dangerous opponent in the entire adventure to most people.
And I agree, this one seemed to lack a little of the entertainment aspect, but I think thats cause the other DM tried to be funnier than this new guy and also, they were getting smacked pretty hard. Still, it was good just like the others so I hope they keep it up.
It seems like he didn't actually listen to the podcast and just heard that it was made using the module.
It seems like he didn't actually listen to the podcast and just heard that it was made using the module.

That's the impression I'm getting too. Having read about a few play sessions from another person running KotS (including the Irontooth encounter) the Penny Arcade/PvP is almost completely different.
Maybe listening to the podcast would reveal too much if ANY part of it was the same and someone wanted to be surprised by every bit of it when they play it?
Maybe listening to the podcast would reveal too much if ANY part of it was the same and someone wanted to be surprised by every bit of it when they play it?

I can appreciate that. As different from the actual module the podcast is they do mention real NPCs used in the "retail" version of the module. A couple of randomly generated encounters for use in showcasing the 4E rules would have sufficed.
i love the podcasts myself (been great for clearing up some questions I had regarding 4E gameplay), and I am pretty sure the rest of the guys in my 3.5 campaign are not listening, so when i introduce them to 4E/KotS there shouldnt be any problems.

That being said, I see in itunes and the rss feed that eps 6,7 and 8 are now listed, but the links to the mp3 files is dead. Anyone else haivng the same problem?
Ya, they just put them up, they haven't actually placed the files for download yet.
Ya, they just put them up, they haven't actually placed the files for download yet.

Yeah its quite evil cause I was like "Yay, 3 more episodes in a row." than could not download them. Bastards ;p
So episode 6 is out and this DM seems like hes making some really hard encounters for 3 people.

From the little that I can tell both encounters (assuming the monsters are the same level as they are in Kots) are at least Encounter Level 5, and they are level 3.
As a warning for those people who care, it does look like this DM (episode 5 and 6) is closer to how KOTS is then the other tho obviously tweaked a little down since they are only 3 players instead of 5.
It's closer but still not exact. Some of the mobs in episode six are the same and some are completely different.

That being said I agree this seems to be really hard. First off they are running a group that's short two people of the average and second these are the rough encounters at the very end of the module. I'm going to be interested to see if they live through this.
Yeah, this is not KOTS. It's more like Kobold Hall with three or four rooms from KOTS.

QFT

There is very little that is similar between the podcast and KotS. Let's see if I can make a list here:

1. The entire first 'act' of the module is missing from the podcast.
2. Two of the bosses were merged into one.
3. There's very little of the actual story behind the Keep and who the current residents are. Actually, there's practically no story being told at all. It's simply a series of encounters.
4. They didn't mention how to solve the puzzle in the room with the plaque and the rusted armor.
5. They skipped a lot of content in the Keep. They did 3 or 4 of the beginning encounters then skipped to near the end after leveling to 3.
6. In the 6th episode, a lot of things have changed in the encounters.

If my players had listened to the podcast, I wouldn't have minded. The only thing they might be able to get from it was something from the first room (spoiler, so I won't mention exactly). And if I saw my players avoiding this thing, I would remind them about using metagame knowledge.

This is obviously a marketing scheme. They wanted to market 4e, and KotS. I'm enjoying the podcast, and I hope they do more things like this.
I like that the most successful member of the party is "Jim Darkmagic" considering all the "wizards got teh nerf" on these forums.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
I like that the most successful member of the party is "Jim Darkmagic" considering all the "wizards got teh nerf" on these forums.

Its also entertaining that hes the one that has never played before.
Yeah, I'm gonna chime in with the 'No.'s on the podcast ruining Keep on the Shadowfell. All they'd know is that there are zombies, goblins, and some dude called Irontooth.

I think the most important thing is showing a veteran and a brand new player both having fun and getting to do cool stuff, though. It really highlights what I feel is the strongest point of the new system, how much more accessible it feels.

Yes! Nothing better to get the neophyte hooked on a game than to have him constantly saving the party.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
And now we know what the threshold for censoring in the podcasts is.

F-bombs = uncensored
C-bombs = censored
And now we know what the threshold for censoring in the podcasts is.

F-bombs = uncensored
C-bombs = censored

Yeah I thought that interesting as well. Im wondering if the bleep was a joke or not. More than likely not but still, im surprised. Personally I wish they would not censor it as especially now that they say there will be strong language. But I generally don't use the best of language either so to each his own :P
Any good censor should make it impossible to guess what word was blocked, just a bad word (in the view of the censor) was used.

That said, the small section of the net I moderate with another there are two words filtered, my co-host could only type one to me when discussing how many and what words clearly needed to be filtered.
Plans are always subject to change.
Any good censor should make it impossible to guess what word was blocked, just a bad word (in the view of the censor) was used.

That said, the small section of the net I moderate with another there are two words filtered, my co-host could only type one to me when discussing how many and what words clearly needed to be filtered.

See the issue is by the context of what is being said you generally can guess the word. The issue is even more ludicrous on tv as you can usually tell by reading lips exactly what is being said. All it does is prevent the kids in the next room to hear it. My answer to this, ear plugs ;p

All kidding aside, I think it should be uncensored. But I think everything should be, so again im probably not the best one to make decisions like that, which is why I don't ;)
by the way is this really appropriate for Dragon? If I was paying for this I would be ****** at the editors for wasting this much editorial "space" on it. I would much rather see more game content than this stuff same go's for Confessions of a Full-Time Wizard, mind you it's at lest a fun read. The Keep on the Shadowfell Dungeon article felt like it should be in the module or a web enhancement not in Dungeon.
It's fun, and it's attracting people to the game.

And we're not paying, at least not yet. If I was paying fifteen bucks a month for that content, it might be a different story, but as-is, I think the Penny Arcade stuff's a clever bit of marketing.
I love listening to them too. It is a good look into mechanics. I figured they where running keep but when I got it today it was so different I couldnt tell they where the same cept some names (Winterhaven, Irontooth/Balgrom). The podcasts are pretty funny also.

He's the also the most entertaining to listen to. SPOILER ALERT

"That's JIM's magic missile, b***ch"

"Expeditious retreat is like a 'get out of crazy b***ch' card"

After failing a key stealth roll, drawing immense aggro. "Jim apologizes, for like, all this"

After frying a dying dwarf ally "Don't worry, you're fine."
I think the module is not ruined in any way what so ever. I also think they should post more of these sessions with some way to include rules being used and explained by one of the creators so we can get the true meaning of what they are getting at with some of the rules.

I personally had no idea that the Wizard could have used the Magic missile in a opportunity attack.

I would like more of these or more of these edited to explain rules more clearly with examples.

Also I want to know how they are doing their play mat. Are they drawing on a large paper and the DM is drawing on the paper and then erasing and redrawing again? Or are they doing something else?

I may have more as I have not finished listening to all of these yet.
Yeah I thought that interesting as well. Im wondering if the bleep was a joke or not. More than likely not but still, im surprised. Personally I wish they would not censor it as especially now that they say there will be strong language. But I generally don't use the best of language either so to each his own :P

I've listened to several of Penny Arcade's earlier podcasts and Gabe and Tycho have no problem tossing around the odd four-letter (and even the hyphenated 12-letter on rare occasions). I think they probably bleeped the "C-word" for effect based on the build-up by the guy playing Bronze-Bottom. I actually thought it was funnier that they bleeped it after expressly giving Bronze-Bottom permission to use profanity (as in, "sure, she's a Berserker with a capital "B" but did you have to go there?") Let's face it, the "C-word" is a powerful force that should be used in only the most extreme cases. You can get away with telling someone to "F-off" in some of the more liberal churches but try yelling the "C-word" across a crowded room and see if you don't get thrown out with a scarlet letter pinned to your chest. That word just seems to end conversations like a slap in the face.

As an aside, I haven't played D&D since 2nd edition but after listening to the podcasts, I went out and bought the new Player's Handbook. :D
Now I am wondering what this C-word is. I had been thinking it was a slang term for a part of anatomy, but the church bit doesn't seem to say that...

"What is it you can't face?"
I personally had no idea that the Wizard could have used the Magic missile in a opportunity attack.

They cannot by RAW. You can only make opportunity attacks with basic melee attacks. Magic Missile is a basic attack, yes, but it ain't melee. I think the DM made a boo-boo.
"Hey, so how strong of language can we use here", etc., etc., etc., goes on for a bit.
"Whatever you want."
"Ok this chick is a "

Heh, it was kinda amusing.