Dragon and Dungeon Hard copys?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have not been able to find anywhere whether the DnD Magazines are going to be released in a hard copy so i can buy it at my local gaming store or do i have to print out the pdf files my self. That would be very uncool i must add. Thanks for anyone who can answer this for me.
I have not been able to find anywhere whether the DnD Magazines are going to be released in a hard copy so i can buy it at my local gaming store or do i have to print out the pdf files my self. That would be very uncool i must add. Thanks for anyone who can answer this for me.

There are no stated plans to produce hard copies. It appears if you want print you need to arrange for your own printing.
Plans are always subject to change.
Yes, the printed Dungeon and Dragon magazines are no more as of a couple of years ago. They are being relaunched as a part of DnD Insider in a digital format.
Yes, the printed Dungeon and Dragon magazines are no more as of a couple of years ago.

Years pass quickly in your part of the world. The last real issue of Dragon (and Dungeon) was september -07, a little more than half a year ago - at least hereabouts. ;)
I went through Basic Training and halfway through OCS in that time. Trust me it felt like years.:P
Kind of related post I guess.

It seems that I'm having trouble saving a copy of the Dragon article to my computer for easy access but it keeps saying I can't save the file in that location.

Bug or Feature?
Odds are, even if the D&DI fails, we'll never see Dragon and Dungeon in print again. If you're looking for a print copy that is every bit as good try kobold Quarterly for Dragon (www.koboldquarterly.com) and Pathfinder for Dungeon.
Odds are, even if the D&DI fails, we'll never see Dragon and Dungeon in print again. If you're looking for a print copy that is every bit as good try kobold Quarterly for Dragon (www.koboldquarterly.com) and Pathfinder for Dungeon.

I've heard that it costs upwards of a $1,000,000 to start up a print magazine. Dragon and Dungeon are history as far as print is concerned. For better or worse, their future lies online. I just hope that if the D&DI falls short of expectations (as I personally feel it will) that it won't drag the e-zines down with it. I'd bet that at least a million bucks has been devoted to the D&DI, so it's gotta be a make-it-or-break-it deal.

As far as hardcopies of Dragon and Dungeon, I've been wondering if it's possible to print trade paperbacks, say four times a year. Marvel and DC do this with their monthly series (collecting several issues into a single book).

Apparently its a different type of thing than a monthly magazine. Trade paperback reprints have worked well for for the comic industry (which is basically a magazine publisher). I don't see why it couldn't be successful for WotC. Dragon and Dungeon could still have their place online while print fans get what they want.
/\ Art

KQ is quite decent, but it is very uncertain how much it will contain for 4e. Pathfinder can hardly be compared to Dungeon, as it is an adventure path, designed for PFRPG, which is like 3.75. Meaning, if you are looking for stand-alone adventures which are easily adapted to a homebrew world, Pathfinder is not it.

So, (e)dungeon is it if you want 4e adventures for now. But both Goodman Games, Necromancers and one more will be publishing 4e material - eventually.
KQ is quite decent, but it is very uncertain how much it will contain for 4e. Pathfinder can hardly be compared to Dungeon, as it is an adventure path, designed for PFRPG, which is like 3.75. Meaning, if you are looking for stand-alone adventures which are easily adapted to a homebrew world, Pathfinder is not it.

So, (e)dungeon is it if you want 4e adventures for now. But both Goodman Games, Necromancers and one more will be publishing 4e material - eventually.

I think KQ will slowly phase out the 3.5 stuff in favor of 4E. New players will overwhelmingly start playing the current edition of the game. I don't think KQ will be publishing 3.5 stuff by this time next year.

I know Pathfinder isn't perfect, but its the best in print alternative we have now. I hope Necromancer and Goodman Games can fill the gap for good print adventures soon.
I don't think KQ CAN phase out 3.5 slowly, given the GSL.

I'm pretty sure it's either 3.x or 4th edition, but no mixing and matching. The question then becomes which edition the fans want (and want to pay for). Right now 3rd edition (specifically the pathfinder rules) has won the polling for the fans of KQ.

What the future holds, only the fans and Wolfgang can say.

That said, does anyone know anything about print on demand? Luna does this, and I was wondering if it was legal and within reason to print dungeon and dragon on demand? (Course $15 per month plus paying for two print on demand mags seems a bit steep, but we'll also be able to buy the pdfs a la carte at some point, and they might make this a reasonable goal).
I don't think KQ CAN phase out 3.5 slowly, given the GSL.

I'm pretty sure it's either 3.x or 4th edition, but no mixing and matching. The question then becomes which edition the fans want (and want to pay for). Right now 3rd edition (specifically the pathfinder rules) has won the polling for the fans of KQ.

What the future holds, only the fans and Wolfgang can say.

That said, does anyone know anything about print on demand? Luna does this, and I was wondering if it was legal and within reason to print dungeon and dragon on demand? (Course $15 per month plus paying for two print on demand mags seems a bit steep, but we'll also be able to buy the pdfs a la carte at some point, and they might make this a reasonable goal).

He has it right.
They held a poll, to see what rules edition KQ should follow. Pathfiner (3.75) won, beating out both 4th and 3.5. Combine PF with 3.5'ers, since the two systems are close enough to use adventures for either, beats 4th votes by a ton. If they go by votes and community voices, KQ will be 3.75.

As I recall, Wizards isn't allowing the publishing of both 3rd and 4th edition material from one company/person, so they (the third parties) don't really have a choice. Blame Wizards for forcing it on everyone.
I don't have alot of computer access so I missed the poll. PF and 3.5 it is, that should help me out actually, most of my article submissions don't really work for 4E. Guess this means I'll have to go check out PF.
they said that full copies of dragon and dungeon will be released at the end of the month in PDF format well its the end off the month where are they ? !
they said that full copies of dragon and dungeon will be released at the end of the month in PDF format well its the end off the month where are they ? !

June ends, according to them, July 4th. *shrugs*
Plans are always subject to change.
I'm assuming they were a bit overzealous in their desire to toss a ton of content into the first mags and forgot how to read a calendar as a result.

Frankly, if that means we're getting more article, I'm willing to forgive them a little time slippage.

As long as the final PDF is compiled and not forgotten like the pre-previews were. Given that they're already PDF's it would seem highly unlikely, but only time will tell.

(EDIT)

Actually, looks like the Dragon #364 PDF is complete right now.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drtoc/364
(also - http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dutoc/155 )
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

He has it right.
They held a poll, to see what rules edition KQ should follow. Pathfiner (3.75) won, beating out both 4th and 3.5. Combine PF with 3.5'ers, since the two systems are close enough to use adventures for either, beats 4th votes by a ton. If they go by votes and community voices, KQ will be 3.75.

As I recall, Wizards isn't allowing the publishing of both 3rd and 4th edition material from one company/person, so they (the third parties) don't really have a choice. Blame Wizards for forcing it on everyone.

Actually Wolfgang felt the poll was scued by large numbers of Pathfinder supporters coming over to vote for their game. So he's not really giving the poll much credence.

What may decide it for him are the draconian terms of the GSL.
Heh, as I said, If they go by votes. In all honesty, I'm not sure if either system is going to be whats needed... but I suppose we'll just have to look at upcoming competitors. Maybe TNE.

Bummer looks like it's getting hard to find support for 4E these days. It is after all such an old system. ;)

Some humor intended.

Charles