Dragon 364-Wolves of Maldeen

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Man everything in this article rocks. The writing is top notch. The concept of a "lone wolf" ronin type character who uses guerrilla tactics to fight evil is great, and all the game mechanics rock.

As a player I would pretty much want every magic item. Especially the Greaves and the Hood. Those are great movement abilities.

And the Paragon Path is pretty much the best Warlord Path I've seen.
Indeed, the article is one of the best ones Dragon has ever done. I have been fairly skeptical about D&DI since they announced it, and although I have been a subscriber of Dragon since the mid-90's, I have found few articles that were more than just a good read.

If the Wolves of Maldeen is any indication of the kind of material Dragon will be releasing every month, I will have to reconsider D&DI.
Very nice detail on the Gray Wolves, a pack of wandering warriors who protect those who unable to fight themselves. I enjoy how it brings out a Points of Light feel.

I'm currently not playing 4e (much) but I still wanna get the most use out of this wonderful article; if I overlook the crunch and focus on fluff, it can be ported into my 3.5 homebrew setting easily enough.

I've enjoyed Dragon for many years, so I'm not really surprised at the quality of this latest submission; it's what I've come to expect but tried to never take for granted. With Dragon apparently back on track ;), I'm looking forward to many more years of exciting reading, snatching ideas for my games, even as Dragon focuses on 4e.
/\ Art
Hmm, it's too long for an article that gives me access to a new feat and a paragon path *ducks*.

Seriously, that's the only thing out of the article that's of interest to me, now that Dragon magazine is a source for RPGA games. The feat, Against All Odds, will be absoloutly awesome on my Dwarven Ranger 'whirlwind attacker', since I want to be surrounded by enemies anyways to use my close blast powers.
I totally love it!!!!!

That said, I think we need to place credit where credit is due....not with the magazine per se (though it does deserve it's moment in the sun) but with the writer.

Nick Logue is constantly banging out fantastic stuff....

If you want more from him, check out sinister adventures...the link is in my sig....

It's the writing fiend's own company for god's sake!!!
Even with the 4E specific stuff removed, its still a great resource. Enough great information and background to save a Dm time to be able to introduce a group or even just a Story told in a Tavern by a Traveling Minstrel.

Drop a Hint about the Magic Items to get a Group off thier duffs from fireside in a local Tavern back onto a Cold Wet Road...

Scrolls or Books in a series that the Players seek out for a Sage..

Thank you Nick
Jeez! That is AWESOME stuff. Applause Applause!

Well done. If THIS is the kind of quality we can expect from Dragon (and DDi in general) then I am STOKED to see DDi as a whole. Keep up the good work!

Hugs, 20's, and Magic Missiles,

Ky
Articles like this one totally justifies my position of subscribing to the DDI for the magazine articles and online tools to those of my usual party still on the fence of 4th edition.
Brilliant article.

What is happening with the page numbering though. This article starts at page 43 and Ashen Covenant ends at page 46. Do I need to phase when I get to page 43...
I agree. That article is pretty good. A feat, some magic items, a new class pathway, and good background material.
Brilliant article.

What is happening with the page numbering though. This article starts at page 43 and Ashen Covenant ends at page 46. Do I need to phase when I get to page 43...

Well page 28 I think I can at least contrive an answer that might explain.
If it appears sidebar it could be on same pages, but I am sure there is no white space to indicate that.
Maybe final print will use smaller size font so that side bars and Ashen fit on the same pages?

I think we need to wait for completed mag to have answer to page questions.
Plans are always subject to change.
Thanks guys! Glad you dig on the Wolves! I had a lot of fun with this! Thanks too to Chris for giving me such an awesome assignment!
I enjoyed this article, though I was a little surprised after reading the fluff that the Paragon Path would be for Warlords. Was thinking fighters, but I suppose if they're leading other men..
I thought the article was well-written.

I did not much like the Hood of the Wolf, though; it is powerful, but I think it does too much. It has four persistant effects, whereas even the Halo of Fallen Stars has only three, plus a daily ability on top of all that.

I did like the paragon path and the fluff was solid. I don't know if I'll ever use any of it other than the PP, but I do like that PP a great deal and will probably allow its use at a minimum.
Anyone having problems downloading this? Other articles download find except this one I keep getting "file corrupt" message.

Ignore this post. Looks like it a issue on my box with FireFox 3. Works just fine in IE 6.
I am moving this thread to Dragon Article Discussion.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
This article was tops. Worthy of printing out.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
So this is basically a groupe of adventurers that fight monster, and use cool name for there groupe?

Very originale.

I like the idea of new paragon paths in Dragon on a regular basis. Plus, the article was very well written, with enough fluff to justify the mechanics.

The 4e design of paragon paths that seem to replace prestige classes is, I think, one of the better aspects of the new edition. Without heavy prerequisites or even heavy rules mechanics, you can plug in any number of fantasy archetypes. I always found my players just ignoring all the prestige classes because they didn't want to deal with plotting their career path to meet the prerequisites. Now, I see them wanting to play a paragon path because it is so much easier to deal with mechanically.

It really is more innovative than you think.
Paragon Paths and Prestige Classes are pretty much the same.

Their is going to be a flood of them, then people are going to be tired of them and they will appear less and less in future products. But until that time, a few broken ones will appeare in either a splat book or in Dragon article.

You will see new mechanics like Dragon Pacts, Team Spirits, Magical Sites appeare to replace them. There has to be some crunch in new books.

The same business model will preval.

So you would prefer...

---

It sounds like you're not responding to the article at all. That you're just sucking on sour grapes in general.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
You need rules for all that? They seem like pretty easy homebrew rituals/items to me.
It's not that I think those things are without merit, just that I don't see them as having more merit than what we got in this article, which was a nice bit of fluff for a goodly organization.

I also am not sure if you're asking for extra sub-systems of mechanics. I would much rather have a "bone casting" divination ritual that works like every other ritual than unique rules for bone casting. Again, I'm not sure if that's what you were asking for or not.
Well...after seeing the rules bloat in 3.x, I'm wary of any new sub-systems of mechanics, especially in an online article.
I guess its a matter of taste again. I saw your bloat as diversity and options for PCs and NPCs.

But with the Martial book coming soon, the FR setting, the Manual of the planes, the online Dragon mag, etc, I think that a rules bloat/power creaps are just around the corner. Like I said, its the same business model.

Diversity of options doesn't need to mean diversity of mechanics. In 3.x, depending on your class you're essentially playing a different game.

I wouldn't blame the "business model" for that.
It was nice to see the Class Acts: Wizards powers get and errata in the final PDF of Dragon 364.

I was disappointed to see that the Wolves of Maldeen article didn't get the same treatment.

The Straw Soldiers power raises several questions to me, by the wording of its effect.

Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: 1 creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Effect: You and your allies gain concealment against all attacks until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Minor: When you sustain this power, the concealment effect persists.

First off no range is listed for this effect, unlike other Warlord powers in the the PHB that affect allies. If range isn't listed for a power the it is determined by the weapon in this case the Warlord's melee weapon, hence only allies adjacent to the warlord are effected.

What happens if they move away? Or an ally moves adjacent while this is sustained.

Do the allies actually gain concealment or only effectively concealment (-2 to attack rolls) against attacks? Could a rogue attempt to hide while concealed by Straw Soldiers?