Dungeon 155 PDF Layout FAIL

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Keep on the Shadowfell: Playing H1 in Eberron ends on p28.
Heathen begins on p28.

plz fix
4e FTW
Keep on the Shadowfell: Playing H1 in Eberron ends on p28.
Heathen begins on p28.

plz fix
4e FTW

Maybe they share page 28?
Plans are always subject to change.
Maybe they share page 28?

They are both full pages in landscape format.
Perhaps they co-exist in parallel dimensions?

While they are fixing that could they fix the weird Skill Challenge and Change Shape mistakes in Heathen?
You just noticed that.

I posted about that 3 days ago...:D :D :D
Could they also add bookmarks and maybe links between the Adventure entry and the encounter page.
Could they also add bookmarks and maybe links between the Adventure entry and the encounter page.

Okay, SERIOUSLY you guys? Bookmarks? You can do it yourself. Minor typos? You can fix them yourself. PAGE NUMBERS? Good lord, you guys need to get a hobby. Or rather, you need to just start playing your hobby and stop heckling WotC for no reason. Everyone on this board is always having a fit over something...let it go.
Okay, SERIOUSLY you guys? Bookmarks? You can do it yourself. Minor typos? You can fix them yourself. PAGE NUMBERS? Good lord, you guys need to get a hobby. Or rather, you need to just start playing your hobby and stop heckling WotC for no reason. Everyone on this board is always having a fit over something...let it go.

While I agree with your general "chill out" sentiment, your message is lost in your delivery.

There's a few things to clarify here as well:

Bookmarks in a PDF refer to the ability to jump back and forth to different sections at a click. In a protected PDF (which it's reasonable to assume the magazines would be) the reader can NOT edit it to add bookmarks.

Typos, even minor ones, annoy some people - especially in a professionaly published document. Especially if that document is a preview of a product that people might pay for later.

Page numbers are the same way - especially if the compiled PDF says an article starts on page "x" and you type that page number into your reader and don't get the article you're looking for.

These aren't "non-issues" - though they shouldn't be "make or break" issues either.

However, as this is a full-on official preview of what the magazines will be like later, it's understandable that people will nit-pick more than a little.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

It is not for no reason.

From the first Dragon Editorial

"Over these next few months, we’ll be keeping an eye on the things you like and don’t like, making adjustments based on your feedback. Feel free to drop us a line at [email]dndinsider@wizards.com[/email] or post on the new Dragon and Dungeon forum. Your voice will help shape future content."

Feedback has been requested and this was one of the places suggested to provide that feedback.

Similarly they have requested feedback on the DnDInsider apps as they are released. So as long as people are commenting on why they don't like it, it's feedback and useful in the development of the program.

If you don't have anything constructive to say why bother posting. If you love it as is and can see no possible way to improve the site, feel free to say that, but don't berate other posters who are suggesting improvements, or pointing out flaws (no mater how minor).
Hey, you guys are right, sorry about my freak out. I just think the air around this section of the boards is a bit negative but it's true, the delivery of that sentiment was disrespectful and unecessary. So, I apologize.
Hey, you guys are right, sorry about my freak out. I just think the air around this section of the boards is a bit negative but it's true, the delivery of that sentiment was disrespectful and unecessary. So, I apologize.

It is easy to get that idea Gyro, people are displeased about how the insider has been going but a lot of people do want to help. However, the OP isn't really taking a useful tact by posting "FAIL" in the subject title. Being over dramatic when pointing out a flaw isn't really going to improve things any faster. If people who are posting about issues could stick to the facts and inject as little emotional response as possible then there will be a lot less contention around those issues.
To avoid sounding all negative, can I just add I like the Landscape format.
To avoid sounding all negative, can I just add I like the Landscape format.

You know what's really funny? That's the part that I dislike the most. lol. However, I think this is because of the way that I, as a DM, hold my adventures. I can see how the landscape format would be nicer behind a DM screen and such, just because of the way things generally sit. But I keep my adventures all in a binder, which makes the landscape format a big pain. But again, that's me, not WotC, so I guess I'll just have to find another way to deal with it...perhaps I'll keep them all in the binder for organization's sake, but during adventures keep them loose in front of me.
Or turn your binder sideways and print flip-book style. That makes things pretty easy. It did for me, anyway.
Or turn your binder sideways and print flip-book style. That makes things pretty easy. It did for me, anyway.

Wait, do you mean like a landscape-style binder? That could work quite well...if I can find one.
Wait, do you mean like a landscape-style binder? That could work quite well...if I can find one.

Well my guess is turn your binder 90 degrees when you use it.

Instead of flipping pages left or right, use same binder and flip pages toward or away from you.
The go left or right one existing binder could be a business check binder. Many are larger then landscape pages.
Well my guess is turn your binder 90 degrees when you use it.

Instead of flipping pages left or right, use same binder and flip pages toward or away from you.
The go left or right one existing binder could be a business check binder. Many are larger then landscape pages.

Sorry, you guys must have misunderstood me. That WAS what my problem with the landscape format was. When I do that, I have this huge thing that is too vertically long to fit anywhere. The far end of the binder would have to go under the DM screen or something, which makes it difficult once I start turning pages (because then they have nowhere to go).

Try a clip board?
Sorry, you guys must have misunderstood me. That WAS what my problem with the landscape format was. When I do that, I have this huge thing that is too vertically long to fit anywhere. The far end of the binder would have to go under the DM screen or something, which makes it difficult once I start turning pages (because then they have nowhere to go).

Get a bigger DM screen? I do not see a problem that you do, however I also do not see your gaming space. Portrait to landscape is something like 6" inches as far as using a binder as vertical space.

Try a clip board?

Do they still make them?

Clearly something that could work however page protection and page number can be an issue. Also DM screen might need to be wider.

Sorry, I guess I did misunderstand. In my gaming group, it's the horizontal space that's at a premium. So opening a binder the normal way (flipping pages like you do a normal book) was actually more intrusive than flipping it the other way. I didn't mind having the front cover extend out forward because it worked as a sort of mat for my dice to roll on. And when I flipped pages away, I could prop up the back side on my screen which made it easier to read.
I also do not see your gaming space.

My gaming space blows. That's what the real problem is here. lol

Do they still make them?

rofl
I have to admit that I don't like the landscape style either. I'll have to try the flipbook method out and see how that works. Regardless, I'm sure I'll get used to it.
I have to admit that I don't like the landscape style either. I'll have to try the flipbook method out and see how that works. Regardless, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Well the compiled Pretty Darn Funny appears to be in portrait instead of landscape. *shrugs*
Well the compiled Pretty Darn Funny appears to be in portrait instead of landscape. *shrugs*

Really? Mine's in landscape. . .
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Really? Mine's in landscape. . .

Hmm, perhaps version of reader I am using?
One of these days I might have to update my OS so I can get updated version of reader.