D&D is not a Spectator Sport

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have tried, I really have. However listening to the Penny Arcade Podcasts is just not doing it. What happened to the podcasts we were getting with tips tricks and ideas for players and DMs? Listening to a group play (without even seeing a map or anything to help visualize) does very little to help me personally. Please make the Penny Arcade stuff a separate podcast or something.
I actually like them, keep them coming.
Aaaaaaactually its not just an obvious marketing ploy. It's a well stated marketing ploy.

Penny-Arcade and PVPonline are web comics with a huge following of (hate to say it) nerds, geeks, dorks, you name it. I'm a big fan of both comics, so count me in one of the aforementioned categories, or more. This is a perfect opportunity for fans of the comics that have not had the D&D experience to get a feel for what the game is like. They are a primary target demographic here, the untapped market.

I think its a brilliant idea, and what's funny is it wasn't even WotC's idea. They approached Gabe/Tycho of Penny-Arcade and asked if those guys would participate in some marketing - and it was Gabe/Tycho that decided the best way to market the game was to be able to play it and put it out there.

Also, its not like you received your D&D podcast every week, this isn't really superseding that, we're getting a lot more content now. And on a final note,
do you really think any new podcasts from here on out are going to be about anything other than 4e? Do you really think the old podcast was anything other than a marketing ploy? Do I really think asking these questions will help you appreciate the Penny-Arcade podcast?

It's not for everyone, but you don't have to listen.
I actually like them, keep them coming.

I never asked them to stop just to be moved to their own podcast so my iPod doesn't think they are new ones I want to listen to and plays them.

And on a final note, do you really think any new podcasts from here on out are going to be about anything other than 4e? Do you really think the old podcast was anything other than a marketing ploy? Do I really think asking these questions will help you appreciate the Penny-Arcade podcast?

It's not for everyone, but you don't have to listen.

I am wanting 4th ed stuff but I am not wanting to listen to people game. I know from trying to get people into the game that you can't just sit and listen to get a real feel for how things are going. I know WOTC has received enough feedback and questions and such to make even another mailbag session, I am just asking that they go back to podcasts that were helpful and informative.

As I said before by all means continue with the Penny Arcade podcasts but have them be a separate podcast subscription.
Well then don't listen to them, simple as that. I've gotten a kick out of listening to them. Granted I'm generally reading/doing other stuff while I was listening to it, but I laughed at times.

Also, even though I have the 4th edition books, conflicting schedules mean my group's first 4th edition game will be next weekend, I'm running it and getting to listen to the gameplay is a nice preview.

Besides I find listening to Gabe's first fumbling steps into D&D with Jim Darkmagic and his incredible beginner's luck amusing.
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
I enjoy listening to them and actually look forward to hearing the new ones.
Only complaint I have about them is the editing / lack of editing.

Eating into the microphone, sudden, almost mid-paragraph ending of the podcast... I understand it's a larger recording chopped into pieces, but would it be that difficult to add an intro/outro?
I don't even bother listenning to them. Why listen to an obvious marketting ploy? Mix the new edition with populare net personnalities so the kids developpe the urge to buy the said edition. A shame.

So... they should stop doing that, do not do marketing, and hope that kids don't buy the game?

Yep, sounds like a plan.

Cheers, LT.
Only complaint I have about them is the editing / lack of editing.

Eating into the microphone, sudden, almost mid-paragraph ending of the podcast... I understand it's a larger recording chopped into pieces, but would it be that difficult to add an intro/outro?

I agree Shadracht, I wonder if they are using the Penny Arcade Downloadable Content podcasting gear rather than the Wizards of the coast editing/podcasting stuff.

D/L Content is one of my absolute favorite podcasts, the banter between those guys and the ability to "jump in the middle" of their creative process really draws me in. But literally, their podcast will start a good majority of the time with a half-thought, someone will then ask a few minutes in "are we recording?" and it doesn't really get better from there. It's just a cut away into these creator's lives, with no real beginning or end other than what you hear. The only hint given that they might be wrapping up is if you've read the comic and hear them finalizing the script, saying words true to what you've already seen. Otherwise it's a complete mystery until an abrupt and almost abrasive cutoff where the sound ends.

But other than that, I love both podcasts and want more.
And besides, it sounds like they were having a great time, and with Gabe noobing it up it's quite enjoyable.

So what if it's trying to sell me the books? I already bought the books. Now I am being entertained, in a new and interesting way.

It's what I want.
I guess I can see where you're coming from, but I personally love this podcast. It's entertaining as heck; these guys are pretty funny. Plus the first episode especially did a good job of explaining the new 4e rules. It's definitely easier hearing someone explaining it than trying to read through the rulebook (even though I knew the rules already...but that's because I had someone explain it to me...)
1) It's entertaining as heck; these guys are pretty funny.

2) Plus the first episode especially did a good job of explaining the new 4e rules. It's definitely easier hearing someone explaining it than trying to read through the rulebook (even though I knew the rules already...but that's because I had someone explain it to me...)

Numbers added by me, along w/ snip. (I'm a stickler for attribution).

Anyway, #1 is definitely true. It's fun to hear, and helps get me charged up about our upcoming campaign.

And #2 is perhaps more important. As a DM, there's three big books to pour through. Hearing them mention something, or how to do something, or whatever helps it stick in my mind, and also gives me a basis for a "did I miss that page" hunt through the books.
As I'm one of the last geeks who doesn't have an iPod, I finally took the time to burn these podcasts to CD and have been listening to them on my way to/from work.

They're actually a very interesting insight into how to get new players into the game, good organic GMing, and simply how to have fun with D&D.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

The way they constructed this is brilliant because they slowly introduce a lot of things that are new to 4th Edition, and I enjoy listening to it, although I'm not too pleased that it contains half-spoilers for KotS
I've really been enjoying the podcasts (I was a fan of Downloadable Content already). Their session sounds uncannily like playing with my old crew-- once the players have a rule explained to them, they immediately start figuring out how to use it to mess with the DM.
I've really been enjoying the podcasts (I was a fan of Downloadable Content already). Their session sounds uncannily like playing with my old crew-- once the players have a rule explained to them, they immediately start figuring out how to use it to mess with the DM.

I want to be another one added to the list of people who really enjoy these podcasts and am finding myself eagerly waiting the next one to see what happens next ;p