Dungeon 155-Adventure Heathen available...

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
... go check it out. Looks nice from the 2 mins I've browsed it so far.
It took you 2 Minutes to browse that. It took me that long to Download it maybe a little more...but thats another issue

Once again they failed to post the recommended Levels. For those of you who have not read it yet

5 Characters of 5th Level...Geez that was so Hard....

Well we get an indication of the Layout of the PDF if we every get to see a complied PDF..at first I thought I had a screwed up copy and only got a partial download...or they screwed up..1st page Number was 28..then I realized what was going on....had me scared for a bit.

I Like the Layout better in Landscape.

I liked the general concept...(even if you have not moved onto 4E using ) the Modual can be easily adapted to a "Frontier" or Edge of Civilization setting.

Artwork: Nice
Could have Used More
Cartography : Very Nice
Crisp and Simple, Not to detailed, yet very Useable

Suppliments: Although Not a Modual Issue, It would have been nice to actually get some. The Advantage of going Digital is Suppliments.
PS I Made Map Suppliments by Copying the Maps into paint and saving as JPGS....EMAIL Me if you would Like them already Converted. I will also be working on the Artwork..I use a digital projector when we play...

I would give it a :D :D :D :D out of 5 Rating
I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of this adventure. The Skill Challenge provides no help at all. The players succeed, and they still partake in F5. Or the players fail and they still partake in F5. I think I'll write my own alternative after I finish reading it.

What do others think of this? Is it railroading?
I think I'm not going to DL a module that doesn't have the expected party level in the blurb.

"for 5th level characters" is all of 24 keystrokes... why is it so hard for WotC to get them done?

Its certainly not news that we want it.
Any chance of the maps being set up as their own file?

the adventure is ok, I can work with it and make it fit my world/overall plot... but the maps (player maps mind you.. no GM keys) would go a long way
Once again they failed to post the recommended Levels. For those of you who have not read it yet

If it matters that much to you that you won't download it if it isn't at a particular level, Check out the ToC.
... go check it out. Looks nice from the 2 mins I've browsed it so far.

Cool thanks for the news Caid! I love Scott's stuff!
If it matters that much to you that you won't download it if it isn't at a particular level, Check out the ToC.

Wow..An Actuall Table of Contents, Thanks for the Link I never saw That before. Thats one of the problems with this new fangled digital format..lost, hidden or obscure links that are constantly changing.

So Quick Question for Ya...Which is right the Table of Contents which says 4th Level or The Adventure which says 5th Level

Many People don't have the oppertunity to spend lesuire time surfing every link. I hit the Main Page, Click Dungeon, see what shows up, Click Dragon see what on the Main Page. If its there I follow the Link if it looks interesting. I am talking about the Nice Buttons tha run left to right..Not the Ones on the Left that run up and down

Yes for some people it is important to know what level an adventure is, not everyone wants to use up computer space nor time downloading stuff Over and Over.
Any chance of the maps being set up as their own file?

the adventure is ok, I can work with it and make it fit my world/overall plot... but the maps (player maps mind you.. no GM keys) would go a long way

Another short comming that WOTC can't seem to over come. All it would take would be a couple of Mouse Clicks. I wonder if WOTC is too cheap to pay for Two versions or too lazy to ask. I know that most artist periodically back up files in case a freak computer acciedent occurs and they won't lose everything. I am betting some would be smart enough to back up a file prior to adding Markers for GM?
So Quick Question for Ya...Which is right the Table of Contents which says 4th Level or The Adventure which says 5th Level

HA!
I really like the adventure well done wotc keep up the good work.

I really like the adventure well done wotc keep up the good work.

I rather say

I really liked the Adventure. Thank You Scott Fitzgerald Gray

The Art Work was Great Thank You Steve Argyle, Brian Hagan, and Amir Salehi

The Maps were well Done Thank You Mike Schley

WOTC pull your heads outta the Dark and Provide some Useful Suppliments for this Adventure. They did a great Job on the Adventure now capitalize on thier work. Provide Digital Copies of the Maps both in Dm and Player Versions, Encounter Cards, to help a Dm out, Provide NPC Portraits and Scene Artwork as Digital Supliments for those of Us who use Projectors or play electronically already.

It matters more that this has been requested countless times, WotC staff have seen the request and said they were stupid for not thinking of doing it before, and would do it in future.

It is just another example of the fact WotC can't even managed some of the most basic stuff, and pay no attention to feedback at all.
It matters more that this has been requested countless times, WotC staff have seen the request and said they were stupid for not thinking of doing it before, and would do it in future.

It is just another example of the fact WotC can't even managed some of the most basic stuff, and pay no attention to feedback at all.

i am of a different opinion. it is listed in the table of contents. i have gotten used to playing with the buttons on the left of the page and read the table of contents when i saw it. i knew what adventure level it would be and, if i chose to follow keep on the shadowfell, knew that i could use it. not so sure if i could use it immediately or not, as i don't know enough about the new system to be able to accurately gauge the level requirement (my group was nearly killed during the second combat encounter in KoS - bad night for the player dice rolling, incredibly good night for the DM dice rolling).

i like the adventure idea. from what i saw when i read the adventure synopsis i knew that this was an adventure that i wanted to run. reading the adventure through, i am really impressed. if this is indicative of the quality of the articles, i am happy.
Not a fan of the flip back and forth Delve format. The KotS format was much, much better. If the Dungeon adventures will be flip back and forth, I'm out for sure.
i knew what adventure level it would be....

Actually you didn't since it's for fifth not fourth as it says in the ToC. Minor difference, but it still wouldn't cost them anything to have put that information on the Adventure own page and not just the ToC, since there are plenty of other ways to get to that page.
Actually you didn't since it's for fifth not fourth as it says in the ToC. Minor difference, but it still wouldn't cost them anything to have put that information on the Adventure own page and not just the ToC, since there are plenty of other ways to get to that page.

granted it probably could have appeared on the adventure's page in addition to the table of contents and it probably wouldn't have hurt to get the adventure level right.

acting as i am under the assumption that the level difference would just mean it was more challenging for my players (my players roll notoriously well), which is good because they had a tendency in 3.5 to squish carefully created baddies faster than i can print the character sheet i use for them.

i'm happy with the table of contents including the level an adventure is suited for, but can understand why that would still annoy some people. at this point i celebrate the small steps because the leaps and bounds have yet to come...
I'm not sure how much of a fan I am of this adventure. The Skill Challenge provides no help at all. The players succeed, and they still partake in F5. Or the players fail and they still partake in F5. I think I'll write my own alternative after I finish reading it.

What do others think of this? Is it railroading?

I feel a bit the same... I don't even understand exactly what they mean in the skill challenge when they reffer to Low DC penalty and High DC bonus. I haven't seen anything like this explained in the DMG. Also the endurance checks, why do we need them ? Is the weather so harsh ? And if so why not making the party lose one healing surge in case of a failure. Also if they fail at this group skill endurance check, what should I describe ? What about the nature checks ? Who performs it ? I had the feeling that in a skill challenge, everyone had to make some check according to an initiative. But in this scenario, I have the feeling that it's the nature guy who will perform them all. Also it doesn't really stipulate what happens when they succed on a nature check. Do they find a village ? It's my understanding, but it's not clearly written. I really hope WotC will post SOON an article concerning skill challenges with lots of examples of how it's working at the table.
Why is there no "Continuing the adventure" section? And why are they throwing a 5th level adventure at us now? They could've put up the first adventure of the new adventurer path, to tease us into subscribing to get the rest! Work smarter, WotC!

Tev xxx
I must be stupid or something, but I find the Skill Challenges presented here to be very hard to understand, mechanically.

* What is this "Difficulty"? The same as "Complexity"?
* In the first challenge it says "Other checks occur only when the PCs arrive in an inhabited village, as determined by the results of their Nature checks", but there is nothing about this under "Nature" below.
* And what's with the DCs? In the first challenge they run high (18, 22, 26, 22, and 22), but in the second they are mostly very low (21, 13, 13, and 13).
* I don't understand the frequent "Low DC Penalty" and "High DC Bonus". What are those?

This is a new rules set. Adventures from WotC should help us understand it, not confuse us.
I liked it. It gave me something to help base adventures off of format wise. The adventure it self is pretty good and only takes about 8 hours to play through if you only have one bathroom break and snack in between enconters.

And the idea of dire pike pulling boats was my favorite part which I am stealing for my campaign setting.
Why is there no "Continuing the adventure" section? And why are they throwing a 5th level adventure at us now? They could've put up the first adventure of the new adventurer path, to tease us into subscribing to get the rest! Work smarter, WotC!

Tev xxx

If they threw up the first instalment in a new adventure path now, they would probably get it finished before the rest of the DnDInsider... :D

I imagine they don't want to compete with H1, and also provide something for people that have completed H1 to continue onto, since H2 is still a while away.

Shame they still haven't worked out how links or even the bookmark features works in Acrobat, as being able to jump between the adventure and the delve encounters would be really useful. As it is the Delve format is horrible in PDF form.
I haven't seen anything like this explained in the DMG.

Ah that's a bit of worry then I assumed they were covered in the DMG, I've not received mine yet.
* What is this "Difficulty"? The same as "Complexity"?

Yes
Seems to me Heathen was written for an earlier version of the rules, where Skill Challenges were different, and Complexity was Difficulty and you had this Low DC and High DC business. Then not edited properly before going to press.

Another error I've spotted is on page 33, in Development.

"Dead doppelgangers revert to normal form, revealing
cult tunics and Naarash talismans (see below)."

That's incorrect as Change Shape (see MM280) the doppleganger ability only changes there physical form not any items worn or carried. So if they are wearing cult tunics and not Pelor ones then it's pretty obvious from the start.

Again most likely caused by writing for an earlier version of polymorph, that was more like 3rd Ed.
I imagine they don't want to compete with H1, and also provide something for people that have completed H1 to continue onto, since H2 is still a while away.

Ugh, thats annoying. I wanted something to play simultaneously with H1 for another group. Anyone have any idea when it'll be out?
Yeah same here, I guess I'm going to have to find out just how much the new system makes preparing adventures easier. :P
Seems to me Heathen was written for an earlier version of the rules, where Skill Challenges were different, and Complexity was Difficulty and you had this Low DC and High DC business. Then not edited properly before going to press.

Another error I've spotted is on page 33, in Development.

"Dead doppelgangers revert to normal form, revealing
cult tunics and Naarash talismans (see below)."

That's incorrect as Change Shape (see MM280) the doppleganger ability only changes there physical form not any items worn or carried.

Wow ! Good catch !

I think you're right saying it was written with previous versions of the rules. At least this is the way it feels to me. I hope that will improve in the future.

Otherwise I liked very much the fact that this was not a dungeon crawling ! More of that pleasssse. :D
Wow ! Good catch !

I think you're right saying it was written with previous versions of the rules. At least this is the way it feels to me. I hope that will improve in the future.

Otherwise I liked very much the fact that this was not a dungeon crawling ! More of that pleasssse. :D

Hopefully the fact that its a PDF will allow WotC to fix this. Apart from the errors, it seems pretty interesting, but I have no use for it at the moment. Guess I'll save it on my harddrive for now!
Hopefully the fact that its a PDF will allow WotC to fix this.

Yes it will allow them, if they actual do I will be pleasantly surprised, no actually I'll be amazed.

If they are actually reading this thread I'll be surprised.
Yes it will allow them, if they actual do I will be pleasantly surprised, no actually I'll be amazed.

If they are actually reading this thread I'll be surprised.

Haha, maybe we should email them?

Nahh...
I rather say

I really liked the Adventure. Thank You Scott Fitzgerald Gray

The Art Work was Great Thank You Steve Argyle, Brian Hagan, and Amir Salehi

The Maps were well Done Thank You Mike Schley

Uhm.. actually the maps were done by Sean Macdonald. I'm hoping they can update the PDF soon to reflect that.
Wow, I really like this adventure. I'm gonna try & work it into my campaign. Gonna take some serious re-writing since nobody in my campaign cares about Bane, but I'm sure the local BBEG can re-tailor all the cloaks :D

Oh, and in the compiled Dungeon PDF they fixed the "Sean Macdonald" error. Dunno about the others.
Sign In to post comments