Penny Arcade 4

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi when they put out the recent video Podcast I really wanted to see, and If possible download it but the link didn´t work for me then.
So I swalloed the bitter pill and downoaded itunes (I really wanted to avoid it) long story short I didn´t manage to download what I wanted (I managed it with VLC player later) but now I have somehow managed to have the Penny Arcade Podcast 4. So if you want it too go crazy and play with itunes. :D
I wonder when these were recorded. Before the rules were finalized, I'm guessing...

Because in every single episode, the DM keeps talking about natural 1:s being auto-miss. Which is not in the published books AFAIK.

Also, in this episode he flat out tells the dwarf fighter he needs to use a standard action for Second Wind. And this is at a critical juncture for the party, too. :P
Both of those are in the core rules.

I am having a ball listening to these podcasts.

He did get the rules for healing wrong (or they changed since it was recorded). He combined the DC 10 second wind and the DC 15 stabilize actions.
He may have decided that if he beat 15 (im assuming he did, I don't remember) that he qualified for both. This could be fudging the rules, or he wasn't thinking that hard about it or maybe he thought oh, t hey haven't used an action point so ill just have him do that and he probably won't use it (as they probably don't even know about them)

Second Wind is a standard action. And I believe 1s are an auto miss (and even if it weren auto, because its a 1 I would be shocked if you would be able to hit anything anyways unless you were fighting something far lower than yourself). And before I submitted this, page 276 I believe is where its located on the auto miss.
I'd like to point out that the cleric already stabilized on his own. Technically this seems to be a gray area in the rules - the Use Second Wind application of the Heal skill does not stipulate that you cannot use it on an unconcious party member - but at the same time, to a degree it doesn't seem to be intended, otherwise what would be the point of Stabilize The Dying? Then again, perhaps in the rare occasion the person you were on did not have a healing surge, it would be useful.

My guess is the GM let Scott (Binwin) use the Use Second Wind application of the skill with a DC of 15 instead of 10 because his target was unconcious, providing a healthy medium between the two rules.
I'd like to point out that the cleric already stabilized on his own. Technically this seems to be a gray area in the rules - the Use Second Wind application of the Heal skill does not stipulate that you cannot use it on an unconcious party member - but at the same time, to a degree it doesn't seem to be intended, otherwise what would be the point of Stabilize The Dying? Then again, perhaps in the rare occasion the person you were on did not have a healing surge, it would be useful.

My guess is the GM let Scott (Binwin) use the Use Second Wind application of the skill with a DC of 15 instead of 10 because his target was unconcious, providing a healthy medium between the two rules.

This actually came up in my game yesterday. The DC 10 allows a character to use the second wind action, but it can´t help if the target already used his second wind in this encounter. In this case the DC 15 is about the only way to prevent them from dying if you don´t have a healer.

Actually I believe the Cleric wasn't stablized, he just had not gotten worse. If I remember correctly, on the death saving throws you have to get a natural 20 to go back to 0 and use a healing surge. 10-19 is no worse/no better and under that is one strike.
Both of those are in the core rules.

A Dwarf uses a minor action for Second Wind, not a standard. Applying this rule would have made that combat a lot less tense.

And if "natural 1 always misses" is in the core rules somewhere, provide me a page reference please, because I can't find it.
page 276 I believe is where its located on the auto miss.

Ah OK. Missed that because it's not in the core mechanics or in the skills chapter. And hidden away in a single box in the combat chapter.

So it only applies to combat then?
And another thing: the DM isn't explaining to the Fighter how to use his Combat Challenge, which could have helped the party. Maybe he was trying to simplify things for the newbies?
And another thing: the DM isn't explaining to the Fighter how to use his Combat Challenge, which could have helped the party. Maybe he was trying to simplify things for the newbies?

Yeah I noticed that as well. Same with the action points. Again, I think it was the newbie aspect, plus they are working with the H1 adventure which I haven't seen so im not sure if it explains those rules in there or not.
Boy you guys answered some of my questions I had about the podcasts:

MY QUESTIONS:

1)Save DC for Wizard Effects?
ANSWER: Unmodified DC of 10.

2) You roll ONCE for damage on Wizard AOE spells?
Answer: ?

3) In the first podcast the DM mentioned that "Magic Missile" can be used to make "ranged basic attacks", which allows the wizard to use them as opportunity attacks...but in the rules it says only melee basic attacks may be used to make opportunity attacks. What's the deal here?

4) The Heal-Stabilize thing to use a free healing surge. So that is NOT how it works...but it seems like a decent rule for an understaffed party.
3) In the first podcast the DM mentioned that "Magic Missile" can be used to make "ranged basic attacks", which allows the wizard to use them as opportunity attacks...but in the rules it says only melee basic attacks may be used to make opportunity attacks. What's the deal here?

PHB, page 11, Basic Rule 2: Specific Overrides General.
I know that, but I don't see a specific rule anywhere that says that MM can be used for an OA, only that it can be used as a Ranged Basic Attack, and it doesn't say anywhere that a Ranged Basic can be used as an OA.
This isn't exactly the H1 adventure they are running. It has been modified in several ways. I'm thinking this was probably done so that anyone listening to it wouldn't know exactly what to expect if they played it. That and to remove alot of the complexity because they only had time for one play. Although eight hours is alot of time.
2) You roll ONCE for damage on Wizard AOE spells?
Answer: ?

Correct.

Another instance of the podcast being wrong for what ever reason. Magic Missile cannot be used for attacks of opportunity. There are things that grant a "basic attack" however and a wizard could use Magic Missile for those. Some of the warlords powers are an example.
Sign In to post comments